• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Playing through the story will explain those soon enough. You must still be in the very early going. It won't take long.
The game eventually introduces them to you. But basically you tap them to make a combination of whatever is on the wall and whatever runes you have to trigger bonuses like treasure chests, weapon boxes, coin geysers, extra lives, etc.
They are used to cast temporary boosts, reveal hidden treasures and paths. Not all of them are useful though, and it's kind of a pain to use them.

Gotcha, thanks. Yeah, I only just beat the Doom Beetle for the first time.

Seil

Don't think so; he doesn't even have a health bar during that part.

He actually does have a health bar. It's just not a boss health bar. You have to tap him like a normal enemy. When you "defeat" him it triggers the running away. So yeah, it's not possible to actually kill him.

So are the treasure chest ratings random? fixed? changeable?
And along those lines, what does the loot rating (S-E) really communicate? Its easy to grock other game's loot systems based upon color, but I'm not sure here what a S rank means for a given piece of loot in this game. More durability? More effects? Stronger effects? All of the above? Is it anything in particular?

I really think they should remove the "player skill" note in class descriptions. I think some are avoiding him because of his perceived lack of depth.
You'd also think that all those additional classes would appreciate the protection on hand, and it seems like the Fighter can also dish out some pretty solid damage quickly. Fighter is my main and I've been digging it so far.

And along those lines, what does the loot rating (S-E) really communicate? Its easy to grock other game's loot systems based upon color, but I'm not sure here what a S rank means for a given piece of loot in this game. More durability? More effects? Stronger effects? All of the above? Is it anything in particular?

You'd also think that all those additional classes would appreciate the protection on hand, and it seems like the Fighter can also dish out some pretty solid damage quickly.

S loot should be better in general than everything below it. There are exceptions though.

Seil

So are the treasure chest ratings random? fixed? changeable?

I haven't seen a definitive answer anywhere. They seem extremely random, with the more extravagant chests having a higher rating on average. When you chain dungeons you can get a modifier that increases treasure rating on subsequent runs, though. Liquid Luck might also have an effect. I've also seen speculation about higher score possibly affecting it but I haven't tried looking for a correlation.

Edit:

Increased item rating generally has a better damage range(for weapons) and often better/more abilities. Though it's possible for a low rating to have multiple abilities, it's extremely common for an S rank to have many. For the damage range, S-rank weapons usually have a smaller gap between minimum and maximum in my experience.

Pejo

So I started with Wizard, beat the game, then switched to Elf, loved the playstyle, beat the game and did every quest on her. I'm about halfway through NG with Fighter now, and it's kinda....boring, after the elf. Once you get flipping around and comboing into the air and charging a shot, just feels too good.

So far i've seen every class represented pretty well online, with the exception of Dwarf. Really wish they would have given us the thief playable. Ah well, DLC maybe!

It's kinda funny, the hardest boss remains for me the damn
Rabbit.

That 1 hit KO move combined with tiny hitbox makes him a real pain.

RangerBAD

I think I've met exactly one other fighter in online play.

I use Fighter. :D

okay, so I did the mission where I found the village girls in the catacombs but
they all got bitten and turned into vampires
, am I gonna miss out on something because of this?

I believe it's just talking about the
vampires you have slain and not the girls you saved. Their health can go down to 0 and then I guess they turn (haven't had this happen). Later on there's a quest where you can't let them die in that fight.

Gartooth

Wow fuck this final boss. A complete mood killer considering the entire rest of the game I was having fun and enjoying a good challenge until this BS. I'm a level 33 Amazon and I can't for the life of me beat this fucker.
When fighting the dragon I'm loaded with numerous buffs and healing items, in addition to working for max damage. I'm good at countering every single one of his attacks and I can make it through 2/3 of his health bar in the fight. It's near the end when (and fuck the designer who decided this was a good idea) the skeletons show up, especially those that glow blue and have crossbows, that I completely lose my concentration and have to focus on either repelling the dragon or dealing with the skeletons, but again they take too much time to kill. It eats my lives and health quickly whereas before I was able to get through most of the fight on a single life.
Been working on finishing every sidequest available (and right now I've finished all of them that the game made available at the moment) that the game gives me and leveling up, but I still can't take down that boss and doing it with AI co-op makes the fight too difficult to be worth it.

I love the difficulty of the final boss fight. Yeah it surprised me too, but it's like Synn (from Mystara) 2.0. Good times.

S rank gear - at least weapons - tends to have tighter weapon damage ranges. Lower rank weps have bad ranges, like really low bottom number while having similar upper number.

I'm guessing the armor items have the same thing, but the stats are higher, or you have unique or unusual stats you don't see on A or Lower.

Seil

The final boss was insanely easy for me on Normal. Perhaps it's because I'm an elf? I had more difficulty with a couple of the normal bosses.

I fought the
Red Dragon
then the final boss and it caused me to be fearful of it. So I was kind of let down by how easy it ended up being...

Raxus

The final boss was insanely easy for me on Normal. Perhaps it's because I'm an elf? I had more difficulty with a couple of the normal bosses.

I fought the
Red Dragon
then the final boss and it caused me to be fearful of it. So I was kind of let down by how easy it ended up being...

Elf is one of the strongest characters in the game so it is hard to compare. Clone Strikes do serious work on the dragon boss even without modifiers.

Increased item rating generally has a better damage range(for weapons) and often better/more abilities. Though it's possible for a low rating to have multiple abilities, it's extremely common for an S rank to have many. For the damage range, S-rank weapons usually have a smaller gap between minimum and maximum in my experience.

S rank gear - at least weapons - tends to have tighter weapon damage ranges. Lower rank weps have bad ranges, like really low bottom number while having similar upper number.

I'm guessing the armor items have the same thing, but the stats are higher, or you have unique or unusual stats you don't see on A or Lower.
Thanks for the observations. Still trying to get a handle on things, but the damage range values make sense. I guess I just expected S rank to be heads and shoulders above the rest, but it seems to be purely the other end of the spectrum of general quality.

Gartooth

I solo'd that fight 6 times before I gave up and just ran to tavern to get co-op skies. I'm not sure how people are finding that the AI co-op partners scale the difficulty as I've found the complete opposite to be true.

Anyway, try getting an elf or three to tag with you. Kite the dragon while they take to the air or shoot vertically.

Thanks for the tips, will try later. I noticed though that when I bring co-op partners the boss not only has more HP, but his "spells" are harder to negate with attacks as well. Considering the co-op partners have rocks for brains and don't help me destroy the spells, I usually end up getting caught in a blast that otherwise wouldn't have been a problem. The boss itself isn't too bad as long as I pay attention to it, it's just the minions that are distracting and get in the way that ruin the fight for me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I fought the
Red Dragon

I had no problem with the final boss either.

If people are trying to take on the final boss solo, recognize that you're handicapping yourself. This game was designed around having allies, even A.I. allies. If you're making a conscientious decision to go about it solo, it will be harder, and that's a choice that you made.

I had no problem with the final boss either.

If people are trying to take on the final boss solo, recognize that you're handicapping yourself. This game was designed around having allies, even A.I. allies. If you're making a conscientious decision to go about it solo, it will be harder, and that's a choice that you made.

I burned through so many allies on the Final Boss.

Until I realized that I was using Holdout Dagger with Salamandar oil for weak American damage.

Once I started using Impact Shot with clone strikes he went down quickly before he could finish me.

Fuck the crossbow skeletons.

Ultimadrago

Hell yeah. I love my black japanese randy savage.

Hah, my exact choices.

I fought the
Red Dragon

I'm a Dwarf and Grand Smashed the final boss into infinity on Normal. I wonder if the same will go for Hard.

Power shot + impact arrows + clone strikes crouch charged is real soviet damage.

Also this will help
BRgjdTDCUAA7UM1.jpg:large

I tried the (normal) final boss at level 31, used up all my continues and died. I went on a marathon session and obtained 15 S-rank items and levelled up to 35. Went on to try the final boss again.

Strange thing happened, I saw chunks of the final boss's life going down, but I had no idea if it was me hurting it. I was using the Sorceress air jump lightning storm and rock press. And oh yeah...DAT Protection is REALLY awesome. No stun animation!

It seem really easy the second time. Didn't even use a life point. Most of the S rank items I got were pretty shitty though. Bleh.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I tried the (normal) final boss at level 31, used up all my continues and died. I went on a marathon session and obtained 15 S-rank items and levelled up to 35. Went on to try the final boss again.

Strange thing happened, I saw chunks of the final boss's life going down, but I had no idea if it was me hurting it. I was using the Sorceress air jump lightning storm and rock press. And oh yeah...DAT Protection is REALLY awesome. No stun animation!

It seem really easy the second time. Didn't even use a life point. Most of the S rank items I got were pretty shitty though. Bleh.

Yeah, Protection is arguably the Sorceress' most useful spell for the super armor alone. It's fantastic.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Level 99 finally キタ━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ッ

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Do I need to be carrying multiple weapons in one bag?

Depends on if you want to swap for elemental reasons as a caster or to powerslam then equip a new weapon on dwarf/fighter/amazon

Protip as well for casters, class usable items can be put in every single bag and each bag will have it's own set of charges. So yeah that should help with long long long runs :)

RangerBAD

Depends on if you want to swap for elemental reasons as a caster or to powerslam then equip a new weapon on dwarf/fighter/amazon

With Fighter I don't really have much skill in powerslam related stuff. Only use it to take advantage of The True Fist. My other bags have other equip sets for when things break while on long adventures.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
With Fighter I don't really much skill into power slam related stuff. Only use it to take advantage of The True Fist. My other bags have other equip sets for when things break while on long adventures.

In that case, you'll be swapping bags enough where it shouldn't really matter. There's no other real reason for a Fighter to have multiple weapons unless he plans on sticking it out with a particular bag for the long haul or his weapons have super weak durability.

Other characters, like magic users, get a fresh set of uses on their magic when they switch bags, so it's a little more of a requirement.

RangerBAD

In that case, you'll be swapping bags enough where it shouldn't really matter. There's no other real reason for a Fighter to have multiple weapons unless he plans on sticking it out with a particular bag for the long haul or his weapons have super weak durability.

Other characters, like magic users, get a fresh set of uses on their magic when they switch bags, so it's a little more of a requirement.

I noticed you powered through the rest of your quests. lol Had a horrible time with online today and lost a lot of progress. Dragon's Crown seems to have a lot of glitches related to multiplayer.

Ooccoo

Hopefuly they announce some DLC soon otherwise I could see myself playing lots of other upcoming games instead. The game has been a blast but I'm pretty much done with it. I'll still grind to 99 and get everything though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I noticed you powered through the rest of your quests. lol Had a horrible time with online today and lost a lot of progress. Dragon's Crown seems to have a lot of glitches related to multiplayer.

Yeah, I knocked most of them out over the weekend.

Usually the online is okay because if you get disconnected you can still save your progress since it creates a new local game for you. Very rarely has it completely booted a buddy and they lost all their progress. It's super unfortunate, especially considering that the game encourages extended sessions of dungeon hopping to stack those bonuses.

Alchemy

Just wanted to drop in and say I picked this up off Amazon. Preordered, got it on Friday. Surprised that it came with an art book, its pretty decent quality. This game goes on the pile until I clear through some Steam stuff, but I can't wait.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Revived some 80+ online bones and took down the ancient dragon on inferno without anyone losing a stock. At around 40 hours of sorceress now. Going to start an elf as soon as I'm finished with floor 9 of the post game dungeon (´ x ω x `)

FlipWilson

Neo Member
if anyone can help me out;

I'm trying to do the quest where you have to "deflect magic with a giant shield and find some doll" how exactly do I do that!?

playing as the fighter

Gartooth

Yes!! Finally defeated the final boss, thanks for the tips guys! For the longest time I had trouble adding in AI partners on the boss because they kept getting killed. However when I tried it this time I just focused on countering spells and running out of the way to avoid blasts and it seems like my partners weren't taking nearly as much damage, and in the end it helped getting the boss' health down that much faster.

Now the big question remains for whether or not I should tackle Hard mode with my Amazon, or try out another character class.

Sgblues

if anyone can help me out;

I'm trying to do the quest where you have to "deflect magic with a giant shield and find some doll" how exactly do I do that!?

playing as the fighter

Oh in the room, just pickup the shield and block the green, swirly magic that the evil wizard guys shoot at you.

maomaoIYP

I solo'd that fight 6 times before I gave up and just ran to tavern to get co-op skies. I'm not sure how people are finding that the AI co-op partners scale the difficulty as I've found the complete opposite to be true.

Anyway, try getting an elf or three to tag with you. Kite the dragon while they take to the air or shoot vertically.

I've beaten the last boss with all 6 characters solo, never had an issue.
Fighter - Just mash square, block and bash when necessary
Dwarf - Power smash and throw, just like what I did for the entire game
Amazon - War paint then brandish away, incite rage as a desperation move
Sorceress - Protection, then jump with up + square with an ice staff
Wizard - Blaze, then jump with up + square with an ice staff
Elf - Clone strikes, power shot, impact arrow, then just up + circle charged.

I'm about 7 hours in as a level 18 fighter. I usually never play beat em ups, but this game is a blast to play. Can't wait to unlock multiplayer any minute. About to go hunting for the talisman.

I've had no FPS issues on the Vita version. It's smooth sailing.

Caerith

I buried a hacked character and got an amulet. I sold it at Morgan's for like 1000 something gold.

I don't know if the item was hacked or not.

My heart is fine.
Fixed that for you.

Speaking of graveyards, over on the Atlus forums I made a thread about some unaddressed bugs that I hope get patched.

Top Bottom