• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

I honestly have no idea what inclinations my pawn has right now, because I never use him for anything.

As soon as I finish trading items or whatever I need, back into the briny deep he goes and I continue my soloing adventures. XD

ApolloJoh

Haven't played in a few days, checked the inn:

photo22oazx.jpg

Nice.

It's funny 'cause I gave my friend 1,000,000 RC once in the original.

It probably should've been more since I was grinding Everfall at the time but I guess that was (and still might be) the maximum amount you can receive from a friend.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
How did you manage to spend 2 mil RC? I started BBI with 4 mil, and now I'm up to 6.

Purifying everything? Been through Daimon 2.0 and multiple rare drops off carrion creatures more times than I can count at this point. Probably should have cut the priority down on the lvl1 and 2 stuff but.. yah.. last night i went to purify the armor and weapon from another daimon run and the 25k on was lit but the 28 was all greyed out. Confused at 6 in the morning i sit up and look at the screen trying to find out wtf is up

well.. i was godamn broke. That's whats up.

Doesn't help that i've been skipping fights/chests for quite a while now and just farming daimon. 50k or so every run... adds up fast if you aren't also collecting RC as you play..

Are these games playable without relying on the pawn system? I don't want to micromanage, I just want to go on an adventure.

What I mean is, can I just get by with the default pawns or however this game introduces them or do I have to constantly swap around, make mine available to level up when I'm offline etc?

Eusis

Are these games playable without relying on the pawn system? I don't want to micromanage, I just want to go on an adventure.

What I mean is, can I just get by with the default pawns or however this game introduces them or do I have to constantly swap around, make mine available to level up when I'm offline etc?
You'll need to summon in others eventually, but you can just go to a riftstone, look for the classes you want, and go from there. Aside from maybe avoiding the Guardian inclination you don't need to worry about them too much, just looking at their stats/abilities to see if they're what you want or need. You can't actually manipulate them that much, at most you can put equipment on them that ends up being a gift. YOUR one pawn you'll get to customize as heavily as the main character, but that's it.

A tip for anyone doing solo Daimon runs using Bloodlust/Autonomy: Sleep till nightfall at Gran Soren > ferrystone back to BBI > run/sprint through all areas/enemies > kill Daimon, get loot > leave and deposit stuff with Olra > immediately run through again.

I use a Ranger, with Revenant Wail and Framae Blades. Each go, I only need 5 Large Mushrooms, 1 Tagilus' Miracle, and 1 Conqueror's Periapt to beat him (or 2 of either). The entire run takes just about 10 minutes and you can kill him twice before nightfall is over and you lose the augment bonuses.

If you don't have the Revenant Wail / Framae Blades, just pop more periapts -- you can buy tons from Fournival.

Again, if anyone finds a chest with Dragon's Pain in it on BBI, let me know. Even Dragonforged, my Bardiche Daggers are showing their age at this point and the Chilling Razors I got from Lv.1 Bitterblack Weapon aren't much better. I really, REALLY don't want to have to go all the way through the main game for an upgrade on them when pretty much every other weapon type has popped up. :(

If you're still looking for Dragon's Pain go to the 2nd stratum, in the area with the door to the safe area -- the big, square stair case room. Usually has Sulfur Saurians in it -- there is a chest behind a bunch of boxes and an oil pot that drops Dragon's Pain, they showed up in there today.

I think Dragon's Vein are now more powerful than Pain, though.

So you didn't notice new/different quests between NG+/post-dragon?

I've only found one BBI Notice Board Quest that isn't available post-dragon: you have to destroy a Silver and Gold Knight at the Everfall (where you fist encounter the tentacles).

Anyone know how many days you need to sleep in grand soren to get BBI chests to spawn? 7 or 1 or?

Some chests respawn after 3 days, some after 7. So far, only the chests in the area around Olra, are the ones to take 7.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Even if you don't play online, the two support pawns outside of your main pawn don't level up. So you do have to update them with newer pawns that are closer to your current level.

maomaoIYP

Purifying everything? Been through Daimon 2.0 and multiple rare drops off carrion creatures more times than I can count at this point. Probably should have cut the priority down on the lvl1 and 2 stuff but.. yah.. last night i went to purify the armor and weapon from another daimon run and the 25k on was lit but the 28 was all greyed out. Confused at 6 in the morning i sit up and look at the screen trying to find out wtf is up

well.. i was godamn broke. That's whats up.

Doesn't help that i've been skipping fights/chests for quite a while now and just farming daimon. 50k or so every run... adds up fast if you aren't also collecting RC as you play..

I've been farming daimon too, but I collect many items before purifying. This way I can preview all of them and then switch vocations at every required item to get the best desired result. I've already got all the best weapons and most of the armor with minimal wastage, I've only beaten daimon 25 times.

My pawn and I both having over 1000 defense now actually makes me feel like I can fight a super drake on the ground and not die. I

I have so much gear all level 2 rarefied, but it's a pretty bad looking combination...

Immortal's Helm, Patterned Gambeson, Sovereign's Mantle, Trophy Jacket, Trophy Bracers, and Assault Boots.

Yeah...

My pawn is so much cooler looking. She has the Immortal's Jacket, Sinners Gloves, the mercenary whatever-you-call-them boots, the unicorn horn, and a scarlet cape.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I've been farming daimon too, but I collect many items before purifying. This way I can preview all of them and then switch vocations at every required item to get the best desired result. I've already got all the best weapons and most of the armor with minimal wastage, I've only beaten daimon 25 times.

See i've got almost all the weapons except for the spear tip daggers... so much so that i started popping repeats of both the mag/sorc staves, Enchanted archer bow and so on. I think besides those daggers there are maybe 2 or 3 other weapons that i want to find before I call it quits... BUT ... i really really want to get a hellfire/sinner/betrayer armor sets and I have had absolutely NO luck outside of the sinner greaves and gauntlets (i don't count the mask because somehow that popped for me insanely early. I suppose from a quest or rare drop. I forget now.)

All the immortal gear, the shadow gear (which is amaaaaaazing for my assassin), the grave gear and the carrion chest piece all came as i expected through making the motions and turning enough things in to purify ... it's only that I started to pop doubles of stuff somewhat regularly that i made me want to know the exact order.

It's odd tho .. as it seems almost every time (almost) i'll get 2 repeats and 1 new unique item off Daimon... just a pain n the ass when you get an elite lantern (....uh.. yay?) as the new piece and two been there done that mage items as the other.

Also - to any and all warrior lovers out there... bitter end with the proper augs and one of the master rings focused towards stagger is innnnsaaaaannnneeee.... nothing like knocking everything short of the GoreCyclops around like a rag doll to make you feel like a bamf.

Yeah crystals are always in short:( I'm finally getting a good amount of lvl2 cursed items but no rc to purify.

As mao said, it's best to wait till you have like 5-6 items of one type, then purify to see what you get, write down the order, change vocation appropriately to see what alternatives you'll get
then godsbane, retry and swap vocations for each item.
That way you'll only have to reequip your shit once too.

I just did it for two weapons (since I need weapons urgently) and instead of a MK bow and a warrior mace I got a fighter shield and daggers that I needed.

Question: do you get more RC when you are near the end boss? I'm past the double gore cyclopses now in the bloodless area (reluctant to kill death cos I'll lose my minions again and I already have no rc as IS) I get like 25k from running the area just before the second shortcut but I get items faster than I get rc to purify em with :(

Also any tips for fighting death? He's normally super easy but where the game wants me to fight him it is pitch pitch dark with water all around (so my lantern keeps going out) , it's so dark I can't see him charge up his scythe.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I'm contemplating going to the BBI alone, is that suicide? I haven't fought Grigori yet and I've been adventuring throughout the world alone with very minimal difficulty. I'm a level 64 fully leveled Mystic Knight with all skills unlocked. It's my class of choice but I think I'll dabble in the other classes to get their attunements that will benefit my MK. Or should I just continue leveling and then venture out to the BBI.

If you're still looking for Dragon's Pain go to the 2nd stratum, in the area with the door to the safe area -- the big, square stair case room. Usually has Sulfur Saurians in it -- there is a chest behind a bunch of boxes and an oil pot that drops Dragon's Pain, they showed up in there today.

I think Dragon's Vein are now more powerful than Pain, though.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I can't get Dragon's Vein as I'm far, far away from fighting Grigori. If you can, would you tell me the name of the area when you get the chance? I'd appreciate it.

I'm contemplating going to the BBI alone, is that suicide? I haven't fought Grigori yet and I've been adventuring throughout the world alone with very minimal difficulty. I'm a level 64 fully leveled Mystic Knight with all skills unlocked. It's my class of choice but I think I'll dabble in the other classes to get their attunements that will benefit my MK. Or should I just continue leveling and then venture out to the BBI.

I started soloing at BBI at L40, should be fine.

njean777

I have 50 dollars on PSN and was thinking about buying this game. If I like RPGs and I loved Demon Souls will I like Dragons Dogma? I never played the first one. Its between this game and Ni No Kuni

Umm as somebody who is playing this and Dark Souls at the same time they are both very different. The Souls games are way more serious (tone,slower, more strategic), but DD is not so serious. The combat is very good in this game, yet not as strategic as Dark Souls I would say. DD is more hack and slash, mixed with skills as well. There is a stamina bar, but it never becomes as important as the stamina bar in the souls games. I would say pick it up, it is far different and has its quirks, but in the end it is worth the 40$.

I'll try to send you the dagger again dragoon, I didn't see your messages on psn (no idea why but they never pop up, trying to message people on consoles is so frigging obtuse and archaic)

edit: ok I found him
Check in 2 mins for the dagger

It wouldn't let me give it to your pawn, so I sent you dragon's vein instead (which is better than pain since dark arisen)
I'm not sure why the pain didnt work, maybe you can't gift BBI items?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Corsick

Is beating Daimon the second time supposed to be this hard? I switched back to warrior after I got the Twinpaler and his
second form
is really hard for me to kill now. He just doesnt seem to take a lot of damage and I have 2150 strength and a pretty good weapon.

maomaoIYP

Is beating Daimon the second time supposed to be this hard? I switched back to warrior after I got the Twinpaler and his
second form
is really hard for me to kill now. It just doesnt seem to take a lot of damage and I have 2150 strength and a pretty good weapon.

Yes. And you're doing it with a warrior no less! Props.
Try gold forging your weapon. Or use the vocation that can use the lvl 3 weapon that you got from him the first time you killed him.

Btw alpha if you 're going BBI level your warrior vocation to 9 for the 20 percent str boost (if you haven't already), bloodlust is also pretty much mandatory till you find a lvl 2 bbi weap. I didn't have it the warrior one and I got NOWHERE with a maxed dragon's vein, just didn't have enough damage to break the treshold until I gained a whole bunch of levels

Anyone else tried warrior against cursed dragons? Warrior seems kind of shitty overall but it works amazing against those things, just latch on and bash the heart, every hit takes about 20 percent of an hp bar.

Also random tip for others:
If you make it to the shortcut, backtrack from the shortcut to the big 3 floor stair case, at the bottom is a chest that seems to have some bone armor in it (found it twice in a row now ) that sells for 360k.
Making loads of gold just running the part before the second shortcut.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Anyone else tried warrior against cursed dragons? Warrior seems kind of shitty overall but it works amazing against those things, just latch on and bash the heart, every hit takes about 20 percent of an hp bar.

War against all dragons is an absolute beast. Once you get a hold of a BBI warrior weapon you can basically sit underneath them and stagger lock em to death. Not to mention if you time one of their charged strikes correctly you can knock them out of a charge attack with a strike to the face.
Pure dmg beasts if you do it right.

maomaoIYP

Wow...I've hit him like 10 times in a row on his second face and it did nothing with a lvl 2 BBI weapon ;__;. I'm thinking my attack speed might be an issue as well.

I wish fighting him was more fun for melee classes, especially for warriors. Climbing to his face and bashing away doesn't make use of the warriors' or fighters' awesome skills.

I wish fighting him was more fun for melee classes, especially for warriors. Climbing to his face and bashing away doesn't make use of the warriors' or fighters' awesome skills.

I feel like warriors and fighters probably aren't having too much fun with BBI.

I just curb-stomped the Gazer and I readily admit I have no idea how I would have tackled that fight as a warrior.

Corsick

I feel like warriors and fighters probably aren't having too much fun with BBI.

I just curb-stomped the Gazer and I readily admit I have no idea how I would have tackled that fight as a warrior.

To be honest, the only fight that felt hopeless for me was prisoner gorecyclops. I remember I had two in one courtyard and a bunch of those necrophage beasts spawned and I killed those and got one cyclops to half health after an hour. Had to use 3 wakestones just to get that far with some traitor's gear on as well.

Arklite

You guys have luck climbing it? He does a full body immolation move before I can get anywhere near his chest.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
To be honest, the only fight that felt hopeless for me was prisoner gorecyclops. I remember I had two in one courtyard and a bunch of those necrophage beasts spawned and I killed those and got one cyclops to half health after an hour. Had to use 3 wakestones just to get that far with some traitor's gear on as well.

sit in between their legs and spam horizontal attacks. You'll go under his leg chains and cut his feet to ribbons. When he stumbles keep working the bottom of his feet over. Play it right and he won't touch you the whole fight.

You guys have luck climbing it? He does a full body immolation move before I can get anywhere near his chest.

Essential to stagger him first. If you can swing and jump bash your way through one or two of his life bars he should try the vortex move. Make sure you're on him before he starts the animation and you can freely bash until he staggers out of it... continue to work him over hard enough and he'll stagger out of his folded wings recharge move and be on the ground ... ready to get worked over like the bastard child he is.

I bought this game the other day, and I'm interested in knowing what DLC isn't included in it. I was under the impression that it had all of the original game's DLC, but the game keeps letting me know that DLC is available.

phierce

I bought this game the other day, and I'm interested in knowing what DLC isn't included in it. I was under the impression that it had all of the original game's DLC, but the game keeps letting me know that DLC is available.
All the DLC is included. The ones you're seeing are new micro-transaction DLC for Rift Crystals and some character editing shit.

Corsick

sit in between their legs and spam horizontal attacks. You'll go under his leg chains and cut his feet to ribbons. When he stumbles keep working the bottom of his feet over. Play it right and he won't touch you the whole fight.

Essential to stagger him first. If you can swing and jump bash your way through one or two of his life bars he should try the vortex move. Make sure you're on him before he starts the animation and you can freely bash until he staggers out of it... continue to work him over hard enough and he'll stagger out of his folded wings recharge move and be on the ground ... ready to get worked over like the bastard child he is.

I was fighting two at the same time unfortunately. When the other woke up I just turned off my console.

All the DLC is included. The ones you're seeing are new micro-transaction DLC for Rift Crystals and some character editing shit.

Is it expecting me to download the items listed under the original game in the store? There is no DLC under the new version. Just wondering.

dubq

My god, I had to pretty much solo the final boss for BBI with my magic archer.. I had my own pawn and a good GAF pawn (Sway) get vortexed and then I was left with a random non-GAF pawn that I didn't realized was.. Yep.. A Guardian. Ugh. I am amazed I was able to do it, though. That boss is a real SOB. Bring on round two! ;-)

dubq

Is it expecting me to download the items listed under the original game in the store? There is no DLC under the new version. Just wondering.
No don't get the stuff from the store - that will only use the original game disc. That content is already included with the DA disc anyway. The Dark Arisen specific DLC is sold by Olra in her menus. Online Store I believe it's called.

No don't get the stuff from the store - that will only use the original game disc. That content is already included with the DA disc anyway. The Dark Arisen specific DLC is sold by Olra in her menus. Online Store I believe it's called.

I see. Thanks!

Slygmous

This game finally arrived in the mail! Anybody else having trouble finding a copy in Australia should check JB's online store.

The quick character I made (on the original copy I rented last week) transferred perfectly and can now dress as a nun. All is right with the world.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I was fighting two at the same time unfortunately. When the other woke up I just turned off my console.

LoL ...until you level to the top that is the correct response there sir. Have a cup and start new the next day ;D

Your pawn looks like she could beat me up! Using her now, lol.

Hah! yay! graci ... Her slightly sad face belies a very central need to murder things. I hope she does you well!!!

phierce

My god, I had to pretty much solo the final boss for BBI with my magic archer.. I had my own pawn and a good GAF pawn (Sway) get vortexed and then I was left with a random non-GAF pawn that I didn't realized was.. Yep.. A Guardian. Ugh. I am amazed I was able to do it, though. That boss is a real SOB. Bring on round two! ;-)
haha...congrats! Thanks for using her...it's appreciated!

phierce

No problem! She is a great support pawn to have.. Instantly heals me and always has the right affinity ready for the situation! Good stuff! :)

Nice! She has all the affinities at her disposal. If you ever need a certain one, and I'm in-game, let me know and I'll gladly equip what you need.

Eusis

Started NG+ and swapped my Arisen/Pawn designs, and after starting bumped the musculature of my Arisen up after pulling out enough to be bumped to Average weight capacity... Kinda surprised at the difference in how much more you can carry. Definitely worth keeping in mind.

Skerj

Man, my first foray into BBI at mid-30s. ..Death spawns in the courtyard of Garden of Ignominy and scared the living hell out of me. Fortunately he couldn't come in the hallway we were cowering in so after about a minute of trying to get us he disappeared. I bloody love it, does he always appear there on your first visit?

I've been so paranoid by that and being one shotted by a Garm that showed up that I haven't gone past Warrior's Respite until I gear up. Since then I've been farming the first Condemned Gorecyclops for proper gear (still need that Trophy Jacket) and I've only come across the Elder Ogre and Garm as necrophages.

By the way, I'm low on RC although apparently I'm a goldmine for other people due to my endless farming capabilities and pawn attachment rate so if any of you on PSN want to swap pawns, shoot me an invite (PSN: Skerj).

I have a Utilitarian/Medicant Mage pawn mostly configured for BBI runs, she'll look out for you even though she still sucks at Snow Harpies. Don't know why she likes to cast Ice Affinity when they're near. ..

maomaoIYP

Starting a brand new game from scratch on hard, trying to only use the main pawn. I forsee lots of reloading.

edit: type 7 english voice male is fucking awesome, also I just switched to japanese to switch up the atmosphere, Rook sounds damn badass for such a dopey face.

Fighting death is so anticlimactic and tedious, idk why he is in the game other than to look cool in the trailers
At least I gained 4 levels from killing him, craft mats loot:(

Btw alpha if you 're going BBI level your warrior vocation to 9 for the 20 percent str boost (if you haven't already), bloodlust is also pretty much mandatory till you find a lvl 2 bbi weap. I didn't have it the warrior one and I got NOWHERE with a maxed dragon's vein, just didn't have enough damage to break the treshold until I gained a whole bunch of levels

Also random tip for others:
If you make it to the shortcut, backtrack from the shortcut to the big 3 floor stair case, at the bottom is a chest that seems to have some bone armor in it (found it twice in a row now ) that sells for 360k.
Making loads of gold just running the part before the second shortcut.

Thanks for the Dragonforged Dragon's Vein, didn't expect that. I have Clout + Autonomy, which equals a smackdown. Whooped on several Elder Ogres, Eliminators, two Gorecyclops and a Cursed Dragon since you gave me those.

All my stuff is at least red level Dragonforged now too, my shirt under the Trophy Jacket is gold forged, my boots are silver forged.

Top Bottom