• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Anteater

I cheat and make it brighter in the settings menu.

1315550015703489f0pxl.gif

Anteater

reminds me of the videogamer.com previews where the dudes were like "dude this game is dark, let's just increase the brightness to 100%", videos were hilarious though

SJRB

Gold Member
Yes. Probably Dragon's Dogma best feature is that night time is really dark. You have to use a lantern and even with that, you can barely see anything that isn't close to you.

Thanks! This may or may not be good, haha!

Can't wait till Friday. Thank god it's somewhat of a holiday weekend over here, Monday and Tuesday off work as well.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Nice. From the Eurogamer review, it sounds like we can pick up the new content from whenever, by hopping on a boat waiting at the starting village's pier. Cassardis, that is.

I finished two complete runs, secured the Platinum trophy, and left it at that.

Wasn't looking forward to starting a third run and playing for a few hours until arriving at Gran Soren. I figure that at worst, we just need to get to the Encampment in order to put the tutorials behind us. At worst
Great news.

abundant

Nice. From the Eurogamer review, it sounds like we can pick up the new content from whenever, by hopping on a boat waiting at the starting village's pier. Cassardis, that is.

I finished two complete runs, secured the Platinum trophy, and left it at that.

Wasn't looking forward to starting a third run and playing for a few hours until arriving at Gran Soren. I figure that worst, we just need to get to the Encampment in order to put the tutorials behind us. At worst
Great news.

That's been known since February.

dubq

Why? The darkness is one of Dragon's Dogma most unique/best features.

I have to admit, while I love the pitch black at night and in caves.. the gamma in this game is way off even during broad daylight. It shouldn't be that dark in a shady tree area. That's one thing I hope they tweaked. ;)

Mejilan

Not known to moi (and I saw another asking about this earlier in this thread). But I tend to not bother following games I know I'm buying day 1.

reminds me of the videogamer.com previews where the dudes were like "dude this game is dark, let's just increase the brightness to 100%", videos were hilarious though

Yep that was pretty funny. There were some really good early preview and review vids for this game.

Also, your avatar is awesome.

Eusis

When was the last time you have seen an LCD/LED tv in action? 7 years ago?
Hell, it looked pretty fine on my 8 year old LCD. Plus I think that's kind of the point when it's night, it's tough to see for shit so you gotta find a place to rest then go again in the morning.

When was the last time you have seen an LCD/LED tv in action? 7 years ago?

It's a problem inherent to how lcd tech works, nothing can fix it unless you have a seperate led to backlight each and every individual pixel.
Or are you one of those people who believe that 1:1000000 dynamic contrast crap? ;D Because the dimming is exactly what causes crushed blacks.

My only complaint about the nighttime in this game is that oil is far too plentiful and lasts for too damn long. I've never, ever ran out of oil when I needed it. I bet 99% of players haven't, either.

Well, pre-ordered this off Amazon, so thanks to one-day shipping, I'll have this tomorrow!

I don't even remember what level I'm at, I'll just have to try the new area and see how quickly I get my butt handed to me, lol.

Also, there's a portcrystal at Cassardis now? Awesome, now I can move the one I placed there in my NG+ somewhere else. But where...

It's a problem inherent to how lcd tech works, nothing can fix it unless you have a seperate led to backlight each and every individual pixel.
Or are you one of those people who believe that 1:1000000 dynamic contrast crap? ;D Because the dimming is exactly what causes crushed blacks.

You just keep validating your plasma purchase and I will enjoy my LED tv.. And no. I do not believe in the dynamic contrast and all the other gimmicky stuff like 600hz and what not. I turn everything off. I am not that kind of consumer who falls into everything. I know my tech on an average basis.

Mejilan

Yep. Oil is the most plentiful commodity in this game.
Funny, that.

Never had any issues with the darkness. Felt it was handled quite well, in-game. Until the post-game. I'll admit that the second time through the post-game tested my patience.

Had to ask. I know the first one the 360 was the recommended of the two. Is it more of the same with this version? Also does the extra texture install make a huge difference?

Thanks.

You just keep validating your plasma purchase and I will enjoy my LED tv.. And no. I do not believe in the dynamic contrast and all the other gimmicky stuff like 600hz and what not. I turn everything off. I am not that kind of consumer who falls into everything. I know my tech on an average basis.

I don't have a plasma, I have an lcd tv from 2009, lcd tech is objectively crap.
It has nothing to do with rationalising a purchase, maybe you are projecting because you're the one who has to tell himself his tv can do dark scenes without crushing blacks or having everything be grey.

xCobalt

Any word on the level of equipment Dark Arisen will have? I'm hoping it'll replace the gear I have from the everfall but I have my doubts.

Had to ask. I know the first one the 360 was the recommended of the two. Is it more of the same with this version? Also does the extra texture install make a huge difference?

Thanks.

There are no extra textures. What Capcom
did was lower the textures so they could fit both the original game and expansion on 1 disc, and put the "removed" textures up for ab install on disc 2. That way you do not have to swap discs.

sublimit

Banned
I have to admit, while I love the pitch black at night and in caves.. the gamma in this game is way off even during broad daylight. It shouldn't be that dark in a shady tree area. That's one thing I hope they tweaked. ;)

I agree.
Same goes for the night...especially if in the next game they include a full moon as a weather condition i hope they don't make the night to be always pitch black again.Even with just a half moon and stars it shouldn't be pitch black in open areas and roads.

Is
talking to the king
still a point of no return on a number of side quests you get prior to doing that? I think I was getting ready to talk to him when I left off in DD because I was off doing a bunch of the side quest stuff.

I don't have a plasma, I have an lcd tv from 2009, lcd tech is objectively crap.
It has nothing to do with rationalising a purchase, maybe you are projecting because you're the one who has to tell himself his tv can do dark scenes without crushing blacks or having everything be grey.

I honestly do not care. I have purchased my TV about two years ago and it feels like my best purchase so far. I can see crushed blacks when I see them, but they are not present on mine despite what I do.

Are the blacks 100% accurate? No. I believe it is somewhere in the range of 70-80% - Again. Does it bother me? Not in the slightest because I do not nitpick over something so tiny and stupid.

Can we drop this now?

Yep. Oil is the most plentiful commodity in this game.
Funny, that.

Never had any issues with the darkness. Felt it was handled quite well, in-game. Until the post-game. I'll admit that the second time through the post-game tested my patience.

I'm not quite sure how it should have been balanced. It would have been nice to feel like you were in danger of running out of oil, but on the other hand it'd be annoying to have to refill it ever minute or so.

The only solution I can think of is to make darkness outside of dungeons significantly less dark, while increasing the darkness inside dungeons and making oil a scarce resource that can only be found in dungeons (that, or it has an inventory cap of about 3 or 5). Make it last about 5 minutes.

ironcreed

Banned
OXM UK - 8/10

Apparently, Bitterblack Isle features the same kind of intertwining level design as the Souls series, which is certainly not a bad approach. But I appreciate that they do start the review off by stating how the game itself is very much it's own thing. A few quotes:

"Far from the continent of Gransys' rolling wilderness, new area Bitterblack Isle is an altogether different environment, rich with interlocking, corpse-strewn warrens, battle-scarred courtyards and all the trappings of a fantasy fortress gone terribly to seed. From a gameplay perspective, it takes the intricately crafted level design of the Souls series and infuses it with a threat offered only sporadically in the main game - darkness. Dragon's Dogma made the night a scary time. Monsters were tougher, visibility was drastically lower - you were going to die, so you rested and waited for dawn. On Bitterblack, it's always night."

"Appropriately, that threat's matched in execution. Dark Arisen's most notable for its difficulty - we were told not to attempt it unless we were Level 50, but our Level 75 Sorcerer met his match many times over. Bosses are thrown at you with abandon, appearing out of nowhere and forcing you to create new tactics on the fly. They're a newly varied bunch too, with everything from a troll with a bright pink baboon-arse weak point to Death itself, a mix of the original's incrementally-defeated Ur-Dragon and the constant threat of Pyramid Head rendered in 20ft-tall, scythe wielding form."

"What we're saying is it's really bloody hard, and the almost objective-less nature of your quest on the Isle, pieced together by finding literal fragments of story during your travails, makes it an even longer experience than it might have been."

http://www.oxm.co.uk/52667/reviews/dragons-dogma-dark-arisen-xbox-360-review/

"What we're saying is it's really bloody hard, and the almost objective-less nature of your quest on the Isle, pieced together by finding literal fragments of story during your travails, makes it an even longer experience than it might have been."

This is exactly what I wanted to hear.

My only complaint about the nighttime in this game is that oil is far too plentiful and lasts for too damn long. I've never, ever ran out of oil when I needed it. I bet 99% of players haven't, either.

but...the water! "Soaked to the bone!" ;)

I agree, there's a lot. Hard mode should get rid of most the stock.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Nice to know I'll be able to tackle the dlc before completing the main game, but I have a feeling I'll come out of the dlc so powerful that the main story will get decimated.

abundant

Nice to know I'll be able to tackle the dlc before completing the main game, but I have a feeling I'll come out of the dlc so powerful that the main story will get decimated.

You can, but I'd recommend against it because Bitterblack Isle is made for people level 50 and above, and you won't hit that until after you beat the game.

Karak

Totally agreed.

Cheddahz

Banned
Ok, so I'm seriously debating if I should trade in MGR to Amazon since they have that promotion going on and pick this up (I've already beaten Dragon's Dogma once, but it was a great experience), what are the performance changes Capcom is adding to the mix?

I turned the brightness after I spent a whole in-game night standing outside the East Soulflayer Canyon entrance. I had no healing items, and my whole party was beat up. I had already been lost, and was tired of bandits with night vision sniping me. There's no way to set a 'camp' to make time pass, so I had to wait for sunrise.

So I gave myself 'night vision' by turning up the brightness.

RS4-

Imported a save file from DD. Was only an hour in. So I got the bonuses etc.

But if I start a new game I take it that I do not get the import bonus stuff if I do that?

Sera O

Banned
I am really excited for this. I picked the original release up when it first came out, but didn't even start playing it until last month. I finished a set of quests from the chamberlain and decided to wait until this comes out to continue.

I don't know if I've ever played an RPG where I had so much fun just fighting stuff - and I love how dark it is at night and in dungeons. The first time I was wandering around in the woods and got attacked by a chimera, I was blown away.

I've preordered the digital version off PSN - really recommend this for anyone who is interested in something that's really rewarding in its battle aspects. I've mostly been playing archer type classes, but I really want to try the warrior and sorcerer too.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I feel bad, I canceled my order after being excited for week. I got Amalur for $20 and it scratches the same itch. So I might as well wait on DA since it can only drop in price. I'll be back later, enjoy guys.

I feel bad, I canceled my order after being excited for week. I got Amalur for $20 and it scratches the same itch. So I might as well wait on DA since it can only drop in price. I'll be back later, enjoy guys.

Amalur is okay, but DD blows it out of the water. enjoy your time with Amalur, though. You'll see that it falls victim to one of DD's biggest flaws - becoming too easy less than halfway through the game. Excellent combat, though.

OXM UK - 8/10

"Appropriately, that threat's matched in execution. Dark Arisen's most notable for its difficulty - we were told not to attempt it unless we were Level 50, but our Level 75 Sorcerer met his match many times over. Bosses are thrown at you with abandon, appearing out of nowhere and forcing you to create new tactics on the fly. They're a newly varied bunch too, with everything from a troll with a bright pink baboon-arse weak point to Death itself, a mix of the original's incrementally-defeated Ur-Dragon and the constant threat of Pyramid Head rendered in 20ft-tall, scythe wielding form."

This sounds awesome, but fuck! If the content is in the 50-75 level range then it's probably going to be too easy for my main and pawn who are both close to 100 by now, but it will also be a long time before I can get a brand new character leveled up enough to see the new stuff! Hmm...

ironcreed

Banned
This sounds awesome, but fuck! If the content is in the 50-75 level range then it's probably going to be too easy for my main and pawn who are both close to 100 by now, but it will also be a long time before I can get a brand new character leveled up enough to see the new stuff! Hmm...

Level 148 in this video. Entire party getting killed in one swipe by Death, who keeps stalking you and showing up at certain points until you ultimately defeat him. It's a cumulative damage battle. Plenty of other strong bosses as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RSwGnb2mB8

Top Bottom