• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Karak

Hey guys does the HD pack make a huge difference in the look of the game? I saw a couple videos side by side but its really hard to tell.
Also does it impact the FPS at all? 360 version.

Hey guys does the HD pack make a huge difference in the look of the game? I saw a couple videos side by side but its really hard to tell.

Nope, I haven't noticed any difference. I was hoping it would update some of the blurry equipment textures, but it just improves a few wall textures in Gran Soren and Cassardis.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
It's probably been asked 100 times in here but how does save importing work? Are there any bonuses for carrying over completed data from vanilla? Can I revisit my old character and just play the new content?

It's probably been asked 100 times in here but how does save importing work? Are there any bonuses for carrying over completed data from vanilla? Can I revisit my old character and just play the new content?

Your data imports automatically when you start DA, and yes you can just continue with your old character. You'll have the eternal ferrystone and a few extra outfits as bonus.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet, is the new stuff all in some new area or is it scattered throughout the game? Considering if I should just do a full replay if it is.

Dresden

It's just textures that they couldn't fit onto the first disc, due to the additional DA content. With it installed, there's no difference from the original Dogma graphics.

dosh

Swapping all my gear and augs takes so long:(
They should have just let pawn gear be dragonforged too (not hired pawns), save a lot of inconvenience

Or at least allow players to save armors/weapons/augs presets for each vocation, so that going from assassin to sorcerer doesn't require to deposit, withdraw and equip everything.

On another topic, I'm amazed at how easy the Everfall gets once you've farmed for better gear. The first time I tried the Chamber of Fate, I had a hard time. Now I enter, kill the gorechimera/chimera/lich group, exit, re-enter, kill the drake, and it doesn't take more than 5 minutes.
Fey Whisper and Dragon's Risen are insane.

i'm guilty of only hiring female pawns.
To be fair i add all shapes and sizes. I used Sigurd for a long time and she is basically a ginger amazon. I also had a warrior who was a gigantic black woman in full plate armour which was pretty bad ass. But yeah, my pawn is a beautiful waif and usually i have a mage and a sorc in my party and they tend to be average to tiny lolis

maybe i'll hire a burly warrior...

maomaoIYP

i'm guilty of only hiring female pawns.
To be fair i add all shapes and sizes. I used Sigurd for a long time and she is basically a ginger amazon. I also had a warrior who was a gigantic black woman in full plate armour which was pretty bad ass. But yeah, my pawn is a beautiful waif and usually i have a mage and a sorc in my party and they tend to be average to tiny lolis

maybe i'll hire a burly warrior...

Heehee, you and me both. I've hired....162 pawns in total. 3 of which were male.
However honestly speaking though, I find it way easier to make a considerably attractive male.
Put in the muscles, square jaw, angry looking eyes, and BAM he'll look good to go.
For the females I can spend eternity just comparing the different heads alone...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So, second go around on BBI, get to the Duskmoon Garden bit to open me up some Moonbeam Gem doors.

Oh its a FireDrake. Finally, I need to beat your head in to get some goodies. Lets go you asshole! A few rounds and a particularly unfair tail-whip followed by a grab and smash, and I use a wakestone. Upon which... a Cursed Dragon is summoned.

OKAY. NOW ITS A REAL PARTY SON.

Managed to do in both, just, while scavenging for healing grass across the floor at the very end. This is when DD is at its best. Wrestling giant drakes and beasts. None of this whirlwind super arrow cheap shit. Just me and firing off a thousand Great Cannons at gaping dragon assholes.

Is it normal that I get way way way less DCP?
My pawn earned 7000 in the time I earned 1000, no wonder it's taking me forever to level my vocation:\ Pawn went from rank 1 to 8 sorc in the time I went from 8-9 warrior

I hire both male and female pawns. I only care about the equipment, stats and augments/skills that the pawn is using.

My main pawn is female because it's based on one of my favourite characters of The Witcher 2 - Saskia.

I somehow missed playing Dragons Dogma when it came out.

I started this up earlier this week.

THIS GAME IS INCREDIBLE.

should I focus on the main quest and leave BBI for postgame/NG+? I'm guessing yes.

aravuus

I hire both male and female pawns. I only care about the equipment, stats and augments/skills that the pawn is using.

My main pawn is female because it's based on one of my favourite characters of The Witcher 2 - Saskia.

I hire mainly female for one simple reason.

I can't fucking find any male pawns. Or you know, of course I find them but the women outnumber the men 100:1. So yeah, I also choose my pawns because of their skills, augs and inclinations.

dubq

Can wyverns dragon forge? I just had a bad ass battle in the courtyard area with one and got nada DF'd out of it. :(

Eusis

I hire mainly female for one simple reason.

I can't fucking find any male pawns. Or you know, of course I find them but the women outnumber the men 100:1. So yeah, I also choose my pawns because of their skills, augs and inclinations.
I'd be curious to see how that number matches up to male Arisen. My own logic was to just go with a male main character and female pawn, even if that's been flipped for NG+, and I imagine most people had the idea of doing at least the first part.
Can wyverns dragon forge? I just had a bad ass battle in the courtyard area with one and got nada DF'd out of it. :(
All Dragonkind can, though cursed dragons seem to have the highest rate of those that can be easily refought, being able to do it even to 0 star equipment.

I only hire female pawns because GAF only has female pawns. The only male pawns among you are either way under or over-leveled for where I'm at.

Karak

It's just textures that they couldn't fit onto the first disc, due to the additional DA content. With it installed, there's no difference from the original Dogma graphics.

...Ok now I am super confused. It is labeled as an HD texture upgrade and websites have comparison videos. But its NOT different textures?

KorrZ

Hiring Pawns is becoming an effort in frustration for me. Around my level (mid 40's) it seems that every single Sorcerer with the skills I want (Elemental Affinitys + High anodyne) is a Guardian inclination.

I cannot find a Sorcerer that will properly enchant me instead of starting to cast and then running away constantly.

This is why I play Mystic Knight more than my other 2 favourite classes -.-

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
...Ok now I am super confused. It is labeled as an HD texture upgrade and websites have comparison videos. But its NOT different textures?

My guess, old content + new content > 7GB, so they put lower res versions on the play disc so that HD-less people can play the game, but to get the original fidelity you need to install the texture pack.

The PS3 version doesn't need this work around, so there is no need for low res stand-ins.

aravuus

Hiring Pawns is becoming an effort in frustration for me. Around my level (mid 40's) it seems that every single Sorcerer with the skills I want (Elemental Affinitys + High anodyne) is a Guardian inclination.

I cannot find a Sorcerer that will properly enchant me instead of starting to cast and then running away constantly.

This is why I play Mystic Knight more than my other 2 favourite classes -.-

Do tell if you find someone good, I'm lvl47 and every goddamn pawn has guardian as either primary or secondary.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
i have a female pawn because my main is male. i'm pretty sure that's the standard setup for most people.

Absolutely, it's more to get a variety of voices and character models. And I sure as fuck wouldn't roll my main as a female lololorofl.

Sera O

Banned
Yeah GAF pawns are pretty much all female. I see a decent number of guy pawns everywhere in the game proper though. Since I like to have an even party I tend to hire male pawns off the street if they are DA players and have decent inclinations.

My pawn was male in my first playthrough and then I swapped my pawn and playable character designs for my NG+ quest completion run. I'll look through the doc again later tonight and hire some dudes.

Does anyone know if there is any progress prerequisite for the
helping Madeleine start her shop
trophy? I gave what she asked for in Cassardis, and found her again in the Venery after tailing that guy. Went in immediately after that, and again the next day, but nothing seems to be happening when I talk to her.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm also just starting Max's WH quests.

I've a male pawn, hire me:D (115 sorc atm with proper inclinations and no 15sec casttime spells, but he is usually fighter)

Question for those who finished BBI
I'm in the forgotten city, I guess i'm right at the end boss now? Does anything change if I kill it (quests that fail or dissapear or stuff that gets hard to farm?) or can I kill it safely?

Also there is a tower in the forgotten city that is taunting me... a high up room with a light burning inside on the left when you enter, and I can't figure out how to get to it...

Game design 101 is if you have a light on in an area it's to draw the player's attention there, why can't I get up there!

Can anyone who finished BBI give me advice real quick (BBI ending spoilers)

I killed the demon guy (who I assume is the end boss)
When I go up the stairs it says 'you will not be able to return here for a while
What does that mean? I'm afraid to continue because I assume it'll autosave

He also didn't drop any weapons or armor ,just a lvl 3 armor item ,is that normal?

I read that the shortcuts close when you kill the boss, but do they reopen when you make it tothem a second time or not? There is nooo way i'm going to run through the place over and over allll the way from start to end until I can beat the second form

lastly , is the credits song the original main menu song?

Also this game deserves so much credit just for the animations alone, the drake and boss animations are incredible compared to the garbage animations in pretty much every rpg out there

branny

My pawn's male, too... The sexiest warrior alive. :D

Can anyone who finished BBI give me advice real quick (BBI ending spoilers)

I killed the demon guy (who I assume is the end boss)
When I go up the stairs it says 'you will not be able to return here for a while
What does that mean? I'm afraid to continue because I assume it'll autosave

He also didn't drop any weapons or armor ,just a lvl 3 armor item ,is that normal?
It just means you can't go back through the door on the other side for quick access to the last area. BBI is harder after you kill the boss as enemy spawns change like in postgame.

MechaX

I just started BBI and... uh... What level am I supposed to be for this exactly? (I'm level 81 right now)

I get to the room with the giant chained cyclops fine enough. While I'm trying to take care of the undead mages, suddenly a zombie dragon comes out of fucking nowhere and wipes out two of my pawns. And in that attack, suddenly the cyclops frees itself and wipes me out in one blow.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Also this game deserves so much credit just for the animations alone, the drake and boss animations are incredible compared to the garbage animations in pretty much every rpg out there

People give the game's graphics a beating (despite the awesome lighting engine) and I guess the pop-in, but really the root of it all is the animation engine pushing console's shitty ram and CPU's to their fucking limit. All those movesets and enemy reactions+physics for climbing all in an open world environment.

A next-gen sequel will blow fucking minds.

Sera O

Banned
I've a male pawn, hire me:D (115 sorc atm with proper inclinations and no 15sec casttime spells, but he is usually fighter)

Sounds good, I'll definitely hire you. I may have to friend you first since you're probably higher level than me right now (I've only barely gotten into BBI where more RC drops - saving it for last).

My pawn's male, too... The sexiest warrior alive. :D

We shall roll over ur-dragon as sexy bro-squad (+ girl ranger).

branny

People give the game's graphics a beating (despite the awesome lighting engine) and I guess the pop-in, but really the root of it all is the animation engine pushing console's shitty ram and CPU's to their fucking limit. All those movesets and enemy reactions+physics for climbing all in an open world environment.

A next-gen sequel will blow fucking minds.
Seriously--even just the hair/cloth/vegetation physics blow me away considering the scale of this game.

We shall roll over ur-dragon as sexy bro-squad (+ girl ranger).
Haha, okay. Added you. :p

Seriously--even just the hair/cloth/vegetation physics blow me away considering the scale of this game.

The fire is extremely well done too at the main story boss.
Most of the particle effects from some spells etc are really good too (though they bring the framerate to it's knees)

This game oozes so much talent it's not even funny.
It's in its own league compared to all the factory produced formulaic AAA crap that normally occupies console gaming.

phierce

Does anyone know if there is any progress prerequisite for the
helping Madeleine start her shop
trophy? I gave what she asked for in Cassardis, and found her again in the Venery after tailing that guy. Went in immediately after that, and again the next day, but nothing seems to be happening when I talk to her.
It takes several days for her to have her store up and running (may even require leaving and doing another quest). You'll know it's happened when the map icon changes from "abandoned house" to "Madie'e Store". Once that happens, go talk to her and the trophy will pop.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
At least we know Dogma sold over a million. That's a good chunk of people playing a great game.

moozoom

Hi there, just got the game today and I remember hearing about a save-erasing bug when the game launched... is it already patched ? I see everybody's playing the game and no one complaining so I'm hopeful it is (patched).

I'm not in the mood to lose my original character( I just started my NG+ in the previous game ). After playing Walking Dead, I'm cautious around games saves.

(Thanks for the advice !)

aravuus

Alright, onwards to the final battle! Pretty eager to start post-game already, I'm kiiind of overpowered and practically nothing stands in my way right now.

Hi there, just got the game today and I remember hearing about a save-erasing bug when the game launched... is it already patched ? I see everybody's playing the game and no one complaining so I'm hopeful it is (patched).

I'm not in the mood to lose my original character( I just started my NG+ in the previous game ). After playing Walking Dead, I'm cautious around games saves.

(Thanks for the advice !)

I think one of the updates on xbox had a chance to corrupt the save during the update process, it doesn't happen on ps3 , no idea if it was fixed on xbox.
You can always back up your save too.

dubq

I am actually noticing that I hire mainly female pawns too. Mostly due to the lack of male pawns. Since my main is an assassin/archer type, and Brienne is a warrior, I usually hire a mage (Sway!) and a sorcerer.. and those tend to be female most of the time. Though I did recently find a male sorcerer named Abby and have hired him on for the time being.

FWIW, when I created my characters in vanilla, I went with my inner ASIOAF nerd and did a Jaqen H'ghar lookalike for my main pawn. I figured he'd need a big burly bodyguard for his adventures. I was going to do one of the Clegane's but decided that Brienne of Tarth might be a more unique character that more people would be drawn to hiring. So far I've been right! I hope that those hirings increase now that I've changed her to a Scather/Utilitarian. ;)

--

Speaking of Brienne.. I recently came across a bad-ass helm for her that basically looks like a minotaur's head. Green metal with giant onyx horns.. bad ass indeed! I will have to post some photos, eventually.

Karak

My guess, old content + new content > 7GB, so they put lower res versions on the play disc so that HD-less people can play the game, but to get the original fidelity you need to install the texture pack.

The PS3 version doesn't need this work around, so there is no need for low res stand-ins.

Thanks man. That explains it!

Sera O

Banned
Haha, okay. Added you. :p
Awesome, I will be on later tonight.

It takes several days for her to have her store up and running (may even require leaving and doing another quest). You'll know it's happened when the map icon changes from "abandoned house" to "Madie'e Store". Once that happens, go talk to her and the trophy will pop.

Thanks! I need to learn to be patient.

So I got to this room with a drake and wyrm at the same time and thought it would be impossible, but I managed to kill the wyrm fairly quickly using my fully upgraded Dragon's Ire (Fivefold Flurry to his heart does A LOT of damage). After that it was just a drake battle.

Then I get to the next room and HOLY FUCK. Eliminators everywhere, at least three dragons, living armors... what the hell, Capcom?

So I just skipped all that stuff and went to the final boss. It seems like Daimon 2.0 will be impossible so long as I am an assassin. My bow doesn't do enough damage. My sword does a lot, but any time I get up to his face I get shot down with lightning bolts and die :(

Have you guys been to shadow fortress since BBI?

Theres 4 gorecyclopses (2 chained ones) in the same room, what a bad time for me to bring two sorcerers and a mage lol, it's just a mess of clubs and big stomping feet.

Lol one of the chained ones just knocked the helmet off an non chained one

dubq

I think I am going to spend some time off-Isle and level up the Ranger vocation. I've maxed out Assassin, Strider & Magick Archer so far. Plus I gotta see this gore-cyclops fiasco at the Shadow Fort! ;)

Lol have you guys been to shadow fortress since BBI?

Theres 4 gorecyclopses (2 chained ones) in the same room, what a bad time for me to bring two sorcerers and a mage lol, it's just a mess of clubs and big stomping feet.

Lol one of the chained ones just knocked the helmet off an non chained one

That is the place with the huge ass arena building right.

Top Bottom