• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

I used Black Cat to forge 31 different things yesterday, including 9 moonshimmer pelts. It was the most tedious thing I have ever done.

EDIT: Can anyone answer my questions from the previous page?

So I just beat Daimon 2.0 as a sword assassin. I had fully upgraded Dragon's Dogma sword and fully upgraded Dragon's Ire (which was basically useless) for the fight.

Here's how I did it:

Through a large number of attempts I found that climbing on him was just impossible. Every time I tried climbing up to his chest-face I would get struck by lightning almost instantaneously which would often kill me or very nearly kill me at least.

By a fluke, I ended up getting even higher on Daimon in my latest attempt, up to his top head (not the chest-face). I'm not sure if you do less damage here or not, but it's definitely A LOT safer. Most of Daimon's attacks couldn't hurt me from up there. I get struck by the odd lightning bolt, but not all 3 or 4 as it had been before, and I had enough curatives that that didn't matter so much.

I stayed up on Daimon's head for the ENTIRE fight. I used pyrepyre mushrooms and harspud sauce when necessary to restore stamina, and just used Dire Gouge over and over.

When Daimon's body becomes engulfed in flame it can be very dangerous, but I managed to leap in to the air at the exact moment that he burst, and grabbed his head again on my way down.

I was amazed the fight went so well. I got pretty lucky in some aspects I think, but I think it's a sound strategy if you can't do enough damage at a range.

Now, I have a some questions about the loot.

I got two level 3 weapons from the battle. I got Devilsbane and Revenant Wail. Now, Devilsbane looks great, and I would love to have a sword to replace my Dragon's Dogma, but I don't really want Revenant Wail - unless it were to come with level 3 daggers, in which case I probably wouldn't mind switching to Ranger, but the strongest daggers I have right now are Dragon's Pain (I have 3 of them... ugh) and they're not very strong. My vocation was assassin and my pawn's was fighter when I purified those weapons.

Now, my question is, if I reload and change vocation and purify again, is there any way I can get Devilsbane and maybe a stronger shield, or a stronger normal bow (not longbow)?

How many different combinations are there to try for with changing vocations and purifying?

If I'm an Assassin right now and my pawn is a Fighter, would merely changing my vocation to Fighter give different results?

Is there a different resulting purification for every permutation of arisen and pawn vocations?

RangerBAD

I used Black Cat to forge 31 different things yesterday, including 9 moonshimmer pelts. It was the most tedious thing I have ever done.

It's not so bad if you switch to offline and there's an item you can purify from BBI that makes the forging process take a shorter time.

EDIT: Can anyone answer my questions from the previous page?

Is this your first rpg?:D

OT : BBI 2.0 is a lot of fun so far, I've cleared everything up to the first shortcut again and you get the fight the eye boss again which is cool.

Saw a new enemy (with actual new model, not a reskin) after the first shortcut too, didn't expect that.

Eusis

It's not so bad if you switch to offline and there's an item you can purify from BBI that makes the forging process take a shorter time.
The item seems more useful to be able to visit the city, start a forgery, then sleep a day rather than having to sleep two days to get into the cycle, though that's still handy especially when you don't know what time of day you went by. And yeah, going offline is essential, thankfully it's just a menu option rather than needing to go through system settings like with Dark Souls.

PowderedToast

i'm 30 hours in and the game has definitely gotten boring. i'm steamrolling through everything and so the act of travelling isn't a fun challenge anymore. gonna bump it up to hard

Dave1988

As Ryan said before, the papers are useless. They either don't work at all or cut the time of the forgery in half which still means jack shit as you still have to run back to the inn to fast forward time. It saves you absolutely no time.

I'm not kidding when I say I'd pay for DLC that either makes the forging process instantaneous or allows you to forge multiple items at once. The system that is currently in place is tedious as hell.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
i'm 30 hours in and the game has definitely gotten boring. i'm steamrolling through everything and so the act of travelling isn't a fun challenge anymore. gonna bump it up to hard

Exactly why I rerolled hard. I could smell what was comin on my first file, especially being an Amalur veteran.

As Ryan said before, the papers are useless. They either don't work at all or cut the time of the forgery in half which still means jack shit as you still have to run back to the inn to fast forward time. It saves you absolutely no time.

I'm not kidding when I say I'd pay for DLC that either makes the forging process instantaneous or allows you to forge multiple items at once. The system as is currently in place is tedious as hell.

Psh be glad the game lets you be a puss and not have to farm that shit the old fashioned way.

Eusis

I'm not kidding when I say I'd pay for DLC that either makes the forging process instantaneous or allows you to forge multiple items at once. The system that is currently in place is tedious as hell.
It saves you an extra inn stay, but that's marginal compared to the more appealing alternative of instant forgeries. Which is the only way to make it more appealing than going to the inn.

Sera O

Banned

Yes, I would pay to break the selection box into categories like they use for every single other inventory screen. Forged a gold idol last night and it took me way too freaking long to even locate the stupid thing in the list of "every single thing you've picked up, ever" that comes up. Then to add insult to injury it turned out I was a few grand short of the fee, black cat doesn't buy stuff from you, so I ran off and sold some crap and had to do it all again. I can't even imagine having to forge a bunch of materials. I mean, you can't even arrow up to loop back to the end of your list. It's almost comically bad.

Add to that the fact that you now have to sort through your entire item storage to find something. Makes it tedious when so many items have the same visual icon.

Revolution you are in for such a clobbering in BBI on hard, it's challenging enough on normal until you gear up (which you only do shortly before you finish it)

Eusis

BBI's enough reason to keep me from wanting to go in on hard, that place is what'd happen if you described Dark Souls and Demon's Souls to the DD team then told them to make it based off that and in their game. And kind of missing the point.

Lucentto

Banned
I have been playing BBI on hard for a while now and it's not that bad. I don't die that often now that I have the new armor pieces, though certain attacks can still kill me in one hit.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
BBI's enough reason to keep me from wanting to go in on hard, that place is what'd happen if you described Dark Souls and Demon's Souls to the DD team then told them to make it based off that and in their game. And kind of missing the point.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. The Chest Snakeys are the biggest example of that. In D.Souls you learn to tap every chest to "make sure", but in this you either got to take the hit or wait for your pawns to take the hit. Cheap game design, not clever.

So, I've only just started, went with a Fighter for now, still deciding between Assassin and Mystic Knight.

Pawns can't become one of the hybrid classes, right?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Revolution you are in for such a clobbering in BBI on hard, it's challenging enough on normal until you gear up (which you only do shortly before you finish it)

I'ma eat that shit for breakfast yo. My MK is gonna be straight ballin.

So, I've only just started, went with a Fighter for now, still deciding between Assassin and Mystic Knight.

Pawns can't become one of the hybrid classes, right?

Right. At first I had my pawn as a healer but I realized any regular ass pawn can do buffs/heals regardless of gear. Making them something offensive and gearing them out is much more noticeable and helpful. Or even having them be the fighter and tank. I've had good experiences with fighter pawns.

RangerBAD

Yeah, I'd agree with that. The Chest Snakeys are the biggest example of that. In D.Souls you learn to tap every chest to "make sure", but in this you either got to take the hit or wait for your pawns to take the hit. Cheap game design, not clever.

They're attempting to make you jump in your seat. That's about it.

joe2187

Banned
God

Goddammit

I spent nearly an hour and half fighting the two Gore-cyclops and the three giant evil dogs of doom, killed all the dogs and decided to finally say fuck it all and book it.

Only to meet the sharp end of some fucking evil looking swordsmen who look like GWAR roadies and they one shot me and play volleyball with my corpse.

dosh

Yes, I would pay to break the selection box into categories like they use for every single other inventory screen. Forged a gold idol last night and it took me way too freaking long to even locate the stupid thing in the list of "every single thing you've picked up, ever" that comes up.

Many items having the exact same icon, which makes things even worse. I imagine they wanted to discourage players to forge lots of materials but in the end you do it anyway (farming evil eyes to upgrade my twilight set would have been an even longer process than running from the inn to the black cat).

Just make sure you have the quest for the Frontier Caverns mob. It's off a notice board...I think in Cas.
I looked it up on the wiki, it's all good. Thanks again.

I'm an expert

So, essentially Ranger, Warrior and Sorcerer (I assume the first tier classes are inferior)...

Here I go!

You assume wrong. The first 3 classes are just starters, but they are completely equal to all other vocations. In fact, they're pretty fackin good.

dubq

God

Goddammit

I spent nearly an hour and half fighting the two Gore-cyclops and the three giant evil dogs of doom, killed all the dogs and decided to finally say fuck it all and book it.

Only to meet the sharp end of some fucking evil looking swordsmen who look like GWAR roadies and they one shot me and play volleyball with my corpse.
Yup.. That fucking room with those two douches at the end of it. Same thing happened to me.. Luckily I had a wakestone on me.

They aren't like the dark souls ones (btw the mimic isn't a concept dark souls invented... it's been in final fantasy games for ages and I'm sure it's been in any random dungeons and dragons rulebook for decades.)

You are supposed to fight them and kill them before they are able to retreat, then you get the loot from the chest (and some crafting items)

Woah 3 people hired my pawn tonight (thanks pierce the gaffer)
Lots of RC

Chasing some recommendations.

Playing on Normal as an (almost) maxed vocation Strider Lv 27 - intending to swap to Magic Archer or Assassin soon. I'm finding fights fairly simple give or take some pawn issues. I've yet to fight a Chimera in a fair fight - and have run into a few groups of bandits etc. when travelling relatively faraway from Gran Soren - that have given me an ass kicking (maybe 5-6 levels ago).

I'm quite enjoying Strider - but I'm thinking maybe I should start Hard now (as a fighter, to get through the difficult early stage of the game), rather than waiting.
It's unlikely I'll play the game twice, and I really don't want to end up bored of the game by steamrolling everthing after a certain level - because I'll end up putting it down and never coming back to it.

So what's the run-down with Hard and/or New Game+
Worth it? Too difficult? Not worth restarting? (probably put in 8 hours or so now).

I'm an expert

Playing on Normal as an (almost) maxed vocation Strider Lv 27 - intending to swap to Magic Archer or Assassin soon. I'm finding fights fairly simple give or take some pawn issues. I've yet to fight a Chimera in a fair fight - and have run into a few groups of bandits etc. when travelling relatively faraway from Gran Soren - that have given me an ass kicking (maybe 5-6 levels ago).

I'm quite enjoying Strider - but I'm thinking maybe I should start Hard now (as a fighter, to get through the difficult early stage of the game), rather than waiting.
It's unlikely I'll play the game twice, and I really don't want to end up bored of the game by steamrolling everthing after a certain level - because I'll end up putting it down and never coming back to it.

Worth it? Too difficult? Not worth restarting? (probably put in 8 hours or so now).

I did the same thing with about 12 hours in. It's worth it but doing all the beginning quests again can be tiring. The game is a lot more fun on hard, specifically managing your stamina.

So, essentially Ranger, Warrior and Sorcerer (I assume the first tier classes are inferior)...

Here I go!

Nope. I'm pleased to say that "basic" classes are in no way inferior to "advanced" classes, same way hybrid classes aren't necessarily better than advanced classes. They all have distinct advantages and disadvantages, and a pawn can be quite successful in any class you choose. I'd rather have a mage than a sorcerer pawn, for example. Same as a strider over a ranger. They're all quite different, so pick whatever role you need most.

If you don't plan on replaying, I'd recommend restarting on hard. It's a much more rewarding experience - literally, money drops from enemies increases tenfold.

They aren't like the dark souls ones (btw the mimic isn't a concept dark souls invented... it's been in final fantasy games for ages and I'm sure it's been in any random dungeons and dragons rulebook for decades.)

You are supposed to fight them and kill them before they are able to retreat, then you get the loot from the chest (and some crafting items)

Woah 3 people hired my pawn tonight (thanks pierce the gaffer)
Lots of RC

I hired your pawn as well (he was a Strider) and just released him. You should get a decent amount of RC.

If you don't plan on replaying, I'd recommend restarting on hard. It's a much more rewarding experience - literally, money drops from enemies increases tenfold.

Yeah - I just don't see myself putting in x amount of hours, and then running through again.

Question - How do I change to hard? When I started my first game I thought I only saw Normal and Easy... unless I misread or missed an option?

I'm an expert

In the main menu under load game. You will begin at the beginning. If you actually want a brand new char from level 1, you'll have to delete/move your current save.

Know the game's difficulty ramps up in post game and BBI.

I would keep it on normal and hire lower level pawns, or no pawns at all and just roll with you and your main pawn to increase the challenge on normal. But yeah, the game is so refreshingly challenging up to level 25, but then the developers lost their balls or some shit and the game turns into ultimate fucking pussy mode until post game and BBI for some reason.

Nope. I'm pleased to say that "basic" classes are in no way inferior to "advanced" classes, same way hybrid classes aren't necessarily better than advanced classes. They all have distinct advantages and disadvantages, and a pawn can be quite successful in any class you choose. I'd rather have a mage than a sorcerer pawn, for example. Same as a strider over a ranger. They're all quite different, so pick whatever role you need most.

Wow, I didnt know hard mode comes with more gold. Is there an experience multiplayer?

Corsick

I'm curious (and this obviously depends on your main pawn's vocation and your own), but what vocations do you prefer the most for hired pawns and which do you use the least?

As a warrior I have a fighter main pawn (because I feel like I'm made of tissue paper even as a warrior) with a stider at all times and a mage to heal me. I have the greater recoverable life augment and healing is really valuable to me because of that. I also never get any pawn with guardian as a my only hard and fast rule for inclination choice. Looks almost never matter unless you created Dennis Rodman.

SaitoH

I started Dark Arisen from the beginning and I got the "first ending". Now I'm making my way to the true ending, but I haven't gone to bitter black isle. Should I do that stuff before making the final push, or can you continue playing after the ending?

In the main menu under load game. You will begin at the beginning. If you actually want a brand new char from level 1, you'll have to delete/move your current save.

So if I select Hard mode under load game - will my character go back to 'base'. Or will he remain a level 27 Strider - but just at the beginning of the game?

I'm an expert

So if I select Hard mode under load game - will my character go back to 'base'. Or will he remain a level 27 Strider - but just at the beginning of the game?

It'll keep all your current stats but revert to the beginning. It's fackin weird, I know. Hence why you have to delete or move your save somewhere else for it to to make a new save and new char.

Finally found a good fighter build I like.

My main pawn is back to fighter if anyone needs a good tanking pawn.
Lvl 125 scather + mitigator, 2000str, 1100+ def and silly amounts of HP.

I have the rooster shield on him which is amaaazing combined with perfect block and cymbal onslaught, it pretty much guarantees a permanent 30 percent damage debuff on minibosses and bosses. (every time the pawn perfect blocks, every time he cymbal onslaughts a weak spot and randomly when hitting non weak spots with the shield it puts a 3 minute 30 percent less dmg done debuff on the enemy)
With the maw skill fighter pawns can do huge amounts of damage on downed enemies and weak spots as well.

I put all the climbing augs on him so he can be useful on dragons and gore cyclopses too.

There is so much to tinker and experiment with in this game, I'm 130 hours in, haven't even TRIED mystic knight and still have enough to learn about the other classes to last another playthrough.
Best singleplayer game ever.

I'm curious (and this obviously depends on your main pawn's vocation and your own), but what vocations do you prefer the most for hired pawns and which do you use the least?

As a warrior I have a fighter main pawn (because I feel like I'm made of tissue paper even as a warrior) with a stider at all times and a mage to heal me. I have the greater recoverable life augment and healing is really valuable to me because of that. I also never get any pawn with guardian as a my only hard and fast rule for inclination choice. Looks almost never matter unless you created Dennis Rodman.

I always use mage and sorc as hired pawns, I find a mage with holy and ice or holy and lightning affinity and the augment that prevents knockback while casting. I also like it if they have high levin or frigor but the first bits are more important.
(ice and lightning dmg + holy affinity will kill pretty much everything in the first BBI playthrough, for vanilla you need mainly fire affinity) I'm not sure what the weaknesses of the BBI 2.0 enemies are yet)

For sorcerers I look for one with fast spells and high magic , no ring upgraded spells, no high mealstorm etc, they cast for too long, don't know how to position, mobs will move out of range or out of LOS etc they end up never casting a thing
I also really like high fulmination (the lightning group buff) and preferably he'll have the elemental affinity I'm missing out of holy/lightning/ice
High miasma is appreciated on either sorc or mage, the damage over time ticks add up fast and it's a very fast spell.

If you have a sorc or a sorc pawn then double sorc with the same spells is very fun, you get really fast casstimes for casting next to eachother.
2x high glicel sorcerers absolutely wreck most dragons, all cyclopses, suarians and annihilators

I'm an expert

I'm running MK/Ranger for me and my pawn, and I usually go warrior/mage or fighter/mage for my support pawns.

Top Bottom