• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

aravuus

Oh,
Selene was the damsel in distress.
Well, could have been worse!

e: oh haha, I still had some herb I was meant to bring her in a side quest and hadn't. Yeah what's that, you were scared yadda yadda? Well how about you brew me some ale from this!

Sanctuary

If anyone needs a moderately decked Fighter pawn, mine is sitting at 3100 str now. Pretty good defensive options as well.

Aah you sure you didn't run pass the treasure chests?
I remember there being 2 at a exit. Dragon was easier then expected i thought ooh shit but i just let it grab one of my pawns so i can focus on its heart.
Nope. Wakestone was in the chest. Well anyway I'm doing Ur-Dragon now. Down to 1 bar. Can't see any heart.

Eusis

Lol have you guys been to shadow fortress since BBI?

Theres 4 gorecyclopses (2 chained ones) in the same room, what a bad time for me to bring two sorcerers and a mage lol, it's just a mess of clubs and big stomping feet.

Lol one of the chained ones just knocked the helmet off an non chained one
That MIGHT be a direct result of taking on a related quest, but I'll have to check in NG+ later on.
Oh,
Selene was the damsel in distress.
Well, could have been worse!

e: oh haha, I still had some herb I was meant to bring her in a side quest and hadn't. Yeah what's that, you were scared yadda yadda? Well how about you brew me some ale from this!
Heh,
I had the duchess myself, but with Selene staying at my place after the witch hunt I had BOTH of them under my roof.

You actually use the consumable items? you'll have to give me some tips on how to use those properly, as well as some advice on how to skill swords and how to play it.

Almost forgot to give you sword Assassin pointers, thread moves so quick. I'm really glad so many new folks picked up DD, it deserves every penny (unlike that rubbish DmC).

With all melee classes IMO, you want three things; all purpose/damage, damage mitigation/counters, and a utility skill (one for specific trouble situations).

First off, you want an all purpose damage move. You can go with Burst Strike for the distance closing, or Full Moon Slash for damage (a LOT of it) and AoE. FMS is the Bible and the Constitution for me with any Sword class, so that's my choice.

Next, your mitigation. Since Sword Assassin can't roll for some stupid reason (even though bare hand/unarmed can, and double jump), you have Clairvoyance for counters, or Broad Slash for dodging. I prefer Clairvoyance because the counter has i-frames and big damage on most mobs.

Finally, your utility skill. This can be whatever you find useful (Powder Charge for burning, Great Windmill, whatever) but I go Dire Gouge. Not only does it violate large mobs, as I said earlier a lot of mobs in BBI are in between the "normal" and "large" size, so you can climb them and Dire Gouge, but also full damage with Clairvoyance.

Augments should be Strength based (Clout, Autonomy if solo), and I'd also have Proficiency (for skill spam) and Ferocity (for regular attacks) from Warrior, and Sinew from Fighter.

dubq

Almost forgot to give you sword Assassin pointers, thread moves so quick. I'm really glad so many new folks picked up DD, it deserves every penny (unlike that rubbish DmC).

With all melee classes IMO, you want three things; all purpose/damage, damage mitigation/counters, and a utility skill (one for specific trouble situations).

First off, you want an all purpose damage move. You can go with Burst Strike for the distance closing, or Full Moon Slash for damage (a LOT of it) and AoE. FMS is the Bible and the Constitution for me with any Sword class, so that's my choice.

Next, your mitigation. Since Sword Assassin can't roll for some stupid reason (even though bare hand/unarmed can, and double jump), you have Clairvoyance for counters, or Broad Slash for dodging. I prefer Clairvoyance because the counter has i-frames and big damage on most mobs.

Finally, your utility skill. This can be whatever you find useful (Powder Charge for burning, Great Windmill, whatever) but I go Dire Gouge. Not only does it violate large mobs, as I said earlier a lot of mobs in BBI are in between the "normal" and "large" size, so you can climb them and Dire Gouge, but also full damage with Clairvoyance.

Augments should be Strength based (Clout, Autonomy if solo), and I'd also have Proficiency (for skill spam) and Ferocity (for regular attacks) from Warrior, and Sinew from Fighter.

This is great advice. Do you have any specs for a dual blade Assassin? I'm looking at tweaking all of my classes to get the most out of them.

Have you guys been to shadow fortress since BBI?

Theres 4 gorecyclopses (2 chained ones) in the same room, what a bad time for me to bring two sorcerers and a mage lol, it's just a mess of clubs and big stomping feet.

Lol one of the chained ones just knocked the helmet off an non chained one

I love how BBI totally demands your utmost. It really doesn't waste any time in wrecking your shit.

Chaos

I picked this up recently and enjoying it.
My mage pawn is lvl 24 but I dont think anyone's hired it yet, maybe I made it suck lol

The 'top rated this month' pawn list is garbage
I have been using one of the pawns in it (just noticed it is in that list) and it's worthless, it has the grand version of the longest spells so it takes about 15seconds to cast anything.

It's pretty much useless since it rarely casts (unless vs enemies that you could already stagger/stunlock anyhow and didn't need the dmg on)

I had 2 pawns die to Death now and one of the post BBI dragons was in the next room, she spent the entire fight climbing the dragon instead of fighting (sorc pawn...)

I search some other top ranked sorc pawns and they are almost all guardians....

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I picked this up recently and enjoying it.
My mage pawn is lvl 24 but I dont think anyone's hired it yet, maybe I made it suck lol

Is your name in the google doc? I like using slightly lower level pawns from gaf.

Death hasn't killed me once yet, but I've yet to break his damage threshold yet, either. Holy focused bolt isn't even scratching him at 1600+ magic.

Infiny , do you have any advice for playing fighter or skilling a fighter pawn?
I've been eyeing stone will and down thrust but I don't get how they work, the former is a 5sec cast that seems to have no effect (no buff), the latter seems to do pretty much no dmg on downed enemies (which I assume is its purpose)

I have been using one of the pawns in it (just noticed it is in that list) and it's worthless, it has the grand version of the longest spells so it takes about 15seconds to cast anything.....
I haven't found many great 200 lvl ranger pawns. Even tho I'm maxed out, I still use the same 164 and 178 lvl pawns ive be been using for a long time

Sanctuary

I have been using one of the pawns in it (just noticed it is in that list) and it's worthless, it has the grand version of the longest spells so it takes about 15seconds to cast anything.

It's pretty much useless since it rarely casts (unless vs enemies that you could already stagger/stunlock anyhow and didn't need the dmg on)

I had 2 pawns die to Death now and one of the post BBI dragons was in the next room, she spent the entire fight climbing the dragon instead of fighting (sorc pawn...)

I search some other top ranked sorc pawns and they are almost all guardians....

Sorc pawns as Guardian is good if your own character is a Sorc, but otherwise it sucks. I'm about to start another character on another account, and I plan on making either a Mage or Sorc pawn that doesn't suck. Considering most Sorc spells aside from Miasma take too long to cast on pawns to be viable (even the non High version), I'm thinking about just going with a Mage since the only non healing thing that would seperate them would be Halidon and Voidspell.

I found almost every Mage pawn that I hired to be relatively useless. They rarely buffed at all and spent time healing scratches, or being corpses on the ground. I'd almost go as far as to say that the Mage/Sorc pawns are pretty useless in general once you're in BBI ver 2 since they can't keep up with the healing and debuff curing and you would use a panacea anyway. Was considering just saying screw it and making a Strider pawn since my new char will be an MK anyway. Dunno...

I haven't found many great 200 lvl ranger pawns. Even tho I'm maxed out, I still use the same 164 and 178 lvl pawns ive be been using for a long time

Try using a Strider pawn if you haven't yet. Rangers as pawns are probably one of the worst as far as pawn AI is concerned. There are many abilities that they simply refuse to use, and they often use the wrong ability in the most obvious ways. Striders on the other hand seem to use everything they have and generally don't run around with the dunce cap on.

aravuus

And after an hour or two and killing most bosses at least once in Everfall, I suddenly lose interest. Oh well, this usually happens. I can start hard mode with my old character and pawn now, right? Or just NG+?

Opened what I guess is the second shortcut. How far am I from the end?

Halfway in I'd say, there's a good number of rooms after it and they get much harder.

Muntu why don't you go to Bitterblack isle? it's a thousand times better than shitty everfall.

Question!

What do you guys use for curatives (exactly) in BBI , what do you carry for yourself and your pawns.
potent greenwarish doesn't cut it anymore and weight it always a big concern ,idk what to bring or where to get it

branny

Opened what I guess is the second shortcut. How far am I from the end?
Hmm...somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 of the way through, I guess.

edit: ^Halfway is really generous!

Question!

What do you guys use for curatives (exactly) in BBI , what do you carry for yourself and your pawns.
potent greenwarish doesn't cut it anymore and weight it always a big concern ,idk what to bring or where to get it
I pretty much just use whatever I pick up in there. A lot of Harspud things, Godly Analeptics/Lordly Tonics/Kingwarish, Auspicious Incense/Vivifying Incense, Giant Rank Fish/Pyrepipes/whatever stamina stuff, Panaceas... I also make sure I bring Liquid Vims, Periapts, and Wakestones in addition to the usual dragon tears (just in case), Wyrmking's Ring, skeleton keys, lantern oil, and all that.

Halfway in I'd say, there's a good number of rooms after it and they get much harder.

Muntu why don't you go to Bitterblack isle? it's a thousand times better than shitty everfall.

Question!

Kingwarish has worked for my pawns so far - I'm playing as a sorcerer on hard so I don't need to worry about healing myself, as I'm one-shotted by 90% of enemies in BBI anyway.

I've only reached the second stratum so far, so who knows if that'll work forever.

This is great advice. Do you have any specs for a dual blade Assassin? I'm looking at tweaking all of my classes to get the most out of them.

I've never rolled a dagger Assassin but my brother has, so I think I can help on this.

Same principle applies, all-purpose damage, mitigation, utility.

Damage, you have a lot of good options. Hundred Kisses, Cutting Wind, Snakebite, Advanced Trigger (also a utility skill for burning and anti-air). Snakebite would win if it weren't situational (doesn't work on big guys), but I'd go Advanced Trigger or Hundred Kisses (though the latter is boring, it's the best for damage).

Mitigation is no contest. It's Masterful Kill. Counters damn near anything for dumb broken damage and has a zillion i-frames. Though I love the look of Escape Onslaught...use Masterful Kill. Just do it.

Utility depends on if you don't mind being a cheap bastard or if you don't care. If you do care, Instant Reset is an excellent utility, the ultimate Swiss Army Knife. Cancels anything...and I mean ANYTHING. Hit out of the air? Instant Reset and land on your feet. Need to instantly release from a big mob that's shaking? IR and you drop right off. Want crazy Mahvel juggles with Advanced Trigger? IR after the uppercut and go nuts. Need Masterful Kill but in the middle of something? IR. Lazy and don't want to wait the 2 seconds for a lantern to come out? IR after the lantern's out.

If you really want to be an ass, Stealth is the tool. Even the nerfed one is insane with a Liquid Vim and allows you to beat on an enemy for free with no chance of being hit.

Augments will be Strength like with a Sword Assassin, and you may want climbing augments from Strider for Hundred Kisses spam.

theta11

Haven't played in a few days, checked the inn:

photo22oazx.jpg

Nice.

I actually sing a song I made up named catnip every time I summon your pawn. The people in my party don't enjoy it every much :/

For those experienced with BBI, what's the rundown on Rarefying?

Do we get the same result for first rarefy+3 then dragonforge+3 and first dragonforge+3 then rarefy+3 ? That is IF you can do either one first over the other.

Why is rarefying full of question marks on the upgrades? Is it random or do they just not want you to know what the changes are?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

If you are looking to have a ranger pawn on your crew keep an eye out for 200 level / the right gear / the right inclincations obviously BUT - also keep an eye on their skills.. or rather their lack of skills. Some of the best ranger pawns i've had were pawns that only had 10fold equipped to their bow and then scarlet kisses and any other two aggressive blade skills. Things like assistance arrows or gale harness will almost never be used... but if the only shot she has is 10fold she will use it at every chance that her ai decides to attack unless you get her close enough to something big in which case they will almost always use scarlet kisses.

One of my longest held Pawn friends has been a ranger for days ... and she can be brutally effective. It's true though that ranger ai for some reason is some of the worse. She will alternately eviscerate a dragon and an Elderogre with me showing extreme prejudice.... and then stare at a group of goblins and not give any fucks at all.
Kind of hilarious.

Try using a Strider pawn if you haven't yet. Rangers as pawns are probably one of the worst as far as pawn AI is concerned. There are many abilities that they simply refuse to use, and they often use the wrong ability in the most obvious ways. Striders on the other hand seem to use everything they have and generally don't run around with the dunce cap on.
wow, couldn't disagree more. I've given up on melee pawns completely, using good ranger pawns opened my eyes. My two ranger pawns have been boss, especially for farming BBI and dragonkin for dragon forging equipment. There are times my pawns will wipe out a drake by themselves and I only need to land a finishing blow. Striders have been great too I agree, but I want as strong of distance attacks as possible to balance my melee.

I was only complaining that I haven't found higher level pawns to replace the ones in my party...even if i do find a lvl 200 with better stats (which is rare), they end up having a shitty inclinations.
yup, I agree.

dosh

Damn, fighting Ur-Dragon for the first time was an experience. It took me five treks to Lament to finally beat him in an epic explosion of glory and xp (thank you, Pilgrim's Charm).

And now I don't know what to do: should I go on farming the Everfall even if I have all the gear I wanted or finish Quince's quest? Are there cool events to trigger in the world map during post-game? I hardly traveled outside of Gran Soren since killing Grigori.

phierce

Damn, fighting Ur-Dragon for the first time was an experience. It took me five treks to Lament to finally beat him in an epic explosion of glory and xp (thank you, Pilgrim's Charm).

And now I don't know what to do: should I go on farming the Everfall even if I have all the gear I wanted or finish Quince's quest? Are there cool events to trigger in the world map during post-game? I hardly traveled outside of Gran Soren since killing Grigori.
There's more drakes, wyrms and wyverns scattered around in various spots. There a notice board quest to kill a big mob in Frontier Caverns. There's different minor mobs around the world. That's about it.

Skilletor

A Ranger pawn is the SOLE reason I could beat the dragon my first try. He was doing some ability to the weak point that caused the screen to flash white and made health bars disappear in 50% increments.

dosh

There's more drakes, wyrms and wyverns scattered around in various spots. There a notice board quest to kill a big mob in Frontier Caverns. There's different minor mobs around the world. That's about it.

Ok. Wyvern and Frontier Caverns it is then. Thanks!

Erm I just realized I had a Heaven's Key dagger in my inventory today, that it seemed really powerful and I used it on Grigori in NG+. So now it's dragonforged+1 and I'm happy.
But then I went to the game's wikia and saw Heaven's Key is a reward for slaying Ur-Dragon (dealing the killing blow)...the puzzling thing is I haven't killed him yet, only helped a bit in the fight against Generation 224 and recently 226. It's weird :>

RangerBAD

wow, couldn't disagree more. I've given up on melee pawns completely, using good ranger pawns opened my eyes. My two ranger pawns have been boss, especially for farming BBI and dragonkin for dragon forging equipment. There are times my pawns will wipe out a drake by themselves and I only need to land a finishing blow. Striders have been great too I agree, but I want as strong of distance attacks as possible to balance my melee.

I was only complaining that I haven't found higher level pawns to replace the ones in my party...even if i do find a lvl 200 with better stats (which is rare), they end up having a shitty inclinations.yup, I agree.

Been rolling with a 121 Strider by the name of Red for like 30 levels (I'm 150 something now) and I can't replace her because she is a boon and has more STR than my Ranger somehow. Good equipment that's all gold and best bow there is.

By the way, finally got a Revenant Wail! Stagger is great on it. Now I've got no RC and I'm sitting on a few level 3 weapons and armor.

If you're done with the Everfall, you might as well go to NG+ before you go to BBI, so that you have some blue skies to warp back to and take a break when you're tired of getting pounded.

Fighting the Ur-Dragon is my idea of welcome reprieve from BBI. It's where my Arisen and pawns go on vacation.

i prefer to bring one fighter pawn with me if possible. i hate when enemies bounce around too much. for example, the second fight i had with daimon was much easier with a pawn pulling aggro.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Items for upgrade you can only get from BBI bosses is lame. They always chump you out of one big main ingredient, or give you too few.

I've got an absolutely banging Mystic Knight with superb armor, but I'm hearing you pretty much have to go at Daimon 2 as an Assassin or other Archer, and I have pretty shitty equips for that :/

So I just beat Daimon 2.0 as a sword assassin. I had fully upgraded Dragon's Dogma sword and fully upgraded Dragon's Ire (which was basically useless) for the fight.

Here's how I did it:

Through a large number of attempts I found that climbing on him was just impossible. Every time I tried climbing up to his chest-face I would get struck by lightning almost instantaneously which would often kill me or very nearly kill me at least.

By a fluke, I ended up getting even higher on Daimon in my latest attempt, up to his top head (not the chest-face). I'm not sure if you do less damage here or not, but it's definitely A LOT safer. Most of Daimon's attacks couldn't hurt me from up there. I get struck by the odd lightning bolt, but not all 3 or 4 as it had been before, and I had enough curatives that that didn't matter so much.

I stayed up on Daimon's head for the ENTIRE fight. I used pyrepyre mushrooms and harspud sauce when necessary to restore stamina, and just used Dire Gouge over and over.

When Daimon's body becomes engulfed in flame it can be very dangerous, but I managed to leap in to the air at the exact moment that he burst, and grabbed his head again on my way down.

I was amazed the fight went so well. I got pretty lucky in some aspects I think, but I think it's a sound strategy if you can't do enough damage at a range.

Now, I have a some questions about the loot.

I got two level 3 weapons from the battle. I got Devilsbane and Revenant Wail. Now, Devilsbane looks great, and I would love to have a sword to replace my Dragon's Dogma, but I don't really want Revenant Wail - unless it were to come with level 3 daggers, in which case I probably wouldn't mind switching to Ranger, but the strongest daggers I have right now are Dragon's Pain (I have 3 of them... ugh) and they're not very strong. My vocation was assassin and my pawn's was fighter when I purified those weapons.

Now, my question is, if I reload and change vocation and purify again, is there any way I can get Devilsbane and maybe a stronger shield, or a stronger normal bow (not longbow)?

How many different combinations are there to try for with changing vocations and purifying?

If I'm an Assassin right now and my pawn is a Fighter, would merely changing my vocation to Fighter give different results?

Is there a different resulting purification for every permutation of arisen and pawn vocations?

RangerBAD

Items for upgrade you can only get from BBI bosses is lame. They always chump you out of one big main ingredient, or give you too few.

I've got an absolutely banging Mystic Knight with superb armor, but I'm hearing you pretty much have to go at Daimon 2 as an Assassin or other Archer, and I have pretty shitty equips for that :/

If you have too few items, just go to the Black Cat and forge them.

Eusis

For a first run it's terrible, but for secondary runs they may be preferable to some of the others, for example I have no idea where Giant Saurian Sages reliably spawn in the second run and every room seems to have at least two sets of encounters anyway.

Also as noted go for forgeries, though so many fucking things want the Giant Saurian Sage pelts that I would rather farm a group of them.

Top Bottom