• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

I'm curious (and this obviously depends on your main pawn's vocation and your own), but what vocations do you prefer the most for hired pawns and which do you use the least?

As a warrior I have a fighter main pawn (because I feel like I'm made of tissue paper even as a warrior) with a stider at all times and a mage to heal me. I have the greater recoverable life augment and healing is really valuable to me because of that. I also never get any pawn with guardian as a my only hard and fast rule for inclination choice. Looks almost never matter unless you created Dennis Rodman.

Most of my hired pawns are Rangers, Striders and Fighters (in that order). Don't have much luck with Mages or Socerers, specially in BBI.

As for healing, I give 10 Harspud Sauce to each pawn (more if they have Sinew).

Raptomex

Most of my hired pawns are Rangers, Striders and Fighters (in that order). Don't have much luck with Mages or Socerers, specially in BBI.

Do they use it on their own? I always hire a mage/sorcerer with healing magic.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Same here. I like MK. Even more than fighter / assassin.

Funny thing is I rolled MK because I wanted to play perfect block style, but I still haven't unlocked reflect lol. I enjoy the tanking style, though my char is heavy as fuck now.

I don't give consumables to my pawns, nor do I use them unless I'm super close to downing something and I have no choice. Fuck consumables!

Where do you buy harspud sauce? Isn't potent greenwarish easier and much cheaper (greenwarish is annoying for the player since it doesn't heal for all that and having to use 4-5 every time you take a big hit sucks, but a pawn doesn't require any micro so it doesnt matter I think)

I need a better way to handle debuff curing too, I keep buying 5 of each debuff cure for each pawn, they go through them VERRRRY slowly , but the problem is that if a pawn falls off a cliff I have to put them all back into his inventory which is tedious.
I don't know where to get enough panacea or the other 'all debuff' cures to use those instead.

And another question to anyone who knows (130 hours in is late to be asking this stuff isn't it:p)
Does weight have any benifits? I mean more weight = more sta usage and slower movement, and you weight down flying enemies more, but is there a benifit to being heavy when tanking? Does it reduce the chance to be knocked down or staggered or increase knockdown on your own hits or something?
I kept going out of my way to keep my weight light when playing fighter and warrior, if only because the movement speed penalty annoyed me to no end.

/So I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, but I'm a level 30 Mystic Knight right now. Switched from Fighter to the paladin as soon as I could at level 10, and now I feel like I'm doing it wrong. Was I supposed to work in other classes as well to get the augments or something? I have no idea how to do this.

Is there a way to reset all of your Discipline points and rekit your character?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
/So I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, but I'm a level 30 Mystic Knight right now. Switched from Fighter to the paladin as soon as I could at level 10, and now I feel like I'm doing it wrong. Was I supposed to work in other classes as well to get the augments or something? I have no idea how to do this.

There's nothing inherently wrong with going fighter to MK. MK has balanced stat growth so you're going to be all-around fine for either melee or magic. Were you to play other vocations, warrior for example, you'd be able to help your attack stat growth and get some offensive augments. While you technically don't need augments from other classes, the fun of the game is definitely getting other classes' augments, building your char the way you want, and in the process playing a new playstyle for a bit.

So for my MK I did the same as you, fighter first, but then went sorc to 1) get to play a caster, 2) get the best magic stat growth to help my MK later, and 3) to get the insanely good sorc augments. There's nothing wrong with jumping from class to class if you don't mind your stat growth being a bit wonky. I actually envy people who just jump class to class because of how much fun they must have.

Best augments for physical dmg classes:
-clout (+20 percent strenghth , requires rank 10 warrio)
-vehemence (+10 percent str, requires rank 7? fighter)
-sinew (+20 kg to carry weight limit, rank 5 fighter , this one is a must imo for convenience)

The str augments are optional in the vanilla game though, you can damage enemies well enough without them in vanilla, in the expansion island (BBI) it's needed badly though

For casters (i don't know the names of these)
-the one that recudes knockdown chance when you are busy casting, it's a sorcerer one I believe

-+20 percent magic damage, rank 7 or 9 sorc augment I think

- 15 percent faster casting, rank 9 sorcerer augment

Scaling augments are great, the ones that just give +100hp or +100 stamina are only useful in early game, post game and in BBI they are totally useless

Also a cool augment to have is suasion, 15 percent more money when you sell stuff to a shop, I believe it's a sorcerer one again ! might be mage too.

Do they use it on their own? I always hire a mage/sorcerer with healing magic.

Yes, they use it (that and other items) when need it.

Where do you buy harspud sauce? Isn't potent greenwarish easier and much cheaper (greenwarish is annoying for the player since it doesn't heal for all that and having to use 4-5 every time you take a big hit sucks, but a pawn doesn't require any micro so it doesnt matter I think)

You can buy Harspud Sauce in Gran Soren at Camellia's Apothecary. They recover more Health and also recovers Stamina. It's more expensive that Potent Greenwarish, but it's also more usefull.

I need a better way to handle debuff curing too, I keep buying 5 of each debuff cure for each pawn, they go through them VERRRRY slowly , but the problem is that if a pawn falls off a cliff I have to put them all back into his inventory which is tedious.
I don't know where to get enough panacea or the other 'all debuff' cures to use those instead.

Why don't you give only Panacea instead of 5 of each debuff cure ? You can buy it at Camellia's Apothecary.

espher

Late to the party, but I've been unable to track down a copy locally to impulse buy this, so I guess I can do some fact-finding. I've got no IRL friends picking this up influencing my console choice, so am I better off picking this up for 360 or PS3? I have no particular preferences beyond whichever version gives me the most fluid framerate (is there a good video comparison of that and the tearing btw). I don't have XBL Gold if there's something that leans on online play.

I'm an expert

Late to the party, but I've been unable to track down a copy locally to impulse buy this, so I guess I can do some fact-finding. I've got no IRL friends picking this up influencing my console choice, so am I better off picking this up for 360 or PS3? I have no particular preferences beyond whichever game gives me the most fluid framerate. I don't have XBL Gold if there's something that leans on online play.

From everything you said, go with PS3 and add a bunch of gafer's from the list.

Yes, they use it (that and other items) when need it.

You can buy Harspud Sauce in Gran Soren at Camellia's Apothecary. They recover more Health and also recovers Stamina. It's more expensive that Potent Greenwarish, but it's also more usefull.

Why don't you give only Panacea instead of 5 of each debuff cure ? You can buy it at Camellia's Apothecary.

I guess me being a cheapskate with consumables (not out of choice, I thought panacea and the sauce etc were always limited stock) is why I always have over 3 million gold

Late to the party, but I've been unable to track down a copy locally to impulse buy this, so I guess I can do some fact-finding. I've got no IRL friends picking this up influencing my console choice, so am I better off picking this up for 360 or PS3? I have no particular preferences beyond whichever version gives me the most fluid framerate (is there a good video comparison of that and the tearing btw). I don't have XBL Gold if there's something that leans on online play.
I hear the xbox version has pretty bad tearing, ps3 version of DA has no tearing at all (rare to see a game that doesn't have it on consoles)

The framerate can be dire at times though, but I think it is like that on both consoles.
Still wish there was a pc version of this game:(

MechaX

Huh. I just opened up the second shortcut and I'm not really having that much fun with Bitterblack Isle as I would have hoped.

There are just way too many encounters so far where they would just put several massive enemies in very tiny rooms. Hell, just now,
I took care of some undead grand wizard, and then suddenly three giant hellhounds spawned that insta-killed everyone in one swipe.
I know you're supposed to be pretty high level for this stuff, but it just seems... strange that there have been quite a few enemies with a million bars of health, hit like trucks, but give very negligible exp.

I guess I'll give it a little more time, but I'm not really feeling BBI.

Slygmous

It doesn't require Gold for the online features, and the tearing isn't as bad as people make it out to be (I've only noticed a slight tear once so far in my first several hours, maybe it'll worsen?). Apparently the Xbox version has a slightly higher framerate, so I'm happy with my purchase.
That said, PS3 seems to have the higher GAF community, so possibly more choice of active pawns.

This game is very difficult to find at retail now, but it's still around. I had to get my copy through an online store after being told there were no copies in the state.

I'm an expert

Whats post game? Is it New Game+?

I'm trying to avoid spoilers on Wiki pages.

The game is essentially divided into two halves. You'll complete the main quest, and then you'll go into a post-main quest world where you can continue to play and see how the world has changed/what new things there are. There will then be another quest you can do anytime that will essentially be the true end of your playthrough and revert your game to beginning, thereby starting ng+.

Card Boy

Banned
The game is essentially divided into two halves. You'll complete the main quest, and then you'll go into a post-main quest world where you can continue to play and see how the world has changed/what new things there are. There will then be another quest you can do anytime that will essentially be the true end of your playthrough and revert your game to beginning, thereby starting ng+.

Cheers. I will give it a shot tonight.

I'm an expert

Cheers. I will give it a shot tonight.

In essence, what appears to be the end, is really only the beginning. But be careful because once you do the ng+ quest there's no going back and you'll have to do the whole main story again to get back into post-main quest world.

vakarian32

Got around to fixing up my main pawn last night (33 Ranger), much better now with upgraded gear, skills and set to Challenger/Mitigator, couldn't believe the difference that made.. Hired some new support pawns which took a while to find good ones, 90% of them are all set as Guardian!

Eusis

In essence, what appears to be the end, is really only the beginning. But be careful because once you do the ng+ quest there's no going back and you'll have to do the whole main story again to get back into post-main quest world.
I wouldn't bother hyping it up, it is something that can be done very quickly and is very much more like an epilogue. You CAN blow a lot more time there, but it's not for the same reasons you'd play a lot of the main game.

I haven't had the time to really blaze through this game but I'm at level 34~ or so and just doing any quests that come my way in Gran Soren. Went from Fighter to Warrior vocation and I'm only playing on Normal but outside of two encounters that caught me off-guard early on I haven't had much of a problem destroying everything I see.

I know there were Dark Souls comparisons made, but the game's felt like an Elder Scrolls and Monster Hunter blend. Although I'm enjoying it way more than I have the last couple ES games, and the Monster Hunter aspect comes across in things like how you may stumble upon larger enemy encounters, the overlap in things like mining and gathering items that also share similar animations, the design of the world (of what I've played) comes off as one large Monster Hunter map, along with the deliberate animations in the larger weaponry.

Dunno when I'll finish it at this pace, but I'm chippin' away bit by bit and liking it.

Got around to fixing up my main pawn last night (33 Ranger), much better now with upgraded gear, skills and set to Challenger/Mitigator, couldn't believe the difference that made.. Hired some new support pawns which took a while to find good ones, 90% of them are all set as Guardian!

Yeah good pawns with the right skillbuilds and augments and the right inclinations make a huuuuuuuuge difference.
When it clicks the AI really holds its own as well, when you have a crappy build then the pawn can be awful.

I finally figured out some good pawn builds and what to look for and it's verrry satisfying to see your pawns able to carry you through BBI.

DC1

Ok DA BBI GAF Family

I have four (4) Cursed Weapon Lvl 3 items:

I have killed myself 20+ times in every main pawn combination of yellow/yellow as well as MA + main pawn (Strider or ranger).

However, purification will not give me the Blackwing bow!
It's always a combination of :
- Revenant Wail
- Darkening Storm
- Framae Blades x 2 (x2 WTF?)

Question for the GAF family:
What are the methods that you used to land the Blackwing bow?

- What was your and your main pawn's vocation?
- Did you have any additional 'rented' pawns present/available?
- Was you by your self (Main pawn was not present)?

You guys are my collective Obi-Wan Kenobi!

God

Goddammit

I spent nearly an hour and half fighting the two Gore-cyclops and the three giant evil dogs of doom, killed all the dogs and decided to finally say fuck it all and book it.

Only to meet the sharp end of some fucking evil looking swordsmen who look like GWAR roadies and they one shot me and play volleyball with my corpse.

If that make you feel better there is NOthing worse afterward for this playthrough

Ok DA BBI GAF Family

I have four (4) Cursed Weapon Lvl 3 items:

I have killed myself 20+ times in every main pawn combination of yellow/yellow as well as MA + main pawn (Strider or ranger).

However, purification will not give me the Blackwing bow!
It's always a combination of :
- Revenant Wail
- Darkening Storm
- Framae Blades x 2 (x2 WTF?)

Question for the GAF family:
What are the methods that you used to land the Blackwing bow?

- What was your and your main pawn's vocation?
- Did you have any additional 'rented' pawns present/available?
- Was you by your self (Main pawn was not present)?

You guys are my collective Obi-Wan Kenobi!

I think you're shit out of luck.
When you get an item drop it's already decided what it is for caster/light armor/heavy armor (the 3 vocation groups)

You can change the group by changing your vocation , but you can't change the outcome within each group.
If the heavy group result for an item is MK gloves it's always MK gloves if it comes out as heavy armor. It can't be leggings or a helmet.

Same for weaps, if it's a sorc staff, longbow or 2h mace, then it'll always be one of those three, you can't make the sorc staff into a mage one by changing vocation or reloading.
You can get an item for a different vocation group but not a different item for the same vocation group.

You'll need to farm more lv.3 weapons until you get one that is the bow if purified as light armor vocation.

The 2 blades you get is because you have 2 of the same lv3 items with the same outcome.

DC1

I think you're shit out of luck.
When you get an item drop it's already decided what it is for caster/light armor/heavy armor (the 3 vocation groups)

You can change the group by changing your vocation , but you can't change the outcome within each group.
If the heavy group result for an item is MK gloves it's always MK gloves if it comes out as heavy armor. It can't be leggings or a helmet.

Same for weaps, if it's a sorc staff, longbow or 2h mace, then it'll always be one of those three, you can't make the sorc staff into a mage one by changing vocation or reloading.
You can get an item for a different vocation group but not a different item for the same vocation group.

You'll need to farm more lv.3 weapons until you get one that is the bow if purified as light armor vocation.

The 2 blades you get is because you have 2 of the same lv3 items with the same outcome.

Thanks - I'm going into battle as a MA with my main pawn as a ranger (following by two rented Striders).
The above is not problematic to you is it?

maomaoIYP

I'm curious (and this obviously depends on your main pawn's vocation and your own), but what vocations do you prefer the most for hired pawns and which do you use the least?

As a warrior I have a fighter main pawn (because I feel like I'm made of tissue paper even as a warrior) with a stider at all times and a mage to heal me. I have the greater recoverable life augment and healing is really valuable to me because of that. I also never get any pawn with guardian as a my only hard and fast rule for inclination choice. Looks almost never matter unless you created Dennis Rodman.
In my main save file -
Vocations I play mostly: Sorc, Assassin, MK
Vocations I like, but don't play too often: Fighter, Warrior, MA
Vocations I never play: Strider, Ranger, Mage
My main pawn has all vocations maxed but has remained a mage since maxing everything out.
Pawn vocations I hire: Sorc, Fighter, Warrior.
I don't think I've ever needed to hire the rest. In general I don't really like the bow classes, I favor magick for ranged attacks.
If you look at the Gran Soren Times you'll see that sorc pawns are by far the most numerous, followed by mages, rangers and fighters.

I'm a little sad BBI is starting to feel boring to me after killing Daimon 2.0 once. I'm torn between wanting all the awesome gear and the fact that there's absolutely no point to getting it.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm a little sad BBI is starting to feel boring to me after killing Daimon 2.0 once. I'm torn between wanting all the awesome gear and the fact that there's absolutely no point to getting it.

This is one of the foundational problems I have with the way the expansion content is handled. We're going to put a dungeon into the game, it's the END of the game, (well, you can go there any time, but I mean that there is nothing as challenging as this in the normal game) there's nothing else to do, and you can get all kinds of cool gear. and.. for what? there's nowhere else to go and nothing else to do after BBI.

I was really hoping DA would have some new itemization in the lower levels as well, throughout the normal game. Oh well. DD is still one of my favorite games in a long time.

DC1

Will do :D

Thanks a bunch.

Don't do!!

Play on normal.
Get a feel for the game. Don't go to BBI until you are very comfortable... as you will get your A$$ handed to you regularly until you have decent BBI Gear, Weapons and Armor.

I do wish there had been one more challenge, something to use your new equipment on after Daimon 2.0. You grind and farm to get the gear, everything becomes easy and then...its over.

Foxix Von

Don't do!!

Play on normal.
Get a feel for the game. Don't go to BBI until you are very comfortable... as you will get your A$$ handed to you regularly until you have decent BBI Gear, Weapons and Armor.

Huh, won't the core of the game be incredibly easy otherwise? How hard is hard mode? Like I said earlier I beat the initial game twice on normal but I haven't touched hard yet.

I do wish there had been one more challenge, something to use your new equipment on after Daimon 2.0. You grind and farm to get the gear, everything becomes easy and then...its over.

But then, what would you get from beating that new last boss?

Or I guess what they should have done was just a Dark Souls style NG+ where the difficulty of everything ramps up every time you beat the game.

Huh, won't the core of the game be incredibly easy otherwise? How hard is hard mode? Like I said earlier I beat the initial game twice on normal but I haven't touched hard yet.

You are right, the problem is BBI will fuck you up even on normal, imagine hard.

Anyway, pawn sharing has nothing to with what difficulty settings people are at right?

There's an item you get on BBI that shortens the forging process, but it doesn't seem to expedite it by enough to be useful for more than, well, avoiding a redundant inn stay.

Oh, I know that; what I'm saying is that it has only ever taken 24hrs (1 inn stay) to forge an item.

If you sleep till morning, run to the Black Cat and hand over the item, sleep again, the item is ready. That's one stay. ???

Eusis

Oh, I know that; what I'm saying is that it has only ever taken 24hrs (1 inn stay) to forge an item.

If you sleep till morning, run to the Black Cat and hand over the item, sleep again, the item is ready. That's one stay. ???
Oh, yeah, that's always worked realiably, I was doing that before I got my paper.

Oh, yeah, that's always worked realiably, I was doing that before I got my paper.

Oh, ok.

And those papers really are absolutely worthless. I have 4 of them on my character and I can't even hand over an item in the afternoon, sleep till morning, then pick it up.

"Not quite ready." He says.
"It'll be a while longer." He says.

o_O

I'll punch you in the colon, motherfucker! Forge my goddam shit!

Bragging rights, man. Go for the gold. I'm doing alright in BBI on hard and I don't even have any BBI weapons yet.

Dresden

Man, I have no idea what's up with my pawn. She does nothing.

Scather/Challenger, leveled as fighter or warrior or ranger the whole time. After hitting BBI, she's gotten worse. Might have to see if Utilitarian will work out.

Sanctuary

Yeah, I'd agree with that. The Chest Snakeys are the biggest example of that. In D.Souls you learn to tap every chest to "make sure", but in this you either got to take the hit or wait for your pawns to take the hit. Cheap game design, not clever.

The chests in Dark Souls are completely obvious. Just look at the way the chain is lying on the floor.

Man, I have no idea what's up with my pawn. She does nothing.

Scather/Challenger, leveled as fighter or warrior or ranger the whole time. After hitting BBI, she's gotten worse. Might have to see if Utilitarian will work out.

I don't know how anything after Scather is supposed to work, since it's supposed to go after the enemy with the most health. And there will always be an enemy with the most health, unless Scather actually has a threshold.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. The Chest Snakeys are the biggest example of that. In D.Souls you learn to tap every chest to "make sure", but in this you either got to take the hit or wait for your pawns to take the hit. Cheap game design, not clever.

Nothing cheap about taking a calculated risk.

DD is often cheap, throughout BBI and at least one room in the Everfall, but I wouldn't consider the mimics "cheap".

phierce

Nothing cheap about taking a calculated risk.

DD is often cheap, throughout BBI and at least one room in the Everfall, but I wouldn't consider the mimics "cheap".
I agree.
Honestly...the mimics are nothing. My first trip to BBI I got one 10 minutes in...it was a surprise, but we killed it with zero problem. What's the issue?

Top Bottom