• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

I agree.
Honestly...the mimics are nothing. My first trip to BBI I got one 10 minutes in...it was a surprise, but we killed it with zero problem. What's the issue?

When I first got to BBI getting eaten by one of those things was sure death for me. Now, they're no problem, I can kill them in seconds, but they used to be a huge pain.

I started BBI at around lv.60, so they've never been able to one-shot me. They're only troublesome because they're highly resistant to magic and I have to rely on my melee pawns to finish the job if they haven't been exequy'd yet.

Dave1988

Oh, ok.

And those papers really are absolutely worthless. I have 4 of them on my character and I can't even hand over an item in the afternoon, sleep till morning, then pick it up.

"Not quite ready." He says.
"It'll be a while longer." He says.

o_O

I'll punch you in the colon, motherfucker! Forge my goddam shit!

Apparently, the item reduces the wait by 8 minutes (4 in-game hours). Goddamn useless lol

maomaoIYP

Man, I have no idea what's up with my pawn. She does nothing.

Scather/Challenger, leveled as fighter or warrior or ranger the whole time. After hitting BBI, she's gotten worse. Might have to see if Utilitarian will work out.

BBI seemed to introduce a lot of pawn AI and pathing problems. I've had my own pawns chase me down relentlessly only to bow. I've had scathers chill out on the 2nd floor while I'm getting mobbed on the 1st. I've had pawns sprint with me to a cliff's edge only to jump right off when they reach it.

Dresden

Yeah, it's so inconsistent. I had my pawn slowly walk away as a bunch of skeletons chased after me. Then just now, it damn near solos an Elder Ogre with Dragon Maw's and perfect blocks everywhere.

Apparently, the item reduces the wait by 8 minutes (4 in-game hours). Goddamn useless lol

So, if they stack, you need 6 for instant forging... do they stack?

I sent you 6 armors today, BTW. One was a Hellfire Armor (lol, 3rd in 3 days, stupid RNG) so hopefully you get something good.

maomaoIYP

hard. you'll be bored otherwise as a veteran imo. BBI will go by too fast. you want to feel every piece of equipment.

I'm playing a new save from lvl 1, hard with only the main pawn. I made both the arisen and pawn as tall and large as possible. It's refreshing to get instakilled by wolves! And I have to block bats' attacks in order to stay alive.

Dave1988

So, if they stack, you need 6 for instant forging... do they stack?

I sent you 6 armors today, BTW. One was a Hellfire Armor (lol, 3rd in 3 days, stupid RNG) so hopefully you get something good.

I don't think they stack.

Yeah, I received the armors. I got a Betrayer's armor out of them. Much appreciated. Keep sending me those armors if you can. I got a feeling that the Hellfire armor will be a bitch to get :S

Eusis

Nothing cheap about taking a calculated risk.

DD is often cheap, throughout BBI and at least one room in the Everfall, but I wouldn't consider the mimics "cheap".
To be honest they ARE the least of my concern, as I usually just wait for pawns to get near me before opening a chest so they can lay fire on it immediately. It may be why the Pioneer inclination is a terrible idea for BBI though, and maybe why Kyoufu's pawn ran off with that one.

Though Kyoufu's pawn also kept jumping up and down in place on top of railing in BBI, so clearly something there just fucks with the heads of pawns period.

Dresden

Well, I failed pretty hard--put Burst Strike on my pawn, took off every shield skill other than Shield Drum, and now she's zipping around murdering everything. Figures that defensive skills in general for pawns are somewhat useless, especially since they seem to nail perfect blocks quite often.

Also ran into a Garm for the first time. Damn.

Hell yes, got a Cursed Bite from a chest in the room with Living Armor. And to boot it's based on my favorite sword design in the game (Carnation).

My story for the night (with a protip at the end). I'm at 70 in part three of BBI, still rolling my solo sword Assassin. Fight my way through the Spectres with my trusty Throwblasts, kill an Elder Ogre to complete the quest. After running into Death and pulling a ninja on out of there, I get to the room with Living Armor.

A big buffed MK, joy. I go at him and find that he has my favorite trick...dude spams Full Moon Slash. FML. Using a Surging Light Tome (Holy Furor) to stagger him, I start shredding him with four Conqueror's Periapts and Full Moon Slash, using Clairvoyance to stuff his shield counters. Everything is going good...then his armor comes off. Oh hell.

Now he's like a spectre, immune to physical attacks and only magic dents him. I'm a solo Assassin. This is bad. I use my magic tomes and Jewels of Summoning to whittle away at him and he nails me with a big hit. I'm low on heals and magic items, so I back off while I think of how I'm gonna win this. He's quick and gives chase so I climb up the steps to the top and jump out on the pillars where they normally put chests (there's a Macabre Sculpture up here, FYI guys), thinking he can't get me up there. Turns out, he can. The armor jumps up on the pillar and goes to charge me, I'm waiting for the attack to use Clairvoyance...and he falls off and hits the ground. And dies. XD

So, that protip I mentioned (besides always carry magic tomes if you're solo)?

Living Armor will insta-kill himself if you climb up the stairs and jump on the pillars, and let him chase you.

I drop down, take his loot, raid his chests and get my sword. A good day of adventuring.

aravuus

Alright, gonna go and check out BBI to see if I can actually get interested in the post-game. What was this again about bad mage/sorcerer pawn ai there, should I change my sorc to someone else?

Also, if someone could give me better daggers and normal bow, it'd be greatly appreciated :p
Daggers at 540 atk and bow at 267 atk, I'm AlmightyARA from the pawn list in the op.

BeeDog

Alright, since Dave1988 was so awesome as to gift me tons of lvl. 3 weapon items, how can I ensure that I'll get the best weapon for my Magick Archer, which I assume is the Blackwing Bow?

Should I send off my main pawn or...?

jfoul

Right now I'm sitting on 21k RC with the original Dragon's Dogma, and I was thinking about getting some new skin colors. Should I save my RC if I'm going to buy Dark Arisen? I'm unsure about the customization features included with DA.

Man, I have no idea what's up with my pawn. She does nothing.

Scather/Challenger, leveled as fighter or warrior or ranger the whole time. After hitting BBI, she's gotten worse. Might have to see if Utilitarian will work out.

You already figured it out but:
For pawns in BBI you need to put the right skills on them (and the right elements for casters)
, you also need fast casts for BBI because with cramped quarters + fast move they'll either knockyour guys down or move out of LOS

I noticed pawns who meet a brand new enemy are also useless until they figure out the elements/weak spots, they'll mostly just try to climb the enemy or stand there doing not much at all.

There are severe pathing issues in 2 of the areas (the stairs inside the 'tower' in the underground open area just past where you meet death for the second time and where you meet the first annihilator (minotaur) is really really glitchy. So your pawns will do a lot worse there if they are set up poorly

As for people complaining about the gear of daimon 2 being useless, the game is already well over 100 hours long, a MEANINGFUL 100 hours with good gameplay.
I think the fact that you aren't expected to grind gear for anything (that it comes naturally) is a good thing, gameplay > chasing carrots.

There was one or two parts in BBI that felt like a gearcheck to me (first elder ogres you meet and the 3 dog ambush past the second shortcut ) and they almost soured me on the expansion.
I like to adventure and play skillbased fights, not have to fill bars and chase carrots just to be able to break a damage treshold.
The game is way better with the grind being optional and at the very very end of the game.

If you want to chase carrots, there it is! but the people who don't like it don't have to suffer so others can satisfy their lower instincts.

DC1

Huh, won't the core of the game be incredibly easy otherwise? How hard is hard mode? Like I said earlier I beat the initial game twice on normal but I haven't touched hard yet.

The core of the game is only incredibly easy on NG+ (After you Weapon/Gear up).
Standard Normal on your first run through is challenging enough.

However, even in NG+ at lvl 100 BBI will kick your butt... until you upgrade your weapons/armor/gear according to BBI's survival requirements.

After you accomplish that.. feel free to tackle the game on Hard Mode.

Audioboxer

I'm currently in the mid 30's for my level, and have just recently completed the wyrmm quests.

Is there any loot I could get from venturing briefly into BBI, or will I be mauled at my level? Wondering if I can snatch some goodies, then return to do the meat of BBI once I've finished the main campaign.

I'm currently in the mid 30's for my level, and have just recently completed the wyrmm quests.

Is there any loot I could get from venturing briefly into BBI, or will I be mauled at my level? Wondering if I can snatch some goodies, then return to do the meat of BBI once I've finished the main campaign.

There's nothing good in the first rooms of BBI and you'll get mauled past those.
If you want loot near the end of the main story then do the gryphin's bane quest and go to bluemoon tower.

Also if you are a female char then madeleine has some incredibly good gear once you give her the gold idol (the sultry pants leg armor stayed best in slot for me until level 2 bbi items)

I wouldn't worry about gear until post game anyhow, just enjoy the adventure and the combat.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Doing the clear the quarry quest and I got a crazy good upgrade for a weapon in a chest. First time that's happened and it's been for my class..

Thanks to the gaffer who hired my pawn and gifted me a lvl 3 cursed gear item!
It purified into a ring that makes you immune to drenching, this is going to be SO much more convenient in some of the areas in BBI, hate having to relight the lantern or curing drenched every 5seconds

Thanks to the gaffer who hired my pawn and gifted me a lvl 3 cursed gear item!
It purified into a ring that makes you immune to drenching, this is going to be SO much more convenient in some of the areas in BBI, hate having to relight the lantern or curing drenched every 5seconds

That was me. Your pawn was a Strider at that time.

Glad that the Cursed Gear was usefull for you. :)

Alright, since Dave1988 was so awesome as to gift me tons of lvl. 3 weapon items, how can I ensure that I'll get the best weapon for my Magick Archer, which I assume is the Blackwing Bow?

Should I send off my main pawn or...?

Save right in front of Olra, change you and your pawn to Strider/Strider, purify and see what you get. If you don't get it, godsbane and reload, change vocations to Ranger/Ranger or Magick Archer and Strider/Ranger.

I got tons of Blackwings when I was going for the Revenant Wail and both me and my pawn were Rangers.

There is a chance that you won't get it at all, though.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Wow there seems to be a big delay on the pawns being updated or on the gifts coming through then, my pawn hasn't been strider in two days and gained like 20 levels since

Hired pawns don't auto update, you'd have to release them once and rehire.

Skilletor

I accidentally killed Asalam :(.

He's respawned, but now he runs everytime he sees me. :(

lol

Will this stop or am I screwed out of an inn for the rest of my time here?

Ninjaholic

Neo Member
FINALLY beat Daimon's 2nd form. Granted it took an HOUR with me just pelting him with my Dragons Ire doing just minimal incremental damage coupled with Lycan shot which barely does a little more.
All of my pawns died thanks to his vortex not even two life bars down. After that it was just me rolling like a mother fucker avoiding all his attacks and distancing myself to slowly and I mean SLOWLY chip away at his health with my bow.
After all was said and done I got the Framae blades and Shadow hood for my assassin. Now all I need is to farm the rest of the shadow armor, best sword, shield, and bow, and ring for my assassin. So at this rate I say will get them by the time Dragons Dogma 5:Darkest Arisen comes out for the PS5! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

I'm an expert

Finally got reflect on my MK..yes....yesssssssss this is why I rerolled. Percect block build is gonna be so good.

GorillaJu

FINALLY beat Daimon's 2nd form. Granted it took an HOUR with me just pelting him with my Dragons Ire doing just minimal incremental damage coupled with Lycan shot which barely does a little more.
All of my pawns died thanks to his vortex not even two life bars down. After that it was just me rolling like a mother fucker avoiding all his attacks and distancing myself to slowly and I mean SLOWLY chip away at his health with my bow.
After all was said and done I got the Framae blades and Shadow hood for my assassin. Now all I need is to farm the rest of the shadow armor, best sword, shield, and bow, and ring for my assassin. So at this rate I say will get them by the time Dragons Dogma 5:Darkest Arisen comes out for the PS5! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

It'll go much, much faster once you start getting all your Lvl 3 Cursed gear identified.

Try bringing Conqueror's periapts (you can buy them from Fournival in Gran Soren, up to 4 stack at a time), and blast arrows. That will really help you speed up the Daimon 2 kills.

Finally got reflect on my MK..yes....yesssssssss this is why I rerolled. Percect block build is gonna be so good.

Can MK use the roost shield? if so I want to try it:D

Also I think I'll rid myself of all low lvl materials that have been piling up in my bags, it makes forging stuff a pain having to sift trhough almost 600 items...

Ninjaholic

Neo Member
It'll go much, much faster once you start getting all your Lvl 3 Cursed gear identified.

Try bringing Conqueror's periapts (you can buy them from Fournival in Gran Soren, up to 4 stack at a time), and blast arrows. That will really help you speed up the Daimon 2 kills.

Yeah, I was gonna switch to Ranger and do just that but I decided to try one last time with my assassin and somehow did it. Next time I will stock up on blast arrows and Conq periapts and maybe even try going solo and using Autonomy since it's just a short matter of time before they die and or become useless. Then again my main pawn was a Sorcerer and I had two mages.
Any suggestions of what are the best type of pawns to have to accompany my Assassin to take on Daimon 2.0?

I'm an expert

Can MK use the roost shield? if so I want to try it:D

Also I think I'll rid myself of all low lvl materials that have been piling up in my bags, it makes forging stuff a pain having to sift trhough almost 600 items...

No idea what that is..maybe! Perfect block is fuck awesome though. FINALLY..finally..I'm going to begin wyrm hunts.

No idea what that is..maybe! Perfect block is fuck awesome though. FINALLY..finally..I'm going to begin wyrm hunts.

Ah he can't:( the shield debuffs the enemy (-30 percent str) whenever you perfect block or whenever you hit a weak spot with the shield, it's amaazing on bosses, much more survivability for your pawns and you need to use less curatives.

I'm about to enter the part after the second shortcut in bbi 2.0 , I think i'ma get clobbered

Sanctuary

Haven't read every reply to see if this was mentioned; but in case you didn't already know this, Daimon 2.0 is pretty much trivalized with
the use of peripats.
They stack up to four times.
As a MA (still using Dragon's Tempest), I can beat his first form in about 45s and the second before
the next four peripats were off.
Which is under a minute.

Oh, nvm. This was kind of just mentioned above, although it doesn't really specify how fast the fight goes with them. I also wasn't using any lvl 3 gear except armor on my Fighter pawn, who kind of just stood there as I shot Daimon from a distance as he talked. Getting copies of them from The Black Cat also works if you need more.

Any suggestions of what are the best type of pawns to have to accompany my Assassin to take on Daimon 2.0?

Three more archer types. Mages and Sorcerers don't really do anything on that fight. The buff that they might give isn't worth it since they are dead pretty soon anyway, and melee focused pawns just attack away at his feet, not really doing much.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
How many pawns do you reccomend? I just realized I could have more than 2. I don't want to abuse the system, and even with 2 pawns, I feel like I'm leveling up fast.

I'm an expert

Re-hired Cherie for dem updated stats and also grabbed Ariana.

How many pawns do you reccomend? I just realized I could have more than 2. I don't want to abuse the system, and even with 2 pawns, I feel like I'm leveling up fast.

You can hire up to 2. If you're on normal, I'd recommend stickin with a 3 man party for a bit of balance..at least for the story, but you're basically handicappin yourself.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Re-hired Cherie for dem updated stats and also grabbed Ariana.

You can hire up to 2. If you're on normal, I'd recommend stickin with a 3 man party for a bit of balance..at least for the story, but you're basically handicappin yourself.

Actually, if the game is meant to be played with 3 pawns, then I guess I better hire another pawn.

I wish there was a way to teleport to bloodless stockade or the haven right before it, the shortcut puts me so far away from the final part of the dungeon.

Dropped Daimon V1 this morning at L84. Fighting him alone is awesome, reminds me of a Dark Souls fight in the best kind of way. Once again his physical attacks get eaten alive by Masterful Kill, and the magic can be easily avoided if you know what to look for.

Got the Gauntlets of Shadow and a bunch of junk. I want the Hundred Kisses ring so I can try it out. Still no Trophy Boots either. :(

Top Bottom