• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Sanctuary

You gain more experience the less pawns you have. So the game actually becomes much easier sooner, even if it might start out slightly harder in the earlier levels. Eventually having that third pawn won't really make you kill much faster than having two.

I wish there was a way to teleport to bloodless stockade or the haven right before it, the shortcut puts me so far away from the final part of the dungeon.

That run is actually relatively fast as long as you're taking the shortcut that drops you into the sewers from above. The shortcut is at what looks like a dead end with three chests and that bloody/poison water to the right of the chests that pawns love to randomly jump in and die. I never actually timed it, but as long as you run past everything I think you might be able to get there in under 2-3 min.

GorillaJu

Yeah, I was gonna switch to Ranger and do just that but I decided to try one last time with my assassin and somehow did it. Next time I will stock up on blast arrows and Conq periapts and maybe even try going solo and using Autonomy since it's just a short matter of time before they die and or become useless. Then again my main pawn was a Sorcerer and I had two mages.
Any suggestions of what are the best type of pawns to have to accompany my Assassin to take on Daimon 2.0?

Strider, IMO.

You don't need to be a ranger to use blast arrows, actually. Strider and Assassin can use them fine, and both do perfectly good ranged damage.

Corsick

My fighter has some pretty decent BBI gear now, if anyone needs a 77 fighter. Unfortunately only using a carnation right now for his weapon. It's kinda funny how BBI gets so much easier even after beating it once, the only two things I can't do are Death and prisoner gorecyclopses. Anything that takes longer than 20 minutes makes me get impatient.

Sanctuary

My fighter has some pretty decent BBI gear now, if anyone needs a 77 fighter. Unfortunately only using a carnation right now for his weapon. It's kinda funny how BBI gets so much easier even after beating it once, the only two things I can't do are Death and prisoner gorecyclopses. Anything that takes longer than 20 minutes makes me get impatient.

What vocation is your character?

Corsick

What vocation is your character?

Warrior, one of these days I'll do the ankle biting strategy against the cyclops. For now though I'm probably taking a small break. Against death I'm always afraid of committing to any big attack and I can't keep pawns alive.

Warrior, one of these days I'll do the ankle biting strategy against the cyclops. For now though I'm probably taking a small break. Against death I'm always afraid of committing to any big attack and I can't keep pawns alive.

Death has a fixed attack pattern, he does his sweep then nothing for about 15 seconds
it's always the exact same amount of times between sweeps.
The sweep is easy to see coming since the lantern changes color

Also wow, the game just threw 2 fire dragons at me right before the final area... I'm leveling mage vocation and got a mage and sorc with me and a fighter... took forever and I had to pick up my pawns so many times with that lousy pawn killing roar

Sanctuary

Heh, I can imagine how annoying it is for a Warrior against those two. Until I found the ring that upgrades Explosive Rivet, I was never able to kill Death either. He would just run away after missing a few bars. Haven't bothered since the upgrade, since I don't really care about farming a boss that I've already beaten twice.

Also wow, the game just threw 2 fire dragons at me right before the final area... I'm leveling mage vocation and got a mage and sorc with me and a fighter... took forever and I had to pick up my pawns so many times with that lousy pawn killing roar

That's probably the most annoying ability in the game. Pawns can resist that roar if they have enough protection against skill stifling, but good luck getting that kind of gear. Be thankful it wasn't two wyrms though. They seem to cast so much that you almost never have an opportunity to use anything with a cast bar. I just decided to run past them (wyrms) since it wasn't worth the effort and I didn't need anything dragonforged.

maomaoIYP

Been practicing my photo taking skills.
46239610151495769222758.jpg

Arklite

^ Slick. Most shots I take come out grainy/blurry.
Been trying to take some environment shots of BBI like that first pathway with a tree bathed in light from the caved in roof. Too damn grainy.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Blurg. Cutting through everything except Death and Daimon 2 like butter. My fully upgraded Cursed Light and Ice Great Cannon are Everything Killers, but only got Daimon 2 down by three bars before he broke out the Oblivion Portal bullshit and I had waaaaaaaaay too much new item stuff on me weighing me down so I quit out and I'll cheese him some other time.

You don't need to use a bow on Daimon 2.0 as an Assassin. You can Dire Gouge his head (not the head on his chest, his actual head) for the entire fight with some stamina regen items. That's how I did it. Just leap into the air when he tries to do the thing where his body catches fire and then he blows up everything around him.

Took me about 5 minutes.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Might as well chuck in a few from my playthrough, even though they appear jpeg'd to hell:

I have different gear on now from my 2nd trawl, but I was rocking the Lannister look for most of BBI.

Arrived at the Gutter of Misery, and picked up some gear LV1, 2 and 3 plus novelty LV1 and 3 along the way.
I'm way at the beginning but so far no problem I guess, though I ran away from a very very very big guy who broke his chains when I whaled on his head. I did jack s*it for damage and he hit like a truck so adios!

Gettin ready for Dragon's Crown, dawg. Its a pity Dark Souls 2 isn't titled Dragon's Souls really for Dat Trilogy.
Dem Dragon's Games.

Welp someone should have told me in ng+ your pawn is even reset to guardian. Sigh. Switched back to Assassin, Magick Archer is fun but ain't destroying as much as my Assassin did. Maybe with better equipment.

My fighter pawn is getting really beefed up now.
100 percent stagger and knockdown resist
100 percent blind, stifle and sleep resist
20 percent pierce and striking resist
1100+def and 4200 hp
almost 2100str + 1000magic (holy dmg sword)

He basically never dies now, doesn't care how many enemies are on him and with dragon's maw he does pretty high dmg, the debuff from his shield is amazing too

Kind of wish there was some sort of gauntlet mode where the game just throws waves of stupid amounts of increasingly hard enemies at you, just for fun

Is there a skill that works for fighter while climbing an enemy btw? using heavenward slash for all the stinky gargoyles, sirens and baby dragons in bbi2.0 (though he seems terrible at using it :( ) and dragon's maw for uber wtf dmg on weakpoints, but when he starts climbing he has to only autoattack.

Aw, a little baby golem!

I almost feel bad killing it. It's so little!

My new favorite pawn saying is "It's so SMALL! It doesn't stand a chance!" lol, so mean-spirited on the pawn's part. I've had them say this around both vile eyes and mimics (seconds before being exequy'd by said mimics).

Skilletor

I have no monies. What type of things should I be selling and keeping?

I haven't sold a single thing this game other than equipment because I don't know what I need for crafting.

What level are you? everfall is good for money in vanilla and once in BBI gold isn't an issue since upgrading items is free (cursed dragons)

If you go somewhere with a lot of small enemies you can use one of those items that give you wealth (you can buy them from fournier i think, i'm not sure actually)
When you use it every enemy will drop bags of 3-5-10k coins for about 5 minutes

emag

I just wanted to publicly state that Sanctuary's fighter pawn, Caramon, has been very useful throughout my Dark Arisen playthrough. He deals great physical damage (for all those magic resistant enemies that give my party of mages/sorcerers trouble), has the level 3 blink strike for great mobility, draws aggro pretty well, and offers free healing (via immortal armor) to boot. I've swapped him out and back in several times over the last few weeks and have never been disappointed.

So, thanks, Sanctuary and Caramon.

Btw world I told you people would react the way they did if there was ever a thread comparing dd to skyrim:p

You'd think you had insulted their wives or children or something

Skilletor

What level are you? everfall is good for money in vanilla and once in BBI gold isn't an issue since upgrading items is free (cursed dragons)

If you go somewhere with a lot of small enemies you can use one of those items that give you wealth (you can buy them from fournier i think, i'm not sure actually)
When you use it every enemy will drop bags of 3-5-10k coins for about 5 minutes

I'm 67 with super shitty gear.

I haven't beaten everfall yet. Got destroyed when I went and fought some huge chained thing in BBI.

dosh

I have no monies. What type of things should I be selling and keeping?

I haven't sold a single thing this game other than equipment because I don't know what I need for crafting.

I've been selling wakestones at 30.000 each. Probably not the fastest way to make money, but they drop so easily in Everfall that you get tons of them while farming for gear.

Btw I killed 4 Dragons including the Ur-Dragon and I got dragon forged only from Grigori. Am I super unlucky?

Grigori and the online Ur-Dragon are the only dragons that have 100% chance to dragonforge the equipment.

The other dragon types, have a percentage to dragonforge depending on the lvl of your equipment (2% chance to dragonforge with 1 star equipment).

Check the wikia for more specific details.

Sanctuary

I just wanted to publicly state that Sanctuary's fighter pawn, Caramon, has been very useful throughout my Dark Arisen playthrough. He deals great physical damage (for all those magic resistant enemies that give my party of mages/sorcerers trouble), has the level 3 blink strike for great mobility, draws aggro pretty well, and offers free healing (via immortal armor) to boot. I've swapped him out and back in several times over the last few weeks and have never been disappointed.

So, thanks, Sanctuary and Caramon.

Glad someone is getting some use out of him. Maybe it was you (not sure), but I ended up getting roughly 250k RC off of someone recently. I just changed him up a little bit to see if the Cymbal Assault + Dragon's Roost combo (props to SneakyStephan) is worth it in case you want to release him and pick him back up. His armor has changed as well. I dumped the regen for a higher defense. It was pretty neat, but I keep him stocked with curatives anyway now.

I've been selling wakestones at 30.000 each. Probably not the fastest way to make money, but they drop so easily in Everfall that you get tons of them while farming for gear.

I can't think of a quicker way to make money than fighting offline Ur and selling the wakestones he gives you. I can usually kill him in two attempts.

I'm 67 with super shitty gear.

I haven't beaten everfall yet. Got destroyed when I went and fought some huge chained thing in BBI.

If you have suasion (and your pawn has it too perhaps) equip it before you sell wakestones (not shards, make those into stones first) and you get a good amount of gold

You aren't supposed to kill that chained thing till later btw don't worry about it, if you are still the same vocation you were when you killed the final boss in vanilla then you have weaps good enough to start in BBI (or are you on hard mode?)

I made a little guide a few pages back if you want some advice for BBI. (i'll see if i can find it)
edit post 5289 is where I wrote it, it's based on my hard learned lessons and brick wall headbutting in BBI before I knew better

If you feel like you lack the stats to do damage make sure you have clout augment (and maybe vehemence) for physical classes, or the mage equivalent if you are a magic user. it helps SO much
Dragonforge your weapon and if you have the materials try to further forge it at the BBI npc.

@ Sanctuary
what skills do you use on your fighter pawn? I'm always looking for ways to improve my fighter pawn

Man, stopped near an edge to open a chest and two of my pawns just go running right past me and leap into the abyss.

Lol, mine have never done that, i've been surprised at how good the pathfinding has been at keeping them from randomly killing themselves.

Also question again: is there a better weapon for fighters than cursed light? (the lvl 3 one I assume), cursed light is pretty amazing, my fighter has 2073 str and 1244 magic attack (holy) with that sword , using vehemence, clout and acuity

Also are there magic dmg rings? all i seem to find while i'm sorc/mage is magic def ones, not magic ones (like the str ones you find as strider)

Skilletor

If you have suasion (and your pawn has it too perhaps) equip it before you sell wakestones (not shards, make those into stones first) and you get a good amount of gold

You aren't supposed to kill that chained thing till later btw don't worry about it, if you are still the same vocation you were when you killed the final boss in vanilla then you have weaps good enough to start in BBI (or are you on hard mode?)

I made a little guide a few pages back if you want some advice for BBI. (i'll see if i can find it)
edit post 5289 is where I wrote it, it's based on my hard learned lessons and brick wall headbutting in BBI before I knew better

If you feel like you lack the stats to do damage make sure you have clout augment (and maybe vehemence) for physical classes, or the mage equivalent if you are a magic user. it helps SO much
Dragonforge your weapon and if you have the materials try to further forge it at the BBI npc.

@ Sanctuary
what skills do you use on your fighter pawn? I'm always looking for ways to improve my fighter pawn

I've been jumping around vocations to see if there's another I like. I guess I should just stick with sorceror and start a new vocation on hard or NG+.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
My only gripe with this game would be with the terrible saving system.

1. It takes too long to save, and being an ocd saver, this is not a good thing.
2. I've failed a quest because because the giant fled after I killed its brother... To make matters worse, it came back. So I decided to reload, but instead of taking me to my last save which was right after I slayed the first giant, it took me too far back and forced me to take a long walk, and relieved me of my acquired exp.
3. There is no reload function. As great as this game is, you can't save and reappear where you saved. As much crap as I give Skyrim, at least it had the saving right.

Also question again: is there a better weapon for fighters than cursed light? (the lvl 3 one I assume), cursed light is pretty amazing, my fighter has 2073 str and 1244 magic attack (holy) with that sword , using vehemence, clout and acuity

The Cused Bite is also an option. This sword have 1500+ str.

Top Bottom