• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
ok interesting.

I played the shit out of DD (level 150+) but haven't picked up DA yet. I plan on it tho, and was thinking I'd just start on over hard. 1) so it's more of a challenge and 2) because I remember the game getting really easy towards the end. You get so powerful later.

I mentioned it earlier, but hard mode doesn't really stay "hard" for too long. The stamina management/increased damage taken stays consistent throughout, but once your damage output starts going up, you can see that same powerful feeling start creeping up. You still have to be careful and play somewhat defensive, but it would have been nice if they upped enemy hp as well. Still, in my opinion, it's much better than normal mode.

FlyFaster

I mentioned it earlier, but hard mode doesn't really stay "hard" for too long. The stamina management/increased damage taken stays consistent throughout, but once your damage output starts going up, you can see that same powerful feeling start creeping up. You still have to be careful and play somewhat defensive, but it would have been nice if they upped enemy hp as well. Still, in my opinion, it's much better than normal mode.

thanks for fielding my Qs man. I'll be playing on hard when I get it.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
thanks for fielding my Qs man. I'll be playing on hard when I get it.

I tried my best considering I've yet to experience end game. Still, I've played enough of these where I knew about 5 hours in on my normal mode run where this was going lol.

Switched my pawn to fighter after 100+ levels of being a warrior. All that training with clunky greatswords has led to this!

Mostly though I just wasn't finding any BBI warrior weapons.

kaiju

Just speed runs to The Dragon. It's really, really fast if you have the proper portcrystals and know what you're doing. Like...real fast.

Yeah Ok I was going to try to keep a save file right before the dragon and just change vocations but it looks like the main quest can be done
within a half hour
lol, that's insane.

Video here for those curious, beware of spoilers: http://youtu.be/iWsISB_8V88

I don't understand, is that a bug? He goes from the cockatrice to the dragon :/

Have there been any graphics comparisons? RPGamer said there were texture improvements.

I honestly don't even want to beat the game again, the whole end game is so depressing.

Sanctuary

This is so aggravating. I don't even need a better weapon since I already had Daimon on farm status almost 40 levels ago, but I have still not seen a Blackwing. Every other weapon has appeared between six to twenty times and it took me over 100 gears to finally see Ninefold appear on a ring.

Hurray I guess, time to move on to another character since the RNG for level 3 weapons when you don't even need them anymore is idiodic.

phierce

Herp a derp, I feel silly. Guess he used a ferrystone and warped over.
No.
He cut out the trip to Great Wall, the 2 wights fight and the Grigori fight. (You don't have to leave the Great Wall in between those two fights). Hell, I've got start to DF/restart down to well under an hour, and that's just a casual run through.

No.
He cut out the trip to Great Wall, the 2 wights fight and the Grigori fight. (You don't have to leave the Great Wall in between those two fights).

Now I am confused, given that's entirely not what I thought was happening. Can you PM me a quick explanation? Or just spoiler it again I guess.

Edit: Nevermind, I understand what you mean now. My brain is in weird places tonight :D

Dawg

How hard is Dark Arisen on normal compared to the OG game? I'm not really in the mood for Dark Souls difficulty, because I want to finish the xpac asap. I have loads of other games in my backlog and I just want to complete the new content and get my 350 armor/weapon trophy + notice boards.

DC1

This is so aggravating. I don't even need a better weapon since I already had Daimon on farm status almost 40 levels ago, but I have still not seen a Blackwing. Every other weapon has appeared between six to twenty times and it took me over 100 gears to finally see Ninefold appear on a ring.

Hurray I guess, time to move on to another character since the RNG for level 3 weapons when you don't even need them anymore is idiodic.

I had the same problem.
Here's what worked for me after farming Daimon 15 times as a MAPawn Mage with no luck (note that I purified as RangerRanger to maximize chances...again no luck).

What worked for me: I killed Daimon as a Strider with my pawn as a Ranger (my rented pawns were ranger/strider)

Took me two tries (two lvl3 weapons) ; one of them was the Blackwing Bow.

phierce

How hard is Dark Arisen on normal compared to the OG game? I'm not really in the mood for Dark Souls difficulty, because I want to finish the xpac asap. I have loads of other games in my backlog and I just want to complete the new content and get my 350 armor/weapon trophy + notice boards.
It's the same game with an added dungeon that's Everfall 2.0. More difficult, but if all you care about is completing the story once...it's not too hard depending on your level/vocation.

hiryu

What's the best class to get my pawn hired more. I need rift crystals. Right now she is a sorcerer but I can go Ranger or Fighter if it will get her hired more. Do mages get hired more than sorcerers?

phierce

What's the best class to get my pawn hired more. I need rift crystals. Right now she is a sorcerer but I can go Ranger or Fighter if it will get her hired more. Do mages get hired more than sorcerers?
I think if you change your avatar, she might get hired more. No one likes Browns fans.

hahaha joking, buddy

Dawg

It's the same game with an added dungeon that's Everfall 2.0. More difficult, but if all you care about is completing the story once...it's not too hard depending on your level/vocation.

I should be a lvl 68 Mystic Knight... I think.

Corsick

I'm close to just switching to ranger or assassin as I can't even stagger Daimon's second form consistently now. I also HAVE to use strength vigors which lower my defense since I don't have access to fournival. His lightning attacks kill me instantly with them lowering my defense and if he does a lightning attack when I'm just starting my swing animation while I'm on his head it's almost always instant death. You can switch vocations right before purifying items to get the items for that vocation, right? Might as well switch to a better vocation for farming.

phierce

I'm close to just switching to ranger or assassin as I can't even stagger Daimon's second form consistently now. I also HAVE to use strength vigors which lower my defense since I don't have access to fournival. His lightning attacks kill me instantly with them lowering my defense and if he does a lightning attack when I'm just starting my swing animation while I'm on his head it's almost always instant death. You can switch vocations right before purifying items to get the items for that vocation, right? Might as well switch to a better vocation for farming.
So if that's an issue, why not take the time and burn through the game again...it take less than an hour, and that's proving him innocent. 1 hour seems like less of a headache than what you're having now.

Corsick

So if that's an issue, why not take the time and burn through the game again...it take less than an hour, and that's proving him innocent. 1 hour seems like less of a headache than what you're having now.

That's not as much of a problem as not being able to stagger his second form quickly enough. If I could stagger him it wouldnt matter. I'm also thinking ranger could simply be a nice change of pace to freshen up the game a bit.

Woot, done downloading. Not to wait for the PS3 and its absurdly long install to finish.

Still kind of a bummer they didn't add any new trophies, so weird.

Woot, done downloading. Not to wait for the PS3 and its absurdly long install to finish.

Still kind of a bummer they didn't add any new trophies, so weird.

i didn't talk much about it, but i'm still sad they didn't. this could have extended the life of the new dungeon for many people.

also BBI needed more quests. you can burn through them pretty quick. not talking about that idol quest. i won't even attempt that.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Just killed my first Drake tonight. Had fun and was extremely proud of myself considering the circumstances in which he appeared (I had little to no curing items left and I had just lost my 3'rd Pawn not 5 minutes before the Drake showed up) I'll probably never fight one again unless the story demands it though. That was just too grueling a task...

That one fight took well over an hour and a half. The last time it took me more than an hour to beat a boss was Yiazmat in Final Fantasy 12. Which to this day is the longest boss fight I have EVER faced.

You should have seen the look on my face when I switched my options to Status: Party& Enemy(I usually leave it off for immersion) to see what his health looked like after going at it for a solid 45 minutes... the motherfucker only had about HALF his life gone. O__O

Just killed my first Drake tonight. Had fun and was extremely proud of myself considering the circumstances in which he appeared (I had little to no curing items left and I had just lost my 3'rd Pawn not 5 minutes before the Drake showed up) I'll probably never fight one again unless the story demands it though. That was just too grueling a task...

That one fight took well over an hour and a half. The last time it took me more than an hour to beat a boss was Yiazmat in Final Fantasy 12. Which to this day is the longest boss fight I have EVER faced.

You should have seen the look on my face when I switched my options to Status: Party& Enemy(I usually leave it off for immersion) to see what his health looked like after going at it for a solid 45 minutes... the motherfucker only had about HALF his life gone. O__O

What level were you? I ran like hell the first time I ecnountered a drake (lv.20 or so).

Good news!
You'll be fighting plenty of dragons later on.

and i thought my 30-40 min. daimon fight was long :p

Speaking of long fights: decided to Take on the prisoner cyclops. About 45 minutes later I got fucking nothing worthwhile. I need a reliable way to dragonforge things without beating the game over and over. ..

Jesus, it just finished installing. An hour and 24 minutes to install a fucking game. *shakes fist*
PSN is dlynchster for the new page. Give my horrible pawn some love <3

phierce

Watchfulness (the tier 1 assassin augment) is really, really good. At least for my warrior.
Do you get blindsided or caught off guard a lot? Not saying you're wrong, but I have a hard time seeing how that is useful.

Maybe if you're fleeing from a lot of fights?

maomaoIYP

Speaking of long fights: decided to Take on the prisoner cyclops. About 45 minutes later I got fucking nothing worthwhile. I need a reliable way to dragonforge things without beating the game over and over. ..

Dude....cursed dragons DF items that haven't even been upgraded yet. Go to duskmoon tower and pop a rancid meat. Once you kill that one, enter the door that was unlocked using the 1st void key then then exit back to duskmoon tower again, a 2nd free cursed dragon should be there.

Dresden

why is that? seemed useless to me when i read the description.

Do you get blindsided or caught off guard a lot? Not saying you're wrong, but I have a hard time seeing how that is useful.

Maybe if you're fleeing from a lot of fights?

On Hard, I went from getting one-shot by mages to surviving at least one shot while running up to them. Since I have no mobility options other than sprinting, and sprinting automatically sheathes your weapon, it's been excellent so far.

It does feel odd that my best defense is just putting away the weapon, but whatever works!

Dude....cursed dragons DF items that haven't even been upgraded yet. Go to duskmoon tower and pop a rancid meat. Once you kill that one, enter the door that was unlocked using the 1st void key then then exit back to duskmoon tower again, a 2nd free cursed dragon should be there.

I'm going to kinda ignore this as I'm trying to figure stuff out on my own but if I need clarification I'll let you know :)

phierce

You can do the method of damaging a drake (depends where you are game-wise to say which drake, but devilfire grove works either way) down to zero health...fleeing until combat breaks then saving. Kill it and see what gets DF'd...if nothing, reload. Rinse repeat. I've never done this, but it seems a popular method from what I've read...and especially popular post-dragon because of the two drakes positioned on either side of the quarry. Do one, run through, do the other. When satisfied, there's a rest camp at devilfire...rest seven times, rinse, repeat. However, I'd just as soon blaze through to Grigori in 40 minutes and get every piece DF'd in one shot.

phierce

On Hard, I went from getting one-shot by mages to surviving at least one shot while running up to them. Since I have no mobility options other than sprinting, and sprinting automatically sheathes your weapon, it's been excellent so far.

It does feel odd that my best defense is just putting away the weapon, but whatever works!
I see. That makes a lot more sense. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm sure most of you made sure to check the epitaph after you beat Daimon for the first time because you're good boys and girls and know that there's probably some great story-illuminating entries to be found there. For everyone else who's still confused about the story of DA, I suggest you check it out.

Yay, no more heavy metal in the main menu that I have to rush through to avoid!

SMH.

Fortunately us dangan-lovers got some sweet metal riffs in the remixed dragon battle theme.

Ferrio

Banned
So just started the game, you're only given 3 options for classes at the beginning... how long until more options are opened up?

phierce

So just started the game, you're only given 3 options for classes at the beginning... how long until more options are opened up?
Until you progress the story enough to get to Gran Soren. Once there you can change your vocation at the Inn. (Basically after the first main story quest
after beheading the hydra at the encampment
)

Re-organizing all my equipment in New Game Plus is such a pain. Ready for hard mode though, should be fun.

Edit: Is there any way to confirm which quests I did in the last playthough? Did the majority but I missed a few of the ones needed for the Hero.

I killed Daimon v2 using only ninefold bolt and nothing else.
I don't have access to ninefold yet (though I think I saw the ring for it in a "test" purifying session I did not save). However, with sixfold I don't do anything worthwhile...I don't see his HP move at all (it does with single shots because Holy but six/ninefold is Ice). You must have insane magick stats. I only have ~1440 without buffs)

Hope you dont fuck up the UR dragon it took me 3.5 hours to finish the bastard but then again i could have done that in 40 min if i didn't fucked it up it.

Edit:Cool just discovered one of my pawn took up a weapon at my UR dragon fight Violent White staff i already why didn't i get a drop for except wakestones.

Top Bottom