• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Post game spoilers
I am about to go ahead and beat the game for real....lets say I do so and then go to new game...would I have to start over in BBI too?

Eusis

Yeah, the regular shots lock on, but you still have to actually aim the big fat ring until you actually target the enemy with the smaller ring in the middle. You can also kind of snipe with Threefold/Sixfold since you can actually hit enemies at a distance to where it doesn't actually lock on yet.
I have offensive shield skills on mine, but I haven't paid too much attention to see if mine actually uses those well or not. There was one case where mine did (I think) Shield Drum while I was captive by a man eater though... then did Heavenward Lash only to never hit it. The AI's mildly retarded when it comes to BBI in general it seems.
Post game spoilers
I am about to go ahead and beat the game for real....lets say I do so and then go to new game...would I have to start over in BBI too?
Correct.

Kud Dukan

Just picked this up since I've been itching for an RPG to play. Any tips that a new player should know before jumping in? I don't know much about the game apart from a few details, so I'm going in mostly blind.

I have offensive shield skills on mine, but I haven't paid too much attention to see if mine actually uses those well or not. There was one case where mine did (I think) Shield Drum while I was captive by a man eater though... then did Heavenward Lash only to never hit it. The AI's mildly retarded when it comes to BBI in general it seems.

Correct.

This is for new game plus I mean. Not from stratch

phierce

Just picked this up since I've been itching for an RPG to play. Any tips that a new player should know before jumping in? I don't know much about the game apart from a few details, so I'm going in mostly blind.
-If you're OCD about trophies, consult a quest guide or you'll definitely miss at least one trophy.
-Guardian inclination sucks. Avoid it like the plague (both for your pawn and rented pawns).
-Don't be afraid to try different vocations.
-Enjoy the game. Don't rush the story.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Someone made a good post about this a few pages back..yesterday I think?

- The beginning areas/quests are not friendly to new players, but the difficulty evens out eventually. Don't be discouraged and use the difficulty to get accustomed to the combat.

- You can hire up to two pawns in addition to you and your main pawn. Take note of their gear/skills/and inclinations (how they behave in battle) in their menus. It's a lot of information to process, but once you know what to look for it gets quicker.

- Save often as the auto-save function is less than forgiving.

- Day/night matters. Plan your travels accordingly.

- Buying gear from vendors is not only recommended, but basically required. Don't rely on random drops/chests.

Eusis

- Buying gear from vendors is not only recommended, but basically required. Don't rely on random drops/chests.
Well, that's not ENTIRELY true for all areas, but in general if you're not going out of your way you're going to need to depend on at least a mix of quest rewards and shop equipment.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Well, that's not ENTIRELY true for all areas, but in general if you're not going out of your way you're going to need to depend on at least a mix of quest rewards and shop equipment.

Honestly, I didn't even realize that chests respawned/had random loot/could basically be farmed till only a few days ago, and this was after I'd put like 30 hours into this game. Though Amalur uses a similar system..which is probably why I hate it now..

Like I randomly looked up a fire-enchanted mace that can spawn in a chest on a beach. When I visited that beach the first time I got like..leather straps. Why on earth would I think I could get a high level weapon from there if I respawn the chest?!

Found a way around the vortex for MK (that works for any ranged class I suppose)

Put a bunch of mushrooms on your pawns
Stand at absolute maximum possible range, spam go a LOT so your pawns actually stay on him and dont run to you, shoot from max range, as soon as his animation for vortex starts spam come like there is no tomorrow, they'll make it out just far enough to be able to get away or at least stall long enough so they don't get banished, as it's about to end run in and spam go else you lose all the valuable dps time when he is balled up.

I wish the pawns weren't so retarded and knew how to look after themselves

Eusis

Honestly, I didn't even realize that chests respawned/had random loot/could basically be farmed till only a few days ago, and this was after I'd put like 30 hours into this game. Though Amalur uses a similar system..which is probably why I hate it now..

Like I randomly looked up a fire-enchanted mace that can spawn in a chest on a beach. When I visited that beach the first time I got like..leather straps. Why on earth would I think I could get a high level weapon from there if I respawn the chest?!
Well, the end game is very much grind for loot, and it's why you'd run BBI over and over. It's almost like it transforms from Skyrim to Diablo really. I AM kinda surprised at how good it can be in the rest of the game, but I was gifted a pretty good piece of female-only equipment that was a high rate spawn in the catacombs.

EDIT: Come to think of it, probably the best rule of thumb is to make sure to get each chest, when you prepare to gear up see if you have anything that's good to equip (thanks to how Dark Arisen allows you to equip directly from storage this is definitely reasonable enough), and if there's anything you really want and find lacking go ahead and buy it. For a game that's not fully set in stone I think they hit a good middle ground.

I'm an expert

Well, the end game is very much grind for loot, and it's why you'd run BBI over and over. It's almost like it transforms from Skyrim to Diablo really. I AM kinda surprised at how good it can be in the rest of the game, but I was gifted a pretty good piece of female-only equipment that was a high rate spawn in the catacombs.

EDIT: Come to think of it, probably the best rule of thumb is to make sure to get each chest, when you prepare to gear up see if you have anything that's good to equip (thanks to how Dark Arisen allows you to equip directly from storage this is definitely reasonable enough), and if there's anything you really want and find lacking go ahead and buy it.

I get that, but I guess there was nothing in this game that actually told you "hey, btw, chests in this game are basically like mmo chests that can drop greens, blues, or purpz". If it weren't for this thread and the wiki I'd have no idea that chests (not even in the endgame, just the regular game in general) are meant to be farmed. I always wondered why people kept recommending Soulflayer Canyon, it's not because you get loot from quests/bosses there, it's cause you can farm random chests there. Lawl.

I'm an expert

Now the game have fast travel or not like the first?

By the time you finish the wyrm hunt quests you'll have at least 3 portcrystals and ferrystones only cost 2k. I have two of my ports placed and I keep one with me so if I'm in the middle of a quest but want to go back to GS and drop shit off/do whatever, I can do that. So, for me at least, the game has absolutely fine fast travel.

Eusis

I get that, but I guess there was nothing in this game that actually told you "hey, btw, chests in this game are basically like mmo chests that can drop greens, blues, or purpz". If it weren't for this thread and the wiki I'd have no idea that chests (not even in the endgame, just the regular game in general) are meant to be farmed. I always wondered why people kept recommending Soulflayer Canyon, it's not because you get loot from quests/bosses there, it's cause you can farm random chests there. Lawl.
Well, some places you revisit or have to do over, so you should eventually catch on, especially since your pawns are kleptomaniacs and will open all chests signifying it's totally OK to rob a town or city blind.

Now the game have fast travel or not like the first?
It always had fast travel, but this one gives you more portcrystals (portable warp points you can place wherever you want on the world map) in your first run and makes Ferrystones waaay cheaper so it's reasonable to stockpile on a few now. And if you have a save from the original version you get the Eternal Ferrystone and thus can keep fast traveling for free.

I'm an expert

Well, some places you revisit or have to do over, so you should eventually catch on, especially since your pawns are kleptomaniacs and will open all chests signifying it's totally OK to rob a town or city blind.

Aye, I caught on to that early, but not that the chests had predetermined loot tables that could essentially be farmed.

I'm an expert

I'll gladly take it if it's unwanted.

Not that money is that big of an issue, but Fournival actually sells them for 1k (900 if proven innocent).

Right, but he only had 3 at a time while gato negro is always stocked. Also, Fournival just a straight up punk.

Sanctuary

I honestly don't even know what the appeal of Soulflayer Canyon post-game is anyway, since you can get everything it has and more in Everfall. Caxton also sells most, if not all of what can be found in Soulflayer. Also, in case you didn't already know this; the chests are randomized between a set list of 2-10 items each time the game reloads. You just save the game at a chest, open it and if you don't like what you get, Godsbane yourself. It's not worth caring about until post-game though since it takes way too long to go through the main title menu each time. You can get by with just vendor crap until BBI anyway.

I'm an expert

So is there anything special I have to do to pimp my pawn? Like do a checkbox or anything?

Just make sure your connectivity is set to online in the main menu options. I believe the default is offline.

Weird, magic archer can use both grave set and the shadow set

Also you seriously make more money in BBI than you can spend, get 1000s of each curative and still 10 million gold left

They also really should have put more max carry weight on all sets, not just the sorc set...
Why can I carry 70kg as sorc/mage/ma and still be lightweight, but way way less on other classes.

Zukuu

Banned
This is for vanilla DD: HOW TO INSTALL HARD MODE?
Have latest patch and installed the DLC from the PSN store. Still can't select "hard" under options => difficulty.

Do I need a new file?

I'm an expert

This is for vanilla DD: HOW TO INSTALL HARD MODE?
Have latest patch and installed the DLC from the PSN store. Still can't select "hard" under options => difficulty.

Do I need a new file?

If it's like Dark Arisen, it's on the main menu. It can't be done in game cause it requires starting the game from the beginning.

KorrZ

Unless they changed it in Dark Arisen, it doesn't work that way. Perma-enchanted weapons don't actually modify Great Cannon with elemental attributes. The weapon needs to be enchanted first with a spell for GC to be modified with an elemental attribute.

I'm assuming they did, because while it doesn't change the look of GC like it does when normally enchanted, I'm still setting enemies on fire with regular GC just because of my sword.

maomaoIYP

are you playing on xbox? the quality seems pretty good in those shots
Yeah I'm on the xbox. Do the shots on the ps3 have better quality? Mine goes to FB and they're only decent most of the time.

Can someone give me a crash course in mystic knight?

-how does great cannon work exactly (what triggers it except for me hitting it when I should be tanking)
-what does great cannon scale with ? main weapon magic? main weapon str?
-does it get the element from my weapon or my shield?
-what do the riposte skills scale with? str or magic or both?
-any other skills he has worth using?

What augments? General tips and playstyle?
I have the BBI mace, the 1h physical dmg sword and the cursed light (magic stat) sword, whichdo you suggest I play?

When I tank should I be bothering with anything but block and swordskills?

having to constantly rebuff my shield and weapon also drives me insane, so tedious
MK is actually a defensive class. Great cannon can be spammed to great effect, but it's actually kind of boring so I don't actually use it. It's triggered by everything including the enemies' own attacks (including spells).
MK's weapon enchants spells affect the whole party but lasts only 45 seconds, so I let my mage/sorc do it for me. What is great are the shield enchanting spells, which lasts a long time, and have incredible effects. For some reason, and it may be just my imagination, getting perfect blocks with MK feels easier, so I always have a shield enchant on.
Other things I like on my MK is ruinious sigil, sky rapture, full moon slash and abyssal anguish (tears everything to shreds). So that means I tank everything and perfect block retaliations.

I'm an expert

Yeah I'm on the xbox. Do the shots on the ps3 have better quality? Mine goes to FB and they're only decent most of the time.

MK is actually a defensive class. Great cannon can be spammed to great effect, but it's actually kind of boring so I don't actually use it. It's triggered by everything including the enemies' own attacks (including spells).
MK's weapon enchants spells affect the whole party but lasts only 45 seconds, so I let my mage/sorc do it for me. What is great are the shield enchanting spells, which lasts a long time, and have incredible effects. For some reason, and it may be just my imagination, getting perfect blocks with MK feels easier, so I always have a shield enchant on.
Other things I like on my MK is ruinious sigil, sky rapture, full moon slash and abyssal anguish (tears everything to shreds). So that means I tank everything and perfect block retaliations.

Yessssssss.....you're makin me wanna stick with my MK...........

Zukuu

Banned
Seems they have removed the DLC from the european PSN store for the vanilla game. I checked the german, austrian and uk store and searching for "dogma" only leads to buying the full game "Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen".

When searching the US store, I can find all the DLCs available for DD, including the hard mode. However, seems that it is not compatible with a european copy of the game. Screw you capcom, what a crappy move. Seems that I won't bother with the game now, as I don't want to play on easy / normal and certainly won't blow another 30 bucks to buy the game again.

Man, I thought I was so awesome for being able to make it back up to Daimon's back door from the entrance of BBI, but the door doesn't open from that side :(

Farming Daimon is such a pain... having to go through all those rooms over and over and over

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Unless they changed it in Dark Arisen, it doesn't work that way. Perma-enchanted weapons don't actually modify Great Cannon with elemental attributes. The weapon needs to be enchanted first with a spell for GC to be modified with an elemental attribute.

Great Cannon inherits the default elemental effect of the equipped weapon, though it doesn't actually create a color-coded cannon the shots still carry the element. It's easy enough to test: just equip Almace and go out and hit the Saurians in the river north of Gran Soren with a cannon. They'll freeze even though the cannon doesn't display the ice effect.

I'm an expert

Seems they have removed the DLC from the european PSN store for the vanilla game. I checked the german, austrian and uk store and searching for "dogma" only leads to buying the full game "Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen".

When searching the US store, I can find all the DLCs available for DD, including the hard mode. However, seems that it is not compatible with a european copy of the game. Screw you capcom, what a crappy move. Seems that I won't bother with the game now, as I don't want to play on easy / normal and certainly won't blow another 30 bucks to buy the game again.

Why did you buy dlc from a different region than the game's region..? Why didn't you just buy Dark Arisen?

KorrZ

So I finally just "beat" the game after 50 hours.
What is this new world I don't like it everything is crazy. Also, after the entire game with everything weak to fire, now everything is weak to frost instead :lol. Everfall farming time I suppose.

Man, I thought I was so awesome for being able to make it back up to Daimon's back door from the entrance of BBI, but the door doesn't open from that side :(

Farming Daimon is such a pain... having to go through all those rooms over and over and over

i fight stuff and loot chests on the way there. it's not very far if you take the shortcut.

Thanks, well the whole point of going MK was that I'd either no longer need a mage, or no longer need a tank pawn , but without tank you spend all game picking up your pawns (seriously it never ended) and without mage you have to rebuff before you can blink twice.

If MK had taunt I might enjoy the tank style more, but enemies are kind of all over the place... I enjoy tanking as fighter 100x more.

------

Changed my pawn to a female (a sadder looking twin to my main char, creepy but fitting for pawn 'lollore')

Hopefully it gets hired more often now.
The char editor is really good in this game.

You can get to Daimon in under 5 minutes, just run and/or roll by everything.

Zukuu

Banned
Why did you buy dlc from a different region than the game's region..? Why didn't you just buy Dark Arisen?

I bought the game when it was released, played an hour or so, but got very sick (like in "ill", not as in "sick of the game") and stopped playing it. However, I somehow lost interest in playing the game once I got better (maybe I subconsciously connected my illness with the game, dunno) and when I wanted to pick it up again, I heard about the HARD mode dlc and wanted to wait for it.
Then I heard about the DLC and wanted to wait for that as well, but it turned out that the DLC is not available as actual addon but only as stand alone version. So, today I wanted to play the the original game, since that is the version I own, only to run into the problems stated above. I refuse to pay 80€ for this POS, just to get a hard mode and reward cashcom int heir shaddy dealings. As I play all games on max (or close to max) difficulty, I won't even bother with "normal" mode. Breezing through a game is a waste of time to me.

The hard mode dlc is free, so I didn't "buy" anything.

i tried to find it for you via search. you can't find it under dogma for some reason. try Eine Probe für Abenteurer - Herausforderung-Paket - in the german store.

I'm an expert

I bought the game when it was released, played an hour or so, but got very sick (like in "ill", not as in "sick of the game") and stopped playing it. However, I somehow lost interest in playing the game once I got better (maybe I subconsciously connected my illness with the game, dunno) and when I wanted to pick it up again, I heard about the HARD mode dlc and wanted to wait for it.
Then I heard about the DLC and wanted to wait for that as well, but it turned out that the DLC is not available as actual addon but only as stand alone version. So, today I wanted to play the the original game, since that is the version I own, only to run into the problems stated above. I refuse to pay 80€ for this POS, just to get a hard mode and reward cashcom int heir shaddy dealings. As I play all games on max (or close to max) difficulty, I won't even bother with "normal" mode. Breezing through a game is a waste of time to me.

The hard mode dlc is free, so I didn't "buy" anything.

Ah I missed your post where the dlc wasn't available in your region, but the poster above seems to have found sumtin.

Zukuu

Banned
i tried to find it for you via search. you can't find it under dogma for some reason. try Eine Probe für Abenteurer - Herausforderung-Paket - in the german store.
I did. No luck. Neither "probe,"herrausforderung" nor "trial" or "challenge". =/

Did YOU find it?

Top Bottom