• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

maomaoIYP

Thanks, well the whole point of going MK was that I'd either no longer need a mage, or no longer need a tank pawn , but without tank you spend all game picking up your pawns (seriously it never ended) and without mage you have to rebuff before you can blink twice.

If MK had taunt I might enjoy the tank style more, but enemies are kind of all over the place... I enjoy tanking as fighter 100x more.

I still like having a mage when I do MK, because the MK's physical offensive skills are awesome compared to tier 2 magic spells at best. I think it tanks relatively well, you could use vortex sigil to bring all the tiny crap enemies into a single place before blowing them away with a ruinious sigil.

I thing I like most about MK is that it's one of the few truly self sufficient classes, it has magick for ranged options, it can wear the heaviest armor, and it has shields for offense/defense, etc etc. I find it more fun to play solo with MK than assassin.

Eusis

Does this come with a code or anything or is everything I need on the disc?
Everything's on the disc, though on the 360 you have "HD textures" (the textures the game originally had) and the Japanse voice track on the other disc that must be installed by booting that disc and selecting the options.

... I guess it technically holds true calling them HD textures, if you take the stance that the textures by default on the 360 version belong in a Nintendo 64 game.

kaiju

Looking for some advice on how to make my pawn stand out. She's a level 47 Warrior Scather/Utilitarian and was getting some RC love in the early levels but has not received any RC in like 2 weeks now.

Just got the Secret of Metamorphosis in post-game and ready to change my pawn completely. It seems like little girls are all the rage? Pic below (sorry sun in shot):

DragonsDogma_DarkArisenScreenshot_15_zps62e3d8bf.jpg

Or one of my favorites was this goofy looking tall blue mage in the jester outfit. The weirdness stood out to me, maybe it will to others?:

DragonsDogma_DarkArisenScreenshot_18_zpsb6d20362.jpg

My pawn is the one to the far right. This is a mid-level shot but she looks mostly the same:

DragonsDogma_DarkArisenScreenshot_3_zpsa234e4f9.jpg

She's pretty much rolling the blue-hair/elven waif look, which might not appeal to that of a Warrior/Fighter. Thinking of maybe changing up her hair and rolling her up as a Ranger. Or do Mages get all the love?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

@mao I no longer use a mage, I just bring an archer, a tank and a sorc (sorc with holy affinity for those phantoms and ice for everything else)
Another downside of MK is you can't do shit against that metal golem in bbi , no physical ranged dmg to hit that floating crystal with...
The whole daimon fight (and the whole of BBI) is counter to MK design as well: You cant put cannons at range since it's all tiny rooms, so enemies constantly charge past your cannons which means you have to run to the other side of them, daimon forces you to move all the time with LONG lasting aoe so the odds of putting up cannons and getting to use them for full duration are low (so you basically have to periapt him after vortex zzz)

Just tried magic archer again (after it being super weak in everfall), man magic archer is by far the most powerfull class in bbi.

I only have 1900 magic (vs 3000+ of main stat on all other classes) because I don't have a good bow yet, and he absolutely wrecks everthing anyhow.

Found the 9 fold arrow and explosive bomb shot thingy upgrade ring and the dmg with both is insane.

Phase 2 daimon gets about 1 full hp bar per 9fold once he's staggered (and he gets staggered as soon as you shoot the mouth). (meanwhile MK with 3100 str and 4stack magic and 4 stack str periapts with 2 holy cannons took twice as long for each bar, IF he can whack the stupid cannons uninterupted for long enough)
It's also by far the easiest class to interupt the vortex with , annihilators get crapped on by it too, I shot 2 ricochet arrows in the room with 3 cyclopses and some human sorcerers and they were all dead.
Even dragons are super easy since you just shoot an explosive arrow at the heart then melee it with the dagger for a guaranteed knockdown. Flying enemies are easiest with this class as well

Instant reset also makes dagger classes way more fun to play, cancel out of being thrown, cancel out of hundred kisses, cancel out of sprint without having to stop, cancel to let go of a monster way faster than if you press release.

hteng

Banned
ok so I got the limited edition, I redeemed the 12 digit codes for the rings, but when i start a game, i can't find the rings in my inventory? where am i suppose to get them?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Or one of my favorites was this goofy looking tall blue mage in the jester outfit. The weirdness stood out to me, maybe it will to others?:

DragonsDogma_DarkArisenScreenshot_18_zpsb6d20362.jpg

That looks like somebody made a Dhoulmagus pawn.

If you want your pawn to get rented you might want to shift away from Warrior and Fighter. Mage, Sorcerer, and Ranger all seem to get the most rentals in my experience. Make sure you've got good inclinations, good equipment, and good skills equipped so the discriminatin' prospective employer knows your pawn's not deadweight. Great Gamble and Tenfold Flurry are the most important skills for a Ranger, and try to get some combination of Scather/Challenger/Mitigator for inclinations.

I don't think there's any real magic formula for getting pawn rentals, really. Just make your pawn as good as you're able and hope other folks see their appeal. If they pass on your pawn then, well, those other Arisens are probably jerks anyhow.

maomaoIYP

@mao I no longer use a mage, I just bring an archer, a tank and a sorc (sorc with holy affinity for those phantoms and ice for everything else)
Another downside of MK is you can't do shit against that metal golem in bbi , no physical ranged dmg to hit that floating crystal with...
The whole daimon fight (and the whole of BBI) is counter to MK design as well: You cant put cannons at range since it's all tiny rooms, so enemies constantly charge past your cannons which means you have to run to the other side of them, daimon forces you to move all the time with LONG lasting aoe so the odds of putting up cannons and getting to use them for full duration are low (so you basically have to periapt him after vortex zzz)

I beat Daimon v2 last night on hard with an MK with no cannons and no periapts.
First form was getting torn up by perfect lvl 3 holy riposte blocks. I was blocking everything that wasn't a grab or that miasa spell.
Second form was a little harder but the idea remains the same, stay at his feet, perfect holy riposte. I break up the blocks with abyssal anguish enhanced melee.

I didn't have problems going through BBI with an MK (with no cannon once again, I hate it because it's boring). I had lots of fun, perfect holy riposte and perfect dark riposte does most of the work. Perfect dark riposte inflicts torpor on so many things it's quite funny, not even undead or garms are immune. Once torpor sets in, it's basically a win button....

Eusis

Level seems to help too, once I breached into the high level areas I seem to get rentals all the time and have nearly 3 million RC last I checked (may well be 3 million now actually), even after switching my pawn from a female ranger/strider to male fighter. Though next to no one bothers to give more than 3 stars or even gifts anymore, I dunno whether it's because at that point you realize it's all kind of BS or not. I tend to at least give all 5 stars unless something was clearly wrong I noticed and can't be blamed on the game itself and usually gift a Wakestone since that's probably the one reliably useful thing at that point in the game (even if it's easy as fuck to farm.)

If you want your pawn to get rented you might want to shift away from Warrior and Fighter. Mage, Sorcerer, and Ranger all seem to get the most rentals in my experience. Make sure you've got good inclinations, good equipment, and good skills equipped so the discriminatin' prospective employer knows your pawn's not deadweight. Great Gamble and Tenfold Flurry are the most important skills for a Ranger, and try to get some combination of Scather/Challenger/Mitigator for inclinations.

I don't think there's any real magic formula for getting pawn rentals, really. Just make your pawn as good as you're able and hope other folks see their appeal. If they pass on your pawn then, well, those other Arisens are probably jerks anyhow.
I want my pawn to get rented (I desperately need the Rift Crystals!) but I'm very happy with my level 40 fighter, Isgrimnur (Scather/Acquisitor). So far the only gaffer who's given him a run is Vitanimus (many thanks!).

I know if you make a sexy female mage you're probably going to get more hires, but the Dragon's Dogma world needs more badass Norse warriors (little 'w') :)

Eusis

Can you still climb and attack monsters if you're a warrior with a bigass 2hander?
Yes, but Striders seem to be the fastest class for climbing them, and warriors tend to just smash in with the hilt. That was enough to take down a cursed dragon when trying to Dragonforge the Level 3 BBI Warrior sword I got though.

Just beat Grigori.

So what should I do now? I've got Everfall or BBI or something else? I already got a little past the second shortcut opening in BBI but it's getting difficult.

Ferrio

Banned
Yes, but Striders seem to be the fastest class for climbing them, and warriors tend to just smash in with the hilt. That was enough to take down a cursed dragon when trying to Dragonforge the Level 3 BBI Warrior sword I got though.

Feel kinda bad making my pawn the strider now :( Oh well.

Eusis

Probably been asked a million times, but if I were to get this game, should I get the Xbox 360 or PS3 version?
Go by controller preference and whether you'd rather have higher average FPS (Xbox) or no screen tearing (PS3), though it seems this fixed both issues to an extent.

There's also more of a base on PS3 but it sounds like Gold's not required for the online functionality of DD on 360 so that's a non-factor for once.
Feel kinda bad making my pawn the strider now :( Oh well.
You can switch whenever, my pawn's been strider/ranger for the longest time but is now a fighter, and my Arisen was almost the inverse (a lot of time spent as an assassin though), there is something an issue with how stats are but equipment's a far bigger factor for stats.

Is there anywhere I can get Idol of the All-Mother in the second run through BBI?

I remember getting a few in the first run through, but I used them...

Now I need more and I have zero. :(

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Accidentally new game plussed. Not too beat up about it though!

Also got my first level 2 equip from bbi, it was a kinda useless ring (strider class skill bonus for skills not worth switching for). Still, made me happy. BBI still gets scary for me quick, recently got that key... forget it's name, but anyway, I started to struggle going through the door that key opened. Level 50 might be too low.

Go by controller preference and whether you'd rather have higher average FPS (Xbox) or no screen tearing (PS3), though it seems this fixed both issues to an extent.

There's also more of a base on PS3 but it sounds like Gold's not required for the online functionality of DD on 360 so that's a non-factor for once.

You can switch whenever, my pawn's been strider/ranger for the longest time but is now a fighter, and my Arisen was almost the inverse (a lot of time spent as an assassin though), there is something an issue with how stats are but equipment's a far bigger factor for stats.

Jesus, talk about Sophie's choice :(

Eusis

Accidentally new game plussed. Not too beat up about it though!
Honestly you could easily zoom to the end of the game with properly placed portcrystals, my second run through's only taking somewhat long (it'd probably be 20-30 hours by the time I reach the post game again) because I'm bothering with all of the quests, at least the non-noticeboard ones. Managed to get my Trophy for completing the all actually, but I'm kind of curious to see how affinity goes with Aelinore despite giving her the "please hate me" item at the end of the courtyard dialogue.
Jesus, talk about Sophie's choice :(
Hahaha. For whatever it's worth the game still frequently dips below 30 FPS as I recall on 360, so combined with preferring the PS3 controller for this kind of game and I just went with PS3. Did still mull it over and considered double dipping when the $10 sale on Microsoft's site showed up.

jfoul

I got 2x Lambent Shield on Ur-Dragon Gen 234 (Xbox). If anybody wants to trade, let me know. I also have an extra Ascalon.

I beat Daimon v2 last night on hard with an MK with no cannons and no periapts.
First form was getting torn up by perfect lvl 3 holy riposte blocks. I was blocking everything that wasn't a grab or that miasa spell.
Second form was a little harder but the idea remains the same, stay at his feet, perfect holy riposte. I break up the blocks with abyssal anguish enhanced melee.

I didn't have problems going through BBI with an MK (with no cannon once again, I hate it because it's boring). I had lots of fun, perfect holy riposte and perfect dark riposte does most of the work. Perfect dark riposte inflicts torpor on so many things it's quite funny, not even undead or garms are immune. Once torpor sets in, it's basically a win button....

sounds bad-ass.

Is there anywhere I can get Idol of the All-Mother in the second run through BBI?

I remember getting a few in the first run through, but I used them...

Now I need more and I have zero. :(

i think ghost pawns drop them.

Who are these people renting my pawn and using it forever then giving her 3 star ratings and no gifts. Truly the scum of the Earth. Finally got some decent bbi gear. Also took on an elder ogre and super wolf and mauled their shit. It hasnt been easy but so far I'm 3 for 3 in encounters.

Dresden

Felt helpless for the first time during the Wyrmking quest, those rangers in Bluemoon just wrecked my shit before I could even get close. Made it up the stairs once, then got one-shot by an arrow. :(

Think I'll do some side quests, see if additional levels help.

Enjoy it while it lasts. Sorcs are pretty much nothing but Holy Bolt spam in BBI due to never having enough time to cast anything that matters other than the occasional Comestion or Fulmination. They were loads of fun before that though. Probably my favorite class in vanilla.

Holy focused bolt is my bread and butter, but I've been using it because I choose to and not because I have to. With a little clever positioning I've found ample time and space to cast my major spells. Maelstrom shreds gorecyclops and ogres, bolide wrecks living armor, and seism destroys garms quite well. Really I haven't found sorcerers any more spammy than any other class, and I've played them all.

maomaoIYP

Looking for some advice on how to make my pawn stand out. She's a level 47 Warrior Scather/Utilitarian and was getting some RC love in the early levels but has not received any RC in like 2 weeks now.
Just got the Secret of Metamorphosis in post-game and ready to change my pawn completely. It seems like little girls are all the rage? Pic below (sorry sun in shot):

I don't know if little girls are all the rage, but personally I prefer adult-sized female pawns.
Besides a nicely formed face I like putting uncommon pieces of armor (that are sometimes colour coordinated) on my pawn to make her stand out. But not just the silver chestplate with silk lingerie (because way too many wear that). Try the stuff Iola sells (the old woman shopkeeper) in Cassardis, her gear is less commonly used because they tend to be low tier but can look quite good when paired up with other stuff, especially the white cape.

Also try the scale armguard that Reynard sells at the end of his quest line, it's not commonly available elsewhere. (I fucking LOVE asymmetric armor)

Who are these people renting my pawn and using it forever then giving her 3 star ratings and no gifts. Truly the scum of the Earth. Finally got some decent bbi gear. Also took on an elder ogre and super wolf and mauled their shit. It hasnt been easy but so far I'm 3 for 3 in encounters.
I don't think they're doing in on purpose. 3 stars is the default when your pawn dies in their game, and everyone knows pawns drop like flies in BBI.

huh. most people are greatful if somebody hires their pawns. fall down a pit or get sliced by death and there goes that rating/gifting opportunity. it's very common.

So, I've been wanting to play this since it came out, but initially decided to wait for a price-drop, and then Dark Arisen was announced, so naturally I picked it up. Decided to get it on PS3 since I could buy it digitally.

Really enjoying it so far, but can tell I'm already a little overwhelmed. This game is DEEP. I think they could've done a much better job communicating certain things (especially how some quests will be canceled if you accept other quests).

So far, I'm absolutely blown away by the combat, it's really enjoyable and fluid. The large monster fights are awesome, and it's super satisfying when you defeat them. The Pawn system is very cool, despite them talking over each other and too often.

I started with Strider vocation and switched to Assassin when I hit level 12. Probably going to try Mystic Knight or something else as I level up more.

Overall, I'm impressed. Excited to keep playing!

Vitanimus

I want my pawn to get rented (I desperately need the Rift Crystals!) but I'm very happy with my level 40 fighter, Isgrimnur (Scather/Acquisitor). So far the only gaffer who's given him a run is Vitanimus (many thanks!).

I know if you make a sexy female mage you're probably going to get more hires, but the Dragon's Dogma world needs more badass Norse warriors (little 'w') :)

You're welcome! He was very handy and went out of his way to pick up materials which made enhancing a lot easier.

huh. most people are greatful if somebody hires their pawns. fall down a pit or get sliced by death and there goes that rating/gifting opportunity. it's very common.

Derp I had no idea. I only lost one pawn to death so far and I don't think I could have rated her anyways so I never thought anything of it.

Speaking of being grateful for pawns. I found an amazing warrior pawn who I cannot live without. She looks badass, had two dragons bloods so her resists are amazing and is incredibly battle capable. Level 85 pawn named Stella not sure of psn Id. Obviously we all Like to pimp out our own pawns, just figured I would pump someone else's tires. Couldn't recommend her more highly.

Eusis

Well, that explains that. I just thought they were lazy/apathetic, though the RC is the real reward unless you get someone nice enough to gift something like a level 3 cursed weapon.

Or maybe they were sick of not getting the weapons they wanted and offloaded on you, whichever.

Vitanimus

I usually don't give my pawns any gifts because I have nothing worthwhile to give at level 47. But I always give 5-star ratings when there isn't an obvious error with their pawn. Many of GAF's pawns have been super handy.

Got my copy and started as a Fighter this time.

Since I don't have a save on PS3 will I be able to get the unlimited ferrystones another way? The long ass walks to Shadow Fort was one of the main reasons I got bored with vanilla

Eusis

I usually don't give my pawns any gifts because I have nothing worthwhile to give at level 47. But I always give 5-star ratings when there isn't an obvious error with their pawn. Many of GAF's pawns have been super handy.
And frustratingly you can't leave useful feedback. Yeah you gotta keep harassment out, but maybe a few more constructive criticisms? Saying to change inclination, ESPECIALLY if you can specify to gain/drop certain ones would be great, guardian would probably practically vanish then.

You're welcome! He was very handy and went out of his way to pick up materials which made enhancing a lot easier.

Yeah I like the Scather/Acquisitor combo on massive fighter pawns (like Isgrimnur)because they're not only handy in a scrap but also make great pack mules, and Acquisitor saves you the hassle of having to constantly transfer items from your character to the pack mule. They save you the tedious task of smashing boxes, mining ore, etc., it all just happens without you needing to worry about it. And then when enemies rock up they can take care of business as well :)

Eusis

FFS, I gave Aelinore the item to minimize affinity, didn't have my list of females with max affinity go up upon completing her quest chain and without her giving a pink aura, and she STILL showed up at the final battle. I wish there was the asshole option:
sacrifice the love interest, take the duchy, and still kill the dragon.

I made my character taller via the main menu character edit given I play a ranger and was tired of my lantern getting wet. But when I loaded in game she's the same height. What gives?

Edit: Weird, there it went. Almost certain it wasn't there when I loaded, was fatter and shorter. Oh well!

The Gazer fight was pretty brilliant, hope if if a PC version comes out they go crazy and have rooms of three of them :D Similar to No Mercy Mercenaries in Resie 5/6 PC.

Eusis

Yeah, gave two Arisen bonds away and still struck with Aelinore. If I do a third proper play through
I'll deliberately stay around to watch the duke choke her. Save her and get stuck with her, damn.

Chao

Is BBI this hard? I am at level 74 I think and I'm getting my ass handed everytime. Now im fighting this cursed dragon and the fucker takes ages to get killed. I can inflict damage really slowly by hiding somewhere and spamming some ranged attack. Tried sorcerer, mk, and ranger so far against this fucker and no real improvements.

Do I need to level up more or what?

Yeah, gave two Arisen bonds away and still struck with Aelinore. If I do a third proper play through
I'll deliberately stay around to watch the duke choke her. Save her and get stuck with her, damn.

That whole quest line is still like a bizarre fever dream in my head.

aelinore has big priority. avoid her entirely or give the bond to someone else before you meet her.

Eusis

Is BBI this hard? I am at level 74 I think and I'm getting my ass handed everytime. Now im fighting this cursed dragon and the fucker takes ages to get killed. I can inflict damage really slowly by hiding somewhere and spamming some ranged attack. Tried sorcerer, mk, and ranger so far against this fucker and no real improvements.

At that point it's more beneficial to get better equipment.

also try to exploit elemental weakness whenever possible. the fire drake is downright evil with its high hp and resilience.

Naeblish

I think im going back to fighter, or assassin. Really starting to hate my MK, buffing before (and during) every fight is just so fucking boring, why not just make those spells near instant cast. I really don't see the point in those long casting times. The problem is, i'm still walking around with Eden's warden, i have not found a single sword/mace that has some decent magic damage, since 40 hours. And i fear my damage is way to weak in BBI without Abyssal Anguish/enchantment.

Top Bottom