• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

nikos

I have a level 135-ish Ranger pawn with a bow that gives a 5x exp bonus multiplier when she kills stuff. Should help anyone who wants to fly through the levels a bit.

Anyone who wants to use her, send a friend request to me @ wild_whiskey (PS3)

Sent, same name as on here.

So I want to pick this up on PSN after all the good things I've heard, and I have wanted a rpg fix lately.

One question: is this the type of game where you need to keep looking at a guide so you don't miss a series of side quests or to make the correct decisions so that you gain/lose companions (pawns?)? I'd hate having to wait for another play through (whenever that happens, as I like trying to go all in on my first) to get back to content I missed.

Basically, can I complete all the content whenever?

TentPole

So I want to pick this up on PSN after all the good things I've heard, and I have wanted a rpg fix lately.

One question: is this the type of game where you need to keep looking at a guide so you don't miss a series of side quests or to make the correct decisions so that you gain/lose companions (pawns?)? I'd hate having to wait for another play through (whenever that happens, as I like trying to go all in on my first) to get back to content I missed.

There are plenty of quest and gear that are easly missable.

Edit: PSN is live! 12GB

GorillaJu

Lots of missable stuff. But you can breeze through the game on your second or third play through if you wanna catch up on stuff. I tried to make Mercedes my love interest on the second play through but it ended up being a child. Whoops.

Is the basic consensus that the performance between the two versions is the same as before? Either go for tearing or consistently lower framerate?

Kade

So how exactly does the new fast travel work? I loaded a file from when I first had DD and I'm not seeing any differences so far. Still had to ferrystone.

ironcreed

Banned
Hell yes. Fighter's Ring set downloaded and the game is in progress. Nice to have a midnight eastern release for a change on PSN.

I'll downloading it now. In preparation, I'm doing the waiting for a download dance and then the I'm going to bed dance. TFS references aside, is there anything that a newbie should know before I start?

Ok, any word on if you get the bonuses without importing a save? I think I want to start a fresh game, but if starting from a save is the only way to get the new stuff, I'll copy off my save then start a new original game save to import.

Dat screen tearing. Definitely going with the PS3 version but will probably wait for physical tomorrow.

I really wish they had fixed the tearing on 360 or the framerate on ps3. Both are kind of awful, it's really a pick your poison kind of deal. Eventually (depending on your preference) you stop noticing it, but still.

Ok, any word on if you get the bonuses without importing a save? I think I want to start a fresh game, but if starting from a save is the only way to get the new stuff, I'll copy off my save then start a new original game save to import.

I've been wondering this as well. Do you get the prompt saying you have the bonus' after importing your save and starting your old game or does it pop as soon as you start the game and it detects old data?

TentPole

I really wish they had fixed the tearing on 360 or the framerate on ps3. Both are kind of awful, it's really a pick your poison kind of deal. Eventually (depending on your preference) you stop noticing it, but still.

I own both versions of the original game and the tearing was far more noticeable than the difference in frame rate. If it is the same with DA then I would easily recommend the ps3 version.

I don't remember the framerate being bad on the ps3 version. But I'm also not a framerate nazi... and I have a terrible memory.

So basically this post is worthless.

nikos

This stream is somewhat discouraging. I'm going to have to learn so much about the game, which I'm not a big fan of unless I'm dedicated to it. I'm juggling so many games right now.

njean777

I don't remember the framerate being bad on the ps3 version. But I'm also not a framerate nazi... and I have a terrible memory.

I usually do not mind if the game runs at 30fps with slight drops or maybe if some areas drop, but when the whole game is at sub 30fps then it bothers me.

ironcreed

Banned

It was fine for me as well. It never got anywhere close to something like Blight Town in Dark Souls. I also appreciated no screen tearing.

The game on ps3 does have framerate problems but only in places where it doesn't matter.
As long as my battles are fluid , i really don't care.

phierce

i don't want to spark another "trophy or not trophy" debate but according to this :

( from a capcom employee )
there are indeed new trophies for the new stuff

now we'll have to see how it works in a few hours
Not that it will change my mind on getting this as soon as the store opens in the morning, but I am curious about this, especially with all the fuss going around.

Can one of you east coasters confirm this when you get it installed?

Thanks!

I own both versions of the original game and the tearing was far more noticeable than the difference in frame rate. If it is the same with DA then I would easily recommend the ps3 version.

Yeah, in my case, I can eventually get over tearing, but framedrops drive me batty.

The game on ps3 does have framerate problems but only in places where it doesn't matter.
As long as my battles are fluid , i really don't care.

Wasn't the worst of the framedrops in PS3 in battles though?

There are plenty of quest and gear that are easly missable.

Edit: PSN is live! 12GB

As much as I'd love to download it now, that file will take hours to download, and I'll be getting a nice shiny physical copy tomorrow morning! :D

i don't want to spark another "trophy or not trophy" debate but according to this :

( from a capcom employee )
there are indeed new trophies for the new stuff

now we'll have to see how it works in a few hours

This is wonderful to hear.

It is, especially once you have the monster near death and it gets really aggressive. The music takes an awesome shift:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTNfuztCMgM

Oh my god, dat music. Heard it so many times while playing, and it still gives me goosebumps.

Gah, Double post

maelstroms4ena.gif

anddo0

It feels so good jumping back into this world.

Watching the stream gave me the itch. I planned on getting this anyway. I was a little down after reading some details regarding it's length yesterday.. Needless to say I've come around and it's downloading as we speak. I'm off to bed, knowing I'll get to play at some point today.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What's the best way to avoid missing out on gear and quests? Should I just do all my quests in an area before moving on to other objectives?

Definitely not. Consult a wiki to find the missables. The game's quest structure isn't as intuitive as I'd like.

What's the best way to avoid missing out on gear and quests? Should I just do all my quests in an area before moving on to other objectives?
Usually they'll warn you before all your current quests are about to get wiped when you progress in the main quest - the only exception to that being when you complete your first visit to the Everfall. What they don't warn you about are quests that you haven't accepted yet being wiped. The only way to combat that is to travel between all the towns every one in a while. That, or consult a wiki.

You can miss stuff but the game keeps looping after you beat it (and on the NG+ you get stuff that makes the game more of a toybox by being able to set down many portcrystals easily for fast travel). I would recommend playing it blind without a guide, and then on subsequent playthroughs using a guide if you want to see all of the stuff.

Skilletor

I just figured out you can charge your spells up. The bandits stand no chance.

Just beat some random dude named Kent right outside of the big city. Was STUPID hard. I had to spam healing items to stay alive.

I love the feel of adventure in this game. So. Good.

I'm still debating which version to get :/ I tried the original on xbox for a bit but damn was that screen tearing bad even when I set it to 720p(was a bit better)

After watching that stream of DA though, wow it is horrible. I might just go with the PS3 version but I'm worried about all the framerate issues I keep hearing about

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54760740&postcount=189

So how exactly does the new fast travel work? I loaded a file from when I first had DD and I'm not seeing any differences so far. Still had to ferrystone.
If you had an original Dragon's Dogma save, you should get a Ferrystone that doesn't expire with use (i.e. it's limitless). The other changes they made were to add an entire Portcrystal network.

In the original there was one fixed Portcrystal (Gran Soren) and one portable one. Now there are two fixed Portcrystals (Gran Soren and Cassardis) and four portable ones (early Gran Soren Everfall, the Shadowfort, the Witchwood, and Hillfigure Knoll).

Still no word on this, despite the fact that many people have it and would be very easy to test :(

Wasn't the worst of the framedrops in PS3 in battles though?
It was in towns.

Read the things I linked to earleir in this post, and in general make sure you've taken and completed all noticeboard quests from all noticeboards (worldwide) prior to doing main story missions. Note that this doesn't apply to the generic "find X examples of flower Y" or "kill X number of enemy type Y" quests, those don't seem to expire.

So I went back and played the PS3 demo of Dogma Vanilla. Man that PS3 framerate is way lower. Like 5 frames on average. I'll take my screen tearing gladly, then.

Top Bottom