• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

And I plan on finishing every quest anyway so I probably will see them at one point ^^
I'm just a bit pissed I won't be getting In Aid of the Emerald King IV just because I did not go to BBI before the Flameservant's Throne in Everfall disappeared >_<
Can you tell me a bit more about this Emerald King quest? I was only planning to visit BBI after defeating Grigori, but if that will automatically fail one of the BBI quests then I might have to adjust my plans.

This is pretty much everything I remember about enchantments from when peeps were testing damage formulas and such last year:

- A character armed with an unenchanted, physical damage-only weapon deals purely physical damage with basic attacks, regardless of class. Their damage formula is essentially ((Character's Physical Attack) + (Weapon's Physical Attack)).

- A character armed with a permanently-enchanted weapon deals physical damage and also deals magical damage of the element of the weapon. Their damage formula is essentially ((Character's Physical Attack) + (Weapon's Physical Attack) + (Character's Magic Attack) + (Weapon's Magic Attack)).

- A weapon that is enchanted by a spell like a Boon or Affinity spell deals physical damage as well as magical damage of the element of the spell. Affinity level spells also add a percentage damage bonus based on the wielder's (not the caster's) magic stat.

- If a permanently-enchanted weapon is enchanted by a spell, the spell takes priority. If you're wielding a holy-elemental sword like Ascalon and a Mage pawn casts Fire Affinity on you, your sword is now fire elemental for the duration of the spell. All holy damage is lost, and your attacks are now 100% physical+fire.

- It's virtually always preferable to equip permanently-enchanted weapons since it gives you your character's Magic Attack as essentially a free bonus. In a hypothetical situation in which you're choosing between, say, a sword with 500 physical damage or a sword with 250 physical damage and 250 magical damage the enchanted weapon will do more damage in the vast majority of cases. There are some edge cases to this rule, and comparisons are never that direct, but as a default assumption enchanted weapons are typically stronger than their unenchanted counterparts.

- Individual skills can have their own damage formulas which operate independently of the equipped weapon. For example, Mystic Knight's Great Cannon uses about a 40/60 Physical/Magical damage split regardless of what you're wielding. This is probably what the person on the wiki was talking about.

That's most of what I can recall. I think I had 8 points in mind when I started this post but after 6 I can't seem to remember any more, so I'm just going to hope that what I managed to dredge up is enough to answer your questions.

Thanks for the post very informative. Im going to probably grab my Ascslon and upgrade it to level 3. I was wondering why it was doing less damage but I realised I hadn't updated it lol. I actually picked up the level 3 enchanting band for MK so I figure I can use Ascalon and if I ever need fire or dark enchant I'll keep them around. Can't wait to get it gold Dragon forged.

Sanctuary

Well that is the point of sorc that you have to choose your time to cast, spamming holy bolt defeats the point of playing.

I agree with this statement 100%, which is why I don't like playing the class in BBI. It takes much longer to setup something big. Spamming bolts makes it so that the only difference between playing a Sorcerer and Mage is that you don't heal, and your staves up your magick attack a bit more. Hurrah.

You are able to be much more offensive and practically use most anything you want prior to BBI, because you have the space to do so. Sitting back and casting stuff doesn't bother me. Waiting much too long for the right moment does. By the time you actually have that perfect moment to start your cast, you could have killed one of the tougher enemies with another class. I had a field day in vanilla with the class, and it just seems like Capcom decided to give the lesser played hybrids a place to shine (which I think is good, but not at the sake of the other classes).

As I said I was double sorc , I just piggy back off their cast while a dragon is knocked down.

I haven't been using another Sorcerer for any of my runs, although I did quite a bit in vanilla. The reason I don't is because it's pretty hard to find a pawn with the spells that I want. The high versions just don't cut it, and that's all they typically have. You really need to try doing it without a second Sorcerer to see what I'm talking about. I don't doubt that you had success having two in the group, but it's pretty lame if it's just you. I had been considering dropping the Mage I've been using, but I'm trying to give some RC to someone who gave my Fighter a truckload.

And yes they'll tailswipe you or take a swing at you when you get in range, but if you aren't in range they ignore you until your pawns die or you aggro them.
bolide isn't a 15second spell either unless you insist on casting the grand version btw.. Grand bolide is only good against knocked down enemies/safe times, a normal bolide cast is maybe 8seconds (wyrm king's ring and the castspeed increase), less if you leech off another sorc.

Normal Bolide might work (solo), but the High version definitely doesn't and that is at least 15s with the ring and augment. Wasn't thinking about Grand, and I would probably never cast that anyway.

At high levels all classes become spammy if you choose to play that way. Not sure why sanctuary is singling out sorcerer from the rest.

Because using Holy Bolt all day is not the same as actually casting spells. I know what you mean about classes using their "best" abilities over and over again, but I don't have to play that way with the MA. I actually use all three bow skills with an almost, but not quite even distribution and I also use melee often. That's a lot more than just using Sixfold for everything. It basically feels like the variety of the Sorcerer class gets unceremonously stripped away.

kaiju

Pro tip for noobs, when in a town area look for the notice boards, Im lvl 40 and must have missed like 30 quests lol.
Just found a load of them today, no idea how I ran past them hehe.

There's a board at the Cassardis Inn, the Gran Soren Inn, Alehouse and Pawn Guild, and one at the Encampment.

I haven't been using another Sorcerer for any of my runs, although I did quite a bit in vanilla. The reason I don't is because it's pretty hard to find a pawn with the spells that I want. The high versions just don't cut it, and that's all they typically have. You really need to try doing it without a second Sorcerer to see what I'm talking about. I don't doubt that you had success having two in the group, but it's pretty lame if it's just you. I had been considering dropping the Mage I've been using, but I'm trying to give some RC to someone who gave my Fighter a truckload.

Why don't you make your main pawn a sorcerer then?

Sanctuary

Because he has 140 levels of Fighter, and I use him as my best distraction? I had honestly thought about doing that sometime anyway just to see if he had any more survivability with the health he had gained, but his base magick attack is something like 209. Even with a gold level 3 staff, I don't know if it would even be worth it since his strength is 3100 with a Devil's Bane. I never claimed that I was having difficulty killing anything when I switch to a Sorcerer, it's just not any fun right now.

It's probably not that easy to have 2 caster sets and 2 decent sorc staves to use in BBI unless you've already farmed daimon to tears.
I only got one decent staff by the time I was at the second shortcut

@ sanctuary, the 200-300 magic you miss (less compared to lower lvl chars that can clear bbi fine too) is negligable if you have a good weapon (IF :p )
I leveled almost exclusively as a mix of assassin, fighter, warrior and ranger (maybe 30 levels out of 180 as sorc,mage and MA) and dmg is still huge with magic archer for me with 1900 magic (crappy tier 2 weapon and no magic stat or rings)

My fighter pawn currently has nearly 3400 str but he'd work ok as sorc.
I might make him sorc again for laughs, 1100def sorc with 5000 hp would be pretty funny, at least he wouldn't die.

Sanctuary

It's probably not that easy to have 2 caster sets and 2 decent sorc staves to use in BBI unless you've already farmed daimon to tears.
I only got one decent staff by the time I was at the second shortcut

Heh, getting the proper gear isn't an issue. I've gone through three sets of Carrion and seen that stupid staff at least ten times by now. I just don't want to have to go and dragonforge all of that crap too since I already did it with the Fighter's gear.
How does your Fighter have 3400 str anyway? Mine is at 3112 and he's level 140. Another 60 levels will only give him 60 more attack. Did you level him as a Warrior mostly? Are you using rings that give 75+ str?

Heh, getting the proper gear isn't an issue. I've gone through three sets of Carrion and seen that stupid staff at least ten times by now. I just don't want to have to go and dragonforge all of that crap too since I already did it with the Fighter's gear.

To be fair dfing a full set takes less than 5 minutes after you equip it.
Run to the first stratum, kill the ember dragon,use meat, kill cursed dragon , leave through the voidkey door, reenter, kill another cursed dragon.
That should see all your stuff dfed.

If that didn't do it you can go through the second shortcut, go back one room to the lich with dragon pet and there's another 2 minute kill , I'm fairly sure you can also use the meat in that room.

Gold and mats should be coming out of your ears if you farmed daimon.

Because he has 140 levels of Fighter, and I use him as my best distraction? I had honestly thought about doing that sometime anyway just to see if he had any more survivability with the health he had gained, but his base magick attack is something like 209. Even with a gold level 3 staff, I don't know if it would even be worth it since his strength is 3100 with a Devil's Bane. I never claimed that I was having difficulty killing anything when I switch to a Sorcerer, it's just not any fun right now.

So I'm confused then. Do you prioritize having an optimal team, or having fun yourself while you are playing? If you prioritize having an optimal team you would want to leave your pawn as-is, but if you were prioritizing having fun then wouldn't the ability to increase your viable spell selection as a Sorcerer be worth the (perhaps sizable) hit to efficiency you would take by switching your main pawn to Sorcerer? If you're not having trouble killing things it seems like taking a hit to efficiency should be fine. I mean considering you're already uber geared out, and considering the relative importance in combat of pawns versus your main character, an inexperienced Sorcerer main pawn, an experienced hired Fighter and and experienced hired Ranger or whatever else you use seems like a fair tradeoff.

Yeah I haven't tried ranger. I'm not a fan of striders/rangers or using items so I haven't stocked up on blast arrows. In addition, my sorc stun locks daimon all the time as well, so it's really my go to class if I'm farming him.

Who said anything about Blast Arrows? :p

Using Bloodlust/Autonomy and only 3 Conqueror's Periapts (1 for 1st form, 2 for 2nd), Daimon is dead in less than a minute at best, and a minute and a half at worst.

Who said anything about Blast Arrows? :p

Using Bloodlust/Autonomy and only 3 Conqueror's Periapts (1 for 1st form, 2 for 2nd), Daimon is dead in less than a minute at best, and a minute and a half at worst.

Yeah, no blast arrows, tier 2 longbow and 4 periapts is already massive overkill (a minute or less), with the tier 3 one and stacking bloodlust and autonomy on top he must die in seconds.

Yeah, no blast arrows, tier 2 longbow and 4 periapts is already massive overkill (a minute or less), with the tier 3 one and stacking bloodlust and autonomy on top he must die in seconds.

I only use the 2 periapts because I kind of feel sorry for him if I use 4... kind of.

"... Man. What a base and trifling creatu--"

*dies*

I'm sorry... what was that?

What level do you guys recommend I be at when I approach BBI on hard mode? And then, BBI 2.0 on hard mode?

Also, what happens when you defeat Grigori with already dragonforged equipment. Does it become dragonforged...again x 2 or something?

How do you get the DD save data bonuses on a new Dark Arisen game?

I don't own vanilla DD any longer, but I do still have a save, but I'm not getting the bonuses apparently when starting a new game in DA.

Sanctuary

Trying to kill death as a Sorcerer is lol inducing. You can't even take off a half of a bar before he wipes out your party in the sewers. I have 3600 magick attack and Comestion and Bolide barely scratch him. I was hoping that he was gone for good after I killed him with my MA, but nope. They just decided to keep an annoying (see: not fun) enemy in to pester you.

What level do you guys recommend I be at when I approach BBI on hard mode? And then, BBI 2.0 on hard mode?

Also, what happens when you defeat Grigori with already dragonforged equipment. Does it become dragonforged...again x 2 or something?

Maybe around lvl70 or so? I don't know, I started BBI at lvl200 on Normal; someone else could give you a better estimate.

Nothing happens to already dragonforged items.

phierce

How do you get the DD save data bonuses on a new Dark Arisen game?

I don't own vanilla DD any longer, but I do still have a save, but I'm not getting the bonuses apparently when starting a new game in DA.
You have to load your vanilla DD save to get the bonuses. Starting a fresh file won't work.

Dresden

My sorceror went in at level 60 on Hard, was fine for the most part. You level so fast you'll hit level 100+ in no time, anyways.

phierce

For those who know...what's the name of the T3 Mage staff?

Also, since so many ask about progression in BBI (as in questions like: I am here how much further do I have to go?), this may help. The path in BBI is linear, but this shows zone order, at least. (and yeah...I didn't write this, just happened to see it)

1f means first floor
1fb means first floor underground

Starting point: Bitterblack Isle
- North leads to Garden of Ignominy (2F)
- East shortcut leads to Corridor of Emptiness (East)
- West shortcut leads to Corridor of the Hallowed (East)
- Upper West shortcut is one way only back from final boss room.

Garden of Ignominy
- 2F leads to Bitterblack Isle (North)
- 1FB leads to Duskmoon Tower (3F South)

Duskmoon Tower
- 3F South leads to Garden of Ignominy (1FB)
- 3F North leads to Rotunda of Dread (Dead End)
- 1F East leads to Ward of Regret <--> Midnight Helix (Dead End)
- 1F North leads to Vault of Defiled Truth (1F Southeast)

Vault of Defiled Truth
- 1F Southeast leads to Duskmoon Tower (1F North)
- 1F North leads to Gutter of Misery (2F Southeast)

Gutter of Misery
- 2F Southeast leads to Vault of Defiled Truth (1F North)
- 2F West leads to Warriors' Respite (Dead End)
- 1FB leads to Shrine of Futile Truths (2F)

Shrine of Futile Truths
- 2F leads to Gutter of Misery (1FB)
- 1F leads to Corridor of Emptiness (South)

Corridor of Emptiness
- South leads to Shrine of Futile Truths (1F)
- East is a 2-way shortcut to BBI main after opening it from this side
- Northwest leads to Fortress of Remembrance (1F)

Fortress of Remembrance
- 1F Southeast leads to Corridor of Emptiness (Northwest)
- 1F West leads to Pilgrim's Gauntlet (Dead End)
- 2FB leads to The Black Abbey (Dead End)
- 4FB leads to Tower of Treasons Repaid (4F)

Tower of Treasons Repaid
- 4F leads to Fortress of Remembrance (4FB)
- 1F leads to the Forsaken Cathedral (4F)

The Forsaken Cathedral
- 4F leads to Tower of Treasons Repaid (1F)
- 1F leads to Corridor of the Hallowed (South)

Corridor of the Hallowed
- South leads to the Forsaken Cathedral (1F)
- East is a 2-way shortcut to BBI main after opening it from this side
- Northwest leads to the Rotwood Depository (1F Southeast)

Rotwood Depository
- 1F Southeast leads to Corridor of the Hallowed (Northwest)
- 1F Northwest leads to the Forgotten Hall (1F)

The Forgotten Hall
- 1F leads to the Rotwood Depository (1F Northwest)
- 1FB leads to The Bloodless Stockade (3F Southeast)

The Bloodless Stockade
- 3F Southeast leads to the Forgotten Hall (1FB)
- 3F South leads to the Arisen's Refuge (Dead End)
- 1FB leads to the Sparyard of Scant Mercy (South)

The Sparyard of Scant Mercy
- South leads to the Bloodless Stockade (1FB)
- West leads to The Fallen City (southeast)

The Fallen City
- Southeast leads to The Sparyard of Scant Mercy
- Northwest leads to the Bitterblack Sanctum (BOSS, one way exit to BBI Main upper west shortcut)

Edit: Fuck Yeah!! Go Bruins!! Now I can play more BBI.

maomaoIYP

Trying to kill death as a Sorcerer is lol inducing. You can't even take off a half of a bar before he wipes out your party in the sewers. I have 3600 magick attack and Comestion and Bolide barely scratch him. I was hoping that he was gone for good after I killed him with my MA, but nope. They just decided to keep an annoying (see: not fun) enemy in to pester you.

I have no problem killing him with lesser magick and only Bolide.

Can you tell me a bit more about this Emerald King quest? I was only planning to visit BBI after defeating Grigori, but if that will automatically fail one of the BBI quests then I might have to adjust my plans.

It's a notice board quest that asks you to kill a Silver Knight and a Gold Knight in the Everfall, but they spawn at the Flameservant's Throne (where the Portcrystal was in).
The wiki says the availability is thus between Lure of the Abyss and the first Wyrm Hunt quests.

At least the reward is only a pair of Trophy Bracers so the only harm done is the one at my feelings.

Without chugging demon's periapts that seems to be the easiest way of doing it, IMO. Bolide wrecks his shit, much more so if you've got a sorcerer pawn dual-casting with you.

I'm sure holy focused bolt could probably break his damage threshold with enough periapts but meh.

It's a notice board quest that asks you to kill a Silver Knight and a Gold Knight in the Everfall, but they spawn at the Flameservant's Throne (where the Portcrystal was in).
The wiki says the availability is thus between Lure of the Abyss and the first Wyrm Hunt quests.

At least the reward is only a pair of Trophy Bracers so the only harm done is the one at my feelings.

Hrmm, I'll just save that for NG+.

maomaoIYP

Without chugging demon's periapts that seems to be the easiest way of doing it, IMO. Bolide wrecks his shit, much more so if you've got a sorcerer pawn dual-casting with you.

I'm sure holy focused bolt could probably break his damage threshold with enough periapts but meh.
Holy f bolt is great for knocking him down though, letting you set up a higher lvl bolide.

man...I'm bummed Capcom is basically making you re-buy the game, but I'll get it if players can finally play together instead of just pawn swiping.

So do we have true co-op in this one?

Eusis

man...I'm bummed Capcom is basically making you re-buy the game, but I'll get it if players can finally play together instead of just pawn swiping.

Uhhh, no, that'd require a massive reworking especially with skills that slow down time.

Got my first platinum EVER with this! But it helps that only two trophies could be considered out of the way of what I normally would want to do: gifting 50 items, and to a lesser extent beating the game again (mainly because I'd rather stick with post-game access, THOUGH AFTER GETTING SADDLED WITH AELINORE AGAIN I AM RECONSIDERING THIS), and the latter can actually be done via the Speedrun instead of beating with your save and getting stuck at the beginning again. And since I'd want to do some quests to ensure the world's in a state I'd want IE opened up Catacombs and cleaned out mines. Anyways, my time was 41:44, probably would've turned out better if I remembered where everything was in Shadowfort, didn't waste time specifically to blow off Aelinore, moved one of my portcrystals, and kept the Maker's Finger on me which I meant to use on the Dragon... only for my main pawn to somehow get knocked out and out of range forcing me to use Conqueror's Periapts I had and take a bit longer. Still good for a first run though, actually kind of disappointing that far as I can tell there's no leaderboard letting you track how you did against others.

did the upload to the pawn community help to get hired? i forgot who tried this.

it's a single player game.

haikira

can I buy ferrystones from anybody?

Yup, there's a place in Gran Soren that sells them for 2K.

EDIT: It's at the Black Cat. If you're playing the original Dragon's Dogma, they're 20k. But they're 2k in Dark Arisen.

676A0095.jpg

Sanctuary

Congrats, although your vagueness doesn't really say much of anything. Bolide also tends to miss 2-3 out of four meteors in the sewers.

Thought I'd just point the area out again in case you were thinking about how easy he was in open areas.

I'm sure holy focused bolt could probably break his damage threshold with enough periapts but meh..

It doesn't phase him without them, and I'm not about to waste them on him when he simply runs away every few health bars until the final time that he appears with one or two left.

Eusis

Just make a good looking female Pawn and give her a porn star name, you will gets lots of Rift Crystals.
Somehow I'm still getting a lot of hits, but then I was (relatively) conservative with how I dressed my female pawn after the gifted gear became obsolete. Mainly just showing thighs, but I mostly kept the same gear even after redesigning my Arisen as her (and vice versa) so I'll just throw pictures of the two up later.

maomaoIYP

Congrats, although your vagueness doesn't really say much of anything. Bolide also tends to miss 2-3 out of four meteors in the sewers.

Thought I'd just point the area out again in case you were thinking about how easy he was in open areas.

It doesn't phase him without them, and I'm not about to waste them on him when he simply runs away every few health bars until the final time that he appears with one or two left.

And neither does your negativity. I've fought him everywhere, it works fine and I can kill him fine. Especially since a single hit from bolide clears off half a life bar I don't know what else you're expecting. I never use periapts and I can knock him down with holy f bolt as well, so maybe it's a user issue.

Arklite

Ran into a room with two Wyrms in BBI, somewhere after Forgotten Hall. Holy shit. Had no real chance with all of that spell casting so I had to run past after a few attempts. Last time I ran into that room it had two drakes and Death. Sometimes the game just hates the player.

Thanks to levitate..I am totally sequence breaking....I met the Dragonfroged before even getting to the main city...lol

Interesting, didn't know you could skip with that move.

Regarding pure physical vs. perma-enchanted weapons, I personally never found much use for enchanted weapons on a pure strength build. For example, I did way more damage with a pair of Bardiche Daggers than I did with Kunai/Galvanic Razors/Scalding Razors. I haven't gotten Sapfire Daggers yet but I can say with pretty much no doubt in my mind that Framae Blades (which I do have) destroy them on every level with a strength based Assassin.

The only time enchanted daggers seem better is on high magic characters or if an enemy gets messed up really badly by a particular element. Whereas a high enough strength level just rips through everything.

Arklite

I haven't gotten Sapfire Daggers yet but I can say with pretty much no doubt in my mind that Framae Blades (which I do have) destroy them on every level with a strength based Assassin.

Seems to be the case for my builds as well. I haven't dragonforged either Sapfire or Helmbarte, but the latter has been a lot more effective for me even against element vulnerable targets. However, the cursed light sword has worked pretty well.

Dresden

My warrior was doing swimmingly on hard until he ran into a cursed dragon . . . managed to land a hit on (or at least near) the heart with Arc of Deliverance and bam, one life bar.

>.>

Having combat roll would be so huge for this class. I guess at least my pawn managed to find a Grand Fulmination/Seism ring.

Ferrio

Banned
So I finally managed to get enough money for a longsword. Switched to warrior class... then realized I was still 5k shy. So after selling quite a few possessions I was able to buy the 21k longsword so I wouldn't be weaponless. Walk away from the vendor... equip it. Decide to try out a skill... and immediately cleave an NPC in two (which I had no idea you could do)... and a guard right next to him throws my ass in jail. My last 1k gold on me... gone to spring myself outta jail. Son of a bitch.

Also... how smart are npcs with special moves? I notice striker has tons of moves that involve jumping and what not... but I haven't invested in any cause I get the suspicion that they wouldn't take advantage of it. If I so... I might have to eventually go striker class. Also.. is there anyway to make a pawn favor their primary or secondary more? I'm mostly investing in dagger skills on her so far.. so I'd hate for her just to sit back shooting arrows.

zoukka

I just want to pop in and say that this game if fantastic. The sense of exploration is there, the loot is goddamn fine, you can actually platform your way over doors (!) and the combat/enemies are stellar. Fucking jackpot Capcom.

I will not spend time in this thread, because spoilers and too much info will surely spoil a game like this. See you once I've finished the Dragon part. So far I've played about 15 hours and I've yet to even se out from the first encampment!

So I finally managed to get enough money for a longsword. Switched to warrior class... then realized I was still 5k shy. So after selling quite a few possessions I was able to buy the 21k longsword so I wouldn't be weaponless. Walk away from the vendor... equip it. Decide to try out a skill... and immediately cleave an NPC in two (which I had no idea you could do)... and a guard right next to him throws my ass in jail. My last 1k gold on me... gone to spring myself outta jail. Son of a bitch.

Also... how smart are npcs with special moves? I notice striker has tons of moves that involve jumping and what not... but I haven't invested in any cause I get the suspicion that they wouldn't take advantage of it. If I so... I might have to eventually go striker class. Also.. is there anyway to make a pawn favor their primary or secondary more? I'm mostly investing in dagger skills on her so far.. so I'd hate for her just to sit back shooting arrows.

you have to equip what you want and see what works out for you. watch your pawn fight and avoid guardian inclination. you're not forced to fill every slot. one special attack will work if that's what you want. strider is more melee focused, at least for my pawn....

Ferrio

Banned
you have to equip what you want and see what works out for you. watch your pawn fight and avoid guardian inclination. you're not forced to fill every slot. one special attack will work if that's what you want. strider is more melee focused, at least for my pawn....

Guardian inclination?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This is pretty much everything I remember about enchantments from when peeps were testing damage formulas and such last year:

- A character armed with an unenchanted, physical damage-only weapon deals purely physical damage with basic attacks, regardless of class. Their damage formula is essentially ((Character's Physical Attack) + (Weapon's Physical Attack)).

- A character armed with a permanently-enchanted weapon deals physical damage and also deals magical damage of the element of the weapon. Their damage formula is essentially ((Character's Physical Attack) + (Weapon's Physical Attack) + (Character's Magic Attack) + (Weapon's Magic Attack)).

- A weapon that is enchanted by a spell like a Boon or Affinity spell deals physical damage as well as magical damage of the element of the spell. Affinity level spells also add a percentage damage bonus based on the wielder's (not the caster's) magic stat.

- If a permanently-enchanted weapon is enchanted by a spell, the spell takes priority. If you're wielding a holy-elemental sword like Ascalon and a Mage pawn casts Fire Affinity on you, your sword is now fire elemental for the duration of the spell. All holy damage is lost, and your attacks are now 100% physical+fire.

- It's virtually always preferable to equip permanently-enchanted weapons since it gives you your character's Magic Attack as essentially a free bonus. In a hypothetical situation in which you're choosing between, say, a sword with 500 physical damage or a sword with 250 physical damage and 250 magical damage the enchanted weapon will do more damage in the vast majority of cases. There are some edge cases to this rule, and comparisons are never that direct, but as a default assumption enchanted weapons are typically stronger than their unenchanted counterparts.

- Individual skills can have their own damage formulas which operate independently of the equipped weapon. For example, Mystic Knight's Great Cannon uses about a 40/60 Physical/Magical damage split regardless of what you're wielding. This is probably what the person on the wiki was talking about.

That's most of what I can recall. I think I had 8 points in mind when I started this post but after 6 I can't seem to remember any more, so I'm just going to hope that what I managed to dredge up is enough to answer your questions.

I thought that, with the same attack/strength value, using enchanted weapons with element A against foes strong against element A will result in less damage compared to using non-element weapons against the same foes?

This is from my general observation using ice-enchanted weapons against undead enemies, for example. Same weapon, same strength, but even with the added value from Magic stat, using ice-affinitied weapons actually kill them longer than the non-enchanted version.

Recall

Only just got Dark Arisen, where is the incredible main menu theme that was in the original Dragons Dogma? It was amazing and its gone? Sad face

Top Bottom