• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Trying to kill death as a Sorcerer is lol inducing. You can't even take off a half of a bar before he wipes out your party in the sewers. I have 3600 magick attack and Comestion and Bolide barely scratch him. I was hoping that he was gone for good after I killed him with my MA, but nope. They just decided to keep an annoying (see: not fun) enemy in to pester you.

Yes they should have put death in an optional room, he isn't interesting or fun to fight (lamest boss in the game, everything about him in the trailers and previews was just false advertising) and all he does is make you have to flee every time he shows up or you get to go through the tedious process of resummoning and giving curatives to your pawns again (+the poor guy you hired from gets another 3 star rating, so thanks for nothing for him :\ )

@ recall, as a DA peasant I had to go see what the big deal was about in vanilla with the song and are you serious.
It's like some HORRIBLE B list anime song, like nails to a chalkboard to me (and the new theme song does my head in also if I leave it on the main menu for too long, but the vanilla one, wow)

Recall

@ recall, as a DA peasant I had to go see what the big deal was about in vanilla with the song and are you serious.
It's like some HORRIBLE B list anime song, like nails to a chalkboard to me (and the new theme song does my head in also if I leave it on the main menu for too long, but the vanilla one, wow)

I liked it as it helped keep Dragons Dogma as still a very Japanese game, told you it's roots and I have no problem with j-pop. yeah it might grate on some but I found it energetic and quite stirring, sometimes a change from the norm high fantasy music is quite welcome. I do like the new theme and can agree it does fit the theme of the game.

Gameplay question, do the enemies scale to your level as I'm fighting these tentacle monsters underground and doing no damage at all.

I liked it as it helped keep Dragons Dogma as still a very Japanese game, told you it's roots and I have no problem with j-pop. yeah it might grate on some but I found it energetic and quite stirring, sometimes a change from the norm high fantasy music is quite welcome. I do like the new theme and can agree it does fit the theme of the game.

Gameplay question, do the enemies scale to your level as I'm fighting these tentacle monsters underground and doing no damage at all.

If you're referring to the ones in the Everfall, they infinitely respawn.

What enemies? Where?:p
Daimon 2 down. Got fed up of tedious Assassin runs without all my best gear, so just went back to Mystic Knight, ate some peripats, and clung to his top head and just wailed
Why didn't you just do that on assassin to begin with?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Daimon 2 down. Got fed up of tedious Assassin runs without all my best gear, so just went back to Mystic Knight, ate some peripats, and clung to his top head and just wailed. Down you go bitch. Yeah thats right, give me Devil's Bane too. You idiot stomach head. Oh and all the stuff to fully upgrade it? Why thank you.

Now only thing left in the game I haven't killed yet is Death and thats because it feels boring.

Also this game lacking Dangan at any point, not even as a Daimon 2 track is a BIG MINUS. Was like when SF4 post versions came without Indestructible. You need that hype sometimes. That hype beyond hype.

Dis fucken Title Screen poops on Dark Arisen genero choir.

maomaoIYP

I bought the new Bitterblack armor pack DLC.
3 head pieces, 3 chest armors, 1 arm armor
head pieces:
tiara of enlightenment - olra's wearing it
ruminator's monocle - it's a fucking monocle LOL
jester's cap - the thing feste put on your head, but in a different color
chest armors:
robe of enlightenment - olra's wearing it
wavering cloth - it's the thing that the dude from daimon is wearing
vagabond armor - brown version of the emissary armor
arm armor:
the lion's spine - asymmetric arm armor, looks fucking badass, probably the best piece in the pack

So I'm a classaholic I love trying new classes but I don't really have any decent weapons for bbi except a sword and staff. I'm on a new game plus but I haven't done hardly any of the story yet. Should I continue to farm bbi for new weapons or should I go through the main story line.

Really looking for bows daggers and two handed weapons

creid

Just started playing this last night and I'm re-hooked after not touching DD for a year. I got to a tower area in BBI and came across a
chained up monster (cyclops maybe?)
. I went around him and looted everything. They kept playing exciting music like I should've been in a boss fight, and his life bar popped up a couple times, but he never
broke free or attacked or anything
. Is this an optional fight? Is there any reward?

Also, when is the first difficulty spike in BBI? I'm only level 61, but I didn't have much trouble with the
Hydra boss
and I was expecting to get whooped due to my low level.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I thought that, with the same attack/strength value, using enchanted weapons with element A against foes strong against element A will result in less damage compared to using non-element weapons against the same foes?

This is from my general observation using ice-enchanted weapons against undead enemies, for example. Same weapon, same strength, but even with the added value from Magic stat, using ice-affinitied weapons actually kill them longer than the non-enchanted version.

If the enemy is resistant or immune to the elemental effect of your weapon the magic damage gets either reduced or nullified, in which case the pure physical weapon's higher attack power will usually do more damage. If, say, you're bonking a Metal Golem's bits with a sword for some unfathomable reason then using a Carnation instead of an Ascalon will do more damage on account of the magical component of the Ascalon's damage is doing bupkis and the Carnation has a higher physical attack power.

If you've got a perma-enchanted weapon that the enemy you're fighting is strong against and a pawn enchants your weapon with an element they're weak against you're effectively better off than you would be with a pure physical weapon because the full magical damage of the weapon is now converted to the element that deals extra damage to them.

So, for example, you're in the Catacombs and you're equipped with an un-upgraded Almace. It has a Phys/Magic attack power split of 161/244. Since it's ice elemental when you hit a skeleton most of that 244 magical attack power is squandered by their elemental resistance. If a pawn then casts Holy Affinity on you all of Almace's 244 magical attack power is now not only fully effective against them, it's actually amplified by their weakness to Holy.

Regarding pure physical vs. perma-enchanted weapons, I personally never found much use for enchanted weapons on a pure strength build. For example, I did way more damage with a pair of Bardiche Daggers than I did with Kunai/Galvanic Razors/Scalding Razors. I haven't gotten Sapfire Daggers yet but I can say with pretty much no doubt in my mind that Framae Blades (which I do have) destroy them on every level with a strength based Assassin.

The only time enchanted daggers seem better is on high magic characters or if an enemy gets messed up really badly by a particular element. Whereas a high enough strength level just rips through everything.

Min-maxed Assassin builds were the main exception to the enchanted weapon preference as I recall. Especially since Assassin builds pretty much always use (or used, not sure how much people have changed their playstyle with the nerf) Autonomy and can't take advantage of having pawns change the element of the magical damage component at will. Autonomy Assassin builds were best off just eschewing magical damage altogether and building physical damage to heaven, Babel-style.

Dave1988

head pieces:
chest armors:
arm armor:
the lion's spine - asymmetric arm armor, looks fucking badass, probably the best piece in the pack

How does it stack up stat-wise to BBI gear?

maomaoIYP

How does it stack up stat-wise to BBI gear?

They don't compare at all to lvl 3 BBI gear at all.
I haven't gold forged all of them yet though. The ones that I have are only about as good as 2nd tier Everfall items.
I'm not expecting them to compare with BBI gear...

kaiju

Has anyone purchased the Character Edit Options Pack from Olra?

Curious to know what kind of options are added.

Yes they should have put death in an optional room, he isn't interesting or fun to fight (lamest boss in the game, everything about him in the trailers and previews was just false advertising) and all he does is make you have to flee every time he shows up or you get to go through the tedious process of resummoning and giving curatives to your pawns again (+the poor guy you hired from gets another 3 star rating, so thanks for nothing for him :\ )

I agree that the worst thing about death is the fact that he takes pawns that you otherwise would have given 5-star ratings and throws them away with 3-stars and no gift. I then feel like I have to rent that pawn again just to give them the rating I intended so the owner doesn't think I'm an asshole that throws away pawns when I'm done with them. This wouldn't be as big an issue if I didn't use so many GAF pawns.

Rest assured that if you ever got your pawn back from me with 3 stars, death got to them before I could release them.

head pieces:
chest armors:
arm armor:

Where did you find these? I can't find the DA DLC anywhere on PSN and I've looked a couple times. Do you have to buy them from Olra?

Foxix Von

When I booted up the game today on the news page it mentioned DLC available. I picked it up from Olra.

I haven't purchased anything, and more than likely never will, but as far as I can tell Olra is the only way to purchase DA DLC. Which is very weird.

At least it's the only way I could find to download the free pack that let's me see new DLC stuff on other player's pawns.

I haven't purchased anything, and more than likely never will, but as far as I can tell Olra is the only way to purchase DA DLC. Which is very weird.

At least it's the only way I could find to download the free pack that let's me see new DLC stuff on other player's pawns.

Gotcha. Thought it was odd they were advertising DLC I couldn't find in the store anywhere.

And what exactly does that free pack do? It always sounded kind of vague to me.

Ferrio

Banned
So I'm guessing as a lower level the chances of your pawn being hired is very very low?

When are you notified that your pawn has been hired?

Anyone who is a lower level ps3 user want some BBI Skill rings? I've got some i can shoot your way.

Level 3 shield strike
Level 3 cutting wind
Level 3 thunder riposte
and more

i also have twilight manicae which is a nice piece for an assassin or ranger. Shoot me a pm here or on ps3 and ill equip your pawn to take it back with them.

creid

Gotcha. Thought it was odd they were advertising DLC I couldn't find in the store anywhere.

And what exactly does that free pack do? It always sounded kind of vague to me.
Without the free pack, you can't see DLC customizations that other people have made to their pawn.

Without the free pack, you can't see DLC customizations that other people have made to their pawn.

Like if you downloaded the hair pack that has Olra's hair in it, people wouldn't be able to see it without that free pack? Does that count with the DLC equipment, too?

So I'm guessing as a lower level the chances of your pawn being hired is very very low?

When are you notified that your pawn has been hired?

It'll be low until you outlevel all the inactive vanilla pawns(lvl 55-60 perhaps)
You have pretty much no need for RC before that though.

Dreamer RD

Didn't knew that BBI monsters evolve after Daimon kill. What a nice surprise. Are they going to be even stronger in 3rd playthrough?

Foxix Von

Does the
giant evil eye
ever respawn?

I didn't get a chance to loot his corpse before they disappeared and I need one of its drops =/

BeeDog

Didn't knew that BBI monsters evolve after Daimon kill. What a nice surprise. Are they going to be even stronger in 3rd playthrough?

They don't evolve. It's only the enemy placement that gets (much) harder.

Does the
giant evil eye
ever respawn?

I didn't get a chance to loot his corpse before they disappeared and I need one of its drops =/

Yep, you can fight it again and again.

BeeDog

Thanks! Any idea how long it takes? I've rested at an inn now for longer than a week and he still hasn't showed up again.

I honestly don't know what triggers it to respawn, since every time I've visited that chamber it has been there. Maybe you need to kill the final BBI boss? Either way, you'll be able to fight it again somehow, it's not a one-off. :)

jmro

I just started Dragon's Dogma (about 2 hours in). Is it worth the new changes in Dark Arisen to upgrade, or should I wait until I complete the initial campaign and get it on the cheap later.

Maledict

Ridiculous question - how do you rate pawns you have used? I presume I can give gifts by just leaving items in the pawns inventory (or equipping the pawn with the item) but no idea how to actually give someone a rating for their pawn.

I'm Voidhawk66 onthe 360 if anyone wants to borrow my poor level 20 support Mage pawn. He seems to buff and heal a lot!

haikira

I just started Dragon's Dogma (about 2 hours in). Is it worth the new changes in Dark Arisen to upgrade, or should I wait until I complete the initial campaign and get it on the cheap later.

The stones that'll allow you to fast travel cost 2k now, rather than 20k. Which is more convenient. Though i believe if you move your file over from the original game to dark arisen, you'll actually get infinite? I can't personally confirm it, as i started with DA. Though someone can back me up.

I think there were some minor tweaks to the menu systems too.

EDIT: I think as Deified Data points out, it's probably not likely to get much cheaper any time soon. I'd say if it's convenient, buy it now. Though if you wait until you finish the vanilla campaign, it's not a big difference.

Get it cheap later if you can, though by the time you're done with the vanilla campaign it'll probably still be $40.

Ridiculous question - how do you rate pawns you have used? I presume I can give gifts by just leaving items in the pawns inventory (or equipping the pawn with the item) but no idea how to actually give someone a rating for their pawn.

I'm Voidhawk66 onthe 360 if anyone wants to borrow my poor level 20 support Mage pawn. He seems to buff and heal a lot!

The game asks you to rate them and gift them before you release them at a rift stone, but if they're a old vanilla pawn with a crossed-out giftbox icon next to their name you can't do either of those thing.

dosh

Only just got Dark Arisen, where is the incredible main menu theme that was in the original Dragons Dogma? It was amazing and its gone? Sad face

So I'm not the only one.

The stones that'll allow you to fast travel cost 2k now, rather than 20k. Which is more convenient. Though i believe if you move your file over from the original game to dark arisen, you'll actually get infinite? I can't personally confirm it, as i started with DA. Though someone can back me up.

If you move your old DD save to Dark Arisen, the game indeed gives you an Eternal Ferrystone, whoch is really useful. You also get some outfits and 100.000 RC points (useful to buy inclination potions).

Dinda

God i love this game, it was probably my favourite game of 2012 and i'm now absolutely hooked again with Dark Arisen.

But the AI of the pawns really drives me crazy, i spent so much time looking for pawns with spells and attack patterns that are to my liking but they really never do as i would like them to.

They really should add a deep customization feature for the behaviour of the pawns, I'm thinking of something like the Gambit System in Final Fantasy XII, that would really add to the game.

Finals are done, hopped back on for the first time in over a week. As expected, giving my pawn (modeled after my wife) the trophy jacket and cursed king's belt (as in, nothing under the trophy jacket) made her dramatically more popular. I feel dirty.

Sera O

Banned
Craaaaaaaap.

Alright. Thanks =/ I really wish boss loot stuck around longer.

Agreed - it is sometimes hard to spot stuff, especially if you are fighting more than one thing in a huge boss room. Having a melee scather/acquisitor pawn definitely has perks in this situation. They were right there and prioritized grabbing that stuff so I didn't miss as much.

It's kind of annoying to have to inch my character around inside a huge, slowly decaying corpse to see if any item indicator showed up on the screen. Even harder when it's Ur Dragon and the corpse just stays there while I try to wander around picking stuff up in its ribcage.

So gaffers, if I've rented your pawn and it comes back with a 3 star rating, I'm sorry - I was making my way through bitterblack last night and encountered death. I tried to rehire and put my five stars through, but now that I think about it I probably need to do that twice to begin to neutralize the crappy three star. Ugh. I was wondering why mine kept coming back with nothing and 3 stars and now I know (but she may just be painfully average! possible). Just 'cause death swooped in doesn't mean I didn't like the pawn, damn it.

drbond

Neo Member
Thanks! Any idea how long it takes? I've rested at an inn now for longer than a week and he still hasn't showed up again.

If Daimon 2.0 is anything like bosses from Everfall, he 'SHOULD' respawn in 7 in-game days. I've already killed him once in 2.0 form, slept over a week at least, and I just ran to see if he was back in his thrown room...and yea he was there. Not sure exactly how many times though. I'll check later to make sure.

Btw...kudos to Capcom for allowing people to give away the Cursed Armor pieces as gifts (which the pawn owner can use to purify and be awarded an epic item). Beats being awarded rocks, carrots, and wakestones like in vanilla DD.

I'm still dying to see vids of people trying to take on the hard mode mob rooms for BBI's Hard Mode (not just the bosses, but the normal mobs that fill the chamber rooms). During my initial killing of Daimon 2.0 hard mode version, I just skipped some of the mobs. I tried to clear them, but some of the final rooms [amplified in hard mode, with the 1-2 shot deaths that can/will happen from some of these dudes] have completely unbalanced, untested, and unfair combination of monsters (harder than any boss fight in the game).

Even for a level 200 with dragonforged items, how is it fair to have you simultaneously fight 3-4 Eliminators AND 2 purple drakes (the drakes that stun you instantly, casting a lightning bolt onto your head...instantly setting you up for a 1-shot death via Eliminator fatality [insta death because the moron AI pawns will already be dead, and prevent your analog-waggle death]). The door leading to Daimon 2.0 was especially hilarious, being blocked by 3-4 giant knight ghost dudes (with 2-3 drakes, if you didn't already kill them somehow). Hope you brought some wakestones in order to kill these guys (me...I just ran from them, toward the next areas' door like a coward). Haha!

Alucrid

Banned
If Daimon 2.0 is anything like bosses from Everfall, he 'SHOULD' respawn in 7 in-game days. I've already killed him once in 2.0, slept over a week at least, and I just ran to see if he was back in his thrown room...and yea he was there. Not sure exactly how many times though. I'll check later to make sure.

Btw...kudos to Capcom for allowing people to give away the Cursed Armor pieces as gifts (which the pawn owner can use to purify and be awarded an epic item). Beats being awarded rocks, carrots, and wakestones like in vanilla DD.

I'm still dying to see vids of people trying to take on the hard mode mob rooms for BBI's Hard Mode (not just the bosses, but the normal mobs that fill the chamber rooms). During my initial killing of Daimon 2.0 hard mode version, I just skipped some of the mobs. I tried to clear them, but some of the final rooms [amplified in hard mode] have completely unbalanced, untested, and unfair combination of monsters (harder than any boss fight in the game).

Even for a level 200 with dragonforged items, how is it fair to have you simultaneously fight 3-4 Eliminators AND 2 purple drakes (the drakes that stun you instantly, casting a lightning bolt onto your head...instantly setting you up for a 1-shot death via Eliminator fatality [insta death because the moron AI pawns will already be dead, and prevent your analog-waggle death]). The door leading to Daimon 2.0 was especially hilarious, being blocked by 3-4 giant knight ghost dudes (with 2-3 drakes, if you didn't already kill them somehow). Hope you brought some wakestones in order to kill these guys (me...I just ran from them, toward the next areas' door like a coward). Haha!

err i usually killed him, left, slept, ran back, killed him again. never had to wait 7 days.

If Daimon 2.0 is anything like bosses from Everfall, he 'SHOULD' respawn in 7 in-game days.[/spoiler]

Pretty sure he spawns if you sleep for one day, I think 3 days for the chests

And speaking of waggle, that is one thing the game should have done without, such a shitty mechanic.

drbond

Neo Member

And speaking of waggle, that is one thing the game should have done without, such a shitty mechanic.

Chests respawned every time I killed him, never had empty ones.

Good to know. Thanks for the info guys.

And yes...I agree SneakyStephan. Waggle mechanic is the worst addition to this game.

I'll be farming Daimon 2.0 more frequently in the next playthrough, on normal mode. In hard mode, he's a definite challenge (and definately more fun to fight, using all those heavily stocked wakestones, liquid vims, and kingwarrish)...but definately not worth the effort.
You aren't awarded special drops/costumes like beating the vanilla game on hard mode....let alone get any achievments or trophies for the game....seeing as Capcom never bothered to make any new ones for Dark Arisen. Such a waste.

Furio53

I just started playing DD and have been pretty blown away. Should I just get this instead? or should I just continue til I beat it then pick this up?

Chests respawned every time I killed him, never had empty ones.

You don't have to sleep at all for him to respawn; kill him, run right back, and kill him again.

The chests in the Sanctum respawn every time you fight him, but the ones in the 5 areas before the Sanctum take 3 days to respawn.

phierce

I just started playing DD and have been pretty blown away. Should I just get this instead? or should I just continue til I beat it then pick this up?

Unless you're strapped for funds, I'd say go ahead and buy it.

You don't have to sleep at all for him to respawn; kill him, run right back, and kill him again.

You're saying lifestone out, shortcut back and he's there? Or exit through the one way door and re-run BBI? (the latter is how I've been doing it...)

Top Bottom