• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I have one with dire gouge and something else. I got it by purifying as fighter/fighter. You'll get a mix of items though, from fighter to warrior to MK to assassin.

I bet it's the powder barrage and i want that so bad. I saw that the powder charge was the other sword assassin skill that got upgraded and decided to start trying it during a daimon run and I honestly can't believe I have played so many hours without using it all. It's incredibly usefull against dragons as you can stagger any dragon with one blast.. even the fire drakes. Setting the explosive and then instantly stabbing the ground to surround yourself with an explosion works amazingly well. Ice Drakes lose like one whole bar if you position the charge well.

I love having all my skills be pure assassin ... the only thing i just can't live without is Blink strike. I want to see how much larger the powder blast gets with the rings added but i can't find any examples on youtube to save my life.

maomaoIYP

I bet it's the powder barrage and i want that so bad. I saw that the powder charge was the other sword assassin skill that got upgraded and decided to start trying it during a daimon run and I honestly can't believe I have played so many hours without using it all. It's incredibly usefull against dragons as you can stagger any dragon with one blast.. even the fire drakes. Setting the explosive and then instantly stabbing the ground to surround yourself with an explosion works amazingly well. Ice Drakes lose like one whole bar if you position the charge well.

I love having all my skills be pure assassin ... the only thing i just can't live without is Blink strike. I want to see how much larger the powder blast gets with the rings added but i can't find any examples on youtube to save my life.

Farming lvl 3 gear items is considerably easy, you get them often in chests isn't it? It'll just be a matter of time until you get one.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Thanks for the link, I'll scan through it a bit before playing today.
I bought everything I could from Caxton and upgraded them to level 3 ages ago :) The Black Cat is way too expensive for only marginally better (or sometimes worse) equipment.

Yeah, unless you get lucky and come across a chest with something good, you're gonna be relying on vendors around the world. Again, I only finally came across one that sold slightly different stuff than GS, and he's located far, far northwest. I think the good weapons don't start rolling in till mid-end game when the inventories actually get upgraded in GS, but I won't say more to avoid spoiling.

phierce

How are you guys buying Demon's Periapts from Fournival post-game? The guards attack you and everyone runs away - Fournival is nowhere to be seen and I spared him in the trial and everything.

He walks to and hangs out at the black cat just like he used to. It just takes him longer to get there now for some reason...usually around mid-day.

How are you guys buying Demon's Periapts from Fournival post-game? The guards attack you and everyone runs away - Fournival is nowhere to be seen and I spared him in the trial and everything.

i don't think it's possible. you have to start NG+ for that. or wait, he does roam? totally forgot about that.

Eusis

He walks to and hangs out at the black cat just like he used to. It just takes him longer to get there now for some reason...usually around mid-day.
You can sometimes catch him on the way there right after waking up, but I'm getting around that simply by never completing "warm welcome", you can get around the guards nagging about completing the quest for the most part... or just
kill them since there's no real penalty anymore.

phierce

You can sometimes catch him on the way there right after waking up, but I'm getting around that simply by never completing "warm welcome", you can get around the guards nagging about completing the quest for the most part... or just
kill them since there's no real penalty anymore.

Yup, that works too. That's what I started doing after the first few playthoughs.

Okay, looks like he travels from his house to the Black Cat every afternoon. Pain in the ass to get to him, so I loaded up while I could.

Finally got Bitter End gold dragon forged for my pawn. That knockdown power is devastating...

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Farming lvl 3 gear items is considerably easy, you get them often in chests isn't it? It'll just be a matter of time until you get one.

I've been looking for a good guide for where every chest is. To my knowledge it's best to take the 2nd shortcut and then go for the specific chests that drop gear... but i don't know that I'm hitting all of them (Forgotten city for example.. i know there is one there but i'm not sure which of the 3/4 chests it is...)

I'll get it soon .. and then set some mothofockas on fiya.

Okay, looks like he travels from his house to the Black Cat every afternoon. Pain in the ass to get to him, so I loaded up while I could.

Finally got Bitter End gold dragon forged for my pawn. That knockdown power is devastating...

make sure they have the impact aug on along with one of the master rings with stagger bonuses (found one with +60) and they will be knocking wargs around like puppies

phierce

Awesome...time to release her and re-enlist lol

She should have a shit ton of RCs for ya.

Edit: Anyone need lv.2 weapons? Think I have 6-8 unpurified.

Awesome...time to release her and re-enlist lol

She should have a shit ton of RCs for ya.

Cali has fought through at least a dozen dragons, half dozen living armors, a shit ton of garms and gorecyclopes, and Daimon 2.0, so you should expect the same. "'Tis a prodigious load!"

make sure they have the impact aug on along with one of the master rings with stagger bonuses (found one with +60) and they will be knocking wargs around like puppies

Yeah, her knockdown is optimized for what I have, but the best knockdown ring I have is a piddly +19 so I'll keep looking.

Eusis

I switched my pawn to Warrior ultimately, partially because it was the one non-Strider/Assassin level 3 weapon that was gold dragonforged, though I have some mage-type level 3 weapons.

Man, I'm remembering how frustrating BBI is on a second run at the end! Though this time I thought maybe I could OD on Peripats and curbstomp everything there... actually, I probably could have, but it'd require getting the stomptrain together THEN going with those and blast arrows on fivefold.

In terms of pawns (both main and hired) dying or being dismissed, what happens to items/equipment they're carrying? Is it possible for stuff to be lost, or will it all go back to storage?

Man, I'm remembering how frustrating BBI is on a second run at the end! Though this time I thought maybe I could OD on Peripats and curbstomp everything there... actually, I probably could have, but it'd require getting the stomptrain together THEN going with those and blast arrows on fivefold.

I did a non-stop run through the third stratum 2.0 once just to prove that I could.

I probably won't be doing it again, at least not on this playthrough.

creid

I could really use some. Spent about a half an hour killing an optional
dragon
, and now that I'm required to fight one with a
flying sorcerer
I think I'm gonna have a bad time :(

phierce

I could really use some. Spent about a half an hour killing an optional
dragon
, and now that I'm required to fight one with a
flying sorcerer
I think I'm gonna have a bad time :(

If you're PS3, send me a message...I'll gladly give you some.

I'm a total sorcerer newbie, please halp

I just got a lot of the bigger spells, Bolide and the like. What's the strategy for charging these things up without get staggered? There are so few enemies where I have enough time to get them off (cyclops are a good one) or it'd just be faster to kill everything with faster spells. Under what circumstances/enemies should I be using these big spells?

maomaoIYP

I've been looking for a good guide for where every chest is. To my knowledge it's best to take the 2nd shortcut and then go for the specific chests that drop gear... but i don't know that I'm hitting all of them (Forgotten city for example.. i know there is one there but i'm not sure which of the 3/4 chests it is...)
I think there are only two lvl 3 cursed armor chests (besides Daimon's), but lvl 3 cursed gear chests are literally everywhere in BBI. For example from the 2nd shortcut, in the room with two chained gorecyclops, run towards the exit and climb up the broken section. One of the chests there pretty much gives lvl 3 cursed gear 100% of the time.

I just got a lot of the bigger spells, Bolide and the like. What's the strategy for changing these things up without get staggered? There are so few enemies where I have enough time to get them off (cyclops are a good one) or it'd just be faster to kill everything with faster spells. Under what circumstances/enemies should I be using these big spells?

You can: 1) start casting from behind cover (like a tree or around a corner), 2) start casting when enemies are distracted by your tank pawns, 3) start casting from slightly beyond range for the spells that allow you to walk when the spell is charged.

In addition take the gravitas augment and equip an orge's bone (+16% stun/stagger resist) or DF-ed hellfire cloak/blasphemy cloak/sovereign's mantel (+16% stun/stagger resist). Full DF-ed grave/carrion set + orge bone + one of those cloaks will give 100% stun/stagger.

I don't bother using them against small enemies. I primarily use them against big ones.

I think there are only two lvl 3 cursed armor chests (besides Daimon's), but lvl 3 cursed gear chests are literally everywhere in BBI. For example from the 2nd shortcut, in the room with two chained gorecyclops, run towards the exit and climb up the broken section. One of the chests there pretty much gives lvl 3 cursed gear 100% of the time.

And the one next to it can give a lvl3 Novelty.

In the Sparyard of Whatever, the arena with the 2 dragons, the 2 chests directly opposite of where you enter give a lvl3 Gear and Novelty, but it can be pretty difficult to open them with 2 dragons on your ass and/or casting spells constantly.

Got Ascalon silver Dragon forged. So retardedly good for now. Also the cursed dragons are annoying v as fuck. My character is tall but it's nigh impossible to connect v with his heart on even footing. Ultimately I got almost everything Dragon forged for my arisen and pawn. Having her with dragon forged grigori weapons feels awesome

Naeblish

Why on earth does BBI give so little DP? I have gained 5 levels since my class change and not one vocation level. Do i really have to go to the noble quarter and kill guards for 15 min just to lvl up my vocation?

Got Ascalon silver Dragon forged. So retardedly good for now. Also the cursed dragons are annoying v as fuck. My character is tall but it's nigh impossible to connect v with his heart on even footing. Ultimately I got almost everything Dragon forged for my arisen and pawn. Having her with dragon forged grigori weapons feels awesome
Yeah they are annoying to hit. Jump attack (with warrior, dont know for sword classes) works perfect on them though. Just stand beneath their head and jump attack to their heart.

Eusis

Why on earth does BBI give so little DP? I have gained 5 levels since my class change and not one vocation level. Do i really have to go to the noble quarter and kill guards for 15 min just to lvl up my vocation?
One of the first links I got in Google for grinding DP outlined the formulas, it basically went that the higher the EXP the lower the DP earned, with the best DP:EXP ratio being under 100. Since everything there's probably given 1000 EXP you get the worst DP:EXP ratio. If you want to farm it, well, if you cleared Warm Welcome you can
put together a party of equal or lower leveled characters that'd get the guards outside of the castle to give just under 100 EXP, stand on a wall (outside the church works great), and just let your pawns murder them en masse. Sorcerers/mages work best for this.

Naeblish

One of the first links I got in Google for grinding DP outlined the formulas, it basically went that the higher the EXP the lower the DP earned, with the best DP:EXP ratio being under 100. Since everything there's probably given 1000 EXP you get the worst DP:EXP ratio. If you want to farm it, well, if you cleared Warm Welcome you can
put together a party of equal or lower leveled characters that'd get the guards outside of the castle to give just under 100 EXP, stand on a wall (outside the church works great), and just let your pawns murder them en masse. Sorcerers/mages work best for this.
I get 88xp per guard, would i get more DP if i release my 2 pawns?

Eusis

I get 88xp per guard, would i get more DP if i release my 2 pawns?
You want to keep it under 100, so you might do better with slightly lower leveled pawns but it's not too bad as is. Don't forget that if you're going to leave this as is for hours on end you COULD level, and thus for the long term this can give a comfortable buffer to not accidentally go over 100.

Yeah they are annoying to hit. Jump attack (with warrior, dont know for sword classes) works perfect on them though. Just stand beneath their head and jump attack to their heart.

I just grabbed on and held tight and smacked their shit.

Also your question was answered by hire two pawns that are lower level than you and you're done

Naeblish

You want to keep it under 100, so you might do better with slightly lower leveled pawns but it's not too bad as is. Don't forget that if you're going to leave this as is for hours on end you COULD level, and thus for the long term this can give a comfortable buffer to not accidentally go over 100.
Ok thanks.

Dresden

After playing a warrior for so long, playing a strider is like taking off weighted boots and shit. Brain Splitter + the climbing speed is insane.

persongr

I just got a lot of the bigger spells, Bolide and the like. What's the strategy for charging these things up without get staggered? There are so few enemies where I have enough time to get them off (cyclops are a good one) or it'd just be faster to kill everything with faster spells. Under what circumstances/enemies should I be using these big spells?

What you need is Maelstrom. You can charge it from far away without attracting the attention of the "crowd" enemies (bandits, wolves, harpies) and having a pretty large area of effect it can... swallow them.

One of the chests from the bluemoon gems gives a double points ring, it's pretty much a must if you still have classes to level in bbi and want to do it at reasonable pace.

Chaos

Sorry for the stupid question guys, but I'm now level 23 and still using the same Strider equipment (stilettos) I bought towards the start of the game. Are there any other outpost shops I should be looking for, or am I forced to progress the story? Ogres are kicking my ass.
I stopped story missions after
Everfall
because it autofailed some of my side missions, making me question wanting to move forward with the story too fast.

When I started the game I totally missed the quests on the notice boards, have you done them ?

I think there are 5 boards from what I remember.

The great wall camp has nice gear but might be tricky to get to / expensive.

Slygmous

When I started the game I totally missed the quests on the notice boards, have you done them ?

I think there are 5 boards from what I remember.

The great wall camp has nice gear but might be tricky to get to / expensive.
Yeah I'm all over the boards, but missed out on talking to several people in my town until it was too late.
I found a camp to the west today, not sure what it was called but I bought a new bow. I'll look it up, thanks!

stn

Getting this game soon, have been meaning to try since it released last year. Chances are its gonna be one of my favorites. Is it possible to see pics of the types of unique gear you can get?

Is there anything, for example, that looks like Daedric from the Elder Scrolls series?

Getting this game soon, have been meaning to try since it released last year. Chances are its gonna be one of my favorites. Is it possible to see pics of the types of unique gear you can get?

Is there anything, for example, that looks like Daedric from the Elder Scrolls series?

there is a DD wiki. don't know if you want to get spoiled though.

maomaoIYP

Yes and no.
You can see plenty of photos of gear on the pawn community website and on the wiki.
But gear is both unique and non-unique at the same time. There are several hundred unique pieces of individual gear, not just ~20-30 sets of armor in the Elder Scrolls games. However the same piece of gear can be usually obtained in more than one way, and hence is thus non-unique in that sense.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

I had the same issue last night when I got them. It took so long to charge them, then the mob just moved away or I got knocked down. Also, why is the necromancy spell so lame? Takes forever to change and then some skull fly off and do what? I was hoping that I was going to raise the dead and have a pet.

I tried to go to Everfall last night, um where is it? I thought it was that large hole in Gran Soren, but there was no way in that I saw, yet again the quest mapping is useless, no markers.

Edit: It is under the pawn guild? I went there too and only saw a few NPCs, no door and no stairs. The wiki says you jump, ok...

You'll find a few wicked-looking heavy armor sets in the game, notably some of the BBI gear.

I had the same issue last night when I got them. It took so long to charge them, then the mob just moved away or I got knocked down. Also, why is the necromancy spell so lame? Takes forever to change and then some skull fly off and do what? I was hoping that I was going to raise the dead and have a pet.

I tried to go to Everfall last night, um where is it? I thought it was that large hole in Gran Soren, but there was no way in that I saw, yet again the quest mapping is useless, no markers.

Edit: It is under the pawn guild? I went there too and only saw a few NPCs, no door and no stairs. The wiki says you jump, ok...

Just don't worry about the Everfall right now. ;)

Yeah, Necromancy sucks. When it hits it hits hard, but it only hits if you get close to an enemy or they get close to you. I can say that if you're getting that close to an enemy as a sorcerer you're probably playing wrong. The spell takes too much stamina, takes too long to cast, and only lasts for about half a minute.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The weapon stats are actually really easy to get, but with armor I still don't know what I'm really looking out for. Everything ups this or that by 10-15 points (negligible) but it's really the debilitation resistances that get heavily affected by armor. Unfortunately they have tiny icons that I've been too lazy to look up till now. I might just buy the White Hawk shit and roleplay.

kaiju

I have a favor to ask. Can anyone with the ability to screen capture please take a screenshot of the Dark Arisen loading screen picture (guy falling w/lantern in front of Daimon) without the text? When you load from a saved game it shows just the picture for a second before the helpful hint appears.

I am trying to design my own Dark Arisen T-Shirt with that image, but it's hard as hell to find just that image on the net for some reason. If not I will just make this Grigori one, but I prefer the loading screen pic.

front.jpg

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I have a favor to ask. Can anyone with the ability to screen capture please take a screenshot of the Dark Arisen loading screen picture (guy falling w/lantern in front of Daimon) without the text? When you load from a saved game it shows just the picture for a second before the helpful hint appears.

I am trying to design my own Dark Arisen T-Shirt with that image, but it's hard as hell to find just that image on the net for some reason. If not I will just make this Grigori one, but I prefer the loading screen pic.

front.jpg

I don't have a card and can't help you unfortunately but did you try looking up some 1080p Lets plays of Dragon's Dogma? You could rip the videos onto your computer and run it through a program that lets you look at the video frame by frame (usually gif maker programs let you do this) till you have the image you need.

So sword-using Assassins can't use double jump and roll. Dagger-using Assassins can't do controlled fall.

...And yet somehow, an unarmed Assassin or bow-only Assassin can do all of these things. WTF, Capcpom.

Top Bottom