• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

phierce

Why? I was told to go there instead of BBI at level ~56. I need something to do, I can't just wonder around and fight wolves and stuff.
Are you on ps3? If so I can give you some lv.2 BBI weps for you to purify. Will help a lot starting BBI early.

Only just got started but this is great.

I had to choose between this and MHU. The combination of low price for this and a poor demo for that (plus me loving this type of RPG) led to this choice.

The cheap price didn't hurt either. I went ps3 as it's the only one they had in stock.

First impressions are good, seems a very interesting game.

Why? I was told to go there instead of BBI at level ~56. I need something to do, I can't just wonder around and fight wolves and stuff.

I just don't want to spoil anything for you. When the Everfall opens up it will become abundantly obvious what you need to do.

kaiju

Defied Data said:
I just don't want to spoil anything for you. When the Everfall opens up it will become abundantly obvious what you need to do.

Actually he already mentioned it opened up for him, but he didn't know where to go. Just jump into the hole and
you'll be introduced to the new Everfall by Quince and given a new quest to collect 20 wakestones. But whatever you do, do not turn the wakestones in to Quince until you are done exploring all of the Chambers of Everfall. Doing so will open a portal that is pretty much a one-way trip to NG+. A map of all the landing spots for the Chambers in Everfall is located here: http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/The_Everfall

You will get tons of levels here and should definitely be ready for BBI once you've conquered everything there. Good luck!

Revan

Finally Platinumed the game.

I really can't get into BBI - it's like 4 maps with damage sponges....which really sucks cause I was super hyped for it.

I might come back to the game at some point (I'm just outside of Damien 1.0) but I can't bring myself to keep going (I'm a level 126 Assassin) sadly.

Overall though I have to say that DD was a huge surprise for me - I never thought that I'd fall in love with the game the way that I did. It's fucking incredible - this really is/was the open world ARPG that I've always wanted to play.

I hope....HOPE that Deep Down keeps the mix of interior and exterior environments - wandering aimlessly in a forest to get attacked by a Cyclops and a Chimera at once is a hell of a lot of fun - and who doesn't love dragons? Fighting the Wyrms in this game is by far one of the best gaming moments I've had this gen.

. I really can't get into BBI - it's like 4 maps with damage sponges....which really sucks cause I was super hyped for it.

I might come back to the game at some point (I'm just outside of Damien 1.0) but I can't bring myself to keep going (I'm a level 126 Assassin) sadly..
it definitely feels that way the first time through with just everfall equipment. I thought the second time going into BBI was a lot more enjoyable because I was able to dish out a lot more damage. The balance is skewed toward upgraded BBI weapons, imo.

Revan

it definitely feels that way the first time through with just everfall equipment. I thought the second time going into BBI was a lot more enjoyable because I was able to dish out a lot more damage. The balance is skewed toward upgraded BBI weapons, imo.

I've read that a lot on this board and over at GameFAQS. Maybe I wasn't getting the drops like everyone else or maybe my Assassin is built incorrectly - but BBI really sucked the wind outta my sails. I got up to right before Damien and said fuck it - do the plat, which I'm glad I did.

Possible quest spoiler to follow:

There is a quest to kill 2 Living Armors in the Catacombs.
So, I figured, why not, let's go. After an hour of slugging it out with those 2 I finally beat them and realized that BBI wasn't worth it - the damage curve feels slightly unbalanced and forces you to play by a standard set of rules - something the original game never did.

Vanilla DD was balanced in such a way that you could finish it with any vocation and experience a decent and rewarding challenge from start to finish (first time through - that goes out the window in NG+, and yes I know about how ridiculous the assassin was in vanilla - the nerfs in DA really made the character more rounded).

BBI, imo, forces you to play a certain way to get the gear you need before you can go back and play it the way you wanted to. I hate games that do this.

My opinion. I'm saddened that I'm giving up on the 20 hours of new content that I shelled out 40$ to play (and bought it digitally too - no refund or trade in) because I can't keep playing the game the way I wanted to play it from the start.

So sword-using Assassins can't use double jump and roll. Dagger-using Assassins can't do controlled fall.

...And yet somehow, an unarmed Assassin or bow-only Assassin can do all of these things. WTF, Capcpom.

Yeah, it's really stupid. I was (and still am) really disappointed that all vocations don't have a dodge move.

I'd do it like this:

Strider, Ranger, daggers Assassin/Magick Archer: the roll that they do now.
Fighters, Warriors, Mystic Knights, sword Assassin: an Offensive Dodge like Raiden in Revengeance, where they side/back jump out of the way while simultaneously slashing.
Mage, Sorcerer, staff wielding Mystic Knight/Magick Archer: a short range teleport or something.

And patch Warriors to give them 6 skills, ffs.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yeah, it's really stupid. I was (and still am) really disappointed that all vocations don't have a dodge move.

I'd do it like this:

Strider, Ranger, daggers Assassin/Magick Archer: the roll that they do now.
Fighters, Warriors, Mystic Knights, sword Assassin: an Offensive Dodge like Raiden in Revengeance, where they side/back jump out of the way while simultaneously slashing.
Mage, Sorcerer, staff wielding Mystic Knight/Magick Archer: a short range teleport or something.

And patch Warriors to give them 6 skills, ffs.

The melee classes do have a skill like that. It's called broad cut. And the casters get levitate. Levitate is awesome.

I've read that a lot on this board and over at GameFAQS. Maybe I wasn't getting the drops like everyone else or maybe my Assassin is built incorrectly - but BBI really sucked the wind outta my sails. I got up to right before Damien and said fuck it - do the plat, which I'm glad I did.

Possible quest spoiler to follow:

There is a quest to kill 2 Living Armors in the Catacombs.
So, I figured, why not, let's go. After an hour of slugging it out with those 2 I finally beat them and realized that BBI wasn't worth it - the damage curve feels slightly unbalanced and forces you to play by a standard set of rules - something the original game never did.

Vanilla DD was balanced in such a way that you could finish it with any vocation and experience a decent and rewarding challenge from start to finish (first time through - that goes out the window in NG+, and yes I know about how ridiculous the assassin was in vanilla - the nerfs in DA really made the character more rounded).

BBI, imo, forces you to play a certain way to get the gear you need before you can go back and play it the way you wanted to. I hate games that do this.

My opinion. I'm saddened that I'm giving up on the 20 hours of new content that I shelled out 40$ to play (and bought it digitally too - no refund or trade in) because I can't keep playing the game the way I wanted to play it from the start.
honestly, if I was you I'd beat daimon before bailing out. You'll automatically get a lvl3 weapon after defeating him. It'all make the whole BBI experience way more enjoyable.

Revan

honestly, if I was you I'd beat daimon before bailing out. You'll automatically get a lvl3 weapon after defeating him. It'all make the whole BBI experience way more enjoyable.

I will at some point. Doing the plat (some of the trophies are real grinds) kinda burned me out on the game.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Actually he already mentioned it opened up for him, but he didn't know where to go. Just jump into the hole and
you'll be introduced to the new Everfall by Quince and given a new quest to collect 20 wakestones. But whatever you do, do not turn the wakestones in to Quince until you are done exploring all of the Chambers of Everfall. Doing so will open a portal that is pretty much a one-way trip to NG+. A map of all the landing spots for the Chambers in Everfall is located here: http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/The_Everfall

You will get tons of levels here and should definitely be ready for BBI once you've conquered everything there. Good luck!

Thanks, yes I have the Wakestone quest, but just didn't know where to go. The quest says listen to the pawns, but they don't say anything useful. Why can't they just give me a quest marker on the map? Thanks for the help, time to jump in I guess.

Should I do the Everfall levels in order?

Revan

Thanks, yes I have the Wakestone quest, but just didn't know where to go. The quest says listen to the pawns, but they don't say anything useful. Why can't they just give me a quest marker on the map? Thanks for the help, time to jump in I guess.

You can do the Everfall anyway you want - most of what you are looking for is in the different chambers.

Word of caution - play offline.
The Chamber of Lament
is the
Ur-Dragon
and
beating him online could take weeks

Skilletor

I've grown bored of Sorcerer. I'm using a mystic knight pretty much like a warrior, so that's not fun (I realize I'm not using him right and that's my fault), so I've gone back to Magick Archer.

So much fun, but I have shite gear for it since I played most of the game as a mage. :/

Dresden

Escape Slash/Exodus Slash works fine for warriors, you can even air cancel out of the third hit to chain it with a jump slash (aka their best move).

They really need another way to mitigate damage--combat roll alone would do wonders. Not sure why every class doesn't get one; just have it so that the 'strider' classes roll faster with no pause in between.

kaiju

You mean alphabetically? I guess you could, but what I did was use a path that the strategy guide lays out. Their method uses a spiral system where you can proceed level by level to the bottom. Seemed easier for me to find all the Chambers. Just use the map I linked if you have a hard time finding a Chamber.

Here it is:
Chamber of Hope (where you got the quest)
Chamber of Confusion
Chamber of Anxiety
Chamber of Absence
Chamber of Hesitation
Chamber of Apprehension
Chamber of Remorse
Chamber of Tragedy
Chamber of Lament
Chamber of Fate
Chamber of Distress
Chamber of Estrangement
Chamber of Woe
Chamber of Sorrow
Chamber of Resolution
Chamber of Inspiration
Chamber of Hope (only when ready for NG+)

Revan said:
I will at some point. Doing the plat (some of the trophies are real grinds) kinda burned me out on the game.

This is my reason for saying fuck trophies. But it sounds like you've almost done everything the game has to offer...Daimon is the only thing that stands in your way. Don't let that shit haunt you man! Kill that sonofabeach!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I've grown bored of Sorcerer. I'm using a mystic knight pretty much like a warrior, so that's not fun (I realize I'm not using him right and that's my fault), so I've gone back to Magick Archer.

So much fun, but I have shite gear for it since I played most of the game as a mage. :/

I still need to try MA and make a decision between that and MK. My sorc has one more rank left and then I get dem juicy augments.

YoungOne

Success! Finally got the revenant,now to ask is there a list of all the skill rings? And is there a a reliable way to kill those stupid red phantasms?

... And is there a a reliable way to kill those stupid red phantasms?

I finally found a way: Mystic Knight - Stone Forest/Jungle if you have the ring.

Charge that shit up and wait for them to get close to you. I think it 1shots them if you have Stone Jungle and they latch onto you.

I hate those things so much, they always take ages to kill as a Ranger/Assassin/Magick Archer.

YoungOne

I finally found a way: Mystic Knight - Stone Forest/Jungle if you have the ring.

Charge that shit up and wait for them to get close to you. I think it 1shots them if you have Stone Jungle and they latch onto you.

I hate those things so much, they always take ages to kill as a Ranger/Assassin/Magick Archer.
Yea I barely do any damage to them with enchantmants. I'll try the surging light tomes see if that helps.

Yea I barely do any damage to them with enchantmants. I'll try the surging light tomes see if that helps.

If the tome works anything like the Holy Lanterns in the 3rd Stratum, they might not do much; the Wraiths dissipate after getting hit once, reform and get hit, dissipate, and so on... so the tome might only deal 4 or 5 hits during its entire duration.

Photo mode is fun. :)

My main pawn and my new alternative pawn.
93J5yLC.jpg

TCbvpM8.jpg

Kneel before me!

Revan

This is my reason for saying fuck trophies. But it sounds like you've almost done everything the game has to offer...Daimon is the only thing that stands in your way. Don't let that shit haunt you man! Kill that sonofabeach!

I usually do say that - but there was something about this game that made me want to get the plat. I only have three (one is on Vita) and generally I play games not to grind for trophies but to just play the game.

This game, however....yah I wanted the plat.

I'll get around to killing Damien at some point.....but not right away. Had my fill of the game for now.

Eusis

I normally feel that way... but man, this game was one of the least out of the way (for me) platinums out there, only Walking Dead is less so and that I played through that on PC instead of PS3 otherwise I would have had a platinum there too. The only ones that were real issues was getting all the non-noticeboard quests done, beating the game a second time, and giving gifts out, and only that last one was really out of the way of what I was doing... and while technically grindy is pretty much a joke as you can run around Gran Soren giving skulls to everyone, the quests one is the kind of thing I'd want to do (Seeing all significant content) and the other one just requires a speedrun once you have uber gear.

Success! Finally got the revenant,now to ask is there a list of all the skill rings? And is there a a reliable way to kill those stupid red phantasms?

As I said when giving soloing tips a while back, just let it possess you, walk over semi-close to a wall and chuck a Throwblast. Most times it's an instant kill, and if they manage to somehow survive the another one will finish it. Don't get too close to the wall or the Throwblast won't hit it and explode in the phantasm's face.

Bloody Knuckles man. Yeah baby.

Yup, gonna use these on my bow only Ranger as soon as she gets outta Assassin school.

Most annoying part of early play in this game is setting up the damn character. Unless of course you plan to play Warrior who has 80% of the badass augments anyway and good stat growth. Only really have to be a Fighter first with them.

Oh, and red phantom + wall + Throwblast = owned. Carry those. No really.

Escape Slash/Exodus Slash works fine for warriors, you can even air cancel out of the third hit to chain it with a jump slash (aka their best move).

They really need another way to mitigate damage--combat roll alone would do wonders.

Good to see a fellow Warrior that knows what's up. High five.

And yeah, another mitigation would be nice. I was thinking block since you know...same guys made Monster Hunter where you could block with the fucking sword. ._.

YoungOne

As I said when giving soloing tips a while back, just let it possess you, walk over semi-close to a wall and chuck a Throwblast. Most times it's an instant kill, and if they manage to somehow survive the another one will finish it. Don't get too close to the wall or the Throwblast won't hit it and explode in the phantasm's face.
Alrighty will do that thanks for the tip

Alright guys, at lv.143 I think I'll be taking a little hiatus from DD for a while. After beating Daimon 2.0 and gold rarefying my pawn's weapon I think I'll just wrap up this playthrough before moving on for a while. I'll still peek my head in to see what everyone's up to but I'll be starting Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut tomorrow and I'm not sure how long that'll take.

Just letting everyone know so they don't wonder why my pawn's level will stay the same for a while. Happy hunting, guys! I hope to boot her back up and have a million RC.

phierce

Alright guys, at lv.143 I think I'll be taking a little hiatus from DD for a while. After beating Daimon 2.0 and gold rarefying my pawn's weapon I think I'll just wrap up this playthrough before moving on for a while. I'll still peek my head in to see what everyone's up to but I'll be starting Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut tomorrow and I'm not sure how long that'll take.

Just letting everyone know so they don't wonder why my pawn's level will stay the same for a while. Happy hunting, guys! I hope to boot her back up and have a million RC.
Yeah, to echo Deified here...I'll be playing later tonight and all day tomorrow, but I fly out Saturday morning for work in San Diego and won't be on for about a week. You guys take good care of Sway for me while I'm gone!

Also, as I've posted a few times before, any of you guys, on PS3, who need lv.2 weapons/armor...shoot me a message. I've been farming a while and have zero use for any of the lv.2 stuff. If you need it, shoot me a message today/tomorrow and I'll gift it your way.

Dresden

Also, as I've posted a few times before, any of you guys, on PS3, who need lv.2 weapons/armor...shoot me a message. I've been farming a while and have zero use for any of the lv.2 stuff. If you need it, shoot me a message today/tomorrow and I'll gift it your way.
I'll take a few weapons if you don't need 'em, I'm trying to get a Magebreaker and the damn thing won't pop up.

Eusis

Actually, I gotta ask: what IS a good secondary vocation for Warrior? Mine's set to Scather/Mitigator, but that's mainly because it kept shaking off Utilitarian as a fighter so I gave up, yet I can't help but think Scather just completely overrides Mitigator. Then again I guess you'd mainly just want the guy to be staggering tough opponents anyway and maybe cleaning up if relevant.

maomaoIYP

lol you really are playing Medieval Dress Up 2013. That's awesome...can't wait to see more pics, but no, I can't help ya...

Yeah I really enjoy this Medieval Dress Up / Photography 2013 aspect LOL. I loved collecting clothes in the Elder Scrolls games too, but no screenshot feature on consoles though.

Actually, I gotta ask: what IS a good secondary vocation for Warrior? Mine's set to Scather/Mitigator, but that's mainly because it kept shaking off Utilitarian as a fighter so I gave up, yet I can't help but think Scather just completely overrides Mitigator. Then again I guess you'd mainly just want the guy to be staggering tough opponents anyway and maybe cleaning up if relevant.

Acquisitor!

The more stuff my pawn picks up, the better... because that means less stuff I have to force her to carry by trading it to her.

Acquisitor!

The more stuff my pawn picks up, the better... because that means less stuff I have to force her to carry by trading it to her.

Yeah that's the setup I use, for the same reasons. My main pawn (fighter) is huge so I use him as a pack mule as well. Scather/Acquisitor works very well.

phierce

Alright, early question. How in the world do you get to where the Peddler's Petition goal is?
Are you asking for directions to the Great Wall?
If you're already asking here, you probably don't want to explore it on your own...so, use the wiki or just google it.

However, it's west/north west of Gran Soren. Leave north gate, follow path across the bridge and kind of stay left. Go through the female bandit camp and you'll see it in the distance.

Pro Tip: grab the lady garbs outfit from the black cat if you or your pawns are male.

Zertez

Finally got a chance to play the new content and Im really looking forward to it by comments in this thread. Dark Souls sucked me back in for a short spell, so I got side tracked for a week.

They should have made how to access the bonus items a little more obvious. I know I should have checked the storage space, but figured the items would be in my personal inventory, but nothing was there. Im sure it has already been mentioned several times already, but for anyone looking for the bonus items, check the storage space. Even if you create a new game over your original Dragon's Dogma save, the items will be in storage. I was afraid I lost them once I restarted a new game.

Teknoman

Are you asking for directions to the Great Wall?
If you're already asking here, you probably don't want to explore it on your own...so, use the wiki or just google it.

However, it's west/north west of Gran Soren. Leave north gate, follow path across the bridge and kind of stay left. Go through the female bandit camp and you'll see it in the distance.

Pro Tip: grab the lady garbs outfit from the black cat if you or your pawns are male.

Heh so thats why I couldnt get through there. Its not that I dont want to explore on my own (restarted from my vanilla save on hard mode via dark arisen, since I hadnt played in awhile and wanted to start fresh albeit with my original character), its just i've walked all over Gransys and couldnt figure out how to get there.

Top Bottom