• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Maelstrom I can deal with. Pawns get sucked into it and it can be a while before I get them out. I usually have Gale Harness and Showdown active when I enter in a room like that. I can run away from the tornado with relative ease, but what really fucks my toast is the damn Seism spells. Its area of effect is titanic and it always blindsides me. Maelstrom does suck in its own right though. Even at its least harmful it makes you turn from steel wielding badass to nurturing baby sitter in seconds.

I'm so damn salty right now.

If you are using a ranged vocation, you can kill everyone from the balcony.

I just wanted to say a big thank you to phierce, who was kind enough to gift me two lv.2 weapons... which ended up being Dragon's Glaze and Dragon's Tempest, the exact two I was after. Thanks again!

phierce

I just wanted to say a big thank you to phierce, who was kind enough to gift me two lv.2 weapons... which ended up being Dragon's Glaze and Dragon's Tempest, the exact two I was after. Thanks again!
No worries! I'm glad you and the others could get some use out of the items AND actually got stuff you wanted. That's awesome!

As I said previously, I'm out of town for work until Thursday, so I won't be grinding BBI this week. When I get back, I'll be able to give out some more cursed items (currently only need lv3 armor...so everything is up for the taking as I obtain it).

With that said, you guys keep an eye out for Sway while I'm gone...no telling what she'll try to get into while I'm gone!

Edit: really should buy a travel PS3...actually may have some downtime this trip. Or just two PS4s...hmmm

Eusis

try inspecting the walls there. sounds like there is something behind them. scrapped dlc is my bet.
They said they planned for the world to be much bigger. Those are likely connected to the snipped off areas.

On that note I wish Dark Arisen added those areas. Then again it ran out of space on 360 so maybe being multiplatform (or a current gen game period) hobbled it.

They said they planned for the world to be much bigger. Those are likely connected to the snipped off areas.

On that note I wish Dark Arisen added those areas. Then again it ran out of space on 360 so maybe being multiplatform (or a current gen game period) hobbled it.

I just hope they can really deliver on the sequel.

No "we wanted to do this but..." this time!

I want bigger and better and more epic everything for Dragon's Dogma 2

kaiju

No worries! I'm glad you and the others could get some use out of the items AND actually got stuff you wanted. That's awesome!

As I said previously, I'm out of town for work until Thursday, so I won't be grinding BBI this week. When I get back, I'll be able to give out some more cursed items (currently only need lv3 armor...so everything is up for the taking as I obtain it).

With that said, you guys keep an eye out for Sway while I'm gone...no telling what she'll try to get into while I'm gone!

Edit: really should buy a travel PS3...actually may have some downtime this trip. Or just two PS4s...hmmm

Took Sway on a wyrm-hunt. Killed several post-game dragons with relative ease. I feel way overpowered having her in my party, but it's a helluva lot of fun. Into BBI we go

Eusis

I just hope they can really deliver on the sequel.

No "we wanted to do this but..." this time!

I want bigger and better and more epic everything for Dragon's Dogma 2
Who are you kidding, that'll always be happening. And it's not inherently a bad thing, sometimes the cut content just wasn't going to be any good.

The question is how much will be cut, and how badly it'll stick out.

Varna

Just picked this up for PS3. Seems like a really good game. Was waiting on a PC version but it doesn't look like Capcom is going to budge on this one for whatever reason.

Foxix Von

Well... the difficulty balancing is all over the place in BBI o_o

The room before the living armor was nuts to the point I just ran through it. I am not fighting death and an elder ogre at the same time. NO.

However the living armor itself? Pretty easy.

Just got to the daimon and now he's completely wrecking me... sort of. Really I get up until the point where he decides to make my pawns evaporate and then... I'm kind of screwed without my healer and having them as a distraction.

Is there any way to stop him from doing that?

If you are using a ranged vocation, you can kill everyone from the balcony.

Ah, I'm an Assassin using a shield/daggers but I keep a bow on my pawn for when I need it. I think I tried taking them out from the balcony before but due to how dark that room is I could hardly see what I was shooting at. That and I think I recall them being able to land an attack or two up at the balcony. Normally I can tuck away in a corner as my pawns distract them, but running up the balcony usually just has my pawns stuck in the corridor behind me. Getting hit in that room is not an option, since they instant kill me.

Who are you kidding, that'll always be happening. And it's not inherently a bad thing, sometimes the cut content just wasn't going to be any good.

The question is how much will be cut, and how badly it'll stick out.

Well if the end of the sentence happens to be "but it wasn't going to be very good" that is a good thing, yeah =P

What I really mean I guess is hope that time, hardware, budget etc. constraints don't prevent them from putting something awesome in the game. Frontier Lands seems like it might have been that sort of thing.

Dragon's Dogma clearly could have used better hardware in any case and next-gen consoles should easily allow for a much grander adventure than the first.

kaiju

Here's a few pics I took of my pawn Tempest. Finally got the right look I wanted. Ended up giving in to the BBI Olra hair DLC, so not sure if she is going to look bald to those that haven't downloaded the BBI DLC yet lol.

DragonsDogma_DarkArisenScreenshot_2_zpsae384853.jpg

DragonsDogma_DarkArisenScreenshot_1_zpsdd11d3fc.jpg

DragonsDogma_DarkArisenScreenshot_3_zps4c77da6e.jpg

Nice pics B.A.L.

I didn't realize that hair was so long in the back, it makes me wish I had it for my pawn.

My turn for screen sharing...

Me and my main pawn:
e98293699f0b686ddf4b150d6387a1af_l.jpg

Me stabbing a prisoner gorecyclops in the head after it died because I hate them.
7a17ac8a32c631203fc39439d19bc2a5_l.jpg

Pic of the fallen city from a rooftop:
9e9123c457605bd90e58af4f2b016ff1_l.jpg

Taking down a cursed dragon:
9eba198ce0efcb28bee5c0a24c6f3ec8_l.jpg

109f03980d42756ae7d7b47b1cc1a4ea_l.jpg

Stabbing Daimon in his face.
77ee8390339de5c51673a6ac7974a7b4_l.jpg

Eusis

Nice pics B.A.L.

I didn't realize that hair was so long in the back, it makes me wish I had it for my pawn.

My turn for screen sharing...
Man, on that note I don't like how that helmet looks, and outright hate it on female characters (or at least ones that arn't huge and buffed out) for how awkward it looks, like you're wearing a mascot head or something. I'd just stick with the Dragon Wings/Band as the rest of the armor looks fine.

Man, on that note I don't like how that helmet looks, and outright hate it on female characters (or at least ones that arn't huge and buffed out) for how awkward it looks, like you're wearing a mascot head or something. I'd just stick with the Dragon Wings/Band as the rest of the armor looks fine.

Yeah, I should probably remove the helmet. The hellfire helm gives a huge amount of stats, though, but it's really not worth it for how terrible it looks lol

Eusis

Yeah, I should probably remove the helmet. The hellfire helm gives a huge amount of stats, though, but it's really not worth it for how terrible it looks lol
That's why I wish the stuff like the dragon band or wings had higher stats or higher stat equivalents, nevermind how homogenous it can be if everyone's wearing gear that won't show their faces. It's probably the biggest reason to be against armor showing on your character, I hate having helmets block their faces!

Dresden

I didn't realize until now that you could take off a condemned gorecyclop's helm in one shot, if you aim for the clasp on the leather belt that secures it to their back. So much time wasted before.

Also, Brain Splitter is killing chimeras in one or two spins. So crazy.

That's why I wish the stuff like the dragon band or wings had higher stats or higher stat equivalents, nevermind how homogenous it can be if everyone's wearing gear that won't show their faces. It's probably the biggest reason to be against armor showing on your character, I hate having helmets block their faces!

Needs a toggle like in Kingdoms of Amalur, which gives you the stats of whatever helm you're wearing but makes it invisible.

Eusis

Needs a toggle like in Kingdoms of Amalur, which gives you the stats of whatever helm you're wearing but makes it invisible.
Yeah, that'd work too, though I wonder with the way the pawn system is set up that they'd want it forced on just for the sake of character customization as the original pawn owner saw fit.

Then again, that'd be why THEY can decide to toggle the helmets on/off, so even if your hired one wears one you don't need to be forced into it for yourself and your pawn.

Eusis

How do you use specialty arrows like blast arrows? I just switched to mystic archer buf cant seem to equip them... Thanks.
Mystic Archers simply can't use them, their arrows are literally made of magic.

For every other class that can use bows: go into the menu and use them, then you'll keep firing them until you select "put away" in the menu or run out. Even when you're doing special shots, which means 5/10 shot can be MURDER.

Mystic Archers simply can't use them, their arrows are literally made of magic.

For every other class that can use bows: go into the menu and use them, then you'll keep firing them until you select "put away" in the menu or run out. Even when you're doing special shots, which means 5/10 shot can be MURDER.

Yeah, blast arrows are kind of broken. I wouldn't be surprised if they got nerfed.

Also, is there such a thing called BBI 3.0 where enemy patterns remix a third time?

Eusis

Yeah, blast arrows are kind of broken. I wouldn't be surprised if they got nerfed.

Also, is there such a thing called BBI 3.0 where enemy patterns remix a third time?
I'll be very disappointed given they're the best way to farm Daimon 2.0, but honestly they'd still be amazing if they had the knockdown power at a fraction of the damage output, though that'd work better with pawns that run into something's face and pound the shit out of it.

And not quite, it seems that with BBI 2.0 the rooms have a few potential encounters and so it'll randomly go with one then flip to the other if a room's cleared.

Foxix Von

Woo finally beat daimon for the first time!

Had to reset the game a bit to get the loot I wanted haha. I can't tell if the Helmbartes are better than Sapfire daggers. Helmbartes have tons of damage, but Sapfire splits its damage into magic and also has a status ailment effect...

Maledict

My level 20 or so pawn got hired yesterday and came back with 12000 rift crystals which is a huge amount at these levels, so there's definitely people still playing and hiring at these levels.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Finally max ranked sorc and decided to try magick archer out..yeah..I might switch to this instead of the mystic knight. Seems the best of both worlds.

Sad that I got this game so late, doubt my pawn will ever be hired!

Are you on ps3? I go out of my way to hire lower than me pawns. I'm still rocking level 30 versions of Cherie and Ally Mcheal.

Ferrio

Banned
Finally max ranked sorc and decided to try magick archer out..yeah..I might switch to this instead of the mystic knight. Seems the best of both worlds.

Are you on ps3? I go out of my way to hire lower than me pawns. I'm still rocking level 30 versions of Cherie and Ally Mcheal.

Yep, lvl 31.

PSN: Ferrio.

Raide

The more I play of this game...the more I hope they do a HD version for PS4/720/PC. Really getting into the varied combat and the encounters and I am still only 20 or so hours in.

Slime

Banned
This game is too good. Exactly the type of game I've wanted since the beginning of this generation. Hits all the right marks for me.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Added. She's a ranger currently, warrior in the near future.

Same thing I did. Mine's currently in the war phase. 2 more ranks till clout then back to ranger. Tip for war pawns (unless your's is a genius unlike mine), lay off the charge moves. She will always whiff. I gave her some aoe swings and a few lunge moves and now she's a beast. Although once I set her to war literally no one has hired her. =(

Chaos

Nice, Ally is now a 53 sorc :)

Top Bottom