• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Holy crap, I just got an armor level 3 out of one of the wooden chests up on the balcony in the room with two prisoner gorecyclopes.

edit: The balcony opposite the side with the wakestone. The one you have to jump to.

edit2: found a weapon level 3 in the chest behind the waterfall in the bloodless stockade (sewer room right before sparyard of scant mercy)

Eusis

Hard mode DOES just put you at the start of the game as if it was NG+. You don't lose your items or your levels. However I'm not sure if it can be activated anytime in any playthrough or if it requires you to actually be already in NG+. You'll get instructions and warnings once you select Hard mode from the title screen, so you'll know.
Yeah, guess I got it right.

... Fuck this shit who wants level 3 BBI weapons? My last batch are repeats so I'm giving them away, have two of them.

Yeah, guess I got it right.

... Fuck this shit who wants level 3 BBI weapons? My last batch are repeats so I'm giving them away, have two of them.
I would love one if you're sure you want to give them away. My PSN is AStiffBreeze and my pawn's name is Isgrimnur (details in the googledocs spreadsheet as well).

Eusis

I would love one if you're sure you want to give them away. My PSN is AStiffBreeze and my pawn's name is Isgrimnur (details in the googledocs spreadsheet as well).
Don't worry, I've done vocation switches each time and it's ALL repeats, and seemingly of the most common stuff. I think it may change in trading (that's what someone claimed anyway), so it may not be the same for you, and for anyone really low level it'd be their first taste of high end BBI anyway.

Don't worry, I've done vocation switches each time and it's ALL repeats, and seemingly of the most common stuff. I think it may change in trading (that's what someone claimed anyway), so it may not be the same for you, and for anyone really low level it'd be their first taste of high end BBI anyway.

Any level 3 stuff would be mind-blowing for me, regardless of what it is!

My last PS3 got YLOD with my DD save on it, so in Dark Arisen I started from scratch and had to wait a fortnight before I actually had a working PS3 to play it on. I'm only a level 52 at the moment and still haven't even fought Grigori yet (too busy doing all of the DLC "From a different sky" easter egg hunts lol). I'm still all pre-Grigori equipment, with the exception of the two Lv.2 items that phierce so generously donated. All this donated stuff is inspiring me to visit BBI a little earlier than I'd planned :)

YoungOne

Wanting to make my ranger pawn more useful I tested some inclination combinations so far scather/challenger, scather/utilitarian and utilitarian/scather gave me the best results. What should I go with?

Eusis

Wanting to make my ranger pawn more useful I tested some inclination combinations so far scather/challenger, scather/utilitarian and utilitarian/scather gave me the best results. What should I go with?
For rangers I'd go with challenger as primary as that will make them focus on ranged attackers, which Rangers are well suited for.

I threw my other BBI weapon your way by the way.

Eusis

I'd be keen on some if you don't mind.

PSN: klee123
Pawn: Karah
Already threw it off, and given the third was the same damn thing I just gave up and beat the game, so it may be awhile before I am able to harvest level 3 weapons (if I don't just call it a day, heh.) On that note I'm disappointed it tracks the speedrun despite the speedrun not tracking the main game for
the endgame Arisen/Pawn pair, because I wanted my inverted pair to fight my original pair, but I guess they just up and vanished.
If I downloaded the game off PSN, can I not get the high res textures? I can't seem to find them on PSN.
The HD Textures were just there because they couldn't fit the normal ones on the same disc for the 360. On blu-ray that's a complete non-issue.

If I downloaded the game off PSN, can I not get the high res textures? I can't seem to find them on PSN.

PS3 version has them by default.

And they're not "high-res textures" so much, but instead "normal DD textures." The 360 version couldn't fit all the new content onto the original disc so they had to lower the texture resolution to make room.

Corsick

Got my pawn decked out in full lvl 2/3 BBI gear except for rings and cape I believe. He looks soooo good with all that black armor. Also got a huge influx of RC after I got
Devil's Bane and Dread Aspis
. I honestly think the cooler your pawn looks the more rentals it gets as long as it has decent inclinations.

Eusis

PS3 version has them by default.

And they're not "high-res textures" so much, but instead "normal DD textures." The 360 version couldn't fit all the new content onto the original disc so they had to lower the texture resolution to make room.
Well, I suppose they're technically HD in that they're actually reasonable textures for a game on an HD platform, whereas the non-HD textures look like they belong on a N64... if you're feeling charitable.

klee123

Already threw it off, and given the third was the same damn thing I just gave up and beat the game, so it may be awhile before I am able to harvest level 3 weapons (if I don't just call it a day, heh.) On that note I'm disappointed it tracks the speedrun despite the speedrun not tracking the main game for
the endgame Arisen/Pawn pair, because I wanted my inverted pair to fight my original pair, but I guess they just up and vanished.

It's all good. Thanks anyways.

Jobbs

Banned
Guys, where can i get port crystals easily?

Do the main quests and you'll get a number of them.

Oh, and
when the main quest takes you to that hill with the drawing on it and you meet the dude in the cave, look around the cave. There's one sitting there that some people might miss.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Hard mode DOES just put you at the start of the game as if it was NG+. You don't lose your items or your levels. However I'm not sure if it can be activated anytime in any playthrough or if it requires you to actually be already in NG+. You'll get instructions and warnings once you select Hard mode from the title screen, so you'll know.
You can start hard mode at any time once you've started a 'normal' file. I wanted to start from level 1 in hard so I overwrote my vanilla import data and started the prologue in DA on normal. Quit out of the game immediately and hard mode was available to start using that file.

I'll admit I had to hire a free level 20 pawn from my friendslist from vanilla DD to beat the hydra at the start of the game though since it seemed like I couldn't do enough damage alone. Since then it's been incredibly fun/challenging/rewarding though, feels like dark souls with everything 1-2 shotting me at around level 30 right now. Might be a problem later on but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

maomaoIYP

You can start hard mode at any time once you've started a 'normal' file. I wanted to start from level 1 in hard so I overwrote my vanilla import data and started the prologue in DA on normal. Quit out of the game immediately and hard mode was available to start using that file.

I'll admit I had to hire a free level 20 pawn from my friendslist from vanilla DD to beat the hydra at the start of the game though since it seemed like I couldn't do enough damage alone. Since then it's been incredibly fun/challenging/rewarding though, feels like dark souls with everything 1-2 shotting me at around level 30 right now. Might be a problem later on but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I started a fresh file on hard, playing only with the main pawn. It gets easier as you progress and get better gear, I don't get one shot by goblins anymore, I'm around lvl 40.

Recall

The Xbox 360 store for the DLC is confusing as mud. The Dark Arisen page has the some of the original Dragons Dogma DLC, does the DLC work in Dark Arisen or an error?

I load up Dark Arisen and it lists DLC yet can't find it in the store :/

Do the main quests and you'll get a number of them.

Oh, and
when the main quest takes you to that hill with the drawing on it and you meet the dude in the cave, look around the cave. There's one sitting there that some people might miss.
Thanks.

Any idea how can i get a NPC back. Aslam, the inn keeper, was killed in one of the sidequests and now there is no one at the inn in Gran Soren :(

How do i revert this? =/

maomaoIYP

The Xbox 360 store for the DLC is confusing as mud. The Dark Arisen page has the some of the original Dragons Dogma DLC, does the DLC work in Dark Arisen or an error?

I load up Dark Arisen and it lists DLC yet can't find it in the store :/

The DLC that you can access from the XBL marketplace are for DD vanilla, they are already included in Dark Arisen. To buy DA DLC just buy them from Olra.

Slygmous

Where is Olra located? Thanks.

Bitterblack Isle.

Speaking of the DLC, is the new armour unbalancing at my level? I'm level 35 at the moment and won't buy something that'll make the game too easy, but I like options being available at shops. Assuming it doesn't just dump it into your storage for free..?

Ferrio

Banned
God damn, these quests for pre-duke talk just keep coming. Think I have them done.. realize I missed a board... and tons of side areas.

Least my pawn is all Gutz'ed out now.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
God damn, these quests for pre-duke talk just keep coming. Think I have them done.. realize I missed a board... and tons of side areas.

Least my pawn is all Gutz'ed out now.

There's actually way more after meeting the duke. Been at it for a good 5 hours now before I've done Griffin's Bane.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Guess I'll just speak to the duke, didn't realize the non wyrm hunt quests wouldn't cancel, sounded like they all would.

The one's directly related to pre-duke meeting stage will cancel though. Grimoire for example, though I'm sure you cleaned up all the obvious ones. Btw Bellaire is doing just fine.

Recall

If I'm facing enemies that aren't outright killing me but I'm doing so little damage to them does it mean I'm under equipped or under levelled?

I feel exploration is quite punishing as you can find yourself in a situation with no way out.

maomaoIYP

Bitterblack Isle.

Speaking of the DLC, is the new armour unbalancing at my level? I'm level 35 at the moment and won't buy something that'll make the game too easy, but I like options being available at shops. Assuming it doesn't just dump it into your storage for free..?
It gets dumped into your storage for free. Without upgrades they suck pretty bad (like starting gear bad), but they only much more powerful after upgrading. They never reach a point where they're better than end game BBI loot though.

If I'm facing enemies that aren't outright killing me but I'm doing so little damage to them does it mean I'm under equipped or under levelled?

I feel exploration is quite punishing as you can find yourself in a situation with no way out.

If you're not playing on hard and you're not getting killed even if the enemy swarms you then you just need better weapons.
If you're getting killed very quickly then probably both.
The game encourages exploration and it's perfectly fine to run from battles that are overwhelming, the AI isn't programmed to hunt you down relentlessly.

Slygmous

It gets dumped into your storage for free. Without upgrades they suck pretty bad (like starting gear bad), but they only much more powerful after upgrading. They never reach a point where they're better than end game BBI loot though.

If they're reasonably hard to upgrade and look awesome then you've sold me already.

Chaos

Sorry, I'm starting with the original Dragon's Dogma. Can you help me with this?

I have three questions, please, because the game is in english and maybe I lost some important things...

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

You can buy empty vails at gran soren and then fill them up, there is a healing lake near the city and you can fill up the empty vails with water and give them to your pawns to help healing.

When I was a mage I changed to sorc and made my pawn a mage to heal.
Then I grabbed 2 fighters and it seemed to work well.

If you are dying on quests grab some higher level pawns to help.

Audioboxer

So my post game adventures really start today. I've travelled back to Gran Soren, what a mess!

I've read once you do the quest that sends you back there the guards go tits and keep attacking you, holding off doing it for now and I'll do some quest board missions instead. I went back through the catacombs and didn't find anything new, now going to soulflayer valley as I know a Gorechimera is there due to a quest.

The sword Dragons Dogma is pretty awesome, got it and a good shield from The Dragon as I was a Mystic Knight when I killed him.

Slygmous

Here's how they look.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57709460&postcount=6563
If I recall correctly like most of the vanilla DLC armor (the ones sold by the black cat) they are considerably hard to upgrade.

Thanks, that's very helpful (and your Arisen looks great).
I actually ignored the vanilla DLC armour as being overpriced crap, it didn't occur to me that they could be upgraded significantly. I'm still early in the game with early armour (haven't spoken to the Duke yet).

maomaoIYP

Thanks, that's very helpful (and your Arisen looks great).
I actually ignored the vanilla DLC armour as being overpriced crap, it didn't occur to me that they could be upgraded significantly. I'm still early in the game with early armour (haven't spoken to the Duke yet).

You're welcome! Well...I'm a sucker for armor DLC so I really couldn't resist. I bought most of the vanilla armor as well.

Vitanimus

Is there some sort of gift "etiquette" in place for when sending a pawn away? I feel a bit bad when I have nothing of value to gift in comparison to the weapons and armor that other people have gifted to my pawn (thanks btw!)

It'd be handy to know if there are any items worthwhile to give away as a gift. I hope this makes sense.

I'm an expert

Is there some sort of gift "etiquette" in place for when sending a pawn away? I feel a bit bad when I have nothing of value to gift in comparison to the weapons and armor that other people have gifted to my pawn (thanks btw!)

It'd be handy to know if there are any items worthwhile to give away as a gift. I hope this makes sense.

Not really. If you have extra gear lying around and feel it's a worthy upgrade to gift, by all means, but I think most people who are at least pre-endgame don't have much valuable to give. Once you're in the farming for gear stage of the game, it's easy to bestow gifts upon people.

Audioboxer

Rotten carrots.

twelver

Ur Dragon Question: I went to the chamber of lament for the first time to fight the Ur Dragon, he showed up and then left immediately. What did I do wrong?

Also is it even worth bothering with him and everfall with new BBI content?? Thanks

I'm an expert

Are most of you guys who are continuing to loot grind doing it for your arisen or for your main pawn? I don't get the point of gearing out your arisen in this game since he doesn't participate in anything online. My pawn though, I feel like I want to deck her out more than my char because she's the one that's out there representing me. I think once I get to end game I'm gonna gear my arisen out in my pawn's vocation's gear to get all the drops/dragonforge because in the end my arisen can look like a hobo and no one would know.

^ Definitely for the pawn. Just finished kitting my pawn out in level 3 BBI gear and then killing cursed dragons to dragonforge it all. I am honestly happy to say goodbye to BBI at this point.
Ur Dragon Question: I went to the chamber of lament for the first time to fight the Ur Dragon, he showed up and then left immediately. What did I do wrong?

Also is it even worth bothering with him and everfall with new BBI content?? Thanks
You might have run into the Ur Dragon at the end of the grace period where he spawns with no hp.

BBI high level equipment is better and you can find a bunch of everfall loot in BBI chests anyway.

twelver

You might have run into the Ur Dragon at the end of the grace period where he spawns with no hp.

BBI high level equipment is better and you can find a bunch of everfall loot in BBI chests anyway.

Thanks. For MA, how does it work if you go bow/staff, do you get combined magic attack from both weapons, or do you only get the magic stat from whichever your attacking with at the time??

maomaoIYP

Guys, why are my screenshots MUCH more compressed than yours? They're rubbish, I can't even look at them. Is this because of PS3?

How bad are they? Post some pics? I'm on the 360, but a lot of the dudes on the pawn community site are on the ps3, and their pics look pretty good.

edit: Been taking some vanity shots of my pawn as well as her vs orges.
96724610151511306967758.jpg

96489310151511659367758.jpg

96490310151511682582758.jpg

Recall

I'm in need of a useful pawn as I still figure things out. Anyone on 360 want to exchange gamertags? Recallberserk is mine.

Been using a quest guide to locate the quests then been trying my best to finish them without looking up what to do, quite an enjoyable experience thus far.

Top Bottom