• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Tomodachi

How bad are they? Post some pics? I'm on the 360, but a lot of the dudes on the pawn community site are on the ps3, and their pics look pretty good.
Mmm, I looked back at some of the pics posted here, maybe they were resized and smaller so they looked better. Some other pics are compressed just like mine, so it's probably not "my" fault :/

Here's my arisen w/ his loyal main pawn. In my imaginary fanfiction they're really... close.

dragonsdogma_darkaris0oko1.jpg

Arisen running as fast as he can from BBI.

The look of love.

My pawn being awesome with his serious look.

Ferrio

Banned
The one's directly related to pre-duke meeting stage will cancel though. Grimoire for example, though I'm sure you cleaned up all the obvious ones. Btw Bellaire is doing just fine.

Neat, not sure if she's still a ranger in your game or not. She's currently a warrior in my game... though she isn't quite effective as it as I was :(

Think in the end she might totally become a strider.

Leezard

So what is there to do in the Everfall? I've gone through most of the chambers, I have enough wakestones to open the portal.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
So what is there to do in the Everfall? I've gone through most of the chambers, I have enough wakestones to open the portal.

I have the same question. Now that I have done the Everfall and leveled up to ~62, should I go to BBI?

gioGAF

Well, after a rocky start, things are looking up. I'm working on my pawn right now (she's on the google doc, line 106 on the PSN side, Isabel).

At the moment, her inclinations are Scather/Challenger. That seems to be working out. I had a question for the more experienced players on this board:

1) Is it worth it to upgrade spells for your pawn (Ingle --> High Ingle, etc.)?
The pawn AI will NEVER fire the plain Ingle during combat, it will ALWAYS try to go for a full charge and cancel if an enemy gets near. The lower version of a spell charges much faster than the high version, this leads to more spells being cast.

My party usually just consists of my Arisen (Assassin) + main pawn (Sorcerer), so speed is of the essence for the pawn (has Wyrmking's Ring + Articulacy on her) since there are no other pawns to draw aggro away from her. This strategy seems to be working well thus far.

I'm using Ingle as an example, but this applies to all spells. The only one that seems worthwhile to upgrade is Voidspell since only High Voidspell cures Petrification. Many spells are useless for a pawn unless you are mirroring them with other sorcerers, since they take FOREVER to charge.

Any advice is appreciated. Please keep in mind that this is from the perspective of a min/maxer. I want discussion on OPTIMUM performance. I know it is possible to get by doing whatever since after a certain level you can just steam roll most enemies.

BTW: If anyone has a spare Abyssinal Set (Coat, Bracers, Greaves) and/or Abyssinal Outfit lying around that they don't minding gifting, that would be helpful :)
I don't want to
darken Gransys anytime soon, I like the world aesthetic pre-dragon

Ferrio

Banned
Pissed how i keep finding Warrior/Mystic Knight weapons... not a single pair of daggers. Keep going store bought :| Maybe after me and duke have a talk...

Clockwork5

So I am not too pleased with my pawn (and apparently neither is the sucker who used her the other day .... one star across the board) She is a mage, Level 24 and it seems like I have answered all of the questions while in the chair in a way that would cause her to endlessly buff and maybe get one or two offensive spells off per encounter.

It is annoying to the extent I am considering changing vocations. She just seems really inefficient and is basically a healbot / weapon enchanter. I want some more offensive production out of her... I have healing and enchanting spells in the secondary skill slots and offensive spells in the primary slots.

Also, how should I answer these questions in order to get more offensive spells out of her?

Dresden

So I am not too pleased with my pawn (and apparently neither is the sucker who used her the other day .... one star across the board) She is a mage, Level 24 and it seems like I have answered all of the questions while in the chair in a way that would cause her to endlessly buff and maybe get one or two offensive spells off per encounter.

It is annoying to the extent I am considering changing vocations. She just seems really inefficient and is basically a healbot / weapon enchanter. I want some more offensive production out of her... I have healing and enchanting spells in the secondary skill slots and offensive spells in the primary slots.

Also, how should I answer these questions in order to get more offensive spells out of her?

Don't answer questions. Head to the encampment and you can buy Inclination potions off the RC vendor next to the riftstone. Just consume them and it'll be reflected on your pawn right away.

For mage, challenger/utilitarian seems to work well.

Eusis

Well, the knowledge chair is still useful, but it should be more to verify the hidden third inclination (or at least the one set to potentially displace the second), and to change voice patterns to suit your preferences. But yeah, you shouldn't seriously use the chair as the way to guide your character's inclinations, even for casual play guardian's just kind of garbage and needs to be dumped.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Neat, not sure if she's still a ranger in your game or not. She's currently a warrior in my game... though she isn't quite effective as it as I was :(

Think in the end she might totally become a strider.

Yeah, still ranger. Since I'm switching to magick archer I think I'm going to have mine be my tank as a fighter. She'll have some great stats/augments from having done ranger/war.

Audioboxer

RPGFan's Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen review

I don't think i've ever disagreed more with a review in my life than with this one...

It's a crime to gloss a review and go to the score (I will now read it all), but my initial shock, 60%, WTF?!

Dragons Dogma is literally one of the best games I've played this generation. I know, /opinions, but it genuinely does do so much right in the world of AAA, playing it safe, and sequels galore.

Being critical of it's flaws, and it does share a nice plate full, I'd struggle to see how anyone who enjoys fantasy/combat and exploring would go under a 7, and that's being harsh. I would consider 7.5/8 to be the low tier.

Tomodachi

RPGFan's Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen review

I don't think i've ever disagreed more with a review in my life than with this one...

Just like Joystiq's review, he played 15 hours and then wrote it. Well, at least he admitted to it, Joystiq's reviewer pretended to have finished the game, something clearly not true.
I'll admit my first impression of the game was very similar to those of these reviews, especially Joystiq's (RPGFan's is definitely worse, "a first generation PS3 game"? Woah, it's simply inconceivable people get paid to write this kind of rubbish). Hell, basically every gaffer's positive opinion I've read about the game was on the same lines, game starts between bad and "weird", then gets progressively better/awesomer/GOTY, depending on how they liked it.

The fact is you can't judge an 80+ hours long RPG on the first 10-15 hours and that is especially true for a complex, peculiar, totally unbalanced (be that a fault or a value) game like DD. I'm glad I sticked to it instead of dropping it after 10 hours like those game journalists have done.

sublimit

Banned
It's a crime to gloss a review and go to the score (I will now read it all), but my initial shock, 60%, WTF?!

Dragons Dogma is literally one of the best games I've played this generation. I know, /opinions, but it genuinely does do so much right in the world of AAA, playing it safe, and sequels galore.

Being critical of it's flaws, and it does share a nice plate full, I'd struggle to see how anyone who enjoys fantasy/combat and exploring would go under a 7, and that's being harsh. I would consider 7.5/8 to be the low tier.

I think everyone who loves DD was aware of its flaws ever since the original came out but the game also did many things right otherwise everyone would have just forgotten about it.And not to mention that DA already seems to have improved some of its flaws.

It's like the reviewer for whatever reason didn't really gave the game a chance.The review feels as if he played just for an hour or two (he said he didn't finished the game and he didn't bothered with BBI) without really trying to understand what the game was about.

I don't have a problem with different opinions but i feel that when someone writes a professional review he should really try to get the most from what a game can give in order to judge it properly.A reviewer should not be a fan (who can simply move on without finishing a game if he/she doesn't like it.)

sublimit

Banned
But i think he expected the game to hold his hand and the game didnt and it shows in that review

Yeah and this is more evident when he starts describing the combat:
" The game features a very soft lock-on mechanism, meaning your character should gravitate towards enemies when attacking. Unfortunately, this soft lock is more of a suggestion. I battled the air between my enemies more than anything else, my slashes finding empty space rather than flesh."

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Just finished the main quest line at lvl 43 and thought the whole final quest was absolutely brilliant. Great battle and then went straight back to Gran Soren and continued with the first quest there. I'm now in Everfall getting my ass handed to me by a type of monster I never even saw in the main game and barely scratching him.

I presume I have taken a wrong turn somewhere and need to get the hell out of dodge quickly?

Itsfunny because the previous rpg fan review for the vanilla game was harsh but did feel somewhat fair.
I do not recall anything even as bad as that one.

Because DD is not a perfect game but doesnt deserve this.

phierce

Just finished the main quest line at lvl 43 and thought the whole final quest was absolutely brilliant. Great battle and then went straight back to Gran Soren and continued with the first quest there. I'm now in Everfall getting my ass handed to me by a type of monster I never even saw in the main game and barely scratching him.

I presume I have taken a wrong turn somewhere and need to get the hell out of dodge quickly?
If you're in Lament, yes, get the hell out. If you're elsewhere, describe the monster so we have something to go on?

All of Everfall (minus Lament) is doable at your level. Some chambers are more difficult than others, but still doable. You may just need to farm some gear from different Everfall chambers before you can clear them all.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
If you're in Lament, yes, get the hell out. If you're elsewhere, describe the monster so we have something to go on?

Spherical tentacled beast with a large central eye and multiple worm arms. Appears to be a dark/cursed version which I presume means its tougher than a standard. Im in a large spherical chamber which resembles a colliseum.

phierce

Spherical tentacled beast with a large central eye and multiple worm arms. Appears to be a dark/cursed version which I presume means its tougher than a standard. Im in a large spherical chamber which resembles a colliseum.
lol...awesome description, but yeah, just another evil eye. He is a pain in the ass the first time/few times you kill him.

IF you're wanting to clear Everfall (which I would suggest at least once), I would recommend clearing some of the other chambers and gearing up a bit since you're struggling with the above mob.

Also, if you have the money (a reason to clear Everfall if not), there are two vendors down in Everfall who sell some top gear.

The wiki has a fairly detailed Everfall section. It lists all the chambers, along with all chests/loot and which mobs are in each chamber.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
lol...awesome description, but yeah, just another evil eye. He is a pain in the ass the first time/few times you kill him.

IF you're wanting to clear Everfall (which I would suggest at least once), I would recommend clearing some of the other chambers and gearing up a bit since you're struggling with the above mob.

Also, if you have the money (a reason to clear Everfall if not), there are two vendors down in Everfall who sell some top gear.

The wiki has a fairly detailed Everfall section. It lists all the chambers, along with all chests/loot and which mobs are in each chamber.

Looking at the Wiki it seems I landed on the Confusion floor. Didn't even see an Evil Eye during my run through the game but I never entered Soulflayer Canyon so that may be why.

Feeling hugely underpowered so I may try to ferrystone out if thats possible and start from the 1st floor.

phierce

Looking at the Wiki it seems I landed on the Confusion floor. Didn't even see an Evil Eye during my run through the game but I never entered Soulflayer Canyon so that may be why.

Feeling hugely underpowered so I may try to ferrystone out if thats possible and start from the 1st floor.
Umm...so you didn't kill the evil eye when you first got to Everfall post-dragon? If not, you have to kill an evil eye first before all the other chambers will open up.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
I landed in Everfall, met quince and entered this chamber with broken stone coffins and a couple of NPC's and then went straight into a huge room with this evil eye in it. I am doing no damage though with dragon forged equipment and the daggers/longbow the Dragon dropped.

Maybe i need to go back out into the world and level up a bit revisiting dungeons before having another crack at it?

Dresden

I landed in Everfall, met quince and entered this chamber with broken stone coffins and a couple of NPC's and then went straight into a huge room with this evil eye in it. I am doing no damage though with dragon forged equipment and the daggers/longbow the Dragon dropped.

Maybe i need to go back out into the world and level up a bit revisiting dungeons before having another crack at it?

No, with those weapons you should be good to go. Just kill the tentacles and hit it when it's down or the barrier is gone.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I have the quest to kill the undead warriors... and my kill count isn't going up anymore. Anyone run up against this?

Sure you're killing wars instead of regular undead? They spawn at night by the quarry, and your pawns will specifically call them out as undead warriors

YoungOne

I must say capcom did an execelent job with the dragons in this game. Thier movements and the speaking they do in that wyrm language all top notch. Grigori is such a good speaker with a bad ass voice to boot.

phierce

Yeah, you should be fine with that gear, and as Dresden said, it has a barrier. It won't take any damage while the barrier is active, and that is why it seems like you're doing zero damage.

You can deal damage while it attacks (barrier is down while it attacks) and by damaging the tentacles.

Pro tip: weak to holy.

I'm an expert

Hm, don't remember if I had that one. The quarry one is outside the quarry entrance by the miner's hut. The only thing I can think of is you're killing undead, not undead warriors. Otherwise..not sure..

Top Bottom