• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Thanks!

So the chamber of confusion cannot be revisited, can the others? Reason I ask is I kept reloading until I managed to get Crimson Plate from the confusion chests (knew I couldn't go back). What about the Chamber of Anxiety/the rest?

Can I keep farming them or is it one chance at the chest again?

Yeah, Confusion is the only one that can't be revisited.

The other 15 chambers are always available after leaving Confusion.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
After about forty hours in I have to say this game is pretty barren, lifeless, flabby, and paceless. There are some good parts but you are wasting a lot of time not doing very much.

How do I push the main quest. I've killed the Griffon, I met in the Princess Tower, I've got a Level 36 character but now I mostly want to make progress. I've been sent to The Catacombs two separate times but don't feel any more close to finishing the game.

Who do I talk to go get this show moving?

You crazy. Though, through this gen specifically I've learned there's gamers who like their hand held and gamers that like being thrown to the wolves. This game throws you out and pisses all over you. I love it.

Ferrio

Banned
You crazy. Though, through this gen specifically I've learned there's gamers who like their hand held and gamers that like being thrown to the wolves. This game throws you out and pisses all over you. I love it.

I'll have to disagree. This game isn't much of a challenge so far in my play through. The only "challenge" is some of the side quests that aren't quite clear.. but since they're optional it doesn't affect difficulty. I hardly see how this game throws you to the wolves.

Least on normal difficulty.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'll have to disagree. This game isn't much of a challenge so far in my play through. The only "challenge" is some of the side quests that aren't quite clear.. but since they're optional it doesn't affect difficulty. I hardly see how this game throws you to the wolves.

Least on normal difficulty.

I definitely didn't mean in terms of difficulty, though this game is not the only game that has weak difficulty balance. I'm actually pretty disappointed with this gen's output of "hard" games. Dragon Age Origins on Nightmare was as good as it got. With a bit of research it's obvious this game needs hard mode to have any semblance of challenge. You can feel that at about 15 levels in.

I was talking more about the open-ended structure and not having the game beat you over the head with GO HERE or DO THIS or LONG TUTORIAL OF SYSTEM TIME. Out of my 40 hours with the game, probably 2 have been story quests with the other 38 being nothing but side quests and exploring the world.

Recall

So I spent forever getting to a fort for a side quest now its dark and I'm getting destroyed on the journey back. Level 56 pawns dying pretty quickly.

So wish fast travel even with a gold cost attached to was viable or setting up camp. People are saying this is an easy game? I must just suck at it.

I'm an expert

So I spent forever getting to a fort for a side quest now its dark and I'm getting destroyed on the journey back. Level 56 pawns dying pretty quickly.

So wish fast travel even with a gold cost attached to was viable or setting up camp. People are saying this is an easy game? I must just suck at it.

Fast travel is viable.. you basically can setup camp, port back to a city, port back to your camp and continue. Advance the story a bit. After the wyrm hunt quests you'll have four port crystals which is all you really need.

Ok guys a bunch of questions for a new player :) So far I'm lvl 14 (Strider) as is my main Pawn. (Warrior)

1. I wanted to check on some pawns and noticed the ones I got with me are still at the same lvl so I exchanged my mage and made a mistake... My old pawn had healing, the new one does not... And I'm finding it a big deal so far :/ Can I teach my new pawn healing or should I go and try to find a pawn with healing in stead.

2. This vocation lvl what is it and how does it increase?

3. Should I be looting every grass straw that I see and picking up every wolf pelt I come across? Are they of any use?

4. When buying skills... will I be able to get them all or should I try and find myself a "build" I should follow?

5. Should I be changing my pawns often?

I'm an expert

Ok guys a bunch of questions for a new player :) So far I'm lvl 14 (Strider) as is my main Pawn. (Warrior)

1. I wanted to check on some pawns and noticed the ones I got with me are still at the same lvl so I exchanged my mage and made a mistake... My old pawn had healing, the new one does not... And I'm finding it a big deal so far :/ Can I teach my new pawn healing or should I go and try to find a pawn with healing in stead.

2. This vocation lvl what is it and how does it increase?

3. Should I be looting every grass straw that I see and picking up every wolf pelt I come across? Are they of any use?

4. When buying skills... will I be able to get them all or should I try and find myself a "build" I should follow?

5. Should I be changing my pawns often?

1. Your pawn you can customize as you please. The two you hire cannot have their abilities changed. It's up to you to read through pawn details to see their abilities, gear, and inclinations and choose which one suits you. You can change pawns anytime for free (unless you hire high level non-friend pawns) so it's not an issue to replace a pawn you don't like.

2.Vocation level is what unlocks new abilities and augments from that class. Most people assume it levels up from discipline points, which are gotten from gaining experience points. Once you reach max vocation rank, you've unlocked for purchase every ability the class has.

3. The stuff you can loot in the environment is useful for curatives and crafting but is essentially infinite/respawning so you do not have to loot every single thing every time you see it. You'll get a feel for it. Also, inventory management is a must.

4. You can switch classes and buy skills/augments as much as you like. Augments are useable across all classes, and any skills that overlap (say ingle from mage/sorcerer) won't have to be bought again if you're using those classes. The fun of the game is experimenting with classes, finding one that you like, and picking augments that strengthen that class. For example, you like sorcerer, but you play and vocation rank up mage because the mage has magic augments that would help your sorcerer, and because it lets you try a new class/playstyle. This isn't required. If you want to just play one class the whole game and never switch, by all means.

5. Yes, the pawns you hire do not level and as a result they should be replaced when you feel they're not really adding much benefit. On the other hand, it's not required to hire certain level pawns or to hire pawns at all. You can hire lower level pawns to increase the difficulty of the game, or not hire any and really increase the difficulty. The game is flexible that if you want to run a 2 man team, 3 man team, or even solo, you can. But, in general, if you hired some pawns when you were level 30 and now you're level 40, it makes sense to rehire some pawns that are around your level.

Thanks mate you helped me a lot!

Just one more question do augments or skills carry over to other vocations? Like I could heal as warrior?

I'm an expert

Thanks mate you helped me a lot!

Just one more question do augments or skills carry over to other vocations? Like I could heal as warrior?

Not skills. Only augments. Augments you can move around the classes. If you want to use your "reduce cast times" augment on your war, you can, and it would be dumb, but you can. But if you take your "reduce cast times" augment and put it on your mystic knight, a class that casts spells, well you've made your MK better.

Skills/abilities are tied to the class you are. As I mentioned above, if you play a mage or a sorcerer, they both have the spell ingle (fire). If you bought it while you were a mage, you don't have to buy it again as a sorcerer, so you save dp, but it's not that you're using skills from another class, that skills is just "shared" because they both have it.

The real benefits of leveling up various vocations are 1. gaining stat growth specific to that class and 2. gaining augments from that class, essentially like sharing job skills in FF Tactics.

Dyno

Nah son. When I got tired of kicking tumbleweeds in Dragon's Dogma I went back to Dark Souls and made my DD character for laughs. The difference in overall quality is night and day.

This game is quite empty. Gran Soren has three shops and a barber. Nothing interesting has happened in town. If I go out into the world I get to kill goblins or bandits, maybe some wolves or harpies. Killing cyclops and griffens and manticores was great. What's next? Killing another cyclops, maybe another griffen?

This game lacks momentum. This world has been put together in a rush. It's by no means hard, just tedious.

I'm an expert

Nah son. When I got tired of kicking tumbleweeds in Dragon's Dogma I went back to Dark Souls and made my DD character for laughs. The difference in overall quality is night and day.

This game is quite empty. Gran Soren has three shops and a barber. Nothing interesting has happened in town. If I go out into the world I get to kill goblins or bandits, maybe some wolves or harpies. Killing cyclops and griffens and manticores was great. What's next? Killing another cyclops, maybe another griffen?

This game lacks momentum. This world has been put together in a rush. It's by no means hard, just tedious.

I sure as fuck didn't say it was better than Dark Souls. This game is an open world game though, moreso than Dark. There's as much momentum as there is an TES game, that is, you create the momentum. You can fuck around for hours and ignore the main story as much as you want. Or, if you want to, you can just advance the main story. Have you killed the Dragon and got to the second part of the game? If not, I think you're making a grave mistake judging the game on the beginning half.

Either way, if you don't like it, ah well.

Tomodachi

BBBI is souring my memories of the game. What's the suggested level for it? Because it's full of enemies that go down in a couple hits and others that take forever to bring down. Some of the original game's issues are even more evident in Dark Arisen, for example the fact that some monsters must be killed with magic. If my favourite class is Fighter, why should I bother with magic? That's what pawn are for though, and that's why you should always have a balanced party. Except pawns are TOO DAMN unreliable, good lord... they can't avoid attacks, mage stand in the middle of the battleground while casting, it's a mess. That's wasn't that bothersome because all around DD wasn't a hard game, you just had to get to level 30 before engaging the hardest enemies and that was that. BBI is hard as fuck even at level 80 with monsters that kill you with one hit. Difficulty calibration is all over the place, they have to really rethink some of those mechanics in the sequel.

With my dragonforged Dragon's Dogma (the sword) I can barely scratch the final boss's skin, it think it could take an hour to bring him down (that is, if some stupid healing pawn don't get sucked in his vortex like usual)... any hint?

Also, huge disappointment at no new trophy set for DA, thet would have been really cool.

twelver

BBBI is souring my memories of the game. What's the suggested level for it? Because it's full of enemies that go down in a couple hits and others that take forever to bring down.

Yeah at level 70 I'm having to play big cheese in order to progress, like standing inside corridors that big guys can't get through and shooting, or finding some unreachable place up high and firing down from above. Most things 1 hit KO me.

Not skills. Only augments. Augments you can move around the classes. If you want to use your "reduce cast times" augment on your war, you can, and it would be dumb, but you can. But if you take your "reduce cast times" augment and put it on your mystic knight, a class that casts spells, well you've made your MK better.

Skills/abilities are tied to the class you are. As I mentioned above, if you play a mage or a sorcerer, they both have the spell ingle (fire). If you bought it while you were a mage, you don't have to buy it again as a sorcerer, so you save dp, but it's not that you're using skills from another class, that skills is just "shared" because they both have it.

The real benefits of leveling up various vocations are 1. gaining stat growth specific to that class and 2. gaining augments from that class, essentially like sharing job skills in FF Tactics.

Thanks a lot! So you kinda can't screw yourself (as I masterfully tend to do in every game)?
What is a max lvl ?

Revan

BBBI is souring my memories of the game. What's the suggested level for it? Because it's full of enemies that go down in a couple hits and others that take forever to bring down. Some of the original game's issues are even more evident in Dark Arisen, for example the fact that some monsters must be killed with magic. If my favourite class is Fighter, why should I bother with magic? That's what pawn are for though, and that's why you should always have a balanced party. Except pawns are TOO DAMN unreliable, good lord... they can't avoid attacks, mage stand in the middle of the battleground while casting, it's a mess. That's wasn't that bothersome because all around DD wasn't a hard game, you just had to get to level 30 before engaging the hardest enemies and that was that. BBI is hard as fuck even at level 80 with monsters that kill you with one hit. Difficulty calibration is all over the place, they have to really rethink some of those mechanics in the sequel because.

With my dragonforged Dragon's Dogma (the sword) I can barely scratch the final boss's skin, it think it could take an hour to bring him down (that is, if some stupid healing pawn don't get sucked in his vortex like usual)... any hint?

Also, huge disappointment at no new trophy set for DA, thet would have been really cool.

The same damn thing happened to me. I'd just plat'ed the game and gotten to right our front of where Daimon 1.0 is and posted a few pages back that it BBI sucked the wind outta my sails with the game.

4 rooms and damage sponges I think is what I said. Someone told me to at least finish it, as you get BBI Level 3 gear that really changes the difficulty of the game to a much more manageable status.

I've gone from a Level 98 Assassin to a Level 136 Assassin in DA (and getting the plat at the same time) and yes, whomeever it was said just finish it and then walked away afterwards was right - it DOES get easier when you finally kill him and open up post-game BBI.

Keep at it man.

As for not doing any damage - if you can farm offline Ur-Dragon for the Ascalon. That should make a world of difference (You'll want higher then DF weapon level status unfortunately) against Daimon. Also - Conqueror's Periapt will do wonders. They stack 4 at a time - get on top of Daimon, use the Conqueror's Periapt (up to 4) and wail away on his head. He should drop pretty quickly.

Tomodachi

The same damn thing happened to me. I'd just plat'ed the game and gotten to right our front of where Daimon 1.0 is and posted a few pages back that it BBI sucked the wind outta my sails with the game.

4 rooms and damage sponges I think is what I said. Someone told me to at least finish it, as you get BBI Level 3 gear that really changes the difficulty of the game to a much more manageable status.

I've gone from a Level 98 Assassin to a Level 136 Assassin in DA (and getting the plat at the same time) and yes, whomeever it was said just finish it and then walked away afterwards was right - it DOES get easier when you finally kill him and open up post-game BBI.

Keep at it man.

As for not doing any damage - if you can farm offline Ur-Dragon for the Ascalon. That should make a world of difference (You'll want higher then DF weapon level status unfortunately) against Daimon. Also - Conqueror's Periapt will do wonders. They stack 4 at a time - get on top of Daimon, use the Conqueror's Periapt (up to 4) and wail away on his head. He should drop pretty quickly.
I'll try that later today, thanks. I think I have an Ascalon in the inventory, I take it Daimon is weak to light? Will keep that in mind.

maomaoIYP

I'm pretty sure he is resistant to everything except brute strength, but I could be mistaken.

So how does Sorc or MA deal with him then??

Daimon is weak to Holy. Sorcs wreck him using holy focused bolt. MAs can use ninefold.
If you're trying to kill Daimon with a weapon that's not at least something that's an Ur-dragon drop which has been silver forged you're probably going to have a hard time. Try to get some lv 2 curse weapons, and then at least silver forge those. One of the lvl 2 cursed one handed swords is the cursed light, which is holy affinity.

I'm an expert

Thanks a lot! So you kinda can't screw yourself (as I masterfully tend to do in every game)?
What is a max lvl ?

Also is it better to change vocations often in order to level up different stats or max one, than another and so on?

You can't really screw yourself, but if you decide to play fighter/war the entire game and then switch to magick archer, you will definitely be at a disadvantage with your magic stat. The max cap is 200 so it's certainly possible to mess around with every vocation, but you can also technically skew your stats a certain way if you stay a vocation for a long time.

It's better to do..do what you want. If you like playing focused characters, or jack of all trades characters, or min/maxed characters, you can do all of that.

Ferrio

Banned
My pawn up to lvl 41, currently a strider. Doubt I'll change her class again, least anytime soon since I'm happy with the augments she has now. Changed her secondary inclination to Utilitarian, hopefully she'll use her support skills more. Also is there anyway to make them favor one weapon over the other? I'd like her to use daggers more, but I don't want to take away her bow completely.

Also Enhanced her skimpy wear to offset the fact that barely anything is covering her.

Tomodachi

I wasted all my rift points repairing riftstones, what's the best way to grind them? Those cursed items won't purify themselves... :/

Recall

All pawns cost millions of RC. I only have 2 people on my friends list with pawns and they are not very good. Should I just rely on the in game pawns?

Ferrio

Banned
All pawns cost millions of RC. I only have 2 people on my friends list with pawns and they are not very good. Should I just rely on the in game pawns?

Pawns only cost RC if they're above your level. Just search for pawns your level or lower.

gioGAF

I'm in the process of trying to do all non-notice board quests and building up my pawn. Here are the details, just in case someone is interested in hiring her:

Pawn: Isabel (PSN: Akuma_818)
Level: 76
Vocation: Sorcerer
Inclination(s): Scather / Challenger

Hopefully I can get some Rift Crystals, Bestiary Knowledge and/or feedback from you on how to improve her. I can take your pawn out in my travels as well.

I'm only using five basic spells at the moment: Ingle, Frigor, Levin, Comestion and Miasma. I haven't upgraded any spell because once you upgrade, there is no way to make your pawn use just the basic version again. I will wait until I am able to test all spells out thoroughly with my Arisen to see what or if I would want to upgrade something. I have to consider if the additional cast time of "High" spells is worth the extra damage. It might just be overkill, considering I'm trying to make my pawn a max magic attack sorcerer.

This game is striking all the right notes with me thus far, though I'm a bit apprehensive about some of the "CRAPCOM" decisions within BBI. The whole reliance on Rift Crystals to purify "Bitterblack Armor/Novelty/Weapon" so that you can receive a random NON-TRADEABLE item stinks. Seems like they are trying to push their garbage Rift Crystal pack DLC down your throat.

Skilletor

Yeah at level 70 I'm having to play big cheese in order to progress, like standing inside corridors that big guys can't get through and shooting, or finding some unreachable place up high and firing down from above. Most things 1 hit KO me.

Really?

I'm level 70 with pretty shit gear and the only things destroying me are the monsters that like carrion.

Vitanimus

So after alternating between strider, ranger and assassin since beginning the game, I've switched to Sorcerer to get some magick stat points to make playing as a magic archer a bit more viable. Too bad my magic stat sucks, levelling up is gonna be hard!

Revan

Daimon is weak to Holy. Sorcs wreck him using holy focused bolt. MAs can use ninefold.
If you're trying to kill Daimon with a weapon that's not at least something that's an Ur-dragon drop which has been silver forged you're probably going to have a hard time. Try to get some lv 2 curse weapons, and then at least silver forge those. One of the lvl 2 cursed one handed swords is the cursed light, which is holy affinity.

Thanks for this - I haven't gotten to Daimon 2.0 yet and wasn't sure about his weakness/resistances.

phierce

C'mon, man...

Check the very first page of this OT and there's a link to a google doc with many names on it. Enter them on your system of choice, send the request and boom, instant free pawns for life!

Just finished the game!

The post game....that sure escalated quickly! Actually finding it much more enjoyable.

I'm currently level 45 and understand closer to 70 is ideal for the dark arisen sections. Should I bail out of what I'm doing post game and give it a go, continue to grind or go into NG+?

I need to hire the pawns of some GAFers to repay some favours (especially phierce and Eusis, who so kindly gifted me lvl 2 and 3 cursed items!) but my problem is that I'm only level 55, and hiring level 120 or 170 pawns means I don't get much XP, which in turn makes it harder for me to not be level 55 :)

Is there an ideal way to manage this? I want to level up a fair bit before making a serious assault on BBI, but I also want to get the rift crystals flowing to those high level pawns.

Ferr986

Well, finally got Dark Arisen on 360.

Fast question: should I install both disc, or just with disc 2 is enough?

EDIT: Heh, forget it, seeing as the 2nd disc is only 1,5 GB Im sure I'll have to install both.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
After many days of studying for a cert at work and gaming in between sessions - storing every piece of lvl 3 gear i could find and waiting till i built up a nice RC stash to do them all ... I have fucking completely lucked out on ANY new assassin rings.
I sware... godsbane... and decide i'll try my 5 lvl 3 weapons and 2 armor pieces and see if ANYTHING is new...
5 Darkening Storms and 2 Boots of shadow. I am as close as I have ever been to breaking a controller.

Who wants this shit?

p.s. If anyone ... absolutely anyone.. can please donate lvl3 gear to me so i can get my fucking rings ... i'll love you forever. PSN: silkysm00th - Pawn name Vimes ..

RAGE

Edit:
I need to hire the pawns of some GAFers to repay some favours (especially phierce and Eusis, who so kindly gifted me lvl 2 and 3 cursed items!) but my problem is that I'm only level 55, and hiring level 120 or 170 pawns means I don't get much XP, which in turn makes it harder for me to not be level 55 :)

Is there an ideal way to manage this? I want to level up a fair bit before making a serious assault on BBI, but I also want to get the rift crystals flowing to those high level pawns.

Switch up playing with your group of pawns and playing completely solo. Release your hired thugs and throw your life partner in a river then get to killing. Be safe and you'll be making up for a lot of lost time as you won't be splitting/sharing at all. It makes a noticeable difference especially before you crack 100.

haikira

On the PS3 version of Dark Arisen, if you highlight the disc on the PS3 XMB it'll play a short loop of music. Does anyone know what track that small sample belongs to? I really like it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Quick question about my BBI exploration.

I bypassed the gorecyclops, when should I take it on? I managed to kill the Gazer and the cursed dragon last night. How much left of BBI is there for me?

How do you play BBI, it seems to get deeper and deeper, do you just keep heading down? How many rift stones are there to repair? I found two so far.

Does anyone else go nuts trying to balance all the curatives to walk around with? So fight take a ton, but they weigh so much. Is there a secret bag of holding I'm missing?

On the PS3 version of Dark Arisen, if you highlight the disc on the PS3 XMB it'll play a short loop of music. Does anyone know what track that small sample belongs to? I really like it.

Is actually a modified version of a track that plays at the end of BBI. I won't spoil when though.

Finally killed daimon version 1, now trudging my way through to face him again. With my gold forged ascalon I pretty much owned him with no effort. I guess we'll see how hard be is in round 2.

Got some nice level 3 Armor as well as the sapfire daggers. Un upgraded they kill dragons vein, it's actually a bit embarrassing.

Also for weapons like dragons faith, can it even be upgraded?

Top Bottom