• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

TentPole

Wasn't the worst of the framedrops in PS3 in battles though?

Not in my experience. It was mostly while in the city or while the game was loading in a new area. That being said there are drops when a bunch of sorcerer's are going to town with all of the spell effects. Don't get me wrong, the frame rate is pretty bad but that is true of both versions and there isn't really much of a difference. The tearing is far more dramatic a difference.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Usually they'll warn you before all your current quests are about to get wiped when you progress in the main quest - the only exception to that being when you complete your first visit to the Everfall. What they don't warn you about are quests that you haven't accepted yet being wiped. The only way to combat that is to travel between all the towns every one in a while. That, or consult a wiki.

Oh, if they warn me, that's fine. I tend to go back and forth between towns before going into a new area anyway.

Ok, yeah, I do remember the hitches and drops in town. Stuff like that doesn't bother me in the slightest (obviously since i barely remembered it). Town can be 15FPS for all I care, just make sure it's smooth when I fight.

I'm pretty sure the install on my ps3 is taking longer than the download did. I'm ready for next gen.

Here's a funny question, maybe someone can test it out.

If you have a save file from the "Adventure Demo" that was on PS3 that is compatible with the Vanilla Dragon's Dogma. Is this save file good enough to get the bonuses on Dark Arisen if I never had the Vanilla copy for PS3? I only played it on Xbox, and wondering if the save file from the demo is enough to get me the infinite ferrystone on PS3.

Eusis

Playing the 360 version installed in 720p is probably the best way to go.

I can definitely tell a decent difference in framerate for the PS3 version.
I definitely think this is YMMV, the FPS isn't exactly a stable 30 on 360 anyway so I'd rather take the slightly lower FPS over the screen tearing.

Eusis

This is seriously making my decision even harder :/
Honestly, probably the REAL best suggestions are to consider which controller you like best for this and which platform has more DD playing friends, as you can summon friend pawns for free. Though I'd generally been avoiding that because I got some level 100+ ones on my PSN list and I don't want to TOTALLY trash the difficulty just yet... even if I am keeping the gear some guy outfitted my pawn with.

On that note, if you want the possibility of getting great gear way ahead of time for your pawn make a female one.

klee123

Yeah, this is one game where if Capcom doesn't bother with a PC port, I wouldn't mind seeing a release on the PS4/X720.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

If you have a save file from the "Adventure Demo" that was on PS3 that is compatible with the Vanilla Dragon's Dogma. Is this save file good enough to get the bonuses on Dark Arisen if I never had the Vanilla copy for PS3? I only played it on Xbox, and wondering if the save file from the demo is enough to get me the infinite ferrystone on PS3.
Oh that's a good question. I have a save from that, too.

Eusis

Wonder if you'll be able to eventually buy the infinite ferry stone? I hope so, it doesn't really seem fair to give something like that ONLY to people who played the original, at least make it a NG+ bonus.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I ended up getting a fresh character up to level 60 in vanilla, which is a bit higher than I was planning to go but should be fine since it's hard mode. I'm ready to head for Bitterblack as soon as Dark Arisen arrives.

On that note, if you want the possibility of getting great gear way ahead of time for your pawn make a female one.

From a purely utilitarian standpoint this is a good suggestion in general. Female pawns seem to get picked up way more often than male pawns, which means more rift crystals and more possibilities of getting items as gifts.

I tell myself that it's because there's that one area of the game where only females aren't attacked on sight and people don't want to put up with the hassle of putting all their pawns in drag.

It's not true. But I tell myself that.

Xenon

I definitely think this is YMMV, the FPS isn't exactly a stable 30 on 360 anyway so I'd rather take the slightly lower FPS over the screen tearing.

It hasn't been that much of a problem for me on the 360. But maybe thats because I am distracted by all the object and character pop-up. It's some worst I've experienced this gen.

Anteater

Would any save work to get the infinite ferrystones and bonus armor? I'm starting over but I want to remake my character with the expansion.

I hope you don't have to actually load the game to get the bonus and it just checks for a system save or something so I could just start a new game from scratch.

Teknoman

I'm missing dangan already.

The "opera" singing isnt really new, since that song was in the original at the actual start menu.

EDIT: Looks like you can restart via hard mode, but keep all experience, items, equipment, and so on? Maybe thats the best for me, since I dont want to lose my character/pawn, but I dont want to just drop into the game where I left off.

Totally forgot what I was doing.

Oh and it just checks for a save, no loading needed. Also the now loading screen is really creepy.

I came in here wondering the same thing. I never played the original, but I'd get the demo first if it bagged me the extras. I kind of doubt it's that easy, but who knows.

Eusis

For the PS3 version, the textures are already installed?
Presumably, or at least streamed on demand. It's a blu-ray game, it has no need for throwing the normal textures onto a different disc, or to cut out the language track.

... Really wonder if dual language would've been the de facto standard if Microsoft just went with a higher capacity disc. We really were half a generation too early for blu-ray as it's been sticking out badly for them ever since 2009 about.

Playing the 360 version installed in 720p is probably the best way to go.

I can definitely tell a decent difference in framerate for the PS3 version.

Yeah, it's all coming down to personal preference. I mean, the tearing isn't great, but it's certainly better than a persistent loss of 3-8 frames. Anybody on the fence just use the old fashioned controller preference. Either that or pick lower overall framerate or screen tearing.

Took 55 minutes to download, but nearly the same amount of time to install. Jeez!

No new trophies in the list, though. Maybe they'll come with the store update tomorrow or something?

Can one of you rush to Gran Soren and check the storehouse for the ferrystone? Or anybody who loaded it up, when did you get the prompt that you got the new items. When you loaded a previous games save or when you fired the game up and it detected the old data?

I came in here wondering the same thing. I never played the original, but I'd get the demo first if it bagged me the extras. I kind of doubt it's that easy, but who knows.

I suppose we'll find out soon, huh? xD

The "opera" singing isnt really new, since that song was in the original at the actual start menu.

EDIT: Looks like you can restart via hard mode, but keep all experience, items, equipment, and so on? Maybe thats the best for me, since I dont want to lose my character/pawn, but I dont want to just drop into the game where I left off.

Oh and it just checks for a save, no loading needed. Also the now loading screen is really creepy.

I miss it so much too.

Also, I thought the original loading screen was scary. Now this new one with the almost human looking face is somehow creepier ;___;

You can start a new game and character and you'll get the save transfer bonuses then? I really want to start over.

Teknoman

Can one of you rush to Gran Soren and check the storehouse for the ferrystone? Or anybody who loaded it up, when did you get the prompt that you got the new items. When you loaded a previous games save or when you fired the game up and it detected the old data?

You can start a new game and character and you'll get the save transfer bonuses then? I really want to start over.

Even if you decide to restart with detected save data on hard mode, all your items and the ferrystone are available to pick up at the first inn.

I just walked out of the house after becoming an arisen (again) with my old character, and picked up all my stuff in storage at the inn before leaving town. Your pawn's equip will be in storage as well.

You get the prompt itself as soon as you pass the title screen.

Even if you decide to restart with detected save data on hard mode, all your items and the ferrystone are available to pick up at the first inn.

I just walked out of the house after becoming an arisen (again) with my old character, and picked up all my stuff in storage at the inn before leaving town. Your pawn's equip will be in storage as well.

Cool, thanks. Only a few more days to go.

So I can just go straight to new game, make a character and still get my infinite ferrystone? Huzzah!

Yeah that's what I decided to do myself. My character was only level 38 so I hope i don't get wrecked.

Yeah, it's all coming down to personal preference. I mean, the tearing isn't great, but it's certainly better than a persistent loss of 3-8 frames. Anybody on the fence just use the old fashioned controller preference. Either that or pick lower overall framerate or screen tearing.
I had a dream last night that I went into this thread and a Dark Arisen PC port had been announced, no joke. I put like 50 hours into DD but I would get a PC version just to not have the game go into cinematic frame rates during big battles. Such a great game with such glaring tech problems not having a PC version is downright criminal.

Screen tearing drives me insane. Glad to be on #teamlowFPS

So starting hard mode with my lvl 38 guy has been not even close to hard. But I'm still very early.

I loved the original game but it got to the point where the combat with 95% of the monsters was trivial and that's when I lost interest. I'm usually not looking for a huge challenge in my games (though the Souls series is a wonderful exception) but I also hate when it's trivial. If after I get to Gran Soren I'm still wrecking guys maybe I'll restart Hard Mode at level 1.

branny

Yeah, I actually get kind of sick with games that have lots of screen tearing, so I had to go with the PS3 version for vanilla. Its "cinematic" framerates weren't optimal, but everything still felt very responsive.

Yeah, I actually get kind of sick with games that have lots of screen tearing, so I had to go with the PS3 version for vanilla. Its "cinematic" framerates weren't optimal, but everything still felt very responsive.

Screen tearing drives me insane. Glad to be on #teamlowFPS

*high-five*

Tearing is one of those things I hope get's completely eliminated with PS4 and onward. It SHOULD NOT be accepted and I fucking hate it whenever I see it.

Sanctuary

Pretty much this.

Dragon's Dogma does things that went out of the safe route that many other RPG's kept doing over and over again, and that breath of fresh air was just what the genre needed.

The combat is so fresh and exciting that every other RPG feels bland in comparison. You are always on your toes, but when the action happens it is like you are in a LOTR movie sequence fighting every fantasy enemy you dreamed about.

The pawns are one of the most helpful AI in every game so far. They do not stand in your way, give you advice when needed and aid you when you are having trouble. It all flows so well that it gives the game a feeling of participating in something epic when the action hits.

The combat is the most interesting thing about the game, and practically the only thing that seperates it from countless other games. But then look at the team that did it from Capgods. They were used to action games.

The pawn system on the other hand isn't revolutionary (but it's progress in the right direction for sure), and the inclinations are an obscure mess that you have to look up on a wiki just to find out exactly what combination will get you what you want. After you finally set them up the way you want, they are relatively decent for AI partners compared to most of what has been offered in other games; but still not really good yet. They still do silly things left and right. What really hampers the good-will feeling though is their dialogue. It almost feels like Capcom forgot to add a checkpoint system to it.

Dragon's Dogma is definitely a mashup of multiple other games, and you always get a sense of already having played it before. That is what is in the way of it having it's own identity. That doesn't mean it's not a good game. It's just not that original. The combat is what saves it entirely. Doesn't matter if the rest of the game is entirely derivative since it's so much fun. Just look at Lords of Shadow for another game that doesn't really have it's own identity (yet), but was still one of the best action adventure games of 2010.

I mostly feel the same way. Honestly, I see the elements of so many games in so many other games now that if I followed that criteria, I doubt I could say I've played more than a dozen games with their own identity in the last 10 years.

The biggest problem is that Gransys just feels like any other super generic midieval world. Look at the TES games. For all of their flaws, you can't really say that they don't have their own standout style. Dragon's Dogma doesn't yet. Look at either of the Souls games. Action Adventure games have been out for decades and they've had similar mechanics, yet the Souls games definitely stand out for a reason. What you seem to be arguing for is a genre. Of course there are going to have to be similarities between games, or else they wouldn't be in the same genre.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Oh neat, PS3 version is only 12 gigs, should be done in 30 mins. I guess I could technically get in an hour this morning if I wanted to.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The psn version also comes with the Strider's Ring Set and the Mage's Ring Set, I'm guessing previous dlc.

Top Bottom