• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Sanctuary

Just read some previous posts about people complaining about gamma or crushed blacks. If you're playing on the PS3, you might not have the display options setup correctly. You need to go through and adjust RGB Full Range, Super-White, and Deep Color Output. If you're getting crushed blacks and you actually tried to calibrate your set (as best as you can without going into the service menu), that's the problem. Or, you just might have a crummy Wal-Mart set.

Just helped my friend setup his new plasma, and he was getting absolutely crushed blacks after we had tweaked everything with the tv itself, in both games and videos until I adjusted those options. If you are playing this game on the 360, and having major issues, I don't know what to tell you. I'm not saying this to validate my plasma (because I can't play fighting games on it without babysitting it), but there was nothing unnatural about the daytime shadows for me on the 360. Nighttime was pretty damn dark, and you needed a lantern to see more than four feet ahead, but that was intentional.

panda21

i wonder if this is playable if you didn't finish the original?

i really enjoyed it but it got super hard towards the end.

those trolls always wrecked me.

if its just a big underground dungeon full of trolls i'm not sure if want

Eusis

Only on the US psn then I assume? I don't see it on the psn site at all for europe, not even in upcoming games.
Yeah, just America, today's the release date and they decided to not make everyone wait until the store updates, whenever that'd be.
At worst you get an upgraded version of that game until you can tackle the new content. And you can immediately NG+, which you might want to do if the late game's giving you that much trouble.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

I'm pretty sure they've said the game is now just a giant arena of trolls. They took out the towns and everything. You just spawn your char with a quest that says "kill troll".

Sanctuary

Yes indeed, the sense of adventure and that 'epic' feeling is nailed so well in this game. The amazing OST just seals the deal.

This just emphasizes the pawn chatter even more :(
The good audio in this game is really, really good. But the bad, is just ultra bad. They let you adjust quite a bit of what you see on screen, so I don't know why they didn't let you adjust how much of a priority pawn speech is. Someone was saying earlier that Capcom supposedly adjusted the pawn triggers though and that it shouldn't be as ear-gougingly painful this time.

We'll see. I mean seriously, the second most memorable thing about the game shouldn't be a negative.

Edit: Nvm

Those who have been following along with Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen news know that it contains an entire island of new content, with lots of crazy new enemies and stuff. But what of the changes to the original game, which is also included in the package? They are indeed numerous, and you’ll find the most notable ones in the following change log! Please note that not all changes are listed, but certainly some juicy ones are. Now then!

Player

-Various attacks and skills for all weapons have been rebalanced for all weapons.

Enemies
-Made the Ur-Dragon corpse's collision boundary smaller so players can now pick up drop items more easily.

-Undead enemies will now come out of the ground with higher defense stats (super armor mode).
-When Saurians die after being knocked down, they will now use a special death animation for when they are on the ground.

-Goblin Shamans will appear in the Witchwood.
-Eliminators will appear on the Tainted Mountain.

-Pyre Saurians will appear on the Tainted Mountain.
-Golden Knights and Silver Knights will appear in the Everfall (before the destruction of Gran Soren).

-Gorecyclopes (condemned type) will appear in the Shadow Fort.
-Living Armor will appear in the Catacombs.

-Wyverns (strong type) will appear at Bluemoon Tower.

-Wyrms (strong type) will appear at the Watergod's Altar.

-Drakes (strong type) will appear in the Everfall after the destruction of Gran Soren.

Pawns
-Adjusted how often pawns will talk by spacing out less important lines; in effect, making them seem to talk less.

-Adjusted and balanced the equipment and skills of all of the high-level pawns that are available to a player when they're playing offline.

-Adjusted how much it costs to hire a pawn that is higher-leveled than yourself down to a more realistic scale.

-Added a Monthly ranking to the pawn's Top Ranked section.

NPCs
-You will not gain Affinity with Assalam simply by talking to him anymore.

Items & Equipment
-Adjusted how much Ferrystones cost and how much they sell for. (Purchase price: 20000 >5000 | Sell price: 3500>1250)

-Adjusted how much Premium Rings and Premium Earrings cost. (Purchase price: 1,500,000>150,000 Rift Crystals | Purchase price 3,000,000>300,000 Rift Crystals)

-Tweaked stat increases for weapon upgrades (increases weaker upgrades, decreases ones that were too strong). Tweaks affect 68 different weapons.

-Dramatically increased base stats for 12 weapons obtainable by defeating the Dragon. 

-Improved base stats for 10 Magick Bows

pahamrick

Guessing you had to pre-order on PSN to get the extra ring dlc? Wasn't planning on grabbing DA right now, so I didn't pre-order but then I found my vanilla DD guide and made me want to play, so just bought DA off PSN but no other items popped up for download with it.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
wow that sounds pretty bad. I don't know if i want to play that

i dunno man as a troll aficionado it sounds pretty fuggin sweet to me

Guessing you had to pre-order on PSN to get the extra ring dlc? Wasn't planning on grabbing DA right now, so I didn't pre-order but then I found my vanilla DD guide and made me want to play, so just bought DA off PSN but no other items popped up for download with it.

I did see something about ring dlc when I preordered it last night but it also had a blurb about not being available till May. Or maybe preorder gets it early while everyone else gets it May? Shrug I dunno, don't care.

teamlowFPS here too

I bought the original game on 360 and I couldnt stand the tearing, so I ended up buying again on PS3

nice to know in advance so I can buy just a third copy

edgefusion

For UK GAF: Dark Arisen is listed as £20 for the disc copy on GAME, is it a similar price for the PSN version? I have it on order from lovefilm but if it's going cheap for a DD copy I'll gladly take the plunge.

drbond

Neo Member

I started fresh from hard mode on the PS3, and progressed my Arisen & Pawn to level 25ish. I had no previous leveling on the PS3 version of DD Vanilla. From there I went directly into Bitterblack Isle (my main on the 360 is level 150ish), just to see how fast I would die.

The bosses are pretty much impossible this early on, but with some good dodges/blocks (in a full group, being this low level), the mobs can be killed. You probably want to be at least level 50. Overall, they have a good variety of mobs within Bitterblack Isle, rather than a wall of goblins & harpies early on like in DD Vanilla.

I really do like the level design they went with this new content. Rather than make it an island within the open-world design of Gransys, they went with a more contained hub-based world.

Bitterblack Isle reminds me a lot of a 3D-esque Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (including tons of secret nooks & item chests accessed via vertical platforming). The de-cursing of the special flagged items, is a neat idea too for this franchise (DD's take on 'item identify' from Diablo; only here its from Orla rather than Deckard Cain).

Guys, please help me!

I'm planning on buying all of the Vanilla DLC prior to playing Dark Arisen - will it work? Are there any known, critical bugs due to incompatibility between the Vanilla DLC and Dark Arisen?

Can't wait to play, thanks.

Guys, please help me!

I'm planning on buying all of the Vanilla DLC prior to playing Dark Arisen - will it work? Are there any known, critical bugs due to incompatibility between the Vanilla DLC and Dark Arisen?

The vanilla dlc is already in the new game ..don't bother buying it you'll waste your money.

Guys, please help me!

Dark Arisen includes all of that DLC anyway; you knew that, right?

I can't remember the last time I wasn't able to find a game in a store on its release date.
For me it was Luigi's Mansion and before that Fire Emblem but that can be explained by Nintendo's involvement. The reason I ask about DA is because I've checked a bunch of websites (Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Gamestop) and so far none of them are showing that the game is in stock today. On top of that I'm wondering how big of a release this game will get since it's not an entirely new game and it's fairly niche.

I'm downloading the demo now and I'll report back in a few hours when I have the game to confirm if the demo save works to get the extras or not since noone seems to know yet.

atomsk

Party Pooper
For me it was Luigi's Mansion and before that Fire Emblem but that can be explained by Nintendo's involvement. The reason I ask about DA is because I've checked a bunch of websites (Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Gamestop) and so far none of them are showing that the game is in stock today. On top of that I'm wondering how big of a release this game will get since it's not an entirely new game and it's fairly niche.

Well gamestop told me I could pick it up at midnight, but I'm far too lazy for that.

I've got another hour till they open up

Rootbeer

Banned
I went with amazon so I probably won't be able to play it until tomorrow since it'll probably arrive at 6 or 7pm like usual :/ But honestly I don't have much free time today so i'll survive.

I'm so glad I waited on this game... was too involved in Skyrim and some other games when it originally came out. Now my schedule is free (except for some 3DS stuff)

How do pawns actually work? Do I have to use online pawns or can I do offline ones?

If you're connected to XBL/PSN you'll choose from pawns created by other players. If you're playing offline you'll be able to choose from game-generated pawns who are basically random assemblages of equipment and skills.

Jaroof

Bought this on impulse, seeing as how it was up on the NA PSN early...
As soon as I booted it up and got back into my game, a huge grin came across my face.
I didn't realize how much I'd missed this game. I can't wait to dive back into this world.

Kade

How do pawns actually work? Do I have to use online pawns or can I do offline ones?

You make a pawn and you can upload it to the Pawn Community for others to use. If you don't want to interact with the online portion of the game at all, you can just use the one you create and hire pawns you see in towns, outposts and in the field.

If you're connected to XBL/PSN you'll choose from pawns created by other players. If you're playing offline you'll be able to choose from game-generated pawns who are basically random assemblages of equipment and skills.

They made it so that the offline pawns aren't that "random" now. You'll be able to find some build at some level that are made for this level & class by capcom

Bought this on impulse, seeing as how it was up on the NA PSN early...
As soon as I booted it up and got back into my game, a huge grin came across my face.
I didn't realize how much I'd missed this game. I can't wait to dive back into this world.

*bro-hug*

I know that feel

JudgeN

Does it have to be a complete save to get the rift crystals and armor pack? Or can it just be any save? I borrowed DD from a friend and created a hard mode save file right at the start of the game.

Top Bottom