• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

man i got like 30 levels from bbi 2.0,
second shortcut up until the end is some crazy shit

3 lv3 weapons, got nothing but 2 staves and a shield

I wanted the sword -_-

Did you try purifying with both you and your pawn as Fighters?

So does having more pawns in your party more less exp for your character or does that only apply if the main pawn is present?

More pawns = less XP, main pawn or not.

Mystic knight gaf: is dirge of madness really better than cursed light? Obviously stats wise it is no question, but you need an enchantment to access all the delicious magic attack you have so what happens to your dps overall when you have no enchant? Does activating the bass cannon include both stats? Because if it does then that's super.

And yeah my pawn is finally awesome. Evening gold forged, Full oblivion, both level 3 strider weapons, 3 level 3 dagger skills etc etc.

I thought removing her skanky clothes would make people hire her less but just in 2 days I'm up over 500k RC (over 1.1 million total). Now I have excess because I don't need to Forge anything other than gear and Armor. I'm going to start sending level 3 weapons gaffers whenever I get them.

Hey. Tried my best to clean up the logos, on one of the images maomaoIYP very kindly provided up above. Don't know how well it turned out, but hopefully it's ok.

Wow, thanks both of you for trying to help!

I was just hoping that the save file art existed somewhere as I thought it make a great desktop wallpaper.

Unfortunately, Death's in-game model isn't quite as awesome-looking as the artwork in the save file art, but nevertheless the resulting image you guys came up with is pretty close, so thank you :)

Ferr986

There are 2 main things as far as I can tell:

Firstly there's selection of type by colour code, red, blue, yellow (hybrids all have a dominant colour, e.g. assassin = yellow same as ranger and strider) based on the player and their main pawns job.

This effect works at time of purification so you can easily godsbane it to get what you want. Just remember that the order of items purified is always fixed, so if you have multiple cursed items of the same level they will always purify in the same order.

This is important as the other part is that the choice you get from the drop depends on from where and when the drop comes. It seems to me direct drop loot from death/daimon will always be one of the rarer pieces, but its probably just random.

Similarly I noticed that I started to get better gear after I had lower level equivalents gold rarified; for example I never saw Framae Blades until I got gold Helmbartes daggers. I also noticed the rare armour sets were always appearing for me in a suspiciously fixed order, with helms and capes dropping before any of the other parts.

Yes, I know that. But I cannot understand why Im only getting the longbow and not the shortbow. I mean, I have 4 of those now. Of my 5 lvl 3 cursed weapons, 4 have been the longbow and 1 the archstaff (I was looking for it so I changed vocations accordly)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ferr986 said:
Yes, I know that. But I cannot understand why Im only getting the longbow and not the shortbow. I mean, I have 4 of those now. Of my 5 lvl 3 cursed weapons, 4 have been the longbow and 1 the archstaff (I was looking for it so I changed vocations accordly)

Class switching can only narrow down the results to 3 possibilities per drop, but the 3 possibilities (from 12 total) are fixed when you pick up the cursed item. I just work on the principle that if the drop I get first time is something I already have, it cannot ever be something different from the same colour class, so I'll swap jobs until it drops anything I dont have.

As I wrote, I think there's some sort of hidden hierarchy in place according to what gear you have already and from where the drop came.

The way dragonforging works might offer a clue in that the more you've upgraded a given piece of gear, the better the likelihood that it will be dragonforged when you kill a dragon-family monster.

I wouldn't get hung up too much on getting lvl3's purified though, in most cases a gold rarified lvl2 equivalent will outmatch them until you have it fully maxed out, which as they typically require Daimon or Death's rare-ass crafting item drops, are not quick and easy to get.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Got PS3 version. Love the game. Getting my ass beat when going to save Quila before going to the Capital ahaha. I have one warrior, one strider, and two mages in my party. Already did that quest back in the tunnels to beat the lizard guys. But yeah.... there's a group of 10+ bandits that's kicking my ass. I even got a better sword for my warrior and nothing. *sniff*

Ferr986

Class switching can only narrow down the results to 3 possibilities per drop, but the 3 possibilities (from 12 total) are fixed when you pick up the cursed item. I just work on the principle that if the drop I get first time is something I already have, it cannot ever be something different from the same colour class, so I'll swap jobs until it drops anything I dont have.

As I wrote, I think there's some sort of hidden hierarchy in place according to what gear you have already and from where the drop came.

The way dragonforging works might offer a clue in that the more you've upgraded a given piece of gear, the better the likelihood that it will be dragonforged when you kill a dragon-family monster.

I wouldn't get hung up too much on getting lvl3's purified though, in most cases a gold rarified lvl2 equivalent will outmatch them until you have it fully maxed out, which as they typically require Daimon or Death's rare-ass crafting item drops, are not quick and easy to get.

Thanks, I finally got it... 3 in a row too lol

dosh

Hey everyone, I made a schematic "map" of Bitterblack for a friend of mine (who has a tendency to get lost pretty fast in games with even a tiny bit of exploration) and I'd be really glad if you could take a look and proofread it.
I'm not sure the areas where Death and cursed dragons can appear are correct. This is where I fought them while playing, so I don't know if they can be found anywhere else.

bitterblack_map.jpg

Thanks.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
End game is kinda weird..didn't realize how Everfall was set up. There's seriously nothing in the game that would tell you this is supposed to be a loot farming dungeon. Every chest I've opened has like a random consumable or maybe a wakestone shard. You'd never guess that oh, the best stuff in the game (non-BBI) is from here. I just run through rooms, clear out a few mobs, pick up some spud juice from chests, and go to the next level. Kinda dumb lol..I'm just gonna buy the armor from the vendors..or maybe just do BBI for the gear to clear Everfall lol.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Allright, I restarted the game, and doing much better now.

I now have a grasp of this game, which takes awhile on these complex rpg's.

I have a question:

My plan is to switch between strider and hunter, strider to level dagger skills, hunter to use the long bow + strider dagger skills. Is that possible?

I have a question:

My plan is to switch between strider and hunter, strider to level dagger skills, hunter to use the long bow + strider dagger skills. Is that possible?

The Ranger hardly has any Dagger skills, common ones and 1 or 2 uniques; they're all about the bow and mid-long range fighting.

Got PS3 version. Love the game. Getting my ass beat when going to save Quila before going to the Capital ahaha. I have one warrior, one strider, and two mages in my party. Already did that quest back in the tunnels to beat the lizard guys. But yeah.... there's a group of 10+ bandits that's kicking my ass. I even got a better sword for my warrior and nothing. *sniff*
Haha, I remember that spot well. It was about the only hurdle in the entire game for me, but I was playing on Normal. I would take out his underlings easily, but the leader would just merk my party. After going through that the rest of the game was smooth sailing.

Revan

I have a question:

The Assassin has arguably the best dagger skills in the game - Masterful Kill (a counter) and Invisibility (you become invincible for a while).

Some of the skills are cross-vocation, like 5 fold flurry (assassin and strider), but most are locked to the vocation themselves.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The Assassin has arguably the best dagger skills in the game - Masterful Kill (a counter) and Invisibility (you become invincible for a while).

Some of the skills are cross-vocation, like 5 fold flurry (assassin and strider), but most are locked to the vocation themselves.

Oh, so I can't use the dagger skills if I switch to hunter?

Damnit.

Thanks.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Only Hundred Kisses, Cutting Wind, and Advanced Trigger carry over to the Ranger.

Then I'm gonna stick to strider, I like having both ranged and melee attacks to mix it up.

Sort of bummed I'll be sticking with one of the starting classes heh =(

Anyways, I stumbled upon the abbey and I'll be doing some undead slaying. I also gave the Ogres a go, but I couldn't even dent them - my pawn had firebuffed my daggers, I jumped on them and flurried non stop at these guys, but their life bar barely moved. I also spotted one of those lion/snake/something hybrids... chimera? in the woods by the abbey.

Jésus Christy.

"Your pawn has returned with fucking 431k RC"

"Oh, ok"

I'm actually going to kill my pawn and not let her level up anymore. 160 range seems perfect for getting RC. Dat sense of pride.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
It's such a dilemma whether or not to spend my money on upgrading my arisen because I feel like I need to use it pimp out my pawn's equipment or she won't get hired as much ( ´_ゝ`)

Revan

Then I'm gonna stick to strider, I like having both ranged and melee attacks to mix it up.

Sort of bummed I'll be sticking with one of the starting classes heh =(

Anyways, I stumbled upon the abbey and I'll be doing some undead slaying. I also gave the Ogres a go, but I couldn't even dent them - my pawn had firebuffed my daggers, I jumped on them and flurried non stop at these guys, but their life bar barely moved. I also spotted one of those lion/snake/something hybrids... chimera? in the woods by the abbey.

Go assassin. You have 4 skill slots - shield, sword, daggers and bow, which you can mix and match (sword/bow or daggers/shield for example).

Revan

I have heard assassins are useless against the ur-dragon, is that true?

Quite the contrary - I can take out the Ur-Dragon solo in under 10 minutes.

Mind you I'm also a level 170 so that might have something to do with it.

The Assassin is probably the most balanced class in the game (it was broken and way over powered in vanilla DD).

Ran outta RC from purifying. Anyone got a Mistletoe Circlet they don't want to toss my way?

But how can you use it when you have no RC hyuck hyuck hyuck the item can't be sent but if I find a level 2 Armor ill keep my eyes peeled for the circlet

Finally got to the top of the tower in fortress of rememberance. All 30 macabre idols fuck yearrt

maomaoIYP

But how can you use it when you have no RC hyuck hyuck hyuck the item can't be sent but if I find a level 2 Armor ill keep my eyes peeled for the circlet

Finally got to the top of the tower in fortress of rememberance. All 30 macabre idols fuck yearrt

Yo man you got a guide for the macabre idols? I never found all 30 in one PT.

jfoul

I'm sending out more random xbl friend invites from the Pawn Google Doc on page one. I'm trying to get everyone from the list added now.

GT: JFoul
Pawn: Andy - 200/∞ Ranger [Mitigator/Challenger]

orion434

Get a bunch of lvl2 and 3 gear. Lvl2's will get you Rings, which upgrade one skill; and lvl3's give you Bands, which upgrade 2.

There is a specific treasure chest that has given me a Bitterblack Gear lv 3 consistently. The first Magik Bowman's Band I get has Magical Gleam / Explosive Rivet... feels bad man!

I don't know exactly what it is, but I'm really enjoying my time through Bitter Black Isle playing as a Magik Archer, then right at level-up time I teleport back to the beginning and switch back to Sorcerer for the +2 Magik Attack. From lv 100 - 200 I can acquire an additional 200 Magik Attack by doing this, for a Magik Archer this is a sizable amount of attack power.

Anteater

I don't think I've gotten much skill upgrades from BBI, I've got a lot of those rings that gives defense and resistance, I only upgraded my sorcerer's meteors skill, and I got like 5 anodyne rings.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I got the the empty town right before the Daemon last night, then ported to the top. At level 73 with so-so gear can I do this? as a Magic Archer, I hear Magic Rebalancer + Demon's Periapt + Ninefold Arrow is a good tactic.

BTW I have yet to kill the Condemned Gorecyclops, I've barely touched it and gave up.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I said eff Everfall and ran into BBI at level 60 instead. Wandered around aimlessly and came out with more loot in 15 mins than I did in 2 hours in Everfall. BBI is a great labyrinth, shame there aren't more like it in the original game.

I got the the empty town right before the Daemon last night, then ported to the top. At level 73 with so-so gear can I do this? as a Magic Archer, I hear Magic Rebalancer + Demon's Periapt + Ninefold Arrow is a good tactic.

BTW I have yet to kill the Condemned Gorecyclops, I've barely touched it and gave up.

Is that the giant chained up cyclops in the circular room? I found that thing getting the void key and totally owned it as a level 60 MA. I just stayed on top of him on the bridges..he couldn't touch me. When I inevitably went down to revive some pawns, we just hung out in the hallway and he couldn't touch us there either. Pretty lame fight.

Anteater

Yea I killed 1.0 at 67, if you're using buff items then he probably shouldn't be too hard.

I'm an expert

So I'm doing the royal orders, once the game is complete do I just farm everfall then eventually BBI?

I'd just skip to BBI honestly. Everfall is a snooze. Just go there for Ur I guess.

I started playing DDDA last week and haven't made it too far, but is playing a mage... boring? I'm not far in and could restart (if that matters) because so far playing as a mage seems a bit more passive than I'd like. And can I magic buff my own weapon? So far the elemental buffs that I have only seem to work on pawns, which is again boring.

Anteater

I started playing DDDA last week and haven't made it too far, but is playing a mage... boring? I'm not far in and could restart (if that matters) because so far playing as a mage seems a bit more passive than I'd like. And can I magic buff my own weapon? So far the elemental buffs that I have only seem to work on pawns, which is again boring.

I think you click on the left analogue stick if you want to target yourself with buffs.

If you want to be more active you could try other classes by switching at the inn at Gran Soren, you don't need to restart, I'm not a big fan of pure mage classes either, try the hybrid classes if you want both magic and melee.

Ferr986

I'm actually going to kill my pawn and not let her level up anymore. 160 range seems perfect for getting RC. Dat sense of pride.

Wondered if I should do this. My pawn is leveling really fast with the constant Daimon runs.

Trying to get the Carrion set. Kind of bored of Daimon already.

dubq

I think I've hit my cap on this! Might change my mind and come back down the road, but I just feel like I've done it all, and then some. =\

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Level 23 assassin, the old mine ogres are kicking my butt.

Managed to kill two, but the last one by the south exit, no way. I can manage to get it down to 15-20% and that's it.

My big problem is that I do almost no damage to them.

I also wandered into the watergod shrine while exploring, neat place. I found 5 tablets that weight 9.5 stones each, I assume there'll be an use for those later?.

Dizzy-4U

Level 23 assassin, the old mine ogres are kicking my butt.

Managed to kill two, but the last one by the south exit, no way. I can manage to get it down to 15-20% and that's it.

My big problem is that I do almost no damage to them.
I did that part yesterday around the same level, assassin too. What I did was to climb his back as soon as I engaged him and hit him in the back of his head. It didn't do great damage, but it kept him distrated and my pawns attacked without danger in the ground.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I did that part yesterday around the same level, assassin too. What I did was to climb his back as soon as I engaged him and hit him in the back of his head. It didn't do great damage, but it kept him distrated and my pawns attacked without danger in the ground.

I'm going with only one pawn. I feel like going with multiple pawns is cheeeap - I did that to get a quest done I was having trouble with and it felt so cheap.

An-Det

I'm currently doing the post-game mission
Fathom Deep, getting the wakestones.
What level do you recommend for turning this in and moving into the point of no return before ng+? I've beaten maybe half of the Chambers in the Everfall, but some of them (like Lament or Apprehension) seem kinda nuts so I haven't tried them yet. Should I be able to beat all of them before moving forward or should I be fine? I'm a level 48 Ranger.

I also wandered into the watergod shrine while exploring, neat place. I found 5 tablets that weight 9.5 stones each, I assume there'll be an use for those later?.

Yeah, you'll need those when a quest sends you to the Watergod Temple later on.

Tenrius

I just got the game. Pretty excited about it! One question before I jump in: which audio language should I use? Is the English dub good? Have to add that I don't understand Japanese and it usually annoys me when some pieces are not subtitled.

English dub is fine in terms of acting, just some choices in terms of writing that strikes some people wrong, and the game repeats phrases far too much. Japanese dub could take care of both of those issues if they start to bother you.

Top Bottom