• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Finished the last ogre. I love what happens when you turn in the quest ;D

Allright, I have 3 major complaints about this game.

a) Limited availability quests: and because no better reason than fuck you, that's why. I don't want to walkthrough this, but this tiny fact keeps me inching closer to the wiki. And the game doesn't even warn you!

b) Itemization. Apparently shop supplies are tied to level and main quest progression? Allrighit, the first one I get it but the second? It's been like 10 levels with the same weapon. I want new loot, but I cannot have it without scouring the gigantic no fast travel map for sidequests or go forward and remove those sidequests. UGH. I've found some items in chests, but they're all available at the shops anyways.

This is what I hate about jrpg's, they're walkthrough only or you are screwed. Speaking about this, is there anything like the Zodiac Spear in this game?

c) Soren is huge, but empty.

Anyways, I'm liking the game, but (besides the things I dislike about) I can't avoid the feeling it's not even halfbaked. Oh well, at least it's getting a sequel of some sorts next gen.

After playing through the main game and having many of the same complaints just listed, and after playing through BBI and thoroughly enjoying it, I hope that Capcom moves away from trying to mimic Skyrim and moves closer to Dark Souls for the next game.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
When's the last chance I can go to BBI during a playthrough? During the post game? Or is it better to get through the dragon and dragonforge my equipment in preparation and do it at the start of NG+?

kaiju

When's the last chance I can go to BBI during a playthrough? During the post game? Or is it better to get through the dragon and dragonforge my equipment in preparation and do it at the start of NG+?

You can head to BBI at any time around levels 60+, but I headed out to BBI after NG+. It is kind of a pain having to run a few quests to get your pawn and change your vocation (if MK/MA/ASS) at the start, but worth it for the
blue skies again
. You'll have to beat the game again anyway if you want the trophy/achievement.

Mobius 1

Just started it, chose rogue as vocation. So far, solid bordering on great.

Went outside at night and was mauled by bandits.

Recall

I'm surprised how few long bows there are in the game, I've been rocking the same one for what feels like forever now.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm not sure if I agree with the people suggesting players skip Everfall and move straight onto BBI, it's quite a jump in difficulty and above all else Everfall farming is the best way to stock up on otherwise rarely found curatives like Liquid Vim.

I'd say Everfall is still worth farming just for the endless supply of Wakestones, at least until NG+ when the warp to the Ur Dragon appears in Cassardis and you have a strong enough character/party to farm the offline version without dying.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Anyways, got a question about pawns.

I'll just do a drive-by rant and complain how my pawn neglects to buff my weapons half the time and consideirng it's a huge damage increase, it seriously hurts.

Anyways, the whole having other people hire my pawn, how does it work. It can happen while i'm playing? can it only happen while I'm offline?

I got a report that someone used my pawn after I slept at the inn, is that when I'll get the reports, after sleeping at an inn?

How does the game chose whicih pawns are available in the rift?

maomaoIYP

I'm not sure if I agree with the people suggesting players skip Everfall and move straight onto BBI, it's quite a jump in difficulty and above all else Everfall farming is the best way to stock up on otherwise rarely found curatives like Liquid Vim.

I'd say Everfall is still worth farming just for the endless supply of Wakestones, at least until NG+ when the warp to the Ur Dragon appears in Cassardis and you have a strong enough character/party to farm the offline version without dying.

I don't agree with jumping straight to BBI as well.

Anteater

Depends what you mean by doing Everfall, it's worth going through a few chambers to get yourself prepared for BBI if it's your first time through.

It gets you wakestones and a few levels, you should definitely get the best weapon you can though since BBI 1.0 had a lot of damage sponges, I went with dragon's dogma and some shit took forever to kill at lvl55, it gets easier as you level and BBI2.0 ended up being much easier.

Recall

At what level should I be for The Final Battle? It's my first play through and also need to know what can I do if I'm under levelled?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm going back and forth between BBI and Everfall..but BBI is way better. I took out the chained cyclops and the big eye with nothing but my gear from the dragon. Not to mention there's so many chests before you even get to a boss that you can get some pretty good gear just from purifying. Personally I'm gearing/leveling up for BBI by being in BBI. So far in Everfall I'm like 9 floors in and all I've found are curatives and a red dragon scale armor I can't even use lol.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Also, if anyone has a good mage pawn in the 70s-80s range I NEED them lol. Just send a friend request.

edit: fack double post instead of edit, sorry

Anyways, the whole having other people hire my pawn, how does it work. It can happen while i'm playing? can it only happen while I'm offline?

I got a report that someone used my pawn after I slept at the inn, is that when I'll get the reports, after sleeping at an inn?
Provided you have your game set to Online, whenever you rest at an Inn you'll get the Accessing Server progress bar as your current pawn status is uploaded. Other people will then be able to hire that most recent version of your pawn.

Other people can hire your pawn whenever they like without it affecting anything for you. In fact multiple people can be using your pawn simultaneously. As you've discovered, whenever you rest at an Inn the game will check to see if your pawn has been released (or died) while being used by someone else, and will give you the RC/gifts/knowledge/etc at that point in time if so.

How does the game chose whicih pawns are available in the rift?
I can't really answer that one. Randomly (to a certain extent) I'd imagine, but based on the search conditions you've set.

I'm an expert

There's a lot of great, unique loot that can only be found in the everfall, something that BBI sorely lacks in.

Are we talkin chests? Cause if we're talkin chests, I've opened at least 30 and found 1 piece of gear..that I couldn't wear. The rest were curatives and shards. I even did the whole godsbane reload business a good 10x on a set of chests and got a few gloves I already had. If that's how you're supposed to get loot in there..meh. Farming bosses is infinitely a better idea, or how BBI handles it with cursed items.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
worldrevolution said:
Are we talkin chests? Cause if we're talkin chests, I've opened at least 30 and found 1 piece of gear..that I couldn't wear. The rest were curatives and shards. I even did the whole godsbane reload business a good 10x on a set of chests and got a few gloves I already had. If that's how you're supposed to get loot in there..meh. Farming bosses is infinitely a better idea, or how BBI handles it with cursed items.

Dont forget that getting a basic piece is only part of the story; you need still need to upgrade and/or dragonforge it, and the dragonkin in BBI are an order of magnitude more difficult than any other area.

Chest loot is only part of the picture, and especially if you are planning to do more on BBI than run straight through to the bosses (all of which unfortunately can be cheesed with enough blast arrows) you will need a lot of curatives and wakestones, especially in tough as nails rooms like Sparyard V2.

maomaoIYP

Farming gear in BBI consists of running to Daimon over and over again, hardly my idea of fun. Everfall has the grisly set, shadow set, twilight set, berserskin, ancient cape, etc. Lots of variety, and if you play without a guide, every room has something different.

Recall

I've killed the dragon/drake near shadowfort a couple of times, are there any other dragons that can be farmed before hitting post game?

I'm an expert

Farming gear in BBI consists of running to Daimon over and over again, hardly my idea of fun. Everfall has the grisly set, shadow set, twilight set, berserskin, ancient cape, etc. Lots of variety, and if you play without a guide, every room has something different.

How do I get all that awesome stuff though..

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I killed the Daemon, what a long fight.

Now my issue is I'm near broke, out of rift crystals with BBI gear I can't uncurse. This makes any gear upgrades hard. I guess I just keep grinding through BBI?

Can anyone explain how dragon forging works? Does it just randomly happen to gear you have equipped when you keel a dragon kin?

maomaoIYP

How do I get all that awesome stuff though..
Use a guide that lists exactly where the ones you want are.... then lots of godsbane or just spend a lot of time in EF.

If I begin a new fresh game is there a way i can send stuff to the new game?

Yes, make an alternate account. Send all the stuff u want to transfer to the alternate account save file, then send it back to your fresh new game. Very time consuming though.

I'm an expert

*Shrug* I actually enjoy the combat diversity in EF....fighting Daimon is very boring.

Combat of any type is great. Having to purposely save, kill yourself, and reload is not a game though.

Tenrius

By the way, is the quote from the beginning supposed to be some sort of commentary on gaming is general? Or is this in reference to the story elements I'm going to learn later on (I'm still in the beginning)?

The quote:

The delightful and ever-novel pleasure of a useless occupation.

Revan

I killed the Daemon, what a long fight.

Now my issue is I'm near broke, out of rift crystals with BBI gear I can't uncurse. This makes any gear upgrades hard. I guess I just keep grinding through BBI?

Can anyone explain how dragon forging works? Does it just randomly happen to gear you have equipped when you keel a dragon kin?

Rift crystal drops are much more common in BBI then the rest of the game. You do need to farm for them however.

As for DF'ing, Grigori is the only dragon that will DF all of your equipped gear, regardless of gears level. All other dragonkin have a 2% chance in a 1 star item - the percentage goes up as the levels go up (meaning you'll have a better chance of DF'ing a 3 star item as opposed to a 1 star item).

Also - the dragonkin will only DF a single item at a time. Grigori is the only one that will do everything all at once.

Ferr986

The Cursed Dragon on BBI have a really high % of DF your gear, even if its not leveled at all.

The online Ur Dragon acts like Grigori too, but yeah... it sucks. The offline Ur have a 30% at lvl 3, but is not worth it now with the Cursed Dragon.

Leezard

Rift crystal drops are much more common in BBI then the rest of the game. You do need to farm for them however.

As for DF'ing, Grigori is the only dragon that will DF all of your equipped gear, regardless of gears level. All other dragonkin have a 2% chance in a 1 star item - the percentage goes up as the levels go up (meaning you'll have a better chance of DF'ing a 3 star item as opposed to a 1 star item).

Also - the dragonkin will only DF a single item at a time. Grigori is the only one that will do everything all at once.
Are you sure?
I'm quite certain that I've gotten several pieces of equipment DF'ed at once by one dragonkin. They were 3 starred, though.

Are you sure?
I'm quite certain that I've gotten several pieces of equipment DF'ed at once by one dragonkin. They were 3 starred, though.

I think wiki days 6/12/18 for pre game dragons but my experience with greater wyrms is that they have higher rates of DF. Obviously cursed Dragon is basically a sure thing at level 3 probably around 80% from my experience

Also my pawn is off the chain. I now have 4 level 3 skills after getting the daggerists band and strider band. She is as good as she can ever be stats and gear wise. I'll retire her for now at 165

Revan

Are you sure?
It is possible that some of the dragonkin in BBI might do more then one.

I've only ever gotten single instances of DF'ing weapons from the dragonkin, both on Gransys and BBI, so YMMV.

Most of what I said came from memory of the DD Wikia.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, went into BBI's first door and saw the
giant cyclops
, one of my hired pawns stupidly aggro'd it for no reason (I was like NO, wtf are you doing) and they climbed to its head and started attacking it. Got one-shot by the club on hard mode at about level 55 lol. Will there be a quest related to it later or can I just try and kill it now?

My biggest gripe so far is how hard it is to get your pawn hired since I started so late, and how uncursing weapons costs RC instead of gold. Haven't had a single hire the entire game whereas I amassed a few million RC in vanilla DD (started new file since I wanted to do hard mode from level 1) :/

The atmosphere in those areas also really feels like dark souls, I'm loving it.

I'm an expert

giant cyclops
, one of my hired pawns stupidly aggro'd it for no reason (I was like NO, wtf are you doing) and they climbed to its head and started attacking it. Got one-shot by the club on hard mode at about level 55 lol. Will there be a quest related to it later or can I just try and kill it now?

My biggest gripe so far is how hard it is to get your pawn hired since I started so late, and how uncursing weapons costs RC instead of gold. Haven't had a single hire the entire game whereas I amassed a few million RC in vanilla DD (started new file since I wanted to do hard mode from level 1) :/

There's a cyclops in the first door..? Da fuck.. only one I saw was in that circular dungeon room. I killed him at 60, so 55 might be doable depending on gear. Are you on PS3 or 360? If PS3 I'll hire the shit out of your pawn. I only hire gaf pawns.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
maomaoIYP said:
*Shrug* I actually enjoy the combat diversity in EF....fighting Daimon is very boring.

I agree.

The postgame/endgame is a grind-fest, which you'll either embrace or pass on. Its really that simple.

Grinding out cheap Daimon kills takes no skill whatsoever. It might get you l3 pieces fast, but if all your doing is running to the sanctum and spamming blast arrows at him, why do you need better gear?

The fun of the game (for me anyway) is learning how to deal with various combinations of enemies with different jobs.

Recall

I'm here The Final Battle. I'm a level 43 Ranger, my Pawn is a level 43 Fighter and i have a level 186 and 200 in my party so I hope this goes well...

Tenrius

So I randomly added some pawns to my favorites and now I can enlist them for 0 RC. Eh, what's the catch? Some of them are high level, like 40+ and I'm level 9.

EDIT: Turns out they were my PSN friends' pawns. I didn't notice at first.

I'm here The Final Battle. I'm a level 43 Ranger, my Pawn is a level 43 Fighter and i have a level 186 and 200 in my party so I hope this goes well...

Get rid of the overpowered pawns. It's going to trivialise the struggle. Trust me you can do it at that level with normal level pawns

An-Det

giant cyclops

You're only a few levels above me. If you're playing on the 360 I wouldn't mind hiring your pawn to join me while I run through NG+ before I tackle BBI. I agree with you on how frustrating it is though, my pawn has been used a couple times early on but most of my RC come from loot.

Tenrius

So it really is rare to have you pawn hired. I just thought I had to wait a bit more, oh well. If somebody's willing to hire my level 11 pawn, it would be great. I'm tenrius_t on the PSN.

I have several more questions regarding pawns.

a) Do you have to be online in order to your pawn to be available for other people?
b) I sent a pawn back to its owner, rated it and enclosed a comment. However, I seem to be unable to do that with further pawns I hire, they just go away without prompting me to rate/gift/etc. Do I have to wait until that guy gets my message before I can rate another pawn or is it something else?

So the other day I took on Daimon 2.0 with my level 99 Ranger...LOL.

Ranger can infinite Daimon's second form with Deathly Arrow. Just keep charging the level two shot and release with the proper timing (where the arrow goes slow-mo) and one arrow to the dragon face staggers him...and Daimon's stagger animation is longer than it takes to charge the next shot. XD

Owned him with no Blast Arrows whatsoever.

Also, I've been watching my brother's Strider playthrough, Brain Splitter is fucking uber. That move hits like a Tenfold Flurry.

Revan

So it really is rare to have you pawn hired. I just thought I had to wait a bit more, oh well. If somebody's willing to hire my level 11 pawn, it would be great. I'm tenrius_t on the PSN.

I have several more questions regarding pawns.

a) Do you have to be online in order to your pawn to be available for other people?
b) I sent a pawn back to its owner, rated it and enclosed a comment. However, I seem to be unable to do that with further pawns I hire, they just go away without prompting me to rate/gift/etc. Do I have to wait until that guy gets my message before I can rate another pawn or is it something else?

A) Yes you do. If you are playing offline your pawn will never been seen.
B) There is a mix of player pawns and created pawns by the game. When searching for pawns R1 (RT on the 360 I'm guessing) in the search menu and look for the Online Names and the PSN/Gamertag ID associated with the pawn. If there no PSN/Gamertag, then it is a pawn that was created within the game itself.

The reason for the game created pawns is to give the full experience if you are playing offline.

So the other day I took on Daimon 2.0 with my level 99 Ranger...LOL.

Ranger can infinite Daimon's second form with Deathly Arrow. Just keep charging the level two shot and release with the proper timing (where the arrow goes slow-mo) and one arrow to the dragon face staggers him...and Daimon's stagger animation is longer than it takes to charge the next shot. XD

Owned him with no Blast Arrows whatsoever.

Also, I've been watching my brother's Strider playthrough, Brain Splitter is fucking uber. That move hits like a Tenfold Flurry.

I wish I could get tenfold with the Assassin....

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Anyways, I was very, very unhappy with my pawn.

I have a mage pawn, the idea is to mix some magic damage in, provide support fire, heals and buffs.

But something was going wrong. The pawn would constantly spam heal, even just to heal a sliver of hitpoints on me or herself. Again and again. With multiple enemies onscreen, she would not buff my weapons, would not blast enemies to reduce their numbers, nothing. Just spamming heals. And whenever both our health bars were topped, she would just run around enemies, waiting to drop a heal at a moments notice. Frustrating, to say the least.

Well, I looked it online, and it looks like she was set to Guardian/Nexus. Boohoo. Hit the shop at the camp and now she's setup as mitigator/utilitarian. Much, much better. I still get heals but it's no longer her single purpose.

Meanwhile I killed my first chimera. Yay! So far Cyclops, Chimeras and Ogres are my big hunt kills. Ogres still pose me some trouble, specially if I get unlucky with grabs - they really do tons of damage while chewing on the arisen.

edit: that jester gives me the jeeves. He's up to no good, I tell you!

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
You're only a few levels above me. If you're playing on the 360 I wouldn't mind hiring your pawn to join me while I run through NG+ before I tackle BBI. I agree with you on how frustrating it is though, my pawn has been used a couple times early on but most of my RC come from loot.
Sorry, on PSN unfortunately :(

There's a cyclops in the first door..? Da fuck.. only one I saw was in that circular dungeon room. I killed him at 60, so 55 might be doable depending on gear. Are you on PS3 or 360? If PS3 I'll hire the shit out of your pawn. I only hire gaf pawns.
That'd be great! Didn't even notice we had a spreadsheet in the OP either.

PSN is makinamimari
Pawn is Ashurei, gear is pretty mediocre since I just entered BBI, but perfect blocks like champ

And yeah the circular dungeon room is what I meant. Or at least it was the first door available to me after meeting the other guy under BBI at any rate. Will be working through BBI/everfall this week

demon arm

It could be that you are hiring DD vanilla pawns - you can't rate those from DD:DA (or vice-versa, I assume). It took me a long time to understand that. So, you need to look for the blue double-arrow icon on the pawns when hiring them - those are DD:DA pawns. In my experience, there are a lot less of those, at least at the low levels I've been playing at so far.

Top Bottom