• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
PSN is makinamimari
Pawn is Ashurei, gear is pretty mediocre since I just entered BBI, but perfect blocks like champ

And yeah the circular dungeon room is what I meant. Or at least it was the first door available to me after meeting the other guy under BBI at any rate. Will be working through BBI/everfall this week

Will hire you in a bit. If your's is a fighter too I'm gonna have to switch mine up since so is she. I don't think I've ever seen her perfect block though lol.

Whoever's pawn Tempest is btw, wow, the best war I've ever seen. Just beastly.

Fruitster

I had so much fun playing this game, so much so that I feel kind of sad that I've done everything :( Big cheers to Dogma GAF for persuading me to pick DD up, best 16 quid I've spent in years. I only hope the game sold well enough to warrant a sequel.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Ur Dragon down..easier than I thought. Smacked the online version around for 15 mins too. I guess that's really the end of Everfall then. Opened like 50 chests down there and got 3 pieces of gear...NOTHX. To BBI again!

Tenrius

It could be that you are hiring DD vanilla pawns - you can't rate those from DD:DA (or vice-versa, I assume). It took me a long time to understand that. So, you need to look for the blue double-arrow icon on the pawns when hiring them - those are DD:DA pawns. In my experience, there are a lot less of those, at least at the low levels I've been playing at so far.

That must be it. I made sure they were from other players, so they are not AI-made.

A) Yes you do. If you are playing offline your pawn will never been seen.

But do I have to be playing the game for people to see my pawn, if I previously uploaded it? It would make sense, you could switch off the game and your pawn would go on adventures.

Slygmous

But do I have to be playing the game for people to see my pawn, if I previously uploaded it? It would make sense, you could switch off the game and your pawn would go on adventures.

You need to sleep at an Inn for your pawn to be updated on the server, which you might want to do regularly if your pawn is leveling up.
If anybody hires them, you won't know about it until they send the pawn back to you (which could be hours or days away, they might have your pawn the same time you do) and then you need to sleep at an Inn for the game to tell you.

Tenrius

You need to sleep at an Inn for your pawn to be updated on the server, which you might want to do regularly if your pawn is leveling up.
If anybody hires them, you won't know about it until they send the pawn back to you (which could be hours or days away, they might have your pawn the same time you do) and then you need to sleep at an Inn for the game to tell you.

I do sleep in the inn pretty regularly, so can other people hire my pawn when I'm not playing the game or do I have to be online and in-game for that?

I'm an expert

I do sleep in the inn pretty regularly, so can other people hire my pawn when I'm not playing the game or do I have to be online and in-game for that?

You do not have to be online or playing the game. Go to the options menu, turn online connectivity on, sleep at an inn. Your pawn is now uploaded and can be hired at any time. The next time you sleep at an inn (assuming you don't turn online connectivity off, which you shouldn't because you should play this game online at all times), you'll get updated if anyone has used your pawn. The easiest way to get hired is add a bunch of gafers from the list in the op.

demon arm

What's the procedure for adding my pawn to the friends list spreadsheet? Should I post the info here or type it directly into the document myself?

Revan

(assuming you don't turn online connectivity off, which you shouldn't because you should play this game online at all times)

I disagree with this slightly. The game CAN be played offline - infact, it is one of the only real ways to take on the Ur-Dragon (and get the trophy/achievement related to it). Online Ur has an insane generational health and killing him could take days if not weeks.

Offline is also good for speedrunning (without using speedrun mode) and farming (mostly the Ur).

What's the procedure for adding my pawn to the friends list spreadsheet? Should I post the info here or type it directly into the document myself?

You should be able to edit it directly.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Can anyone give me advice to keep my Mage Pawn from running up to mobs or mounting them? I want her to stand back safe and cast. Make her a Guardian maybe?

I'm amazed if people can kill a condemned gorecyclops in a fair fight. I had to cheese two of them at the fort last night from behind the wall. Even then it took forever to kill two of them. If I took my pawns out in the open in a fair fight they just would mangle us in minutes.

Overall my pawns just die really fast and I spend all my time running around reviving them. I wish the heal spell really worked and healed to max, all those healing items is a pain.

haikira

If i'm playing a Mystic Knight and i use a mace with some Magick on it. What does that effect? Only my weapon skills, or does it also effect shield skills? I'm guessing it's the first, but just want to make sure.

Also. I'm getting quite close to the final quest, then there's the post game quests afterwards. I'm just wondering though, for when i'm done with post game stuff. Is it better for me to do BBI then NG+, or NG+ then BBI?

I'm an expert

I disagree with this slightly. The game CAN be played offline - infact, it is one of the only real ways to take on the Ur-Dragon (and get the trophy/achievement related to it). Online Ur has an insane generational health and killing him could take days if not weeks.

Offline is also good for speedrunning (without using speedrun mode) and farming (mostly the Ur).

Right, but that's literally the only time you'd purposely want to play offline..for one 20 min fight that gives kinda meh gear anyway. Otherwise, it's all about online pawns populating your world!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Just added my pawn to the pawnshare doc in the OP.

41 mage (mitigator/utilitarian) Penelope

Hope it's helpful!

edit: my GT is Lorrac ESP

LaneDS

BBI went from awesome to really disappointing in a hurry for me. I went there early (late 40s) and found it very dangerous, challenging, and awesome. And also too much for my characters to take care of. So I finished the main game (which I neglected to do last year when I bought the game, stopping at the final battle), leveled up some, and worked on BBI some more and was loving it until I got to what felt like the first real boss
the giant evil eye
. After clearing that, I was very disappointed to see how many rooms are re-hashed with layout variations from the sections I had been through, all the way up until the final boss which took me only a few (maybe three?) hours to get to. I expected a lot more, and while I enjoyed my time with DA I'm still let down a bit as I don't see myself investing much time post final boss.

Recall

So I now have A Warm Welcome post game quest but I know if I follow it I'm limiting myself and making it so I can't ever use
Gran Soren
again, right? Can I farm Everfall before getting its quest? As I've heard you
you can't return to the surface
when you start the next post game main quest.

I'm totally confused at what I can do without triggering the real end where its really game over and new game plus must be started. What should I do now I'm in the start of post game?

So I now have A Warm Welcome post game quest but I know if I follow it I'm limiting myself and making it so I can't ever use
Gran Soren

I'm totally confused at what I can do without triggering the real end where its really game over and new game plus must be started. What should I do now I'm in the start of post game?

I am confused too!

In the basic game, I was still farming the Everfall. I just got Dark Arisen by the mail, can I just put DA disc in and continue what I was doing? Is the Dark Arisen content available at any time or its a new quest after the (before DA) final quest received in the Everfall?

Thanks!

I'm an expert

Gran Soren

You beat the dragon and now there's a giant hole in the ground right? You're in end-game. You can do anything you like - Everfall, BBI, new monsters around the world. The game will only go to the real end when you collect 20 wakestones and advance the quest with the pawn in the Everfall. You can't accidentally stumble into it. Once you do that and beat the real ending, you'll revert back to ng+ starting out in Cassardis and have to beat all the story quests/the dragon again to get back to end game. BBI is always available though after you do the encampment quest and make your pawn - just go to Cassardis at night.

Gran Soren

You can do A Warm Welcome and still
use Gran Soren vendors and whatnot, you're just banished from the castle. Your point of no return is after you complete the 20 wakestones quest.

I am confused too!

In the basic game, I was still farming the Everfall. I just got Dark Arisen by the mail, can I just put DA disc in and continue what I was doing? Is the Dark Arisen content available at any time or its a new quest after the (before DA) final quest received in the Everfall?

Thanks!
I don't know how the vanilla to DA transfer goes, as I've only had DA, but the DA content should be available from the start and any time you can go to Cassardis.

Recall

Thanks for clearing that up for me. That's one giant hole, no more inn and black cat. Wonder where they've been moved to...

I'm an expert

Thanks for clearing that up for me. That's one giant hole, no more inn and black cat. Wonder where they've been moved to...

Black cat is easy to find but for some reason I couldn't find the innkeeper for the life of me..didn't make sense where they put him - in the pawn guild.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Rickenslacker said:
I don't know how the vanilla to DA transfer goes, as I've only had DA, but the DA content should be available from the start and any time you can go to Cassardis.

Pretty simple. Insert DA disc, let it run and it imports a set of save data. Not sure how it handles having multiple saves/characters - in my case it took my original and most played char, which was what I wanted so I was happy to leave it at that.

After that PS3 owners should hit up the game data utility and delete the original DD folder, as otherwise its ~4gb of space wasted.

Dizzy-4U

Well, I decided to start a new game. I lost two quests, "Lost and Found" and "Chasing Shadows". Usually I wouldn't mind that much but missing those block future important quests, so fuck it.

I really really hate crap like this.

I'm an expert

Well, I decided to start a new game. I lost two important quests, "Lost and Found" and "Chasing Shadows". Usually I wouldn't mind that much but missing those block future important quests, so fuck it.

I really really hate crap like this.

Yalp. I feel ya. If you have the rpg ocd I recommend playing this game with a quest guide and using it only as a reference to what quests are available and when they lock, not to actually spoil the quests. That's how I did my first run and it went fine..the non-story quests are for the most part pretty non-eventful anyway. This game is meant to be played multiple times though..but I know a lot of people don't play rpgs like that. Me included.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the hire worldrev, got a good chunk of RC out of it ( ・ ー・ )

Did a little everfall and BBI last night and shot up from level 58 to 72. Was starting to feel a little overpowered but then the
elder ogre
stepped out of a wormhole from nowhere and was the toughest fight I've had in the game so far.

I'm an expert

Thanks for the hire worldrev, got a good chunk of RC out of it ( ・ ー・ )

Did a little everfall and BBI last night and shot up from level 58 to 72. Was starting to feel a little overpowered but then the
elder ogre
stepped out of a wormhole from nowhere and was the toughest fight I've had in the game so far.

Lol how much did you get. I hired you, took out the drake in BBI and then Death one shot your pawn. Was with her for like 20 mins. Rehired again right after so expect much more.

Can anyone give me advice to keep my Mage Pawn from running up to mobs or mounting them? I want her to stand back safe and cast. Make her a Guardian maybe?

Overall my pawns just die really fast and I spend all my time running around reviving them. I wish the heal spell really worked and healed to max, all those healing items is a pain.

If your pawn is a mage youre probably best of with utilitarian / challenger or medicant. Go to Jonathon in the encampment and get some inclination potions. They cost RC but you can buy one and copy it multiple times. Utilitarian will make your pawn use the best skills in the situations it is familiar with. Medicant will help it heal while challenger will make it attack ranged enemies first. For a sorcerer I would probably say utulitarian / scather, that way it will not be in a big hurry to climb monsters. Guardian is awful as the pawn will only attack if you're being attacked and scather as a first inclination will make them climb all over monsters. Mitigator kills lesser enemies so that is what I use on my strider. Hope that helps

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Lol how much did you get. I hired you, took out the drake in BBI and then Death one shot your pawn. Was with her for like 20 mins. Rehired again right after so expect much more.
About 9k, which was a lot since I only had 5k before lol.

Got the second void key, heard the elder ogre summon sign, got ready for it, and then an
undead dragon
appeared instead ( ´_ゝ`)

Took out 2 of its health bars before I had to run. Love that the game is still throwing challenging surprises at me.

AgentP

If your pawn is a mage youre probably best of with utilitarian / challenger or medicant. Go to Jonathon in the encampment and get some inclination potions. They cost RC but you can buy one and copy it multiple times. Utilitarian will make your pawn use the best skills in the situations it is familiar with. Medicant will help it heal while challenger will make it attack ranged enemies first. For a sorcerer I would probably say utulitarian / scather, that way it will not be in a big hurry to climb monsters. Guardian is awful as the pawn will only attack if you're being attacked and scather as a first inclination will make them climb all over monsters. Mitigator kills lesser enemies so that is what I use on my strider. Hope that helps

I think she is a scatherer first and gaurdian second, so worst combo. Thanks for the reply, nothing worse than my only caster and healer climbing on a dragon.

I'm mad. Got to the end on my second playthrough and
Selene is mai waifu?! I don't even know how that happened, I was setting it up for Madeleine! Harumph. I guess I was already stuck with this goth homunculus anyway, I just wanted Madeleine to come back. ;^;

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I'm mad. Got to the end on my second playthrough and
Selene is mai waifu?! I don't even know how that happened, I was setting it up for Madeleine! Harumph. I guess I was already stuck with this goth homunculus anyway, I just wanted Madeleine to come back. ;^;
Unfortunately it uses whoever the last person you got max affinity with was before the scene. In vanilla DD I got selene, fournival, and fournival again when I was trying for mercedes all 3 times. Tried for mercedes again this time in DA and got Rickert. I think I'm just going to kill every npc next time except mercedes |`Д´|

I think she is a scatherer first and gaurdian second, so worst combo. Thanks for the reply, nothing worse than my only caster and healer climbing on a dragon.

Yeah that is seriously the worst combo possible for a magic class. It might not be bad for a Ranger. I wouldn't bother using the thing that erases all inclinations, just pump 4 of the tier 2 inclination first then use 5 potions for utilitarian and you should be good. The inclinations are self fulfilling prophecies, once they get used to doing that they should stay along that path but keep checking as your pawns learn from you. If all you ever do is rush as monster climb on and start whaling away, your pawn will eventually feel predisposed to do the same.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Man BBI's exp is bananas, went from 86 to 91 in one boss battle by using one of those 2x exp charms, then hit 98 just getting to the next floor.

kaiju

Will hire you in a bit. If your's is a fighter too I'm gonna have to switch mine up since so is she. I don't think I've ever seen her perfect block though lol.

Whoever's pawn Tempest is btw, wow, the best war I've ever seen. Just beastly.

Wow, what a compliment! That's my pawn. =)

I appreciate the props as I've definitely gimped her as far as gear is concerned. She has better DF'd equipment waiting for her, but I've come to love the skimpy look she's sporting atm...all she needs now is a Dragonwing Circlet and DF'd Burnished Bracers for that Gladiator Goddess look! lol :/

I did experiment a lot on Warrior skills though and the ones she has now I thought were the most effective. Thanks for using her and I shall return the favor by hiring your pawn tonight.

Dizzy-4U

Yalp. I feel ya. If you have the rpg ocd I recommend playing this game with a quest guide and using it only as a reference to what quests are available and when they lock, not to actually spoil the quests. That's how I did my first run and it went fine..the non-story quests are for the most part pretty non-eventful anyway. This game is meant to be played multiple times though..but I know a lot of people don't play rpgs like that. Me included.
I think it wouldn't be that bad if the quest log was sorted better. Everything is all mashed up together and is hard to tell between the main quests and the rest.

I have the memory of a goldfish, so if I pick up a quest today, tomorrow I will forget who gave it to me and it's importance.

It could have been easily fixed with different font colors for the quest typess. But oh well, maybe if they are smart enough and release it on PC, someone can make a mod of it :p

Recall

Yep just simple tabs labelled Main, Side and Notice Board would have made the quest log better or colours/symbols next to the quests. Wish it was easier to bring up the map, like if it was mapped to back/select and the equipment page featured both versions of it together rather than having two different things tied to equipment.

Xearo

Neo Member
So, I went to fight the chained
gorecyclops
and goddamn
undead dragon
showed up. I didn't even know these could spawn on this side of BBI

Recall

After farming everfall for a few hours im sort of done. I would like to do a NG+ for the achievement and my end goal is to make a quality pawn to further help others.

I suppose it would make sense to change my vocation to the same as my pawn so I can easily equip appropiate gear and have it be dragon forged, its a shame that your main pawn gear isn't dragon forged by a drake/dragon.

After farming everfall for a few hours im sort of done. I would like to do a NG+ for the achievement and my end goal is to make a quality pawn to further help others.

I suppose it would make sense to change my vocation to the same as my pawn so I can easily equip appropiate gear and have it be dragon forged, its a shame that your main pawn gear isn't dragon forged by a drake/dragon.

I wouldn't worry about synchronizing your gear like that. In BBI there is a Dragon that practically guarantees Dragon forged equipment . When I got 2 or 3 pieces I wanted to DF I would slap them on upgrade them and try to get them done in one go. Now getting the delta guard Dragon forged when your Arisen is male... that is uh... a bit different

Does anyone know what the best pants to equip as a man are? I've got iron bandings which seem to be pretty good. Obviously the Delta guard for women is a no brainer

I'm still fairly new to the game so a question.
Do Cyclopes (sp?) respawn like goblins?

Everything respawns; the big monsters (Cyclops, Chimera, Gryphon) after 3 days, and the Drake in Devilfire Grove after 7 days.

Does anyone know what the best pants to equip as a man are? I've got iron bandings which seem to be pretty good. Obviously the Delta guard for women is a no brainer

The best pants are the Silk Leggings you get in BBI but I use White Hawk's pants because they look better; although, with the clothing pieces, it doesn't really matter what has the best stats. I just go by looks for those.

AlphaQuack

Neo Member
Confused player here. So i just beat the original game and right now im starting a new one with the same character as before but i want to know if theres anything of value to get from playing the whole game over again rather than just going to Bitterblack Isle?

AgentP

Yeah that is seriously the worst combo possible for a magic class. It might not be bad for a Ranger. I wouldn't bother using the thing that erases all inclinations, just pump 4 of the tier 2 inclination first then use 5 potions for utilitarian and you should be good. The inclinations are self fulfilling prophecies, once they get used to doing that they should stay along that path but keep checking as your pawns learn from you. If all you ever do is rush as monster climb on and start whaling away, your pawn will eventually feel predisposed to do the same.

I just used one of each bottle and now they are the two I want in the order I want, but that isn't the truth? What a strange system.

I just used one of each bottle and now they are the two I want in the order I want, but that isn't the truth? What a strange system.

Well it is the truth but you need to keep track of everything. From my experience if you only use one potion you are a lot likely to slide whereas i pumped 7 of utilitarian and 6 mitigator in and it hasn't changed since. When you start your character there are a lot of different sliders so it makes sense that more is more when it comes to changing inclinations

The best pants are the Silk Leggings you get in BBI but I use White Hawk's pants because they look better; although, with the clothing pieces, it doesn't really matter what has the best stats. I just go by looks for those.

The silk leggings are actually dramatically worse than the bandings. Bandings are 8/6/1/2 while silk tights are 4/4/0/0

Silk tights have resists that are useless including the Holy resist (what monster even uses Holy attacks?)
Skill stifling is good for Dragon kin but i don't recall having issues with that as you either kill the Dragon or the Dragon kills you, one way or the other you're set

Top Bottom