• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Well it is the truth but you need to keep track of everything. From my experience if you only use one potion you are a lot likely to slide whereas i pumped 7 of utilitarian and 6 mitigator in and it hasn't changed since. When you start your character there are a lot of different sliders so it makes sense that more is more when it comes to changing inclinations

Right now I have a problem with my pawn, his secondary inclination keeps slipping back into guardian. It's a pain - I gotta keep using the chair everytime I visit Soren.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Right now I have a problem with my pawn, his secondary inclination keeps slipping back into guardian. It's a pain - I gotta keep using the chair everytime I visit Soren.

Do you use the come command? Never use it. Never.

Tenrius

I went to the Everfall at level 15. It was quite easy until I found the ogre. The ogre was giving me a hard time, killed my pawns several times (I was able to resurrect them). However, when his HP was at about 50%, he suddenly fell down the pit and died.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Do you use the come command? Never use it. Never.

No, I don't.

I just don't issue command to my pawn.

It's just, like it happens. I have a feeling utilitarian and guardian are closely tied and the smallest thing knocks her back into guardian.

Anyways, I switched from mage to sorcerer, heals are no longer an issue because I can buy herbs anytime and I hope to get better nuking.

edit for tenrius: ogres are the biggest assholes out of the "small game" bosses. That frigging grab does so much damage when they are chewing your ass.

As was already started don't say come. If you're taking to much of a beating that could be why it is going to Guardian. As i said buy a shit load of potions and pump them in, should fix that problem.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
As was already started don't say come. If you're taking to much of a beating that could be why it is going to Guardian. As i said buy a shit load of potions and pump them in, should fix that problem.

I play a fairly aggressive assassin and get hurt a lot, might be a factor.

So what's the method, buy 10 potions at the camp and spam them?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I thought you just needed to use the one that clears inclinations completely and then the 2 that you want after that.

Slygmous

Drink 2 of the of the main inclination potion, and 1 of the secondary inclination.

They'll still slip back eventually based on your playing habits though, mine keeps going back to Aquisitor as her 2nd instead of Util.

I thought you just needed to use the one that clears inclinations completely and then the 2 that you want after that.

I wouldn't clear everything its not necessary. Then your pawn just seems lifeless :(

Drink 2 of the of the main inclination potion, and 1 of the secondary inclination.

They'll still slip back eventually based on your playing habits though, mine keeps going back to Aquisitor as her 2nd instead of Util.

That's because you're not popping dem pots. From my experience drinking a single potion will only move that stat slightly higher than all others in the queue. In order to make real head way and keep your inclinations the same you have to chug a bunch so that they outweight the others heavily and have less of s chance to slip.

As I understand it taking damage does lead to the Guardian inclination. Conclusion: git good or git wreked.

Slygmous

I wouldn't clear everything its not necessary. Then your pawn just seems lifeless :(

That's because you're not popping dem pots. From my experience drinking a single potion will only move that stat slightly higher than all others in the queue. In order to make real head way and keep your inclinations the same you have to chug a bunch so that they outweight the others heavily and have less of s chance to slip.

As I understand it taking damage does lead to the Guardian inclination. Conclusion: git good or git wreked.

I'll test your theory this weekend.
I pop ALL the pots though, my pawns are lazy asses. I have to pick up everything and manually distribute the load.

Tenrius

I was exploring the area around the Hillfigure Knoll at night and was ambushed by a chimera. Woah, didn't expect that. A quest notification also appeared, saying something like "ambush!" and "defeat your enemies", however there was nothing like that in my quest log. Was it a random event?

Slygmous

I was exploring the area around the Hillfigure Knoll at night and was ambushed by a chimera. Woah, didn't expect that. A quest notification also appeared, saying something like "ambush!" and "defeat your enemies", however there was nothing like that in my quest log. Was it a random event?

Ambushes count as quests in the way that it'll reward you if you win, but I don't think it keeps record of them in your quest book. They happen often, so don't worry if you fail it or have to run away from one.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Hm I think I hit a wall, nearing the end of BBI (I think) on hard at level 105 and I keep getting to an area where
death and an elder ogre spawn
. Can barely do any damage and keep getting one-shot.

BOTEC

Hey guys, I got a dumb question. I borrowed DD vanilla from a buddy, and really like what I played. I want to buy my own copy now. If I buy Dark Arisen can I load my vanilla save? I didn't get very far, but I'd like to keep my characters and stuff.

Recall

Post game is really dull. Everfall hasn't led to anything worthwhile gear wise and the Xp rate is quite slow and I'm too low level for BBI.

I think I'm just gonna NG+ and burst through that and call it a day. Plenty other games to get through in my backlog :)

Edit: now the drakes have stopped spawning. Yep, I'm done

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Hm I think I hit a wall, nearing the end of BBI (I think) on hard at level 105 and I keep getting to an area where
death and an elder ogre spawn
. Can barely do any damage and keep getting one-shot.

Come back later, I had the same problems and then the mobs changed when I came back.

Post game is really dull. Everfall hasn't led to anything worthwhile gear wise and the Xp rate is quite slow and I'm too low level for BBI.

If you can do Everfall, you can start BBI. BBI is really cool, and far larger than I was led to believe. Don't miss it.

Hey guys, I got a dumb question. I borrowed DD vanilla from a buddy, and really like what I played. I want to buy my own copy now. If I buy Dark Arisen can I load my vanilla save? I didn't get very far, but I'd like to keep my characters and stuff.

should be possible. i don't know where you start off, but i know you can get your stuff at the warehouse if the game starts over.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Went ahead and pushed the game to ng+..I loved the entire beginning half of this game but the second half and even BBI just couldn't hold my interest too much. Not sure if I'll finish the plat..maybe slow burn it.

BOTEC

should be possible. i don't know where you start off, but i know you can get your stuff at the warehouse if the game starts over.

Cool. I'll probably pick Dark Arisen up next week. I feel bad for missing DD the first time around, but am pretty stoked about an updated re-release.

Tenrius

Hey kvothe, thanks for the hire. I'm level 23 now, so I'm not sure whether I should hire your level 45 pawn. Will probably wait a bit, I'm progressing quite steadily.

On another note, when should I switch to fighter/mage (and should I at all)? I'm 2 ranks away from the maximum mage rank now.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I just got my pawn hired, looks like to slay the bird at the tower.

27k RC's, not bad!

I'm sorry to make a deal out of this, but it's only the third time it's happened!

Tenrius

Man, you really have to fight a lot of monsters outdoors, even if you stick to the roads. Reminds of Wizardry 8, a game where you couldn't take a single step on a seemingly peaceful road without running into a bunch of increasingly powerful monsters.

maomaoIYP

27k RC's, not bad!

I'm sorry to make a deal out of this, but it's only the third time it's happened!

Lemme take a look at my stats....
Times main pawn was hired: 151
Total RC obtained: 15 million
#swag

jfoul

Does anybody need Cursed level 3 Armor/Weapon/Novelty? I'm going to be offloading these because they aren't purifying as "rare". I don't like wasting RC on stuff I don't need, and would rather the item go to somebody that can use it.

Feel free to add me if I'm not on your friendlist already from the pawn list.

GT: JFoul

Is there any easy way to equalize my pawn's level to mine? Just beat Daimon and he vortexed her moments before defeat, netting me 3 levels and her none. That gap is just going to annoy me.

maomaoIYP

Does anybody need Cursed level 3 Armor/Weapon/Novelty? I'm going to be offloading these because they aren't purifying as "rare". I don't like wasting RC on stuff I don't need, and would rather the item go to somebody that can use it.

Feel free to add me if I'm not on your friendlist already from the pawn list.

GT: JFoul

If you want to collect the "rare" gear don't give away your cursed items. The stuff you get from purification are predetermined, picking up a cursed item only adds a "token" so that you can advance down the list. Giving away the cursed items won't change the items that you will get next, and the recipient won't get the item that you last purified as well.

edit: More screenshots!
97801710151541060482758.jpg

97725910151539164157758.jpg

92103010151537412042758.jpg

97725910151537268547758.jpg

jfoul

If you want to collect the "rare" gear don't give away your cursed items. The stuff you get from purification are predetermined, picking up a cursed item only adds a "token" so that you can advance down the list. Giving away the cursed items won't change the items that you will get next, and the recipient won't get the item that you last purified as well.

edit: More screenshots!

Thanks for the heads up. Tested it, and you're spot on.

Rootbeer

Banned
this game got waaaaaaaaay fucking harder after i killed the dragon. those fucking fire breething wolves man... i'm really getting my ass whopped and i'm not even fighting the big guys anymore

27k RC's, not bad!

Congrats on the hire. It gets more exciting as time goes on because your pawn will go places and fight monsters you haven't seen before. It creates a sense of anticipation that is really awesome. It gets a bit less exciting when you've killed every monster done every quest and beaten bbi, but I always like seeing people hire my pawn because I'm proud of her and I hope she does a good job

GrayGrey

Neo Member
Game was getting unbearably hard...

Then i realized pawns don't level up. Fuck me.

Well your main pawn does level up with you. And if your struggling, you can go back to the rift and hire higher leveled pawns (at the cost of experience points of course).

Welp, I think I'm done with the game. I finished BBI and decided I wanted to get the entire Hellfire set, so I headed out to do more BBI; but shortly in I encountered a wyrm that wasn't particularly challenging, but took little damage. After doing two bars of life with 8 or so to go and encountering cinematic framerates and excessive camera clipping (that chest weakspot is horrible for this), I decided I really didn't need that armour and felt like closing the book on my DD play.

Which really makes it sound negative, but it's not, haha. It just dissuaded me from going the extra distance of completing some unnecessary post-endgame gear set. I'd love if the game had more weapon options like spears, or made rolling a sword ability as well, but I really enjoyed my time with the game and can't wait for Deep Down now. I think my only real bummer is that my pawn was hired a total of 3 times, but the system itself is really neat.

Get a second moonbeam gem, decide to open the Dragon's Ire door. Start using the Dragon's Ire. Uncurse four level 2 weapons. Three of the four are Dragon's Ire.

deuce985

Banned
So I have the original DD but haven't got around to buying expansion yet. Is it possible to buy just the expansion and not the full game at all? I'm guessing absolutely not because I'm not seeing it anywhere. That's pretty lame for people like me who have the original already. Who does that?

I hear that the expansion is comparable to Dark Souls in difficulty. Is this true? Perhaps the biggest flaw in Dragon's Dogma for me was once you hit a certain early level(like 20 or so) the world became super easy. When you're initially exploring it in going in places you weren't suppose to go, you would get destroyed in early levels. I remember trying to fight an Ogre at level 8 and getting owned by them. Not to mention nearly pissing my pants when he rushed my party randomly at night.

I don't like level scaling in RPGs but it can be good if done right. I think DD was a prime example of why you need at least a few areas with it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So I have the original DD but haven't got around to buying expansion yet. Is it possible to buy just the expansion and not the full game at all? I'm guessing absolutely not because I'm not seeing it anywhere. That's pretty lame for people like me who have the original already. Who does that?

I hear that the expansion is comparable to Dark Souls in difficulty. Is this true? Perhaps the biggest flaw in Dragon's Dogma for me was once you hit a certain early level(like 20 or so) the world became super easy. When you're initially exploring it in going in places you weren't suppose to go, you would get destroyed in early levels. I remember trying to fight an Ogre at level 8 and getting owned by them. Not to mention nearly pissing my pants when he rushed my party randomly at night.

I don't like level scaling in RPGs but it can be good if done right. I think DD was a prime example of why you need at least a few areas with it.

They sweeten the deal with a non-consumable ferrystone and some other goodies. But yeah, it's quite the rough deal for supporters of the original.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Xbox bro that is your punishment. Part of it though is that the bottom levels are clogged with pawns that don't play anymore from vanilla DD. once you clear level 60 you should become more visible.

That's true tho, the occasional pawns I've hired look like they belong to inactive players.

Tenrius

I found that on ps3 the level has to be around 60-65 before you start finding DD:DA pawns. It truly is a shame

I've been seeing plenty of DD:DA pawns on all levels up to 25. There's usually about a third of them on each level, that's if you search by level in the rift.

Top Bottom