• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

maomaoIYP

Xbox bro that is your punishment. Part of it though is that the bottom levels are clogged with pawns that don't play anymore from vanilla DD. once you clear level 60 you should become more visible.

I'm on xbox too actually. But you're right, you need to hit that level so that you become more visible to DDDA players.

I'm still recommending looks over functionality.

They should just remove original DD pawns entirely from the rift and game for DD:DA players, I think there are enough DA pawns to get by even at the lower levels now.

They sweeten the deal with a non-consumable ferrystone and some other goodies. But yeah, it's quite the rough deal for supporters of the original.
Eternal Ferrystone is the shit, I abuse the living daylights out of it :)

I'm on xbox too actually. But you're right, you need to hit that level so that you become more visible to DDDA players.

I'm still recommending looks over functionality.

You like them rift sluts eh?
Now that all my gear is maxed and I have more RC then I could ever spend I'm tempted to put the trophy gear back on and skank it up. I miss wearing chainmail bracers and having vespians tits hanging out.
I have 300 hours with female pawns and only 30 with males... Love it

maomaoIYP

You like them rift sluts eh?
Now that all my gear is maxed and I have more RC then I could ever spend I'm tempted to put the trophy gear back on and skank it up. I miss wearing chainmail bracers and having vespians tits hanging out.
I have 300 hours with female pawns and only 30 with males... Love it
Not so much as slutting it up, but going for a unique look really seemed to helped my pawn getting hired. There's too many running around with just silver chestplate and silk lingerie all hanging out. With BBI everyone has trophy gear / grave gear, I like changing things up so at least you look unique.

Most of the sorc body armor looks so bad, like wrapping the pawn with an ugly towel.
These were how my pawns used to look, the left is a mage and the right is a sorc. I think a lot of the mage/sorc pieces look fantastic!
45978410151473910897758.jpg
47812610151473922797758.jpg

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Woo, finally killed death, thank you based exploding arrows. Was on hard mode and used one of the 2x exp charms. Ended up giving me 1.6 million exp ( ゚Д゚)

Also @ worldrev, hired your pawn a couple of days ago and just realized you were using the dragon's roost shield after I found one today. It has a permanent attack down debuff on it. Just a heads up ( ・ ー・ )

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Woo, finally killed death, thank you based exploding arrows. Was on hard mode and used one of the 2x exp charms. Ended up giving me 1.6 million exp ( ゚Д゚)

Also @ worldrev, hired your pawn a couple of days ago and just realized you were using the dragon's roost shield after I found one today. It has a permanent attack down debuff on it. Just a heads up ( ・ ー・ )

Meh whatever..game is stupid easy lol. It really became disappointing by the end. Grinding gear..for what? There's nothing left to kill and ng+ is the exact same difficulty. Compared to how good the beginning was, it's a real let down. Appreciate the tip though. I'll take it off..maybe..

As I understand the description it actually inflicts strength down when you execute a perfect block. There isn't any weapon that I know of that inflicts a permanent debilitation. At first the sapfire daggers look like they do defense down as well but you can see it be applied to enemies not to yourself.

Fake edit: threw the ps3 on, neither leaves you with a debilitation. It doesn't show on your hp bar or in the status page and my damage seemed fine. As I said perfect blocks inflicted status ailments although regular ones may as well.

So I'v been playing this game, and it's fun, but it hasn't really grabbed me yet. I just joined the Wyrm Hunt. Does this game pick up any time soon?

Dizzy-4U

So, the Wyrmking ring. I made a forgery to trade in the quest and keep the original. It's just stays there in my inventory? I don't have to equip it, right?

Hey everyone, I made a schematic "map" of Bitterblack for a friend of mine (who has a tendency to get lost pretty fast in games with even a tiny bit of exploration) and I'd be really glad if you could take a look and proofread it.
I'm not sure the areas where Death and cursed dragons can appear are correct. This is where I fought them while playing, so I don't know if they can be found anywhere else.

Thanks.
I'm very LTTP here, but I just wanted to say thanks for posting that map, I found it very helpful :)

orion434

Found another Magik Bowman's Band and again Magikal Gleam / Explosive Bolt :(

My Pawn does a great job being hired... basically made her the White Queen with as little clothing as possible :)

theta11

I have a few extra Bitterblack Lv.3 Weapons. If anyone wants any feels free at add me. My Gamertag is on the googledoc. Naturally I'm on Xbox.

So, the Wyrmking ring. I made a forgery to trade in the quest and keep the original. It's just stays there in my inventory? I don't have to equip it, right?

As long as you have it in your personal inventory and not your ball whomever holds it will receive 15% lower cast time

Recall

I'm in post game level 50 and have nowhere to grind levels. Everfall is so slow with the Xp and drakes are no longer spawning. BBI is a place for levels 60+ so where can I grind out til then? Seriously a floor on everfall nets me so little xp.

Slygmous

I'm in post game level 50 and have nowhere to grind levels. Everfall is so slow with the Xp and drakes are no longer spawning. BBI is a place for levels 60+ so where can I grind out til then? Seriously a floor on everfall nets me so little xp.
I'm level 62 and haven't gotten around to the final battle yet, how did you manage?

I think there are items to boost XP, and you can hire underleveled pawns (or not hire any). I'm unsure beyond that as I haven't made it to post game yet.

theta11

You could probably try taking on the Ur-Dragon Offline. I managed to level up to around 100 doing that on my first playthrough. Some classes down him more quickly though but he really isn't too hard. Try to destroy the hard to reach hearts first because when he gets low on health he becomes really aggressive and those hearts get to be a real pain to reach.

Dragonkin respawn after 7 days. In the post game you find them:

Bluemoon Tower: Wyvern
Watergod's Altar: Wyrm
Devilfire Grove: Drake
Conquerors Sanctuary (? Near Bloodwater Beach): Drake
Just outside the gates of Gran Soren: Wyvern (appears sporadically).

Then, in the Everfall there's at least one chamber where a Drake can appear, one with a Wyrm, and of course the Ur-Dragon.
I may have missed some but those are the easiest ones to farm I think. Take one if the items that grants Weal (2x XP) and use them when you're about to kill them for double the XP. Note also what other people mentioned: the higher the level (and number) of pawns with you, the less XP you get.

An-Det

I've bought a bunch of random shit from Reynard but he refuses to give me hit quest (Search Party). I've only got that and Nameless Terror left for unique quests to experience in core DD in NG+. Once I get to Post again I'm jumping straight into BBI.

You could probably try taking on the Ur-Dragon Offline. I managed to level up to around 100 doing that on my first playthrough. Some classes down him more quickly though but he really isn't too hard. Try to destroy the hard to reach hearts first because when he gets low on health he becomes really aggressive and those hearts get to be a real pain to reach.

There's more than one heart? That would explain why I was barely hurting it when I tried the Ur for the first time yesterday (level 60 Sorcerer) and got my ass handed to me.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I've bought a bunch of random shit from Reynard but he refuses to give me hit quest (Search Party). I've only got that and Nameless Terror left for unique quests to experience in core DD in NG+. Once I get to Post again I'm jumping straight into BBI.

There's more than one heart? That would explain why I was barely hurting it when I tried the Ur for the first time yesterday (level 60 Sorcerer) and got my ass handed to me.

It's 10 transactions, not 10 items with Reynard. Have to back out of all the menus/windows after buying/enhancing something and then do it again.

And Ur has like 900 hearts.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Whelp, beat the game.

That fight against the dragon was amazing.

Done som ever fall... It aggravates me what a crapshoot is getting to specific floors.

Listening to the DD sound track today, didn't realise that the song you hear in the XMB menu is actually the song you hear during daimon stage 1. It starts out super slow but transitions into the awesome song that people who have farmed Daimon know all too well by now.

Still love the song (both v1 and v2) though

edit: Song is Coils of Light
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcoLNTG1tTo

BoSox06DH

I haven't played this game in roughly a month or so. I decide to resume by BBI playthrough and I find out that my Dark Arisen save somehow got corrupted. I'm not sure how, but I'm disappointed. I was only around the 80's only so not terrible, but still. I'll have to start again with my Vanilla DD save and go from there. Now I'll have to redo all the quest in order to do get the Hero achievement.

BoSox06DH

Same here. Gonna check my save later.
Disc or PSN version?

Xbox 360 disc. I couldn't really imagine how it happened, but it hurt seeing roughly 50ish hours disappear randomly. This isn't as bad as my Pokémon Sapphire (100+ hours) getting deleted by my cousin. Still, quite disappointed.

As much as I try, I'm having troubles really getting into the game. I've only completed a few quests so far, and I've no real desire to continue playing. I'm a huge Dark Souls fan, so it might be related to that...

orion434

Finally scored a Magik Bowman's Band with Ninefold Bolt! My single-target damage just went up 50%! This cuts through enemies like melted butta!

As much as I try, I'm having troubles really getting into the game. I've only completed a few quests so far, and I've no real desire to continue playing. I'm a huge Dark Souls fan, so it might be related to that...

Try going with a Fighter, Assassin, or Mystic Knight, use a shield, and play on hard mode. Then don't hire any pawns and throw your main pawn over a cliff. That makes the game a bit more Dark Souls-ish. That might be too hard at the beginning though, you'll want some shield augments from Fighter and Mystic Knight.

So I'm level 80 hunter on bitter back isle and my attacks literally do nothing at all, same with my main warrior pawn. Literally nothing no matter what I use, I have to wait for my two Mage pawns to cast spells. What gives? Am I too low of a level or just doing something wrong?

Dreamer RD

Xbox 360 disc. I couldn't really imagine how it happened, but it hurt seeing roughly 50ish hours disappear randomly. This isn't as bad as my Pokémon Sapphire (100+ hours) getting deleted by my cousin. Still, quite disappointed.

Just checked PSN ver, save works well. A friend of mine has PS3 disc version and his save fucked up too. Means it's only disc issue.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Anyways, been progressing and as assassin I've found two items in the everfall, the fey whisper and the dragon something.

Well, turns out even dragonforged they're weaker than the dragon rewards... =(

blackflag

Just got the new version of this today. I stopped at level 20 like a year ago. Didn't have much time to play. I really don't want to start over because I remembered really liking my character and pawn but now I haveno idea wtf I'm doing. Really wish there were 2 character save slots.

Dizzy-4U

Beat the final boss and now I'm in the Everfall. Damn, here I was all confident with my new shinny gear, open the door to one of the rooms.....2 flying kittens, like 10 goblins and some eye thingies....I died in two minutes.

The real DD starts here I guess.

By the way, the slowdown in this place is insane. Like Ninja Gaiden 2's stairs level of insane. My PS3 will burst into flames any minute now.

gogosox8

Ok so I just got DD a few days ago and I have some questions for anyone who's beaten it.

First, I heard this game was somewhat difficult but I've only died twice. Once at the beginning where you have to go to witchwood (but I just ran past the bandits the second time b/c it was taking too long to kill them and I ran out of healing items) and once in the catacombs when I was doing a salvation quest (can't remember the name of it, it was before you talk to the duke though). Kinda got surprised by the cyclopes that was in there and he killed before I knew what happened. Other than that, I haven't found this game to be challenging at all. Is it my class (started as warrior, then went to assassin)? Or is it just people exaggerating how hard it is like they do with dark souls? Does it get any harder than this? (Should mention that I just did the quest where you go after the griffin)

Second, where do I get the really good loot from? Is it just all random? I went into souflayer cannon and all i got was loot for magic archer and mystic knight which was kind of disappointing. I heard that you can get good loot from everfall but I'm a long way from being able to do that. So am I just going to be running around in ok loot until then?

Finally, what level should i be at end game? I'm 37 right now. I'm trying to do all the side quests I can b/c I heard that you can fail quests so I'm trying to make sure that doesn't happen. Am I over leveled? Under leveled? What level should I be before beating the game?

I'm an expert

Ok so I just got DD a few days ago and I have some questions for anyone who's beaten it.

First, I heard this game was somewhat difficult but I've only died twice. Once at the beginning where you have to go to witchwood (but I just ran past the bandits the second time b/c it was taking too long to kill them and I ran out of healing items) and once in the catacombs when I was doing a salvation quest (can't remember the name of it, it was before you talk to the duke though). Kinda got surprised by the cyclopes that was in there and he killed before I knew what happened. Other than that, I haven't found this game to be challenging at all. Is it my class (started as warrior, then went to assassin)? Or is it just people exaggerating how hard it is like they do with dark souls? Does it get any harder than this? (Should mention that I just did the quest where you go after the griffin)

Second, where do I get the really good loot from? Is it just all random? I went into souflayer cannon and all i got was loot for magic archer and mystic knight which was kind of disappointing. I heard that you can get good loot from everfall but I'm a long way from being able to do that. So am I just going to be running around in ok loot until then?

Finally, what level should i be at end game? I'm 37 right now. I'm trying to do all the side quests I can b/c I heard that you can fail quests so I'm trying to make sure that doesn't happen. Am I over leveled? Under leveled? What level should I be before beating the game?

Unless you're playing on hard, the difficulty evens out pretty much when you get to Gran Soren. From then on the game isn't really challenging at all. Even on Hard, once you get past the Wyrmhunt quests the difficulty essentially becomes the same as normal. The difficulty balancing is probably the biggest fault of this game. The only way to up the difficulty is to handicap yourself by not using pawns, but that takes some of the fun out of the system..least for me, I loved seeing others' pawns.

Treasure in the game is probably the second biggest fault lol. The loot is randomized and meant to be farmed, but truth is you can pretty much always get the best shit from vendors. By the time you get to Everfall or BBI, the loot is still randomized and you're slowly running out of stuff to gear up for anyway.

I did all the quests before the Dragon and was around 60 when beating the first half of the game on hard. I'm fairly sure anything above 40 will guarantee you beat the game without issue. The game is very good, but nothing quite captures that awesome feeling of the first 10 or so hours when you have to fear shit like those bandits on the way to Witchwood. That feeling disappears pretty soon.

gogosox8

Unless you're playing on hard, the difficulty evens out pretty much when you get to Gran Soren. From then on the game isn't really challenging at all. Even on Hard, once you get past the Wyrmhunt quests the difficulty essentially becomes the same as normal. The difficulty balancing is probably the biggest fault of this game. The only way to up the difficulty is to handicap yourself by not using pawns, but that takes some of the fun out of the system..least for me, I loved seeing others' pawns.

Treasure in the game is probably the second biggest fault lol. The loot is randomized and meant to be farmed, but truth is you can pretty much always get the best shit from vendors. By the time you get to Everfall or BBI, the loot is still randomized and you're slowly running out of stuff to gear up for anyway.

I did all the quests before the Dragon and was around 60 when beating the first half of the game on hard. I'm fairly sure anything above 40 will guarantee you beat the game without issue. The game is very good, but nothing quite captures that awesome feeling of the first 10 or so hours when you have to fear shit like those bandits on the way to Witchwood. That feeling disappears pretty soon.

Damn. A little disappointing about the difficulty. Maybe I'll do a hard mode run after I've beaten it. Wow, random loot? Had no idea. I figured it would be based on what class you were etc. So i guess it was a good idea to give the idol the blacksmith then lol. I'm loving this game, I guess I was just hoping the difficulty would bump back up a bit. It was fun running for my life at the beginning of the game as weird as that sounds. Was kind of hoping that would happen again soon but I guess not. I heard bbi was pretty hard so hopefully I'll get a good challenge when i go there.

Dizzy-4U

Ok, just fought the Hydra inside Everfall. It took me 30 minutes to bring it down, jumping from head to head, riding like a friggin cowboy and barely made it with little to no health because the pawn I hired to heal me spent most of the time dead on the floor.

It was beautiful, super intense battle (LVL.50).

maomaoIYP

You can fine tune the difficulty by having less pawns. Starting from scratch on hard with no pawns is harder than anything I've ever played.

You can get very good loot from soulflayer canyon, but each treasure box and gathering spot has a fixed drop list, the better items have a lower drop rate etc. You have to farm each spot by kill yourself in order to get the best loot.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't know about the loot tables.... spending an evening godsbaning to get the twilight set.... uhhh...

Meanwhile, I've ventured into BBI. Nifty place. Killed some huge chained cyclops, that thing had like 11 health bars lol.

I don't know about the loot tables.... spending an evening godsbaning to get the twilight set.... uhhh...

Meanwhile, I've ventured into BBI. Nifty place. Killed some huge chained cyclops, that thing had like 11 health bars lol.

Don't even bother with the everfall. The loot in bbi is better, you get it more quickly with less effort and more fun. For level 2 and 3 drops you might want to Godsbane a little, but you can basically only get 1 of 3 rolls when you purify an item.

So say you've got a level 3 weapon. If you go fighter/fighter -- strider/strider or mage/mage that will yield a weapon in either the red yellow or blue tier. So you can actively decide what kind of gear you would like

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Don't even bother with the everfall. The loot in bbi is better, you get it more quickly with less effort and more fun. For level 2 and 3 drops you might want to Godsbane a little, but you can basically only get 1 of 3 rolls when you purify an item.

So say you've got a level 3 weapon. If you go fighter/fighter -- strider/strider or mage/mage that will yield a weapon in either the red yellow or blue tier. So you can actively decide what kind of gear you would like

I godsbaned for a while and got two pieces of the golden lion set.

Going to use that.

BBI being always night is amazing for assassin class, I'm running with 1400 strength lol.

Oh, purified the cyclops drops, got the delta guard. Not bad!

I godsbaned for a while and got two pieces of the golden lion set.

Going to use that.

BBI being always night is amazing for assassin class, I'm running with 1400 strength lol.

Oh, purified the cyclops drops, got the delta guard. Not bad!

Bbi isn't actually always night. It does cycle through day and night it just isn't reflected in the environment. You can tell by the outline of your. Character whether it is night or not and also by checking stats.

Top Bottom