• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

froliq

Yeah I just went back and edited out the spoilery stuff. Wasn't thinking that someone new might come and read this. Ok well I have the eternal ferrystone so that shouldn't be a problem. Do you know where I go to access my equipment etc
since inn isn't there anymore?

You can access it at the pawn guild. Also guards only attack you in
the noble quarter or whatever it is called, the part where the king lives.
The rest is still accessible.

For those who don't know, if you fall into a platform while descending the everfall you won't die, or even take very much damage. Quite often its easier to simply splat yourself.

Soodanim

I've been trying to get a Ninefold Bolt band for ages now. I've been going through BBI from shortcut 2 to the last area before the boss and Lifting out. I spent a great deal of that time as MA w/ Sorc, and had no luck. I Googled this morning and found a GameFAQs thread that said I should try pure yellow classes, so now I'm going through as Strider w/ Strider. No luck so far.

I have managed to get all three possible Strider's Bands though, which have given me an appreciation for how godly Brain Splitter is. It's a shame that I don't find occasion to ever use the other two skills (Stepping Stone and Cloudburst Volley). The only possible use I can think for Soaring Stone in BBI is to get a boost up on a prisoner gorecyclops to use Brain Splitter all the way back down.

I'm currently at about 205 hours into my first playthrough, and I'm not going into NG+ until I get Ninefold. Although with my backlog, I shouldn't really be letting myself play this for too much longer. I was thinking of doing NG+ solo, but there's not really much point in that "disadvantage" if I have all my gold forged gear on me.

I've been trying to get a Ninefold Bolt band for ages now. I've been going through BBI from shortcut 2 to the last area before the boss and Lifting out. I spent a great deal of that time as MA w/ Sorc, and had no luck. I Googled this morning and found a GameFAQs thread that said I should try pure yellow classes, so now I'm going through as Strider w/ Strider. No luck so far.

I have managed to get all three possible Strider's Bands though, which have given me an appreciation for how godly Brain Splitter is. It's a shame that I don't find occasion to ever use the other two skills (Stepping Stone and Cloudburst Volley). The only possible use I can think for Soaring Stone in BBI is to get a boost up on a prisoner gorecyclops to use Brain Splitter all the way back down.

I'm currently at about 205 hours into my first playthrough, and I'm not going into NG+ until I get Ninefold. Although with my backlog, I shouldn't really be letting myself play this for too much longer. I was thinking of doing NG+ solo, but there's not really much point in that "disadvantage" if I have all my gold forged gear on me.

Ive actually received about 6 bands that have nine fold on them. I usually roll mk with str pawn. From my experience the class you roll with as you search for gear isn't as important as the color affinity when purifying. You most likely need to be yellow yellow when purifying but upon pick up who knows. Just make sure you farm level 2 and 3 gear as good bands and rings come from both.

gogosox8

You can access it at the pawn guild. Also guards only attack you in
the noble quarter or whatever it is called, the part where the king lives.
The rest is still accessible.

Thanks :) I wanted to access some gear and herbs since I've all but ran out after
the dragon fight
and the first chamber.

Shanks

Anyone have an idea on what is the issue with my game? It's continuously starting in offline mode even when I'm connected to PSN. I've been playing for weeks and this just started..

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Anyone have an idea on what is the issue with my game? It's continuously starting in offline mode even when I'm connected to PSN. I've been playing for weeks and this just started..

You turned online connectivity to on in the options menu and saved it? And it just resets to no every time you boot? Maybe reinstall the game.

Soodanim

I got my Ninefold bolt band, but I'm somewhat disappointed. I don't know what I expected. I know exactly what it offers: a 50% increase in bolts. I think it's somehow less fun going back to MA from Strider, because it's so beastly and because of the lack of Splitter moves that make you airborne it makes me near untouchable. It's still more fun than MK though. Great Cannon being the only real ranged attack makes it a boring class.

Actually, what do you do if you go melee only and need to hit some airborne/high enemies? I've only ever been yellow classes and MK.

kaiju

If you've ever started in offline mode it saves that option the next time you load the game.

I'm so bad, bought two copies at Launch, and I've yet to start this expansion yet >_>

So behind in my other games. I hope the Pawn community is still pretty strong.

Recall

Every time I think I'm out my urge to keep playing is too strong. As my pawn maxed out vocations in fighter and warrior I changed her to a strider for my NG+.

Can someone explain how vocation rank levels up as my main character is strider also but only rank 6 where my main pawn is level 8? Both characters became strikers at the same time too.

Made it pretty far into BBI I think - have the second Void Key. The enemies in Pilgrims Gauntlet were giving me a hard time, so wondering if I should try and level up a little more before moving on (mid 50s).

Been leveling up as an Assasian for most of the game - a few vocation changes to get some augments, although if i wanted to focus on increasing my stamina pool - any class I should switch to for a bit?

Soodanim

Been leveling up as an Assasian for most of the game - a few vocation changes to get some augments, although if i wanted to focus on increasing my stamina pool - any class I should switch to for a bit?
Ranger gives the most stamina per level, although I don't remember the exact numbers.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm so bad, bought two copies at Launch, and I've yet to start this expansion yet >_>

So behind in my other games. I hope the Pawn community is still pretty strong.

I feel bad that I haven't played the expansion yet, since DD is one of my favorite games, but I just can't justify dropping $40 on it. =/

Recall

It's a shame getting pawn hired is highly unlikely unless you are extremely high level. Mylevel 76 seems not good enough for others :(

klee123

After playing through BBI and getting the best gear for most classes, I think Magic Archer is the best vocation. I used to think Assassin was the top tier class, but they are pretty much useless against enemies who are weak only to magic like living armor.

A combination of Magic Bow and Daggers can pretty much rip through any enemy in the game. The only issue I have with the class is the stat growth.

Arklite

After playing through BBI and getting the best gear for most classes, I think Magic Archer is the best vocation. I used to think Assassin was the top tier class, but they are pretty much useless against enemies who are weak only to magic like living armor.

A combination of Magic Bow and Daggers can pretty much rip through any enemy in the game. The only issue I have with the class is the stat growth.

Definitely effective. Only thing that might trip up MA are metal golems if strider/ranger pawns aren't being useful. There's only like one in all of BBI, though.

Soodanim

Definitely effective. Only thing that might trip up MA are metal golems if strider/ranger pawns aren't being useful. There's only like one in all of BBI, though.
There's a metal golem in BBI?! I never encountered one in my whole first play through.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I ran as MA from about halfway through the campaign to BBI and it was great..but also ridiculously boring. I either ignite myself and jump on something to one shot it in seconds, or spam sixfold. I feel like the class needed one more distinguishing ability to make it stand out.. with a Ranger you at least have the added mechanic of actually having to aim your shots. When I eventually do my NG+ run I think I'm just gonna try out a Warrior and see what it's like to have nothing but melee at your disposal.

Oublieux

Any particular reason the game isn't in 16:9? I think it's 16:10 or something.

Not so much a difference in ratio than it is a reduction in resolution. To eke out performance, Capcom essentially cut out a bit of horizontal resolution. It isn't too bothersome, I think.

I ran as MA from about halfway through the campaign to BBI and it was great..but also ridiculously boring. I either ignite myself and jump on something to one shot it in seconds, or spam sixfold. I feel like the class needed one more distinguishing ability to make it stand out.. with a Ranger you at least have the added mechanic of actually having to aim your shots. When I eventually do my NG+ run I think I'm just gonna try out a Warrior and see what it's like to have nothing but melee at your disposal.

Tried doing MA at one point - but found the dmg so low at the time that I got annoyed and went back to an Assassin - although only had access to the most basic of starter gear at the time, and hadn't leveled up as a magic casting class at all so low mag attack.

Some of the skills look fun, but I sort of like the manual-aim of the other other bow-using classes. Tempted to try it again at some point, but not sure if it'd be worth the effort of switching at lvl 55 due to my mag being so low.

I'm an expert

Tried doing MA at one point - but found the dmg so low at the time that I got annoyed and went back to an Assassin - although only had access to the most basic of starter gear at the time, and hadn't leveled up as a magic casting class at all so low mag attack.

Some of the skills look fun, but I sort of like the manual-aim of the other other bow-using classes. Tempted to try it again at some point, but not sure if it'd be worth the effort of switching at lvl 55 due to my mag being so low.

The class is completely reliant on mag. I had max ranked sorcerer before I switched to MA as the augments are a must. I'd pretty much be doing the same thing if I switch to war, gimping myself in reverse with low str, but whatever the game is so easy anyway. MA is a great class, it's after a good 20-30 hours with it I just wasn't sure why I was playing it. I never had insane gear or anything but the damage seemed decent..at least everything in Everfall died instantly when I was about level 50.

I really love the lighting in this game:
HrGsgjO.jpg

Capcom's output this gen has been pretty disappointing to me, but Dragon's Dogma is a gem.

sagat2036

Missed out on this gem, but now regretting I got the ps3 DD verison. I could have gone to my gamestop and be playing by now.

Had to free up like 20Gb and, from this thread, its gonna be like a hour to install.

Currently at 20%

Framerate is a non issue with Dark Arisen, doesn't affect gameplay at all.

I play as Magick Archer and in battles against the Ur-Dragon or other big bosses it often becomes a slideshow when there are lots of particle effects on the screen in Dark Arisen. Although TBH it doesn't bother me because it's like the game is going into a Bullet-time slomo and it gives me more of a chance to appreciate all of the awesome stuff that's happening on-screen :)

Recall

I think missing out on quality gameplay and a genuinely fun game because of frame rate spikes is insane. Then again if people want to miss out its their own problem not mine.

I think missing out on quality gameplay and a genuinely fun game because of frame rate spikes is insane. Then again if people want to miss out its their own problem not mine.

The only "spikes" that happen are with certain magic effects cluttering the screen. I once had 3 magic cannons on the field and my pawn used hailstorm volley on them. It actually went down to 0 fps and I thought it broke my ps3. Otherwise anything else is really just a "dip". Certain areas seem prone to dips for no reason but I never had an issue that I really thought detracted from my enjoyment of the game.

Tenrius

Whoever said anything about skipping the game because of this? It's hard to argue that there's much room for improvement in that department regardless.

Slygmous

Caxton is in love with me and I don't have the heart to hurt his ugly mug :(

Also, I finally beat the game and started NG+...

That ending wtf

ShinAmano

So I just picked this up after not playing DD in a long time. I am lost...how do I follow the main quest so I can finish the original story?

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Picked this game up to play on 360 over my vacation and so far I like the gameplay quite a bit. I really wanted a PC version but I finally gave in and purchased the console one after waiting for a year and a half at least--whenever it came out originally.

Bad thing is, I find the textures atrocious (and the resolution itself). Even with the HD pack installed, the textures are the worst I've seen in a game in a long time, at least on clothing, etc. I guess I was too used to PC gaming or something the past year and a half, I didn't realize console games had looked this way (rose colored memory i guess). I think a lot of it has to do with the sub-HD rendering, but man. This game could look so awesome on a next-gen machine.

Everything just seems so blurry to me. The shadow flickering on some of the trees when they move also is distracting. I would love an HD remaster of this game, but I'm going to keep plugging on, despite the eye-burn the graphics cause. It almost reminds me of playing Wii games. Almost.

I actually thought something was wrong with my game and reinstalled the texture pack, but it was already installed. Oh well. The game itself is great and I guess that's the main thing that matters.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
So I put the game down for about a year and I'm getting back into it with Dark arisen. I started a new save, because I don't remember a thing. How do you do damage to things when you get rid of the guy who imbues your weapons with fire? I cant seem to hurt anything without that spell.

So many holy shit that was awesome moments so far, like my first fight vs an ogre, but i'm having issues at the moment doing any real damage without rook. Do I actually need that spell to be effective early game?

Pakkidis

So I put the game down for about a year and I'm getting back into it with Dark arisen. I started a new save, because I don't remember a thing. How do you do damage to things when you get rid of the guy who imbues your weapons with fire? I cant seem to hurt anything without that spell.

So many holy shit that was awesome moments so far, like my first fight vs an ogre, but i'm having issues at the moment doing any real damage without rook. Do I actually need that spell to be effective early game?

The beginning of the game is somewhat challenging, leveling up makes the game considerably easier. Just keep plugging away I say.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
You're a saint for putting up with that.

...Thank god I'm not a PC gamer...
I still think something funky is up with my version because it looks like a beta build. This happened to me before with Fable 2 where I thought something had to be wrong, but multiple systems and tvs still showed the same.

I wasn't trying to be a elitist dick, I just wanted to see if this was normal or just something others put up with. For a game released in 2012, I was surprised. Technically, the game works great with the big environs and few load times. It was the blurry and non hd visuals that made me double take.

Top Bottom