• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Z..

The Bitterblack weapon's are substantially stronger than Ur Dragon weapons, Especially the level 3 weapons.

I actively refuse to play Assassin/Ranger class because of how trivial it makes the game. With the correct items and gear you can kill everything in about 10-15 seconds.

Once you reach a certain point in the game Pawns stop being too useful.

How is 90 more str "substantially stronger"? Ranger sucks ass, dagger skills are horrible, it's basically just spamming tenfold, no fun at all... Assassin is quite balanced in DA, tbf. Fighter and strider are useless when yuo have Assassin, I don't like playing mage/sorcerer, so essentially I mostly play Ass, MK and MA.Warrior is cool, but becomes very underpowered in these later stages, sadly.

You are really doing it wrong then.
Lv 3 gear is drastically better then anything you get before. Especially weapons.
Also about 50% of Heavens Keys power comes from holy enchantment. Fire Drakes have high resistance against holy though, so there goes half of your power with that weapon.

As an Asassin you will want to down a Drake as quick as you can with your bow. Once he is on the ground, jump to his chest and mash away with 1000 Kisses (of course you need those lv 3 rings for your vocation) and he will be dead in 10 seconds. It's not that hard.

Later you will get rooms with 2 or 3 Drakes at once, so you really need to adjust your gear if one of them is giving you trouble already.

That's why my mage has ice affinity. And, again, how is 90 more str "drastically better"? You guys are simply refusing to acknowledge the game's flawed progression, here... Just because you were already lvl 200 when you fought it doesn't mean that's how the average person does it. It's in the wrong place. At my level it's a fucking chore. A very very boring one, too. And since I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be and have all the gear I should (in theory) at the point I'm at, there's only the game's design to blame, here.

Anyway, I went ahead and dived into Hard mode, gonna start BBI over. ^^

theta11

How is 90 more str "substantially stronger"? Ranger sucks ass, dagger skills are horrible, it's basically just spamming tenfold, no fun at all... Assassin is quite balanced in DA, tbf. Fighter and strider are useless when yuo have Assassin, I don't like playing mage/sorcerer, so essentially I mostly play Ass, MK and MA.Warrior is cool, but becomes very underpowered in these later stages, sadly.

I'm comparing swords but the increase between the weapons classes is comparable. Swords are the only ones where I have both gold forged so for convenience I'll compare them.

Gold forged Ascalon is: STR 838 MAG 639
Gold forged Devilsbane is: STR 1848

In addition to only having to pass one defense stat Devilsbane can be enchanted to increase the damage even more. Also the enemies, especially drakes have high defense. Fire Drakes have high HP and high resistances to when your damage is split you do noticeably less damage to them.

xaosslug

anybody have a spare Rusted Bow, per chance? I haven't had any luck @ gather spots, and Reynard is not available. :( It doesn't need to be DF'd or anything. I can do that myself. Thanks!

Pakkidis

Just started BBI with a 104lvl assassin. Just got to the part
with the super large troll with the big spike club, who promptly killed my entire party, I was of course able to defeat him
I am going to assume the monsters lvl to your lvl when you start.

Is their any fast travel here, or do I unlock shortcuts as I progress?

theta11

my bad - PS3.
Can't help then, I'm on 360. :p

Just started BBI with a 104lvl assassin. Just got to the part
with the super large troll with the big spike club, who promptly killed my entire party, I was of course able to defeat him
I am going to assume the monsters lvl to your lvl when you start.

Is their any fast travel here, or do I unlock shortcuts as I progress?

They don't scale level, and yes you do unlock shortcuts as you progress, two of them.

Recall

I just finished the 2nd form of BBI and awakened Daimon at level 100 :)

Not sure what else to do, currently sat at level 104 and everything has been done. Should I farm level 3 gear for my pawn?

kaiju

Finally platinumed the game, which took me 4 1/2 playthroughs. Yeah, that Hero trophy isn't easy unless you follow a guide for it step by step.

Think I may go for the Blackwing Bow and MA ring then call it a day.

theta11

Finally platinumed the game, which took me 4 1/2 playthroughs. Yeah, that Hero trophy isn't easy unless you follow a guide for it step by step.

Think I may go for the Blackwing Bow and MA ring then call it a day.

Tell me about it, I had to follow a guide too, there was quest I would have missed completely without it. >_< By the time I got that achievement I was already level 200. =/

xaosslug

OK,so I got a lvl.3 cursed weapon. When I purify as magick archer (w/ main pawn as sorcerer) I get dominion claw, and when I purify w/ my main pawn as strider I get framae blades... is there any chance I can get blackwing bow if I keep dying/retrying to purify this same cursed item?

YoungOne

OK,so I got a lvl.3 cursed weapon. When I purify as magick archer (w/ main pawn as sorcerer) I get dominion claw, and when I purify w/ my main pawn as strider I get framae blades... is there any chance I can get blackwing bow if I keep dying/retrying to purify this same cursed item?
No, it will remain the same item you have to get another lvl3 cursed item to try again.

flonty

Help me GAF
I can not decide for which vocation to go.
Mystic Knight or Warrior? I read a lot negative things about the warrior so I'm really not sure.
Should I go Warrior or Mystic Knight? I need your opinion GAF

why don't you try and see what you like? there is no wrong way in this game. try them both.

Exactly. You can't really get yourself into a 'bad' position with your character, even if you try. You might not end up with the optimal build, but you won't end up with a bad one; even the worst possible choices from a min/max perspective won't snooker you, you might just need to level up a little bit more before taking on BBI.

Personally I think the enjoyment from trying various classes far, far outweighs the possible benefits of going with a min/max build.

AlphaQuack

Neo Member
Could anyone give me some advice on taking down the Cursed Dragon on Bitterblack Isle? I am literally tearing my hair out after all the failed attempts i've had on this damned bird, and it is stopping me from progressing and enjoying the rest of this amazing game.

So i am a lv. 60-ish Fighter teaming up with a Strider and Mage for this dungeon - and both my pawns just keep getting hit by the tail and contributing nothing to help me take this bird down. I've managed to take down the dragon for the majority of his bars but only because the dragon got stuck in a loop of animation when i was holding onto his front leg stabbing his Crystal for a proper 4-6 minutes. After all my mushrooms and other stamina curatives were gone it was just a fight until i messed up and got hit by his acid bomb and instantly died.

I am at the point of giving up, but i have loved every second of this game but i don't want to waste my time on these bosses when i get home from work and just want to continue the adventure.

Ugh. Also i do have that Dragon's Maw skill in case your interested.

Sera O

Banned
Could anyone give me some advice on taking down the Cursed Dragon on Bitterblack Isle? I am literally tearing my hair out after all the failed attempts i've had on this damned bird, and it is stopping me from progressing and enjoying the rest of this amazing game.

So i am a lv. 60-ish Fighter teaming up with a Strider and Mage for this dungeon - and both my pawns just keep getting hit by the tail and contributing nothing to help me take this bird down.

Is the cursed dragon spawning from being attracted by corpses? If so you may be able to run through and avoid until you are stronger. There is a part in a cathedral area where you encounter one with a bishop dude as part of BBI progression, but otherwise you can just run from it.

Failing that, can you get some higher level pawns to help you? You can send me a friend request (PSN: volpanic) and I'll set my pawn up as a mage with the appropriate skills to save you RC. Enemy knowledge helps a lot in BBI.

I didn't experiment much as fighter, but it was relatively safe to be under the dragon's chest and tusk/antler tossing until the dragon fell and was vulnerable for mawing. If you have stamina, the safest way is to cling to the dragon and just keep normal-attacking the crystal. It's best not to be dead-center on the chest (he can grab you or swipe at you if you are). The regular sword attack should hit the crystal even if you are kind of in his armpit.

If you don't have ascalon, make sure your caster has holy affinity for help with damage. Remember that you can stack periapts to raise your def and your attack and make the fight shorter.

klee123

Finally got the Virge of Madness and Diabolical Shield on one BBI run.

My damage output just got a lot higher.........

Starting to appreciate Maces a lot more now, especially when their damage rating is just below Longswords which is just insane IMO.

Guess I'll let my pawn stay as a fighter using Devilsbane.

Astarte

Help me GAF
I can not decide for which vocation to go.
Mystic Knight or Warrior? I read a lot negative things about the warrior so I'm really not sure.
Should I go Warrior or Mystic Knight? I need your opinion GAF

Warrior if you want to cleave shit in half and feel like Gatsu. Mystic Knight if you want your system to suffer

Pakkidis

So i am a lv. 60-ish Fighter teaming up with a Strider and Mage for this dungeon - and both my pawns just keep getting hit by the tail and contributing nothing to help me take this bird down. I've managed to take down the dragon for the majority of his bars but only because the dragon got stuck in a loop of animation when i was holding onto his front leg stabbing his Crystal for a proper 4-6 minutes. After all my mushrooms and other stamina curatives were gone it was just a fight until i messed up and got hit by his acid bomb and instantly died.

I am at the point of giving up, but i have loved every second of this game but i don't want to waste my time on these bosses when i get home from work and just want to continue the adventure.

Ugh. Also i do have that Dragon's Maw skill in case your interested.

I was running with a lvl 105 assassin and I was getting my ass rocked, don't' see how you could possibly do it.

Just beat BBI and the main game for a second time with my assassin, I'm pretty much done with the game now, I'm not into grinding. May play again sometime with a magic archer anybody have any experience with them?

AlphaQuack

Neo Member
If you don't have ascalon, make sure your caster has holy affinity for help with damage. Remember that you can stack periapts to raise your def and your attack and make the fight shorter.

Yeah i've been meaning to get my hands on Ascalon for some time now but haven't actually made the effort for it (thinking something better would drop along the way..). Im currently running around with a sword called Eden's Warden which is almost upgraded to its limit but it is nothing compared to the stats of an Ascalon which would surely help me out a lot in BBI.

Should i just leave the dungeon and head straight for the Ur-Dragon or continue with my current gear and hope for the best?

Update: Thank the gods! Managed to take the bird down and get my Dragon's Dogma forged and on top of that level up. Best way to start my vacation on!

stn

Got the game today, love it!!! Few questions...

1. I installed the texture pack and Japanese voice track first. I put the game disc in and have tried to install it. Doesn't work? I noticed the game is running MUCH quieter than other games so it is already installed?????

2. Is there any point to buying any of the item DLC? I love unique gear but wouldn't want to pay for gear that I can already get.

Thanks.

Slygmous

Got the game today, love it!!! Few questions...

1. I installed the texture pack and Japanese voice track first. I put the game disc in and have tried to install it. Doesn't work? I noticed the game is running MUCH quieter than other games so it is already installed?????

2. Is there any point to buying any of the item DLC? I love unique gear but wouldn't want to pay for gear that I can already get.

Thanks.
1. The game takes ages to start installing, but it will eventually. Mine did. Can't comment on it running quieter because I never tried it without installing.

2. There's only one armour DLC for Dark Arisen, and its available from the shop at Bitterblack Isle. It includes clothing worn by some new NPCs.
There are also some rings that grant extra high level skills on the Marketplace that you probably won't need to think about for a while anyway.
Anything else on the marketplace is already included on the Dark Arisen disc.

gogosox8

Finally beat this after taking a break to play other games. Wow, the ending is one of the best endings I've ever seen in a game. Makes me pretty excited for Dragon's Dogma 2 (at least I hope they plan on doing a sequel. I think it sold pretty well so maybe we'll get another one). My only thing is, why wasn't the rest of the story centered around the ending? It seems like most of the game's story is irrelevant to what happens at the end. There are so many things about this game that are confusing but at the same time interesting. Great game, too bad it took me this to getting around to playing and beating it.

stn

How in the hell do you install this game on the 360? Whenever I choose "install" it just does nothing. Is this a known problem?

Slygmous

How in the hell do you install this game on the 360? Whenever I choose "install" it just does nothing. Is this a known problem?
It took a few full minutes before it actually started for me.
It's happened to others as well, I don't know why. It could vary for different 360 models maybe?

Grisby

On my slim it took a few minutes to start spinning up and installing. The process acts really weird with DD for some reason.

stn

Ok, I'll wait next time I insert the disc. None of you guys experienced any console problems afterwards, right? I am loving the hell out of this game, sad I didn't buy it when it first released. So good!

Thanks.

kaiju

Thanks.

No. You'll find better gear through cursed items. So unless you just like the looks, I'd say pass.

vg260

Just picked up DA last week. At what level is it ok to start into BB Isle? I'm at 100, but have only been doing some offline UR Dragon runs.

kyubajin

Got the game a week or so ago, 40+ hours in I just met the Duke :D Doing EVERYTHING and exploring everything.

My char has maxed out Fighter, Assassin and I'm currently working on Mystic Knight to then jump into Magical Archer. Am I doing it right?

My pawn has maxed out Mage and Sorcerer but she's a full time healing Mage now. I'll be applying weapon buffs with the MK and my hirelings should be in charge of the DPS. Should I get a Ranger and a Warrior? Any recommended parties?

IvorB

Just picked up DA last week. At what level is it ok to start into BB Isle? I'm at 100, but have only been doing some offline UR Dragon runs.

I did BBI at around level 50. Just killed final boss for first time yesterday at level 80. Think 100 might be a bit overpowered but I think the game does some scaling.

IvorB

Finally beat this after taking a break to play other games. Wow, the ending is one of the best endings I've ever seen in a game. Makes me pretty excited for Dragon's Dogma 2 (at least I hope they plan on doing a sequel. I think it sold pretty well so maybe we'll get another one). My only thing is, why wasn't the rest of the story centered around the ending? It seems like most of the game's story is irrelevant to what happens at the end. There are so many things about this game that are confusing but at the same time interesting. Great game, too bad it took me this to getting around to playing and beating it.

The ending bugs me because
I made my choice and the game just turned around and said 'wrong, try again'.

vg260

I did BBI at around level 50. Just killed final boss for first time yesterday at level 80. Think 100 might be a bit overpowered but I think the game does some scaling.

Oh man, I'm even higher now. Oh well. Gonna start in.

My imported save to Dark Arisen was post-game the second time through, with all the quests done w/ max affinity and the best results to get that achievement. From my understanding all the original armor DLC that is included in DA has to be found from merchants. However, in post-game, are they still accessible? I really don't want to start the story over. I prefer to keep the Everfall open and harder enemies active. Am I out of luck?

IvorB

My imported save to Dark Arisen was post-game the second time through, with all the quests done w/ max affinity and the best results to get that achievement. From my understanding all the original armor DLC that is included in DA has to be found from merchants. However, in post-game, are they still accessible? I really don't want to start the story over. I prefer to keep the Everfall open and harder enemies active. Am I out of luck?

I don't really know about DLC amour to be honest. But there is a merchant on BBI so you could always check. He is close to the surface when you first meet him so you could check before going too deep. He is the only merchant on the island as far as I am aware.

To be honest I think BBI is better that the post-game Everfall. Once you start adventuring there you won't want to leave. I just started my second playthrough of BBI and they restocked the whole dungeon with just insane sh*t that I had never even seen before. It's so hardcore, man. It's glorious. :) It's just so action-packed.

Slygmous

The DLC is available from one merchant, and I'm pretty sure you can still buy from him post game...
I started on BBI at level 100, and it's been quite difficult on normal difficulty. It's more based on weapon stats than your level, so get new gear quickly.

theta11

The DLC armor is available the from Black Cat merchant. In post-game he's located behind the tavern in a dead end.

IvorB

The DLC is available from one merchant, and I'm pretty sure you can still buy from him post game...
I started on BBI at level 100, and it's been quite difficult on normal difficulty. It's more based on weapon stats than your level, so get new gear quickly.

I think it also scales to be honest because I'm fairly sure I felt a ramp up during my play through. Could have imagined it though...

Anyone know if my character can still get a haircut post game? I think he needs a makeover...

Sojourner

Neo Member
I think it also scales to be honest because I'm fairly sure I felt a ramp up during my play through. Could have imagined it though...

Anyone know if my character can still get a haircut post game? I think he needs a makeover...

The barber is gone post-game, but you can still edit your appearance outside of the game via the editor if you buy that one charm thing from the vendor at the Encampment.

Sera O

Banned

The barber is gone post-game, but you can still edit your appearance outside of the game via the editor if you buy that one charm thing from the vendor at the Encampment.

I think the barber is in the craftsmen's quarter in post-game. Look for the tents in the field.

Sojourner

Neo Member
I think the barber is in the craftsmen's quarter in post-game. Look for the tents in the field.

Oh, yeah, I always forget there are people over there. Is there anyone else of note in the section post-game? Guess I should wander through there at some point and have a look around.

Top Bottom