• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Essay

I'm just getting back into DD on 360 after picking up Dark Arisen for cheap. Probably hadn't played in a year (blame Dark Souls), having left off at "Stage 4" with my lvl ~35 pawn and Arisen. Turns out the Eternal Ferrystone makes everything so much more palatable, and I'm back to enjoying myself.
Damn Arisen's Bond failed to make Mercedes my waifu though... what the heck did I do to make Selene so head-over-heels for me? o_O From now on I run around unsheathing my daggers everywhere, except in the face of my one true love. xD

Second I reached post-game I spent RC on the full Character Edit feature and played around trying to create likenesses of fighting game characters. Settled on molding my pawn into a Sol Badguy knock-off since I could purchase a half-decent approximation of his Holy Order getup at my level. If anyone wants to rent out Order-Sol, a lvl 57+ Warrior, my gamertag is Northofself. Friend me if it'll save you the RC.

Mutombo

I'm having a bit of trouble at BBI. I'm level 61, but damn, killing everyone takes ages. I'm an assassin with the chilling razors bought from Barroch.

Maybe I should switch back to Magic Archer? I've about halfway mastered MA, but it might be a bad idea because I leveled too much as a warrior/assassin and lose out on the magic offense stats?

Or what else do I do? In order to upgrade my gear I'd have to venture deeper...

klee123

I'm having a bit of trouble at BBI. I'm level 61, but damn, killing everyone takes ages. I'm an assassin with the chilling razors bought from Barroch.

Maybe I should switch back to Magic Archer? I've about halfway mastered MA, but it might be a bad idea because I leveled too much as a warrior/assassin and lose out on the magic offense stats?

Realistically until you get the BBI specific gear, you'll have a hard time there.

You shouldn't really start until you have some Ur Dragon gear dragonforged.

IvorB

I'm not so sure that chopping and changing is great because your stats will be all over the place if you level up in a bunch of different classes. That's my understanding anyway. For BBI you need to be pretty on point and your build needs to be strong.

This game is on PS+ so I guess more people will be playing soon. I swear to god, I can't get enough of this game. I'm just wondering around trying to find where this Crucible of the Lost DLC will spawn right now. I don't have a f**king clue where I am going and I don't really care. I just love the combat that much.

Mutombo

Also, is the DLC included in the Dark Arisen?

And as for continuing; what advice do you give? Just go slowly and level, or go back to Everfall and do some Ur runs? Switch to Magick Archer? And when do I get level three skills? Still not seeing them.

klee123

I'm not so sure that chopping and changing is great because your stats will be all over the place if you level up in a bunch of different classes. That's my understanding anyway. For BBI you need to be pretty on point and your build needs to be strong.

This game is on PS+ so I guess more people will be playing soon. I swear to god, I can't get enough of this game. I'm just wondering around trying to find where this Crucible of the Lost DLC will spawn right now. I don't have a f**king clue where I am going and I don't really care. I just love the combat that much.

Yeah, this is pretty much one of my favourite games of this generation. I hope Capcom nurtures this IP and announces a sequal on next gen consoles.

IvorB

Yeah, this is pretty much one of my favourite games of this generation. I hope Capcom nurtures this IP and announces a sequal on next gen consoles.

Yeah loving this game. These days I can lose interest in games pretty quickly but I'm still playing the sh*t out of this game. There was the main game and I explored that map far and wide. I didn't even bother taking many quests; I just wanted to see what was over the next hill.

By the time I did the main quest I was way OP but that was okay. I was doing post game content for a while then Dark Arisen came out and it just sealed the deal. Playing BBI was easily one of the best gaming experiences ever. The increased difficulty really made the combat shine and the music just rocks. The whole thing is so damn epic.

Even if Capcom never makes a sequel I will honestly be satisfied that I have played the sh*t out of this game and still going strong. And every time I feel like I've finished it, Capcom throw another dose of crazy sh*t at me. Just awesome.

Also, is the DLC included in the Dark Arisen?

And as for continuing; what advice do you give? Just go slowly and level, or go back to Everfall and do some Ur runs? Switch to Magick Archer? And when do I get level three skills? Still not seeing them.

All DLC is on the disc except for a few things released after Dark Arisen; you can find all the regular DLC at the Black Cat merchant in Gran Soren.

If you're having trouble in BBI, do some Ur runs / Everfall to level or get some good gear -- though, you find Everfall loot much more easily in BBI. Going Magick Archer can be a big help, but play whatever you enjoy.

The lvl3 skills come in the forms of Rings (augment 1 skill) and Bands (augment 2 skills) that can be found as loot or Cursed items that must be purified; lvl2 cursed items will get you Rings, and lvl3 cursed items get you Bands, among other useful things.

Mutombo

fucksake guys. This game.

It's not like Dark Souls, were actual skill makes you kill bosses. It's just damn fucking patience. And I'm running out.

I'm at the Dark Bishop and his Cursed Dragon now. And I gather magic damage doesn't do much damage... I'm a Magic Archer, and so it goes.

I manage to take the dragon down, or at least to get it possessed, but as soon as it's possessed I get my ass tornadoe'd and I'm dead. Haven't managed to get down ONE ball of health. Let alone seven.

What do I do? Stick with it? Use a liftstone to witch back to Assasin and walk all the fucking way back down?I really like Dragons Dogma, but these bosses that take more patience than skill are just bad game design.

Essay

It's not like Dark Souls, were actual skill makes you kill bosses. It's just damn fucking patience. And I'm running out.

I'm at the Dark Bishop and his Cursed Dragon now. And I gather magic damage doesn't do much damage... I'm a Magic Archer, and so it goes.

I manage to take the dragon down, or at least to get it possessed, but as soon as it's possessed I get my ass tornadoe'd and I'm dead. Haven't managed to get down ONE ball of health. Let alone seven.

What do I do? Stick with it? Use a liftstone to witch back to Assasin and walk all the fucking way back down?I really like Dragons Dogma, but these bosses that take more patience than skill are just bad game design.

I went into that fight for the first time last night as a level ~70 Sorcerer (which I'm only using to improve my Magick Archer's magick stat) and managed to off the Bishop in minutes with a few casts of regular Maelstrom. The whirlwind stunlocks and absolutely wrecks the guy. If you've levelled Sorcerer to 7, this turns out to be an easy solution. Keep some Fire Spells handy in case you need to contain the Cursed Dragon, and you should be golden.

Also, I don't *think* that you'll have to do much fighting on the way back down if you Liftstone up. My initial fight with the Cursed Dragon in the Tower of Treasons Repaid ended with me Liftstoning back up to swap spells, and on the way back down, everything was still dead until the Gorecyclops.

Dresden

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Grand_Scension

Wrecks the dragon hard, and also does a good bit of damage on the bishop.

Mutombo

Used lift stone to go back to assasin. and speedrun way back. enemies are back to life though.

Also - don't tell anyone this - I switched to easy mode. It was too tempting :-|

Not noticing that much of a difference though.

Edit: Beat him! Was on my own for the latter part of the fight. Too bad I didn't beat him as a magic archer and got my precious stuff dragonforged, and too bad I wussed out on EASY, but I beat him.

Fire charged bolts from a holy-enchanted staff. Nothing kills shit faster in this game than holy focused bolt.

Coconut

Banned

It's still an RPG you might just be under leveled.

IvorB

Don't hate on the game if you can't hack it, bro. Much skill required to defeat BBI enemies. Go to riftstone and tweak your team. Switch skills if you have to. He will go down just like everything else in that cursed place.

Also most enemies that cast magic in BBI leave a trail on the ground at the area of effect in the few seconds before the spell actually kicks in. You must look out for these and avoid getting caught by it. Pretty sure this guy is the same but I can't remember for sure.

Turn the difficulty back up and get back out there :).

Somax

Just started this game, finally (thanks EU PS+)!
I'm still trying to understand its mechanics, but right now it looks really awesome.
I really have to start fidgeting with menus and merchants, since I'm still running around in my basic clothing and with the starter wizard staff.
The handling of spells in the game (with the charging time + stamina consumption) is such a refreshing news instead of the bog standard "mana-magic-charges" resource.

IvorB

I finally found the Crucible of the Lost DLC and dayyy-mn. Must have been about
ten living armours and two wights
in a room together. Totally mental. I think I will try to lure the undead to the entrance and take them on there then. Then I can make a plan for the living armours.

Annoying thing is the room resets everytime you reload. They killed me the first time and when I went back in there it was the
wargs and what-not
which isn't anything to write home about.

If I can defeat all of these then I think will try second form Daemon again, head back to the Everfall and finish the game.

pje122

Thanks. So my main character and my main pawn have just maxed out all our red circles. I guess that means we should switch vocations? I am a fighter and she is a mage. I want to stay melee and I want her to stay magic. I guess I should just move to a warrior and move her to a sorcerer?

IvorB

Thanks. So my main character and my main pawn have just maxed out all our red circles. I guess that means we should switch vocations? I am a fighter and she is a mage. I want to stay melee and I want her to stay magic. I guess I should just move to a warrior and move her to a sorcerer?

You don't have to move if you don't want to. You can still level up your stats in your chosen vocation. Mage pawn is more useful that sorcerer pawn I reckon.

It's pretty beneficial to max out all the like vocations to get all of the augments. IIRC, Sorcerer has some augments that are good for a Mage: shorter cast time, and others.

In other news, I have nothing to play/do anymore so, for the hell of it, I put on two Bloody Knuckles and beat up a Drake today. That was fun.

bLaiSe

I finally got this game thanks to PS+. 15 hours in and really enjoying it. It's such a fresh experience after some western RPGs. It has its learning curve but I'm really digging it so far.
Two questions:
Do I lose my vocation rank if I change it?
Can I sell the items I get from From a Different Sky quests or can they be used for something?

IvorB

But that means I won't have the opportunity to learn new skills, right?

It's pretty beneficial to max out all the like vocations to get all of the augments. IIRC, Sorcerer has some augments that are good for a Mage: shorter cast time, and others.

In other news, I have nothing to play/do anymore so, for the hell of it, I put on two Bloody Knuckles and beat up a Drake today. That was fun.

It depends where you want to be I guess. You won't gain any new skills if you don't switch vocation but your skills will get stronger because your stats will increase in line with that vocation.

If you switch you will start to increase different stats that are possibly unrelated/useless to what you want your character build to be. So that is also a consideration. Then there is also the augments issue as mentioned above which is an argument for switching.

Or possibly you don't want to read too deeply into it and just want to play around and have fun with different classes in which case, by all means, switch it up. :)

But I would decide now what vocation you want to end up in and make your choices based on that rather than switching around for the sake of it. Figher -> warrior seems logical.

IvorB

I finally got this game thanks to PS+. 15 hours in and really enjoying it. It's such a fresh experience after some western RPGs. It has its learning curve but I'm really digging it so far.
Two questions:
Do I lose my vocation rank if I change it?
Can I sell the items I get from From a Different Sky quests or can they be used for something?

No. You will always keep any vocation rank you attained even if you switch.

Just imagine a new DD on the next-gen systems.

Maybe they could expand the pawn system to have them keep outposts/bases for you and stuff.

Or to lead a pawn army in large scale battles. So many possibilities. Will buy day one for sure if they ever decide to make a sequel.

Got this on EU PS+ and since it's a japanese game I was expecting some copycat of Monster Hunter (I remember playing 30 minutes of the first one back in the PS2 days and that's my exposure to the series, It might be identical for what I know) but oh boy If I was wrong: every time you think you've seen all the areas there's a new one, and so on for the monsters, skills, equipment, music, quests and plot twists. I was blown away but the scale and quality of this game.

There are a few things I'd like Capcom to improve for a sequel (I've played the digital edition so I don't have the manual and maybe they're explained there). I felt that most of the mechanics weren't well explained: for example I didn't know I could romance (?) characters until the battle with the dragon. Or I started using teleport crystal about 15 hours in because I didn't know I could place them anywhere in the map.

Recommended to everyone, truly a gem of this generation imo.

(Did I say I friggin love night encounters?)
2HptrCJ.jpg

Got this on EU PS+ and since it's a japanese game I was expecting some copycat of Monster Hunter (I remember playing 30 minutes of the first one back in the PS2 days and that's my exposure to the series, It might be identical for what I know) but oh boy If I was wrong: every time you think you've seen all the areas there's a new one, and so on for the monsters, skills, equipment, quests and plot twists. I was blown away but the scale and quality of this game.

There are a few things I'd like Capcom to improve for a sequel (I've played the digital edition so I don't have the manual): I felt that most of the mechanics weren't well explained: for example I didn't know I could romance (?) characters until the battle with the dragon. Or I started using teleport crystal about 15 hours in because I didn't know I could place them anywhere in the map.

Recommended to everyone, truly a gem of this generation imo.

(Did I say I friggin loe night encounters?)

Most of us didn't know you could romance as well at the start. Or how to get the person you wanted.

There's a reason this image exists. :p

QG5JlOk.jpg

IvorB

The romancing was a bit of an issue to be honest. I didn't get any opportunity to romance anyone despite playing extensively. Then at the end
Grigori had that young lady from the Witchwood down as my true love. I really don't know where he got that idea from. I only did the standard quests with her. I think the ending would have been so much better if he had placed my pawn in the circle and asked me to sacrifice him. In this case there is no way I would have sacrificed him. But Selene from the Witchwood? Yeah you can have her.

That's actually another beef I have with this game. They have this whole choice of ending and then they just disregard my choice as invalid and force me to fight the dragon. Honestly, if this game had allowed me to come all this way to kill the dragon and then end up cutting a deal with him and walking away without a fight, I would have been praising this game's story high and low. Because that is proper role-playing and that would be an ending and a half.

Mutombo

I'm going to try the final boss of BBI again, first time I tried I was level 70 and it took ages. I've got a new and better magic bow and improved my daggers, and am 78 now. Any tips are welcome though.

derwalde

just started this game. wow my assisin (~lvl 16) is getting raped by bandits (southwest to the starting village). i once was in the capitol city und bought some gear, but damn i die in about 3 hits und my damageoutput seems really low. where can i level up properly?

other than that: damn this game feels great.

^^^
Yeah, the bandits are surprisingly tough when you're low level, they get manageable when you're in the 20's, I think.

I'm going to try the final boss of BBI again, first time I tried I was level 70 and it took ages. I've got a new and better magic bow and improved my daggers, and am 78 now. Any tips are welcome though.

You can cheese him by popping 4 Periapts to boost your magic and hitting him in the chest with either 6/9fold or the multi-shot Holy thing, but shoot the Holy shot when right in front of him so all/most of the bolts hit his chest.

When he goes down, just Hundred Kiss his face. All of his attacks can be avoided by rolling, as well.

Donos

WTF. Just saved manually before talking to the phantom at the pier which starts the Dark Arisen DLC. Then i thought it would be good to look up when it would be good to play the DLC since i'm only lvl 12 and pretty far at the beginning of the game. So after i landed in the DLC level, i quit the game and loaded it new. Now my save is some ancient 4 hours old auto save point. Did i just loose 4 hours of the game?

Just read that there is sometimes a savegame bug but wtf Capcom. Since i'm only lvl 12 nothing major happened in this 4 hours but it's still a pain in the ass. Not going to be nice playing the game further with the fear that my savegame could dissappear now and then. Don't want to save it to a HDD every 30 min.

Again, wtf Capcom !

And yeah this bandit group gangbanged on me pretty hard (i was around lvl 10) when i came back from the witchforest.

Donos

Holy, what is a good lvl to clear Vestad hills (west of the Witchforest) ? The bandit guys with sword and shield are pretty tough. Archers and striders a no real problem except the sheer amount of them. There's also a big ogre close to the beach who just stompt me to death -_- . My Party is lvl 14 but i have not found good gear so far.

Mutombo

^^^
Yeah, the bandits are surprisingly tough when you're low level, they get manageable when you're in the 20's, I think.

You can cheese him by popping 4 Periapts to boost your magic and hitting him in the chest with either 6/9fold or the multi-shot Holy thing, but shoot the Holy shot when right in front of him so all/most of the bolts hit his chest.

When he goes down, just Hundred Kiss his face. All of his attacks can be avoided by rolling, as well.

He wasn't that hard, just getting him down took a while because I was saving the petriapts for when he was down.

After that I spent almost 45 minutes at the chests reloading for a level 3 weapon. I didn't get one. That sucked. Do the moongems open doors to level three weapons? Or do I have to fight Daimon again? Or try to kill Death - which still seems quite impossible?

He wasn't that hard, just getting him down took a while because I was saving the petriapts for when he was down.

After that I spent almost 45 minutes at the chests reloading for a level 3 weapon. I didn't get one. That sucked. Do the moongems open doors to level three weapons? Or do I have to fight Daimon again? Or try to kill Death - which still seems quite impossible?

If that was your first time beating him, I don't think the chests drop lvl3 stuff, only lvl2.

Moonbeam Gems open the doors in Duskmoon Tower, the open courtyard after the first area of the first stratum; it would be best to google and find out what's behind each door so you don't waste a Gem on something you don't need. There's pretty good stuff behind some of them and it autosaves right after opening a door, so no open > check > reload.

Killing Death is very easy with a Ranger, whenever it appears just pop 4 Conqueror's Periapts, a Liquid Vim, and let the Tenfold Flurries fly. You can usually take away a bar and a half off Death before it chickens out and disappears.

Yeah, each one gives a 20% boost of your current dmg; so when you stack them, it takes the boosted stats into account, almost doubling your output.

So it becomes: 1000 > 1200 > 1440 > 1728.

I think that's correct. You can also throw on Bloodlust and Autonomy to really boost your stats -- using a Ranger and doing that, I could kill Daimon in 30 seconds.

Mondy

Banned
Happy to say I'll be starting this one up completely free of charge*. Looking forward to it after reading GAF hype.

Thank fuck for PS Plus.

*PS+gamesarenotfreeyestheyare.

IvorB

Anyone know the best place to farm level 3 gear on BBI? I'm on my second run through and have access to the Crucible of the Lost DLC. I need new gear for my character; my pawn gets all the good stuff... :-(

Anyone know the best place to farm level 3 gear on BBI? I'm on my second run through and have access to the Crucible of the Lost DLC. I need new gear for my character; my pawn gets all the good stuff... :-(

Daimon runs.

- Switch to Ranger if you're not one.
- Get the best bow you can.
- Buy tons of Large Mushrooms from the alchemist lady in Gran Soren.
- Buy tons of Conqueror's Periapts from Fournival.

You want to run by every enemy on your way to Daimon, only stopping at certain chests that can give you lvl3 gear/novelties, which are:

Corridor of the Hallowed - none, run by everything.
The Forgotten Hall - run by everything, but climb up into the alcove of the last hallway and open the two chests, occasionally a Strigoi will follow you up.
The Bloodless Stockade - none, run by everything. Take the left route.
Sparyard of Scant Mercy - open the two chests directly opposite of where you spawn, kind of difficult with two wyms/drakes on your ass, but doable -- just roll.
The Fallen City - none, run by everything. The quickest route is over the rooftops on the left, jumping to the middle where a wyvern usually is, then dropping down in front of the bridge leading to Daimon's chamber. Run by the Eliminators / Living Armors.

For Daimon himself, have Bloodlust/Autonomy, pop periapts and 10fold him in the face, you can use Blast Arrows if you don't have a good bow but they're really heavy. For his 2nd form, eat mushrooms and use periapts if needed right at the start, then 10fold him in his now bigger face.

You can save right before fighting him and reload if he doesn't drop a lvl3 item himself, but I found his drop rate too low to be useful -- then again, I did seem to get the Hellfire/Oblivion pieces more easily when I got armor drops from him. After he's dead, save right before entering the treasure room, open the chests one at a time and save each time you get a lvl3 item, the items are:

[]Armor
[]Moonbeam []Novelty, Gear (rarely)
[]Weapon

When nighttime passes (it does, even though it's always dark), you have to return to Gran Soren and sleep to advance to night again, the benches in BBI don't work.

pje122

Man this game is confusing. I have no idea what's going on.
I beat it, I think. Killed the dragon, saw the credits. Now the world looks all messed up.
I fell into that hole and killed the Beholder, but now I'm not sure how to get out. I can only keep falling but I'm not sure I want to do that. I want to go back up into Gran Soren.

IvorB

Daimon runs.

- Switch to Ranger if you're not one.
- Get the best bow you can.
- Buy tons of Large Mushrooms from the alchemist lady in Gran Soren.
- Buy tons of Conqueror's Periapts from Fournival.

You want to run by every enemy on your way to Daimon, only stopping at certain chests that can give you lvl3 gear/novelties, which are:

Corridor of the Hallowed - none, run by everything.
The Forgotten Hall - run by everything, but climb up into the alcove of the last hallway and open the two chests, occasionally a Strigoi will follow you up.
The Bloodless Stockade - none, run by everything. Take the left route.
Sparyard of Scant Mercy - open the two chests directly opposite of where you spawn, kind of difficult with two wyms/drakes on your ass, but doable -- just roll.
The Fallen City - none, run by everything. The quickest route is over the rooftops on the left, jumping to the middle where a wyvern usually is, then dropping down in front of the bridge leading to Daimon's chamber. Run by the Eliminators / Living Armors.

For Daimon himself, have Bloodlust/Autonomy, pop periapts and 10fold him in the face, you can use Blast Arrows if you don't have a good bow but they're really heavy. For his 2nd form, eat mushrooms and use periapts if needed right at the start, then 10fold him in his now bigger face.

You can save right before fighting him and reload if he doesn't drop a lvl3 item himself, but I found his drop rate too low to be useful -- then again, I did seem to get the Hellfire/Oblivion pieces more easily when I got armor drops from him. After he's dead, save right before entering the treasure room, open the chests one at a time and save each time you get a lvl3 item, the items are:

[]Armor
[]Moonbeam []Novelty, Gear (rarely)
[]Weapon

When nighttime passes (it does, even though it's always dark), you have to return to Gran Soren and sleep to advance to night again, the benches in BBI don't work.

Thanks for the intel, mate. I was worried you were gonna say that.
I tried second form Daimon a couple of times but didn't really make much headway. First form is no problem but the second form I could do hardly any damage on and his annoying spectral smacks just kill me.

I've played pure Sorceror build all the way through and still pretty happy with it. It destroys everything I have encountered so far except the second form of our friend. Not sure how feasible it is to switch to ranger now with f**k all stamina and no idea how the class even works. Hmm... gonna try Diamon again soon and see if a few extra levels have made any difference.

Top Bottom