• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Celestia :)

It's a good challenge, to be sure! The slowness of Warrior can make things really tough, especially if you want to deliver the big hits successfully to your enemies.

Sorcerer/Mage are slow too, but they have in their disposal one of the best moves in the game that can be cast quickly and from a distance: Focused Bolt.

Warriors get the best light jump attack though...
I've noticed that light jump attack actually deals a good chunk of damage

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
What the fuck am I reading? I thought the game looked fine, great, even. The post above me has some valid criticisms (even if all these things are mild and minor to me, the only thing that bothers me is the worse-than-Blighttown framerate in some particularly hectic fights with lots of spell-flinging going on), but some of the hyperbole earlier is just flat-out absurd.

Like this. You clearly have no recollection of what PS1 games look like. Like, no recollection whatsoever if you'd say anything like this.

I meant when you walk through them, and sometimes you're in a fight, and the horrible foliage texture get's in the way. Yes, I remember what PS1 looked like. Those shit foliage tree textures are bad.

It's a wholly uneven game graphically.

Good thing the game itself makes up for it.

Celestia :)

It's a good challenge, to be sure! The slowness of Warrior can make things really tough, especially if you want to deliver the big hits successfully to your enemies.

Sorcerer/Mage are slow too, but they have in their disposal one of the best moves in the game that can be cast quickly and from a distance: Focused Bolt.

Warriors get the best light jump attack though...
i don't find his speed to be a problem at all thus far. just can't be wreckless and have to time exodus slashes well. i still see his team role as tank. despite being stated as more offensive than a fighter, i don't think that means you should expect to outdps a ranger or sorc.

BadWolf

Thanks for carrying my pawn guys and sorry if your's come back without rating etc., I'm doing BBI and pawns are getting wiped out left and right.

Not sure how far I'm into BBI right now but so far so good.

Started the area at level 55 (Assassin) and am level 61 now and not having too much difficulty going through yet so Laughing Banana's level 50 recommendation for BBI seems about right thus far.

Jinaar

Assassin - Level 153 (basically have been assassin from level 10+)
Yesterday I did a 3 hour run from start to finish of BBI, fighting everything and locating all chests and ore deposits. Standing on my side of the bridge looking at the door to Daimon, I said no no no no no no to myself and Lifestoned back to homebase. Going to do my first fight on him tonight. He's not that hard.... right? :p

I have been running BBI with just my Mage Pawn alone. Thinking I can do BBI round one like this but BBI round two will need a full crew.

Now obviously my Magick is low, so fighting the Living Armor and Wraith's were a pain in the arse. Besides Heaven's Key and maybe an Augment to enhance magick, is there a magick based bow for the Assassin? ((update) Oh found it, Dragon's Ire, has STR and MGK. I guess that will be my go too weapons when it counts.)

I've been running with Instant Reset/Masterful Kill/Hundred Kisses and its been doing me well enough. Any assassins running with Gale Harness and Hundred Kisses?

Dagger wise I have the Helbarte Daggers enhanced to the 2nd last level just before Gold (5x Elder Ogre Fangs). I haven't lucked out in getting Framae Blades yet. :(

Using Dragon's Rancor at the moment. Dragon's Ire obviously is my next upgrade to that and I have the Moon Gem to get it too.

Other than all this, man is Dark Arisen the best Expansion ever this generation. Next Gen can wait while I gobble this up whole heartedly!

I use Gale Harness (actually, I use Tempest Harness). It's great to do some speed Daimon runs.

Daimon it's not that hard but he can catch you off guard with one of his attacks. But you will get a surprise when you fight him in the second run through Bitterblack.

EDIT: Since you didn't kill Daimon yet, you can farm Death in The Bloodless Stockade. Use Blast Arrows and a Blessed Flower.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I killed the Daimon and I've been going through BBI a second time with the new monsters, but I have yet to kill Death at all. He always destroys my pawns (idiots...) and I do fine with 100% sleep resist, but I do so little damage that I barely dent his HP bar before he flees. I'm gonna have to abuse those magic lamps in the Stockade I think, rinse and repeat. Sounds boring though... but I really want to kill the fucker now.

Death always spawns in The Bloodless Stockade before you kill Daimon.

After you kill Daimon, Death leaves the Stockade and spawns randomly in other areas of Bitterblack.

There is a trick if you want fight/farm Death after killing Daimon.

In the first area of Bitterblack (Garden of Ignominy), Death is likely to appear if you encounter saurians in the beginning of the area. If you encountar goblins intead, just leave and reenter.

After you kill the saurians and the Gorechimera use a Rancid Bait Meat in the courtyard.

Step

Does anyone know how to make Reynard spawn?, I want to do Search Party but on my NG+ he never showed up in the middle of the road outside of Cassardis at the beginning and I can't find him anywhere else, I've done Come to court already, do I still have hope or I'll have to wait until a new game?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Assassin - Level 153 (basically have been assassin from level 10+)
Yesterday I did a 3 hour run from start to finish of BBI, fighting everything and locating all chests and ore deposits. Standing on my side of the bridge looking at the door to Daimon, I said no no no no no no to myself and Lifestoned back to homebase. Going to do my first fight on him tonight. He's not that hard.... right? :p

Level 153 is wayyyyyy overkill. Level 70-80-ish for his first form, level 90-100-ish for his second form. Depending on the equipment, you can even fight him sooner (or later, I guess........)

Anyways, people, please stop putting Guardian as inclination in your pawns -_______________-

Does anyone know how to make Reynard spawn?, I want to do Search Party but on my NG+ he never showed up in the middle of the road outside of Cassardis at the beginning and I can't find him anywhere else, I've done Come to court already, do I still have hope or I'll have to wait until a new game?

He's gone for that playtrough. You willl have to wait until a new game.

The first location is very important. In your next new game, if Reynard is across the street from the inn, he will appear on the road to the Encampment. If he isn't across the street, just sleep in the Inn untill morning.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There is a trick if you want fight/farm Death after killing Daimon.

In the first area of Bitterblack (Garden of Ignominy), Death is likely to appear if you encounter saurians in the beginning of the area. If you encountar goblins intead, just leave and reenter.

After you kill the saurians and the Gorechimera use a Rancid Bait Meat in the courtyard.
I saw that on some wikia, and tried it. Didn't work, no one came. Huh.

Anyways, people, please stop putting Guardian as inclination in your pawns -_______________-
I'm trying! But the stupid game resets it without my say-so. -_- And no, I haven't been using orders or commands, nor the knowledge chair. I used potions to reset to Challenger/Acquisitor (I like my pawn to be a mule xD) and at some point I checked and it turned to Mitigator/Guardian. WTF?

Step

He's gone for that playtrough. You willl have to wait until a new game.

The first location is very important. In your next new game, if Reynard is across the street from the inn, he will appear on the road to the Encampment. If he isn't across the street, just sleep in the Inn untill morning.

Welp that kinda sucks, but at least I can do that mission right at the start.

So I'm lv 5X and I guess Madeleine and the armory won't sell decent equipment set after the Lion helmet(I'm a Strider), Do I have now to start hunting for equipment in everfall or bbi?

Jinaar

When buying from an NPC there is an ITEM STORAGE tab.....

I have to go kill myself now .....

*was that guy that kept running back and forth to purchase items and then back to the inn keeper to manage items*

Level 153 is wayyyyyy overkill. Level 70-80-ish for his first form, level 90-100-ish for his second form. Depending on the equipment, you can even fight him sooner (or later, I guess........)

Is that my mage pawn Kaine? Lol, I thought Guardian/Medicant was good for mages. I was thinking of Utilitarian/Medicant but she didn't heal me as often.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is that my mage pawn Kaine? Lol, I thought Guardian/Medicant was good for mages. I was thinking of Utilitarian/Medicant but she didn't heal me as often.

Yeah, but not just only your pawn though!

Always make Medicant as your main inclination if you want to have a healer pawn!

In fact, I get the idea behind guardian, but the implementation is so messed up that it is pretty much the worst kind of inclination you can give to a pawn regardless of the role you wish he/she will take.

Xanathus

Welp that kinda sucks, but at least I can do that mission right at the start.

So I'm lv 5X and I guess Madeleine and the armory won't sell decent equipment set after the Lion helmet(I'm a Strider), Do I have now to start hunting for equipment in everfall or bbi?

There are two shop NPCs in Everfall which sell end-game (for the main game) level gear, or you can run through BBI and you'll meet the shop NPC in the 2nd map who also sells equivalent level gear.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
How do I stop my pawn from getting the Guardian inclination by himself? Without using commands or the knowledge chair. He's currently at Mitigator/Acquisitor, but I had to use an Acquisition potion to set him back, 'cause he switched by himself. :( Does this mean I get in trouble too often? xD

do you use "help" command? mine was originally challenger/guardian, but i guess my aggressive playstyle turned him scather/challenger somehow. currently forging pots for acquisitor at the black cat because i'm too stingy to spend rc, but it takes forever.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Perhaps I wasn't clear, but I haven't been using any commands at all and his inclination still changed.

I'm not sure how people ever run out of RC. I have over a million and the only thing to spend it on are this guy who sells the inclination elixirs, and the dragonforged+ upgrades. Maybe it's because I have many people with powerful pawns on my friendlist so I never ever have to spend RC to borrow pawns... xD

BadWolf

^Yeah, I made sure to stop using commands after I removed the Guardian inclination and it still popped up.

And I agree, the Guardian inclination is terrible and is making me not like the pawn system. Most of the pawns you see online have it and they just stand around doing nothing, so if a boss or big enemy gets me in a grip which I have to shake out of, its always death because they just stand there.

Haven't gone back to Gransys since hitting BBI but really considering to go back to grab a whole bunch of elixirs so I can fix my pawn from the dumb Guardian inclination every time it pops up.

In terms of progress, still going through BBI. Such a great area, find myself enjoying it way more than the Dark Souls DLC. Feels much more meatier.

My latest accomplishment is getting stuck alone (pawns got wiped out) in a room with a big cyclops and a Drake, finding a cheap spot where they couldn't hit me and spending the next hour or two spamming them to death with the bow. It was pretty sad, yet somehow satisfying.

And apparently you can stack those Conqueror (strength boost) items up to 4 times. The stacking is based on multipliers so the boost is supposed to be huge. Will try out if a boss gives me trouble.

There are two shop NPCs in Everfall which sell end-game (for the main game) level gear, or you can run through BBI and you'll meet the shop NPC in the 2nd map who also sells equivalent level gear.

When I hit around level 20 I dressed up my character based on looks and am sporting pretty much the same stuff at level 70 (doing BBI in new game plus). Really like the look so I just keep upgrading them.

Dunno if I'm looking at the stats wrong but the stuff I found in Everfall and BBI doesn't seem to be much of a jump from my old duds, if at all.

Tried to go to BBI on Easy at level 48. Man I got ruined during the Death fight, then finally made him go away, then got ruined by a bunch of Jack Skellingtons and just left.

It's weird, as a MK I'm able to do decent damage to them, but if I get hit, I get fucked. It's just silly, so I'll go through the story and get to a higher level. When will BBI not bend me over?

BadWolf

Tried to go to BBI on Easy at level 48. Man I got ruined during the Death fight, then finally made him go away, then got ruined by a bunch of Jack Skellingtons and just left.

It's weird, as a MK I'm able to do decent damage to them, but if I get hit, I get fucked. It's just silly, so I'll go through the story and get to a higher level. When will BBI not bend me over?

I started BBI as a level 55 Assassin on normal difficulty (after finishing the main game once) and am still holding up.

If your character is dying too easily then consider putting some levels into Fighter and Warrior to boost defense and health. You can also get some good augmentations from those classes (there is a +50 defense boost augmentation available right off the bat if you switch to Warrior, so spend a couple of seconds to at least get that).

the only thing i can think of triggering guardian is getting in critical health a lot or exhausting stamina, but that's just a guess. or maybe getting put in those holds that you have to shake out of.

they might also pick it up from pawns you hire if they also have it. it's like some contagious pawn disease, that guardian.

BadWolf

^Sure, if you need a support Mage then you can try mine.

PSN: Diavlestein
Pawn: Demitri

I'll carry your pawn some when I get home from work.

they might also pick it up from pawns you hire if they also have it. it's like some contagious pawn disease, that guardian.

That would suck but would also be kind of cool actually.

What inclinations should I give my pawn if I want him to attack with Grapnel and other good stuff often when not healing or buffing me? He's a level 70 Mage.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
^Sure, if you need a support Mage then you can try mine.

PSN: Diavlestein
Pawn: Demitri

I'll carry your pawn some when I get home from work.

That would suck but would also be kind of cool actually.

What inclinations should I give my pawn if I want him to attack with Grapnel and other good stuff often when not healing or buffing me? He's a level 70 Mage.

Aaaargh your pawn still has Guardian as primary!

Scather or Mitigator is alright, prefer Scather though. Utilitarian is also alright.

Anyways, I am a bit surprised to see the lot of you tackling BBI so quickly at level 48 to 50-ish! My Arisen and Celestia is now level 45 and I still haven't even gotten the 1st mission from Aldous yet, ahahahaha.

Been busy collecting medals and doing missions!

I started BBI as a level 55 Assassin on normal difficulty (after finishing the main game once) and am still holding up.

If your character is dying too easily then consider putting some levels into Fighter and Warrior to boost defense and health. You can also get some good augmentations from those classes (there is a +50 defense boost augmentation available right off the bat if you switch to Warrior, so spend a couple of seconds to at least get that).

Cool. I'll switch over for a while and get buff.

klee123

If anyone needs help feel free to add me on PSN (I'm on the GAF Pawn list). My Pawn is a lvl 200 Mage and her skill set is basically mostly suited to BBI (should still be able to tackle the main game). However I can change her class if needed.

They're underpowered when compared to BBI's gear... I would suggest you invest time in farming BBI's equipment instead--that is, if your point is to pursue the best equipment possible in the game.

I basically want every piece of gear in this game. I want to 100% this game finally. I have spent so much time on it, lol.

Aaaargh your pawn still has Guardian as primary!

Scather or Mitigator is alright, prefer Scather though. Utilitarian is also alright.

Anyways, I am a bit surprised to see the lot of you tackling BBI so quickly at level 48 to 50-ish! My Arisen and Celestia is now level 45 and I still haven't even gotten the 1st mission from Aldous yet, ahahahaha.

Been busy collecting medals and doing missions!

I liked the difficulty at the beginning when I was getting two shotted by bandits. Now I'm at Lvl 40 everything has become too easy. I'm a little disappointed. Chimera's, Ogres, trolls, golems don't even put much of a fight anymore. Thats why I decided to fight the dragon in devilfire grove. It was somewhat challenging since my pawns kept dying but nothing too difficult. AoD took away 3 health bars with Malignance. Thats the main reason I want to go to BBI because I heard its really difficult.

BadWolf

If anyone needs help feel free to add me on PSN (I'm on the GAF Pawn list). My Pawn is a lvl 200 Mage and her skill set is basically mostly suited to BBI (should still be able to tackle the main game). However I can change her class if needed.

What's a good set up for a Mage to tackle BBI?

Mine isn't of much use outside of healing.

I liked the difficulty at the beginning when I was getting two shotted by bandits. Now I'm at Lvl 40 everything has become too easy. I'm a little disappointed. Chimera's, Ogres, trolls, golems don't even put much of a fight anymore. Thats why I decided to fight the dragon in devilfire grove. It was somewhat challenging since my pawns kept dying but nothing too difficult. AoD took away 3 health bars with Malignance. Thats the main reason I want to go to BBI because I heard its really difficult.

Give it a shot then, its easy to get there and back. If you feel under leveled then you can just go back to finishing the main game and if not then have fun with the bigger challenge.

BadWolf

What's the fastest way to increase vocation rank? My arisen is a lvl 38 assassin and I want to get some augments that aren't complete garbage.

Read somewhere that killing lots of weaker enemies increases it fast (so like oxen, goblins and other stuff that gives experience in the 100 range).

jasonng

Is there ANY way I can turn off helmets and hats in this game? I refuse to cover the beautiful faces of my arisen and pawn.

What's the fastest way to increase vocation rank? My arisen is a lvl 38 assassin and I want to get some augments that aren't complete garbage.

Killing weak enemies that gives you 100XP max per kill.

The fastest way to increase vocation rank is in post game on the Noble Quarter at Gran Soren. You can use XP booster items like Pilgrim's Charm, Martyr's Talisman or a Blessed Flower.

Is there ANY way I can turn off helmets and hats in this game? I refuse to cover the beautiful faces of my arisen and pawn.

No. But there are cool head armours that don't cover the faces of the arisen and pawn like the Dragonwing Circle.

klee123

What's a good set up for a Mage to tackle BBI?Mine isn't of much use outside of healing.

The challenge a lot of people face with BBI is that a lot of the enemies have high resistance to physical attacks. The Eldar ogre in particular is nasty since they not only are fast and powerful, but they are also highly resistant to physical attacks.

A lot of the enemies in BBI however are weak to elemental attacks. So if you're playing as a class which do no magic damage such as Ranger, Fighter, Assassin etc you'll need elemental buffs.

In the main game, the enemies are mainly weak to Fire and Holy.

In BBI though the developers changed things up a bit and the most useful elements ended up being Ice, Lightning and Holy.

My Mage is setup to mainly provide elemental buffs (Ice, Lightning and Holy), heal HP and cure most status alignments. I did give my Mage one attack spell, but I don't think she uses it much in BBI anyways.

The reason why Magic Archers are so good in BBI is because they have the tools to take on almost every enemy in BBI without any need of assistance. The magic bow can rip through enemies who are strong against physical attacks and have a particular elemental weakness, whilst the daggers can be used for everything else.

The inclination area in the stats only shows the top 2 inclinations. I ended up using 10-15 potions of the top three I wanted. That way it prevents guardian/medicant from creeping up.

After doing that I didnt have any issue with my pawn staying as I potted him up for. It's possible it could be a bug or something.

I hope in the next one they give us more robust options for customizing how we want our pawns to act.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Killing weak enemies that gives you 100XP max per kill.

The fastest way to increase vocation rank is in post game on the Noble Quarter at Gran Soren. You can use XP booster items like Pilgrim's Charm, Martyr's Talisman or a Blessed Flower.

Not necessarily the fastest though, although it is the only place where you can do it on auto---leaving your controller on the floor and you do something else (like sleeping) while the game play itself to collect Vocation ranks.

And I am not sure those EXP boosting items affect vocation points... Just equip Ashura Mail that you get from killing Geo Saurian quest and you're all set.

I was hitting the Ur-Dragon with all I have and its life didn't go down, not even a scratch : (

Online? Note that you don't need to defeat it. Just scratch it is enough; when someone else defeats it you will be rewarded too.

Shengar

Not necessarily the fastest though, although it is the only place where you can do it on auto---leaving your controller on the floor and you do something else (like sleeping) while the game play itself to collect Vocation ranks.

Online? Note that you don't need to defeat it. Just scratch it is enough; when someone else defeats it you will be rewarded too.

Which PS3 did you own? Is it the normal slim or super slim?
I should've just picked the normal slim so I don't have to deal with this being unable to turned on bullshit D:

Top Bottom