• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Which PS3 did you own? Is it the normal slim or super slim?
I should've just picked the normal slim so I don't have to deal with this being unable to turned on bullshit D:

Normal Slim 160GB model. It's been collecting dust for a long while and it still turned on perfectly well when I need it :D

Soriku

I gotta get this game soon...ish.

Is sorcerer a fun class? I heard making the best Magick Archer requires you to be a mage for lvls 1-10 and a sorcerer from 10-200?

Not necessarily the fastest though, although it is the only place where you can do it on auto---leaving your controller on the floor and you do something else (like sleeping) while the game play itself to collect Vocation ranks.

And I am not sure those EXP boosting items affect vocation points... Just equip Ashura Mail that you get from killing Geo Saurian quest and you're all set.

It's the easiest way and helps those who want to min/max the character.

The EXP boosting items affect the vocation points. The multiplier is also applied to the Discipline Points gained. I know because I used them in the vanilla DD. In Dark Arisen, you can also use the Ring of Perseverance, which increases the Discipline Points gained by 50%.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I gotta get this game soon...ish.

Is sorcerer a fun class? I heard making the best Magick Archer requires you to be a mage for lvls 1-10 and a sorcerer from 10-200?

Sure, if you are after the highest possible damage from some of Magick Archer's signature moves. However, his/her stamina will be downright awful, as is his/her HP/Defense.

So no, not really "required."

And IIRC one of Magick Archer's best moves, Immolation, is physical based anyways.

It's the easiest way and helps those who want to min/max the character.

The EXP boosting items affect the vocation points. The multiplier is also applied to the Discipline Points gained. I know because I used them in the vanilla DD. In Dark Arisen, you can also use the Ring of Perseverance, which increases the Discipline Points gained by 50%.

Huh....

BadWolf

Cleared Bitterblack Isle, that was a seriously awesome chunk of the game.

In terms of stats, started the area as a level 55 Assassin and reached the final boss as a lvl 70, same class throughout. Didn't feel too hard or too easy, just the right amount of fun and challenge. Little to no grinding.

Probably only ran through 2 or 3 areas total and the rest were cleared properly.

The last boss was surprisingly fun and the music made it epic and memorable. Dug his story.
The Fallen City was a great way to lead into the final fight I thought

In terms of skills the only ones I found really useful were Thousand Kisses, Terrible Bend and Masterful Kill. They were useful up to and including the final boss.

Thanks to you guys I was never hurting for RC while in this area, had plenty for rebuilding rift stones, purifying items, upgrading equipment etc.

Now having gone through the main game and this new area I can safely give this game a 10/10, fantastic game and easily one of my faves of the generation.

The challenge a lot of people face with BBI is that a lot of the enemies have high resistance to physical attacks. The Eldar ogre in particular is nasty since they not only are fast and powerful, but they are also highly resistant to physical attacks.

A lot of the enemies in BBI however are weak to elemental attacks. So if you're playing as a class which do no magic damage such as Ranger, Fighter, Assassin etc you'll need elemental buffs.

In the main game, the enemies are mainly resistant to Fire and Holy.

In BBI though the developers changed things up a bit and the most useful elements ended up being Ice, Lightning and Holy.

My Mage is setup to mainly provide elemental buffs (Ice, Lightning and Holy), heal HP and cure most status alignments. I did give my Mage one attack spell, but I don't think she uses it much in BBI anyways.

The reason why Magic Archers are so good in BBI is because they have the tools to take on almost every enemy in BBI without any need of assistance. The magic bow can rip through enemies who are strong against physical attacks and have a particular elemental weakness, whilst the daggers can be used for everything else.

Thanks, yeah that's close to the set up I had, just healing and buffing.

Its unfortunate that they didn't balance the area for all classes outright but at least there are buffs and elemental weapons for physical classes to do well too.

Cleared Bitterblack Isle, that was a seriously awesome chunk of the game.

In terms of stats, started the area as a level 55 Assassin and reached the final boss as a lvl 70, same class throughout. Didn't feel too hard or too easy, just the right amount of fun and challenge. Little to no grinding.

Probably only ran through 2 or 3 areas total and the rest were cleared properly.

The last boss was surprisingly fun and the music made it epic and memorable. Dug his story.
The Fallen City was a great way to lead into the final fight I thought

In terms of skills the only ones I found really useful were Thousand Kisses, Terrible Bend and Masterful Kill. They were useful up to and including the final boss.

Thanks to you guys I was never hurting for RC while in this area, had plenty for rebuilding rift stones, purifying items, upgrading equipment etc.

Now having gone through the main game and this new area I can safely give this game a 10/10, fantastic game and easily of my faves of the generation.

Don't forget to do a second run through BBI. You will see some differences....

Did I said something wrong?

BadWolf

Don't forget to do a second run through BBI. You will see some differences....

I heard they throw ridonculous combinations of enemies at you.

Is it even fun or just frustrating? I'd rather end my experience with the game on a high note instead of clouding it with pointless frustration tbh.

I heard they throw ridonculous combinations of enemies at you.

Is it even fun or just frustrating? I'd rather end my experience with the game on a high note instead of clouding it with pointless frustration tbh.

Some are fun, others are challenging and the ones at
The Fallen City
don't worth the effort of wasting time and items do kill all the ridiculous monster combinations
(Death or Cursed Dragon + 2 Thunderwyverns + 6 Living Armors or Eliminators)
. At least it's easy to evade them.

But if you want all the equipment you have to do a second run and some farming.

No, it just the way he saying "uhum" or "oh yeah, okay!".

Ok, thanks. :)

BadWolf

Some are fun, others are challenging and the ones at
The Fallen City
don't worth the effort of wasting time and items do kill all the ridiculous monster combinations
(Death or Cursed Dragon + 2 Thunderwyverns + 6 Living Armors or Eliminators)
. At least it's easy to evade them.

But if you want all the equipment you have to do a second run and some farming.

Thanks, seems like I'll let it be then since I'm not into collecting equipment or farming.

Bitterblack Isle was really fun and memorable for me and I sort of want to keep it that way :)

Step

I really liked the ending with Selene as your Beloved,
so I guess the true destiny of pawns it's to gain humanity when helping to fulfill the journey of an Arisen, Does every Arisen have to stab themselves to become a true Seneschal and so their pawn can take the place of their master?

I really liked the ending with Selene as your Beloved,
so I guess the true destiny of pawns it's to gain humanity when helping to fulfill the journey of an Arisen, Does every Arisen have to stab themselves to become a true Seneschal and so their pawn can take the place of their master?

I took it to mean that the eternal ring of Dragon > Arisen > Dragon/Seneschal had been going for, well, eternity. Where each new Arisen would either either deal with the dragon; defeat the dragon and do nothing until they died or the next dragon came; or defeat the dragon and go on to become the new Seneschal.

It wasn't until this cycle, that the Arisen broke the ring by killing him/herself after becoming the Seneschal. Since there is no Seneschal, there is nothing to start the cycle anew.

I think Pawns becoming their master happens no matter what, every pawn you meet in the story has, or has begun to psychically change into their master's doppelganger, except Feste, but maybe that's a side effect of taking the dragon's deal.

Step

... except Feste, but maybe that's a side effect of taking the dragon's deal.

WUUUUTTT Is he really a pawn?

So this it was the first Arisen to kill himself, I thought it was something every Arisen had to do to become a true Seneschal.

And lol about the wiki page of Festel:
I changed my main pawn to look like this guy as best I could, including giving them a jesters outfit. I've recieved nothing but abuse and a 1 star rating in nearly everything, plus so much rotten meat I'm basically forming my own graveyard now.

That poor dude, he only wants a place to belong : (

WUUUUTTT Is he really a pawn?

So this it was the first Arisen to kill himself, I thought it was something every Arisen had to do to become a true Seneschal.

It's not explicitly stated but the Duke's pawn is most likely Feste or Ser Maximillian, I feel it's Feste because he appears with the Duke in the "tunnel of people" segment when encountering the Seneschal.

I think to become the Seneschal, the Arisen only has to release the previous Seneschal with the Godsbane Blade. Although, it would still make sense that the Arisen remains as the Seneschal even after Godbaning themselves, which gives their body and humanity to their pawn.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's not explicitly stated but the Duke's pawn is most likely Feste or Ser Maximillian, I feel it's Feste because he appears with the Duke in the "tunnel of people" segment when encountering the Seneschal.

I think to become the Seneschal, the Arisen only has to release the previous Seneschal with the Godsbane Blade. Although, it would still make sense that the Arisen remains as the Seneschal even after Godbaning themselves, which gives their body and humanity to their pawn.

Whaaaat? No way! The most expressive Pawn in the game is
Selene
and you can still see how awkward
she
is with people, and
Selene's
Arisen predates the
Duke
! Not to mention
Dragonforged' the Fool
. It makes no sense to say that Feste or Ser Maximillian are pawns. Just compare them with Barnaby, for instance!

It makes much more sense to say that the
Duke's pawn is actually Lenore
, which
he sacrificed because he feared Grigori too much to do battle with it.
It connects with the fact that no one actually knows where
his pawn has gone to after he 'defeated' Grigori.

Step

It would help me a lot if any of you guys could hire my pawn so I can get some RC, I'll start Bitterblack Isle and my gear sucks so badly.

Pawn: Mami
PSN: Josh-Shiki

She is a Medicant-Utilitarian

Xanathus

The Duke doesn't have a pawn because he took the Dragon's deal and it's implied that he sacrificed his pawn to the Dragon because his pawn was his beloved.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hmph,
I always figured it was just a regular person, since your "beloved" can be anyone except your pawn.

What? This is *certainly* not true as this is the entire point of the Dark Arisen itself o_O

Well, I think you might be talking about gameplay, but the in-world universe/stories clearly proves that this is not true.

Step

[/SPOILER] that whaaa~~~~ *runs in circles*

Death was a beginners trap : ( I was like "Bring it on bro" and I actually thought he was able to insta kill but I went rambo at the end : | what a mistake.

I'm still surprised how much I enjoy this game, it didn't clicked for me at the start but the more I played, the more I wanted to keep going, my only complaint is just dragonforge for pawns, I'm kinda lazy to play as a class I really don't want to use.

ZenaxPure

So been playing this thanks to PS+ and man I don't want to sound over dramatic or anything, but, I feel like I've been waiting for a game like this my entire life. Just has pretty much everything I want from a video game.

Anyway, I do have a question, I've been doing pretty much every quest (though I missed a few from progressing through the story, I think) and I've already maxed out some vocations on my characters... I think. Is it max when the red dots stretch across the status screen for it or is there more after that? I only ask because I feel like I'm not that far into the game and if so it seems like you can max them really fast. Also is there any reason to keep playing a certain vocation once I max it? Outside of wanting to play it of course.

I've been having a lot of fun with pretty much all of them so once I max something out I've just moved onto a different one, but, I don't know if I am missing out on anything by doing that.

Xevren

So been playing this thanks to PS+ and man I don't want to sound over dramatic or anything, but, I feel like I've been waiting for a game like this my entire life. Just has pretty much everything I want from a video game.

Anyway, I do have a question, I've been doing pretty much every quest (though I missed a few from progressing through the story, I think) and I've already maxed out some vocations on my characters... I think. Is it max when the red dots stretch across the status screen for it or is there more after that? I only ask because I feel like I'm not that far into the game and if so it seems like you can max them really fast. Also is there any reason to keep playing a certain vocation once I max it? Outside of wanting to play it of course.

I've been having a lot of fun with pretty much all of them so once I max something out I've just moved onto a different one, but, I don't know if I am missing out on anything by doing that.

10 is the max for vocation level, it's worth it to get augments since you can use them in all classes. Really just play what you enjoy.

ZenaxPure

it's worth it to get augments since you can use them in all classes.

Alright cool, I was wondering why I had augments from other classes, didn't know if it was a hybrid thing or what. That just makes me want to make sure I level them up even more.

Been having a lot of fun with it, the combat is amazing and more importantly the enemy design is top notch to the point where I think I'd still have fun with the game even if the core combat wasn't as good. Feels so good just fighting random bandits, and when I took on my first ogre it was just so awesome as a strider.

BadWolf

Leveling Assassin favours strength, Warrior favours health, Sorcerer is for magic, Ranger for stamina.

so you essentially dictate what stats your character excels at depending on what vocation your character is using when leveling up.

But (and this goes to everyone) keep in mind that the game absolutely does not require any kind of min/maxing. Even at the endgame your equipment will matter more than how many times you leveled up as a sorcerer vs. as an assassin. Experiment, try out all the classes, don't worry about having a "plan" to level up unless you are someone who can't stand not having the absolute highest number possible.

At first, I wanted to min max physical damage, but looking at the stat growth post 100 for assassins. Its great on attack, but nothing else. I'm thinking of rolling ranger 100-200 so I can at least get some magic defense. Or maybe go balance and strider vocation post 100. Don't want to repeatedly stare at the death screen while I'm doing BBI.
Once I get the augments I want, time to switch vocations. Wished core skills acted like augments. My level 31 assassin is still vocation rank 8 while my pawn already reached rank 9 for warrior and is vocation rank 5 in warrior. Do pawns get dcp at an accelerated rate? She started out as a strider.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
At first, I wanted to min max physical damage, but looking at the stat growth post 100 for assassins. Its great on attack, but nothing else. I'm thinking of rolling ranger 100-200 so I can at least get some magic defense. Or maybe go balance and strider vocation post 100. Don't want to repeatedly stare at the death screen while I'm doing BBI.
Once I get the augments I want, time to switch vocations. Wished core skills acted like augments. My level 31 assassin is still vocation rank 8 while my pawn already reached rank 9 for warrior and is vocation rank 5 in warrior. Do pawns get dcp at an accelerated rate? She started out as a strider.

No, but it is known that some vocations require more points to master than others. Assassin is one of the longest, IIRC.

ZenaxPure

But (and this goes to everyone) keep in mind that the game absolutely does not require any kind of min/maxing. Even at the endgame your equipment will matter more than how many times you leveled up as a sorcerer vs. as an assassin. Experiment, try out all the classes, don't worry about having a "plan" to level up unless you are someone who can't stand not having the absolute highest number possible.

Yeah this is how I've been playing. I tend to never care about min/maxing in RPGs until a second play through (and only when it's absolutely needed). I've already maxed strider on my character and I'm getting ready to max ranger as well. I think after that I am going to go back to fighter because the one quest I used it for I greatly enjoyed knocking enemies high into the sky then using the charge slam attack on them, so I want to see if they get any other ridiculous attacks like that.

BadWolf

I'm guessing there is no reason to play New Game+ on Normal? Its just way too easy.

The level of tension on BBI was so awesome that the main game feels a little low key now but that's also probably because I'm overpowered as heck for it now.

Is it possible to start a New Game+ on hard mode and is hard mode fun? From what I hear it starts off challenging but soon becomes a walk in the park because of the crazy amount of money and experience you get. Thinking of either trying that or maybe starting a fresh run on Normal as a Sorcerer or something.

Yup, just wanted to point out there is a consequence to using a certain class outside of gaining vocation skills etc.

LakeEarth

I finally fired up this game, and I see why everyone praises it. Kinda like an Elder's Scroll game, but with a cooler party system and (so far) better missions, more varied controls, etc.

Early in the game, I had to fight a giant hydra, and my weapons weren't doing shit. I decided to climb the thing, thinking I'd maybe climb to the chin and do some stabbing (I've been playing SOTC). A different head went to bite me off of it, which triggered a cutscene where I won and chopped off one of its heads. I had done 0 damage at the time. Did it damage itself trying to bite me off of it? I dunno, but I'll take it.

I then took the head to a new town and played several hours there, running into missions where the enemies were far too hard time and time again. In the end, I decided to head to the purple circle on my map, where I found a girl standing on the pier. Cue title card.

... I played the game for nearly 6 hours and I JUST triggered the title card? Fricken amazing! After playing too many "straight-line" games, I'm going to relish playing this game in any way I want.

Can't wait til I can afford new armor so that my character stops looking homeless.

ZenaxPure

On the topic of new game+ (since I assume there is one based on BadWolf's post) does anything carry over? I noticed there is a trophy for beating the game twice and I've been having so much fun with the game that I am absolutely going to try and platinum it. I'm just curious if I should go ahead wrap up my current playthrough and go to the next or not. I'm pretty close to the end I believe and depending on if anything carries over or not I may just clean up and then put all my effort into that next playthrough.

BadWolf

On the topic of new game+ (since I assume there is one based on BadWolf's post) does anything carry over? I noticed there is a trophy for beating the game twice and I've been having so much fun with the game that I am absolutely going to try and platinum it. I'm just curious if I should go ahead wrap up my current playthrough and go to the next or not. I'm pretty close to the end I believe and depending on if anything carries over or not I may just clean up and then put all my effort into that next playthrough.

Pretty much everything carries over, all of your equipment, items, materials etc. Even the port crystals carry over and will be where you left them.

ZenaxPure

Pretty much everything carries over, all of your equipment, items, materials etc. Even the port crystals carry over and will be where you left them.

That sounds great, I think I am just going to go ahead and finish up the story then and put all my focus on the NG+ then. Don't want to burn myself out on side quests I still have left by doing them multiple times.

I'm guessing there is no reason to play New Game+ on Normal? Its just way too easy.

The level of tension on BBI was so awesome that the main game feels a little low key now but that's also probably because I'm overpowered as heck for it now.

Is it possible to start a New Game+ on hard mode and is hard mode fun? From what I hear it starts off challenging but soon becomes a walk in the park because of the crazy amount of money and experience you get. Thinking of either trying that or maybe starting a fresh run on Normal as a Sorcerer or something.

Yup, just wanted to point out there is a consequence to using a certain class outside of gaining vocation skills etc.
I'm on my first playthrough on hard mode and it's already starting to get pretty easy so I'm assuming it'll be a cakewalk on New Game+ no matter what. Went to do the first of those quests you're giving after getting the Wyrm hunt license (the one where you fight the goblins at the Shadow Fort) and had almost no problems even with two pawns that are about 20 levels lower than me.

The only times I'm really encountering anything difficult nowadays are at night, though that has less to do with the enemies and more with barely being able to see anything.

BadWolf

That sounds great, I think I am just going to go ahead and finish up the story then and put all my focus on the NG+ then. Don't want to burn myself out on side quests I still have left by doing them multiple times.

Ditto, I also made sure to uncover the whole map so as to see everything (haven't enjoyed exploring in a game this much since Shadow of the Colossus) and because the map carries over into NG+ as well.

I'm on my first playthrough on hard mode and it's already starting to get pretty easy so I'm assuming it'll be a cakewalk on New Game+ no matter what. Went to do the first of those quests you're giving after getting the Wyrm hunt license (the one where you fight the goblins at the Shadow Fort) and had almost no problems even with two pawns that are about 20 levels lower than me.

The only times I'm really encountering anything difficult nowadays are at night, though that has less to do with the enemies and more with barely being able to see anything.

Thanks, guess I'll put aside this character and pawn for now then and start a fresh Normal run on an alternate account to keep things fun.

Step

So I'm trying to get Trophy Bracers and Adept's Hat, Does anyone know how to start Aid of the Emerald King II & IV? should I kill the dragon of the main game first so I can start those quest?

And I'm having the same problem with the wages of the death III, I finished already I & II but I go to the warrior's request board and it isn't there.

So I'm trying to get Trophy Bracers and Adept's Hat, Does anyone know how to start Aid of the Emerald King II & IV? should I kill the dragon of the main game first so I can start those quest?

And I'm having the same problem with the wages of the death III, I finished already I & II but I go to the warrior's request board and it isn't there.

Some of the BBI notice board quests don't pop up until after you defeat the dragon.

LakeEarth

Still early in the game. Tried switching my user to a Warrior, didn't realize I couldn't block with it, instant regret. But I spent a lot for a sword I could use and a lot of points to unlock the class type, so I'll stick with it for a bit. What are the classes you guys like? I might switch to a Mystic Knight to try out the game's magic system.

Xevren

Still early in the game. Tried switching my user to a Warrior, didn't realize I couldn't block with it, instant regret. But I spent a lot for a sword I could use and a lot of points to unlock the class type, so I'll stick with it for a bit. What are the classes you guys like? I might switch to a Mystic Knight to try out the game's magic system.

I played Assassin/strider back when I was on 360 and it was fun, assassin is pretty nutty. Playing the game again due to Dark Arisen being on psn+ and I am doing a Mystic Knight this time and it is pretty sweet. Great defense and buffs for the group, damage is great too once you know what things are weak to.

ZenaxPure

So far I've maxed out Strider and Ranger, and am halfway through Warrior and Assassin.

I've loved all I've played so far, but, the rogue classes have been my favorite just because how well a lot of their skills synergize with one another. Can unlock a passive ability that increases damage done on debuffed targets and have a few skills that cause debuffs. Then more active stuff like trigger to knock foes away and cutting wind to catch up to them while still doing damage, or once they're knocked over you can just get a lot of attacks in with light attacks + hundred kisses, plenty of other crazy stuff too. None of that is including the bow abilities either, which are kinda OP from my experience.

That said, I decided to focus on Warrior now and I still enjoy it as well. All of your attacks cleaving and doing multiple hits of damage per slash is godly. Not to mention knocking dudes into the air and then using that charge up attack on them is just bad-fucking-ass.

I broke the game though, I guess I just overleveled or poor tuning, but, the last few story bosses I've fought I literally one shot them.
Salomet
in particular was just ridiculous because there was the crazy cutscene with him and stuff but all I did was shoot one comet shot and he died :(

warrior has a move that gives full invincibility and is very spammable.

Top Bottom