• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Just beat the game. The dragon was a complete joke for a fight. My warrior arisen and pawn only had trouble when he flew obviously. My rooted gloom did tons of damage to it. So now I'm in post game at level 57. Some quest and BBI is all that is left? Who did you get for your beloved? At first, I got Caxton, then I lowered his affinity and got Aelinore. I don't want her either. Guess I'm stuck with Aelinore. Ugh.

Your at the same point as me. BBI is what you should do and its not easy.

Herla

Just beat the game. The dragon was a complete joke for a fight. My warrior arisen and pawn only had trouble when he flew obviously. My rooted gloom did tons of damage to it. So now I'm in post game at level 57. Some quest and BBI is all that is left? Who did you get for your beloved? At first, I got Caxton, then I lowered his affinity and got Aelinore. I don't want her either. Guess I'm stuck with Aelinore. Ugh.

Your at the same point as me. BBI is what you should do and its not easy.

Same here (I got Mercedes on the first try, felt more satisfying than defeating any dragon) and, I have to say, BBI might as well be the real game. It's absurd how much more fun I'm having, and the loot is amazing as well. The problem is that every time I start the game I have to spend about half an hour just to find decent pawns because Guardians will get me killed...

Might as well post my pawn, I'm going to need RC for all that cursed stuff.

PSN: Herlaking
Pawn: Rea
Level: ~60
Class: Ranger
Inclination: Scather/Challenger

Feedback is appreciated, especially regarding skills and equipment (I tried every possible combination but can't for the life of me get her "rented").

I got this game about a week ago and am enjoying it a lot. I lost a save about 22 hours deep and had to start over but I'm still having fun. I'm better with the combat and may my pawn is a pure death damage mage so a lot of battles that I just grinded out for like 10-20 minutes the first time are going by in like 2 minutes now.

Kinda a dumb thing but it matters to me, but I love the character creator. A lot of times I have a hard time making decent looking black people but it's pretty easy in this one. I usually end up with some goofy looking dude or a what's basically a white girl with a tan but I could go way darker and still get good results.

My only complaint is that i hate the mage outfits. I can't get my pawn in anything decent looking. My main character is like some super bad ass female black Strider with a long cape and ninja pants/shoes but my mage looks like some super conservative little house on the prairie Laura Ingalls WIlder woman and I can't come across anything better. She murders people so I'm happy with that aspect, but I'm constantly on the look out for something that doesn't look as lame.

BadWolf

The Ranger's Tenfold Flurry, holy crap O_O

I felt so sorry for my girl after the first run, she ended up with freaking Fournival!

So I made it up to her in NG+ by first having her shack up with the hot Duchess and then end up with Quina as the love interest in the end. Selene is hanging out at her house too so they are all one happy family.

Sera O

Banned
My only complaint is that i hate the mage outfits. I can't get my pawn in anything decent looking. My main character is like some super bad ass female black Strider with a long cape and ninja pants/shoes but my mage looks like some super conservative little house on the prairie Laura Ingalls WIlder woman and I can't come across anything better. She murders people so I'm happy with that aspect, but I'm constantly on the look out for something that doesn't look as lame.

I think I found an animistic robe that looked pretty decent in the harpy mountain. I put that, black leggings, an eyepatch and a wolf pelt on my mage before calling it a day. Otherwise, it was woolen puritan-wear or dresses made of dyed bandages. I didn't mind the dalmatica but it's kind of boring.

There may be better-looking mage armor to be found in BBI (at that point I was hiring my magic users). Maybe. The velvet tent and unicorn horn I purified there didn't indicate mage fashion was going anywhere I'd like. . .

Same here (I got Mercedes on the first try, felt more satisfying than defeating any dragon) and, I have to say, BBI might as well be the real game. It's absurd how much more fun I'm having, and the loot is amazing as well. The problem is that every time I start the game I have to spend about half an hour just to find decent pawns because Guardians will get me killed...

Feedback is appreciated, especially regarding skills and equipment (I tried every possible combination but can't for the life of me get her "rented").

Yessss, I needed a decent Ranger.
Also warning, my pawn Kaine is probably a Guardian again.

Fucking eyeball monster. BS got him down to his last health bar and then I get one shotted by some fireball blast. WTf is this shit. I'm sorry this is what I hate about DD. Warrior: no shield, well at least I can dodge right....nope, well at least I have a shit ton health, lol no, one shots everywhere. -_____-

BadWolf

Fucking eyeball monster. BS got him down to his last health bar and then I get one shotted by some fireball blast. WTf is this shit. I'm sorry this is what I hate about DD. Warrior: no shield, well at least I can dodge right....nope, well at least I have a shit ton health, lol no, one shots everywhere. -_____-

That big spherical eye boss?

Some tips if you want them:
- You know those spikes that auto target you and come out of the ground? If you stand under the boss then they will hit it for good damage
- When he starts charging up that big beam thing, quickly destroy the 4 stand thingies and you will be able to use the laser on the boss for great damage. He will then get stunned and his eye will pop out, you can deal huge damage at this point.
- Those throwable bombs work great against it, just one takes out a laser stand and good damage against the eye.

That big spherical eye boss?

Some tips if you want them:
- You know those spikes that auto target you and come out of the ground? If you stand under the boss then they will hit it for good damage
- When he starts charging up that big beam thing, quickly destroy the 4 stand thingies and you will be able to use the laser on the boss for great damage. He will then get stunned and his eye will pop out, you can deal huge damage at this point.
- Those throwable bombs work great against it, just one takes out a laser stand and good damage against the eye.

Thanks, didn't know you could use the magic blast against him.Previously I was using his spike attack against him to get his eye to come down. I've got the strategy down its just the amount of times I have been instakilled despite having 2k+ health is pissing me off. You see that fireball move the tentacles do and spit out like 4 fireballs. He spams that shit and that kills me like instantly unless I have pretty much full health.

Though I am treating this like a Souls game in the sense that armour doesn't matter too much. Is that okay? I have Guts outfit with a dragon leather vest but nothings levelled up or dragon forged.

BadWolf

Thanks, didn't know you could use the magic blast against him.Previously I was using his spike attack against him to get his eye to come down. I've got the strategy down its just the amount of times I have been instakilled despite having 2k+ health is pissing me off. You see that fireball move the tentacles do and spit out like 4 fireballs. He spams that shit and that kills me like instantly unless I have pretty much full health.

Though I am treating this like a Souls game in the sense that armour doesn't matter too much. Is that okay? I have Guts outfit with a dragon leather vest but nothings levelled up or dragon forged.

That is definitely not okay lol, you have to bring the best you have to BBI. That's why a lot of ppl recommend to go there after getting some good stuff in the end game and Everfall.

Personally I level up weapons and armour the first opportunity I get, as high as possible at the time. Pretty much all of it is dragon forged at this point (I dressed up my character based on looks about half way through the main game and she has been sporting pretty much the same stuff since, on new game plus now and cleared BBI twice).

So yeah, run to the nearest smithy and get equipped proper.

Also be on the look out for the Secret Augmentation called Tenacity, basically gives you a chance against getting one shot killed (instead of dying you stay alive with 1 HP).

As for the fireball move I was using an Assassin so just rolled my way through. Isn't there some highly invincible move the Warrior can use?

Also consider getting some pawns that can buff you, my Mage does a good job of healing me and casting buffs (like Spellscreen, which gives all sorts of defense buffs).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's probably a rare glitch, but it's a good thing to be aware of it, don't you think? I lost an entire night's worth of progress, and if I didn't have PS+ my entire game would be broken. If I had known about the glitch I'd have been much safer 'cause I'd just have Godsbane'd right after it triggered.

BadWolf

It's probably a rare glitch, but it's a good thing to be aware of it, don't you think? I lost an entire night's worth of progress, and if I didn't have PS+ my entire game would be broken. If I had known about the glitch I'd have been much safer 'cause I'd just have Godsbane'd right after it triggered.

Oh yeah, its good to know for sure.

The game does have some bugs here and there. The one I experienced was my character falling through the floor and just flailing around in empty space for a while. I was about to reset but the game luckily corrected itself and 'teleported' my character back onto the map.

jiggle

lv112 sorcerer
got all that i wanted from everfall
trying to decide if i should go into new game+ next, or do bbi
sooooooooo disappointed that bloodlust and autonomy got nerfed ; ;

Sera O

Banned
lv112 sorcerer
got all that i wanted from everfall
trying to decide if i should go into new game+ next, or do bbi
sooooooooo disappointed that bloodlust and autonomy got nerfed ; ;

You're going to be booored in NG+, do Bitterblack - it will still have challenge for you.

I think the only reason to do NG+ is if someone's a quest completionist. Otherwise it's best to start from scratch on hard if you want to do the story again.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Okay, here's my feedback. I haven't played with your pawn yet, mind, just hired her and this is from what I can see. Your inclination is perfect for a Ranger, but surprisingly your pawn does not have any of the popular core skills that synergize incredibly well with Ranger: sinew and vehemence from fighter, plus bastion and clout from warrior. At the very least get clout and bastion in there... although in my opinion sinew is a very strong case too, and incredibly helpful because often you just can't count on a healer to heal HP effectively and must resort on items (and a must if you want your pawn to utilize Ranger's arguably most powerful back-up items, which is Blast Arrows).

Ditch longevity (that extra health is so small it doesn't even matter), trajectory (there is simply no place in BBI in particular that require a Ranger's arrow to "fly farther"--most encounters are in close range and even the large battle fields the usual range without trajectory is more than enough), morbidity, and *especially* Radiance--there is simply very little to no situation where "extra light" is useful, and once you face off against dragons and golems and the bosses creatures in BBI or elsewhere that slot that you used for Radiance is much better used for something else such as Clout and/or Vehemence or Bastion. From Ranger's line of core skills, Efficacy, for instance, is a much better choice (especially paired with Sinew)

Oh, and arguably, precision too. Not worth it, IMO.

Also, I don't see a Hundred Kisses in your dagger skills... what's up with that? I would recommend for you to ditch spiral arrow, and arguably crippling arrow too. For Ranger pawns, I would argue that sticking just tenfold arrow and no other skills on the available slot is a better choice than Tenfold Arrow + skill + skill... but anyways, up to you.

Just a few suggestions and opinion :)

Yessss, I needed a decent Ranger.
Also warning, my pawn Kaine is probably a Guardian again.

Told you so about warriors in BBI :p

Anyone still using my pawn Sigurd?

DragonsDogma_DarkArisenScreenshot_3_zps8928411c.jpg

I haven't played in months. Bet I have a shit ton of RC waiting for me.

OatmealMu

I have a lvl 50 mage.

Add me if you want: Xx_Birdman_xX101

I took her on a Cursed Dragon run. It didn't go well. She died. A lot.

I'm not surprised really. Mages and sorcerers don't mix well with dragonkin in my experience. Dragonkin are big, fast and have a wide attack radius. It's hard to charge spells when a Cursed Dragon whips its' tail around everytime I dodge a charge attack. Poor Kaine got more airtime than the dragon.

Volpa did really well, though. Died once and managed to shoot the dragon out of the air a few times. Makes me want to switch my warrior to a ranger at level 100. Anyway, I hope you both got a lot of RC.

Khronico

Just a quick update from my adventures:

Made it through the second phase(?) of BBI, and beat the Dark Bishop. Was a really drawn out battle since I was using a vocation rank 6 MA with the Dragon's Quickening bow. My damage output is pitiful atm, even with it dragonforged. I want to get the BBI magick bows but it seems I might have to wait a while to have a chance at them, since bitterblack weapon lv 2-3 only seem to drop from specific enemies and specific chests later on. I'm gonna take a breather and try to figure out how I want to proceed.

The problem I'm having so far is my damage output is so low on both assassin and MA that it's almost inconceivable (I run out of wakestones and healing items before even knocking off two health bars) to beat certain bosses (Condemned Gorecyclops and Cursed Dragon in particular). Should I continue on through the final phase and THEN go back to fight these bosses? Or do they drop enough good loot to warrant another stab at it?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Just a quick update from my adventures:

Made it through the second phase(?) of BBI, and beat the Dark Bishop. Was a really drawn out battle since I was using a vocation rank 6 MA with the Dragon's Quickening bow. My damage output is pitiful atm, even with it dragonforged. I want to get the BBI magick bows but it seems I might have to wait a while to have a chance at them, since bitterblack weapon lv 2-3 only seem to drop from specific enemies and specific chests later on. I'm gonna take a breather and try to figure out how I want to proceed.

The problem I'm having so far is my damage output is so low on both assassin and MA that it's almost inconceivable (I run out of wakestones and healing items before even knocking off two health bars) to beat certain bosses (Condemned Gorecyclops and Cursed Dragon in particular). Should I continue on through the final phase and THEN go back to fight these bosses? Or do they drop enough good loot to warrant another stab at it?

But of course, you can't honestly expect to be able to beat Condemned Gorecyclops and Cursed Dragons *comfortably* in your first run of BBI. If you notice, there is *no* encounter in BBI against Condemned Gorecyclops/Cursed Dragon that you cannot escape from... care to guess why? :) (The Cursed Dragon the Bishop brings is a severely weakened version, and speaking of, calling him the Dark Bishop is not really apt considering he is *holy*-based, hahaha)

Don't force yourself to beat each and every Condemned Gorecyclops/Cursed Dragons that you encounter the 1st run, although you *can* do it but it will take a long, long while. Just like Death. They're meant to be fought later on once you get better equipment... well, if you want to beat them *comfortably*, that is.

MA is actually very powerful in BBI. Many enemies are weak against lightning, and Richochet Hunter *absolutely destroys* stuff. Condemned Gorecyclops are weak against ice, and whaddyaknow, MA's strongest attack, Six/Ninefold Bolt, is ice :D For Cursed Dragon, if you can don't use Holy--use Fire instead. Just don't use Six/Ninefold bolt against undead creatures like Cursed Dragon since undead resist Ice. Hunter Bolt is a good alternative.

Windam

Scaley member
Got this game on PS+ for free, and while I'm not very far into it (I'm level 11 or 12), I've been having fun. Quick question, though. Does this game look sort of bad on anyone else's TVs? I have a 37" 1080P Samsung LED and the game doesn't look so hot. I'm new to having a 1080P TV with PS3/360, so I was quite surprised that a lot games didn't look much better than they did when they were running in 720P, and in some cases (like Halo 3's), they looked way worse (expected that one though, since H3 wasn't even 720P).

Sera O

Banned
Volpa did really well, though. Died once and managed to shoot the dragon out of the air a few times. Makes me want to switch my warrior to a ranger at level 100. Anyway, I hope you both got a lot of RC.

Glad she was helpful.

I took your warrior with me last night (first time I've played in months). We warmed up in everfall where the archydra's steamroll move prompted complex questions such as "wait, how do I run again?"

I forgot BBI was different the second time through, so when I got into that first wide open area, I was taken aback by surprise lightning dragon in da face. It went down pretty easy, just took forever. I'll hire your pawn again next time I play.

Okay, here's my feedback. I haven't played with your pawn yet, mind, just hired her and this is from what I can see. Your inclination is perfect for a Ranger, but surprisingly your pawn does not have any of the popular core skills that synergize incredibly well with Ranger: sinew and vehemence from fighter, plus bastion and clout from warrior. At the very least get clout and bastion in there... although in my opinion sinew is a very strong case too, and incredibly helpful because often you just can't count on a healer to heal HP effectively and must resort on items (and a must if you want your pawn to utilize Ranger's arguably most powerful back-up items, which is Blast Arrows).

Ditch longevity (that extra health is so small it doesn't even matter), trajectory (there is simply no place in BBI in particular that require a Ranger's arrow to "fly farther"--most encounters are in close range and even the large battle fields the usual range without trajectory is more than enough), morbidity, and *especially* Radiance--there is simply very little to no situation where "extra light" is useful, and once you face off against dragons and golems and the bosses creatures in BBI or elsewhere that slot that you used for Radiance is much better used for something else such as Clout and/or Vehemence or Bastion. From Ranger's line of core skills, Efficacy, for instance, is a much better choice (especially paired with Sinew)

Also, I don't see a Hundred Kisses in your dagger skills... what's up with that? I would recommend for you to ditch spiral arrow, and arguably crippling arrow too. For Ranger pawns, I would argue that sticking just tenfold arrow and no other skills on the available slot is a better choice than Tenfold Arrow + skill + skill... but anyways, up to you.

Told you so about warriors in BBI :p

I will persevere. My sword is too big for me to be afraid of charging into bosses.

I took her on a Cursed Dragon run. It didn't go well. She died. A lot.

I'm not surprised really. Mages and sorcerers don't mix well with dragonkin in my experience. Dragonkin are big, fast and have a wide attack radius. It's hard to charge spells when a Cursed Dragon whips its' tail around everytime I dodge a charge attack. Poor Kaine got more airtime than the dragon.

I'm sorry. She did change back to Guardian. Sometimes I do wonder if she is any help at all. For instance I get blinded and am waiting for her to cure me. She kept getting hit by some tentacles and I couldn't see so I couldn't kill the tentacles and she wouldn't either. By the time she casted the spell, my blindness was gone.

OatmealMu

Glad she was helpful.

I took your warrior with me last night (first time I've played in months). We warmed up in everfall where the archydra's steamroll move prompted complex questions such as "wait, how do I run again?"

I forgot BBI was different the second time through, so when I got into that first wide open area, I was taken aback by surprise lightning dragon in da face. It went down pretty easy, just took forever. I'll hire your pawn again next time I play.

Did she have a gold sword? I was experimenting with silencing magic using enemies and found it didn't work well on a pawn.

I'm sorry. She did change back to Guardian. Sometimes I do wonder if she is any help at all. For instance I get blinded and am waiting for her to cure me. She kept getting hit by some tentacles and I couldn't see so I couldn't kill the tentacles and she wouldn't either. By the time she casted the spell, my blindness was gone.

It's no big deal. She did cast some healing spells, so it wasn't a total loss. I'm thinking a couple of striders and rangers might be more suited for dragon killing. I just have hard time going into a dungeon without a healer.

Celegus

I feel like I screwed up somewhere.. the only "real" quest I have is The Final Battle (and a bunch of "kill this many monsters" quests), but I'm only level 37 and got rocked by normal enemies when I entered the area. I tried exploring different areas (catacombs, frontier caverns, etc) but they all just seem to stop after I get so far in, and there's nothing to really do. Obviously I didn't finish all the limited time sidequests, mostly because the quest markers were always wrong and I couldn't find where to go, so I mostly ended up mainlining the primary quests. Is there a decent place to level up before going after the dragon?

Thanks for the tips guys that eyeball thing was a joke after I used his magic ball against him. It took away 4 health bars in a half a minute lol. I almost feel like I cheesed him.

Another joke of an enemy was this guy with a massive hammer. I'm guessing he's meant to be a mini boss since the music changed and he had 4 health bars. AoD'd him as he rushed towards and it sent him flying lol. Never seen that happen to big enemies.

Anyway when he died it did that cutscene thing where some hug monster spawns, turns out to be an ogre. Ogre tries to be clever and kicks me of the bridge. Then it decides to be stupid and jump in the water with me. I re spawn with 60k EXP :p

Sometimes, being a Warrior really pays off.

Herla

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed. I'll admit I have completely neglected core skills, mostly because of how much of a pain it is to level up classes at this point (especially Warrior) so I just used what I had. The fact that the people that managed to use my pawn only gave her bad rates in the appearance section made me think it was more of an equipment issue...

At least now I know where to focus, I'm already working on obtaining some useful stuff (though I don't think I'll ever be able to reach Warrior 9 again without losing my mind...).

She didn't have Hundred Kisses because I wanted her to be more ranged focused, so I gave her the two support dagger skills and the one enhanced by the Daggerist ring that makes her dash around. But now that I managed to dragonforge her daggers I'll probably change some things in that regard also.

Hopefully I'll update her soon. I don't even know how that works, to be honest...

Another joke of an enemy was this guy with a massive hammer. I'm guessing he's meant to be a mini boss since the music changed and he had 4 health bars. AoD'd him as he rushed towards and it sent him flying lol. Never seen that happen to big enemies.

That's an Eliminator, I think. Fuck Eliminators and that stupid "waggle the stick in a way that breaks the pad" thing they have. And fuck Guardian pawns for not even helping me when that happens. They have ONE job, damn it :(

Sera O

Banned
Anyway when he died it did that cutscene thing where some hug monster spawns, turns out to be an ogre. Ogre tries to be clever and kicks me of the bridge. Then it decides to be stupid and jump in the water with me. I re spawn with 60k EXP :p

Sometimes, being a Warrior really pays off.

I laughed at hug monster, but it's actually appropriate with an ogre. And yeah, those guys are hilariously suicidal. A lot of the time you can bait them into jumping to their doom.

Poor, dumb hug monster.

Did she have a gold sword? I was experimenting with silencing magic using enemies and found it didn't work well on a pawn.

I don't think the sword was gold, but it might've been? I didn't notice anyone getting silenced, but a lot of the time I wouldn't unless pawns are seriously imperiling themselves or me. We killed some of those flying wizard guys in the rotunda of doom, but they die too fast for silencing to make any difference. The gorechimeras were casting right and left though.

Would anyone mind helping me figure out how to duplicate this face? I saw it on the pawn community site. The pawn creator isnt active around there though so I can't ask him/her the forumla.
TaDkkTC.jpg

All I know is that the hair and headwear is DLC that you have to get from Olra's store. Speaking of DLC, the content you get from Olra's store still uses funds from your PSN wallet right?

Argh, this game is so random. I was fighting a cyclops near a rest camp, and I was just about to kill it when a fucking drake comes out of nowhere and kills my party.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Thank you! This is exactly what I needed. I'll admit I have completely neglected core skills, mostly because of how much of a pain it is to level up classes at this point (especially Warrior) so I just used what I had. The fact that the people that managed to use my pawn only gave her bad rates in the appearance section made me think it was more of an equipment issue...

At least now I know where to focus, I'm already working on obtaining some useful stuff (though I don't think I'll ever be able to reach Warrior 9 again without losing my mind...).

She didn't have Hundred Kisses because I wanted her to be more ranged focused, so I gave her the two support dagger skills and the one enhanced by the Daggerist ring that makes her dash around. But now that I managed to dragonforge her daggers I'll probably change some things in that regard also.

Hopefully I'll update her soon. I don't even know how that works, to be honest...

Well, I am not sure that you know about this, but there is a trick where you can accumulate vocation points without even needing to touch your controller. Still takes a while, but at the very least you are free to do whatever in the meanwhile (like, just leave it on while you are asleep or something)

On the
post game after you have been accused by the Duke of conspiring with the Dragon and enter/exit new Everfall
for the first time, go back to the area in front of the castle gate, where the guards will start running around like an idiot trying to attack you. There is a wall there, in front of the Cathedral, with a lamp on it, that you can jump onto. Just stand there, and since the guards are all idiots that can't follow you there and will ignore your pawns while trying to get to you, leave it to your pawns to beat them up and accumulate vocation points that way while you do whatever. Carry Sorcerers/Mages for best results, and equip Vocation-up stuff like Ashura Armor (you should already get this one from killing the geo-saurians quest, but if you don't, I don't mind gifting it to you, if you want)

Just leave it on while you go asleep or whatever. It took around... perhaps like 4-5 hours from level 1 to level 9 in a vocation. Clout is a pain in the arse to get if you are not using Warrior, I know, but it is so worth it and a much better choice than many of Ranger's original core skills for a Ranger, unfortunately.

As for your lack of Hundred Kisses... the thing is, you just really can't control whether your pawn will go range or not, and at times where she jump into something like a Golem (as she have multiple times when I carried her for a while in Everfall, hahaha, and I assure you, she *will* jump into a big monster from time to time), it would be best to have her have a move that can increase her attacking potential substantially.

That's an Eliminator, I think. Fuck Eliminators and that stupid "waggle the stick in a way that breaks the pad" thing they have. And fuck Guardian pawns for not even helping me when that happens. They have ONE job, damn it :(

Magick Archer laughs at Eliminator so hard it's real funny. Watching them in BBI got trashed around by Richochet Hunter is a bloody riot.

All I know is that the hair and headwear is DLC that you have to get from Olra's store. Speaking of DLC, the content you get from Olra's store still uses funds from your PSN wallet right?

Yeah, from PSN wallet. That Olra's hair seems real nice..... maybe I'll get it for my Celestia...

This game is pissing me the fuck off. The pawns are so fucking stupid it hurts. I'm at the Bandits den fighting a golem and my healer refuses to heal me, and everytime I try to retreat the AI refuses.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This game is pissing me the fuck off. The pawns are so fucking stupid it hurts. I'm at the Bandits den fighting a golem and my healer refuses to heal me, and everytime I try to retreat the AI refuses.

Bandit's Den...? Golem? Are you sure it ain't a Cyclops? There is no Golem nearby Bandit's den.... Or maybe there is in the post game...? Haven't checked.....

Check the inclination of your Healer. Anything besides Medicant as primary will only heal you if you are absolute low or only after the fight is finished. Medicant is the exact opposite, the pawn will heal you even if you lost just a sliver amount of health. Although a Healer of any inclination will immediately heal your status if you are inflicted by status attacks provided they have the skills to do so.

As for running away, yeah, you will need to escape a certain distance away before they follow you. Just yell Come if you want to make the whole process quicker.

Bandit's Den...? Golem? Are you sure it ain't a Cyclops? There is no Golem nearby Bandit's den.... Or maybe there is in the post game...? Haven't checked.....

Check the inclination of your Healer. Anything besides Medicant as primary will only heal you if you are absolute low or only after the fight is finished. Medicant is the exact opposite, the pawn will heal you even if you lost just a sliver amount of health. Although a Healer of any inclination will immediately heal your status if you are inflicted by status attacks provided they have the skills to do so.

As for running away, yeah, you will need to escape a certain distance away before they follow you. Just yell Come if you want to make the whole process quicker.

Bandits Den has a giant Golem that spawns. Theres no mistaking that for a cyco, those glowly rocks and the lazers are dead giveaways. I barely managed to kill it. I fucking hate Golems, and Drakes

Probably near Bluemoon tower.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Bandits Den has a giant Golem that spawns. Theres no mistaking that for a cyco, those glowly rocks and the lazers are dead giveaways. I barely managed to kill it. I fucking hate Golems, and Drakes

Post game, I assume. Haven't checked around.

Yeah, golems are annoying if you are magical; you pretty much need to High Bolide/High Exequy them out. But physical though? Especially ranged physical? They're piss easy :)

And Drakes are awesome, though that Instant Pawn Death roar is incredibly cheap.

Probably near Bluemoon tower.

Oh yeah, except if he meant that.

NeoGiff

I'm willing to rent someone's pawn if they want to rent mine, too.

My pawn is called Korra (yes, after that Korra), and she's level 25. I just maxed out her vocation as a Mage, so she's now a rank 1 Sorceror.

My PSN handle is Spiffy_Giffy, if anyone's interested! I'd prefer a pawn around my own level (also 25), so as not to make things too easy. Thanks.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wow, I ran into the Tenacity Glitch again, this time for my main pawn. Apparently the game considered him "dead", he had 1 HP after the battle and my borrowed mage pawn wouldn't heal him (she normally heals if you so much as lose a sliver of health).

I didn't dare just throw him into a pit and resummon from a riftstone beause of the auto-save, in case it "saved" the screwed up status again, so I just godsbaned and reloaded (it was after a short battle anyway). It'd probably undo the glitch in case of a pawn just by re-hiring, but I dare not... and damn that's annoying. I think I'll just remove that damn augment, too many risks of breaking the game. :S

Also: fuck farming for moonshimmer pelts. Seriously, every decent piece of equipment requires this for Rarefying, and it's so damn rare? Bah. I duplicated a bunch of them at the Black Cat but it's so tedious.

Speaking of the Black Cat, I didn't realize at first that they could duplicate even the rarest upgrade materials... so I spent my one and only
Daimon Horn
on a Revenant Wail, and then later I found the Framae Blades, which require 2... ;_; I haven't beaten the second
Daimon
yet, and I imagine he's pretty hard in his
awakened form
. Anyone willing to forge an extra
Daimon Horn
at the Black Cat and gift it to my Pawn? My PSN is MorriganStark and my Pawn's name is Kai (currently a ranger, level 125 or so as I write this). If you need gold for duplicating (it's probably expensive), I could borrow your pawn and gift you some expensive but not-so-useful equipment for selling or something (but I assume anyone that far into BBI has plenty of gold to spare already)

Herla

Well, I am not sure that you know about this, but there is a trick where you can accumulate vocation points without even needing to touch your controller. Still takes a while, but at the very least you are free to do whatever in the meanwhile (like, just leave it on while you are asleep or something)

Well...that was easy. Thanks for the tip!
I got everything that I needed in less than half an hour...well, almost everything, I only got Fighter to 5 so I replaced that 10% strength bonus with the +50 Magick Defense from the Sorcerer.
I also gave her Hundred Kisses and upgraded to Corkscrew Arrow.

To update the online version I just need to rest, right? I ask because I've never seen a pawn change in level or equipment...

Level 30 and Cyclos are pretty much fodder to me. Ogres are tough to kill still, and Chimeras are a joke. Seriously Chimeras die in just 2 hits from my mage pawns fire wall spell. I can rarely ever find Chimeras.

Post game, I assume. Haven't checked around.

Yeah, golems are annoying if you are magical; you pretty much need to High Bolide/High Exequy them out. But physical though? Especially ranged physical? They're piss easy :)

And Drakes are awesome, though that Instant Pawn Death roar is incredibly cheap.

Oh yeah, except if he meant that.

It's not post game. I barely started the MQ. it spawns regardless.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Well...that was easy. Thanks for the tip!
I got everything that I needed in less than half an hour...well, almost everything, I only got Fighter to 5 so I replaced that 10% strength bonus with the +50 Magick Defense from the Sorcerer.
I also gave her Hundred Kisses and upgraded to Corkscrew Arrow.

To update the online version I just need to rest, right? I ask because I've never seen a pawn change in level or equipment...

Your Rea is way better now :) I think I will carry her with me all the way to the end of BBI. And yea, just rest to update your pawn.

Anyways, can someone do me a favor and check whether my Celestia is properly styled with the dlc hair when she is summoned from the riftstone? Just checking.

Feeling the need to replay but unsure of what class(es) to roll as. Did my first hard-mode run of BBI with a Sorcerer Arisen/Warrior Pawn. Thinking I want to do either Mystic Knight or Assassin next...

Sera O

Banned
Feeling the need to replay but unsure of what class(es) to roll as. Did my first hard-mode run of BBI with a Sorcerer Arisen/Warrior Pawn. Thinking I want to do either Mystic Knight or Assassin next...

I never dug into MK long enough to do anything cool, but I did my first playthrough mainly as assassin. The sword and bow combination is a lot of fun!

Anyone willing to forge an extra
Daimon Horn
at the Black Cat and gift it to my Pawn? My PSN is MorriganStark and my Pawn's name is Kai (currently a ranger, level 125 or so as I write this).

I may not be on until tomorrow, but if I've got one I'll forge it for you. No trade needed if I have it (should have enough wakestones to revive all of Gransys at this point). My PSN is volpanic so if you see a friend req from me you'll know that 1) I've got the horn and 2) Kai's out of my league to hire, lol

Thanks guys for putting up with my pawn. I got so many rift crystals, big thank you to the person who took her to fight a cursed dragon (164k crystals 0_0 ). Also someone gifted me a lvl 3 cursed BB weapon 0_0.

I fought the bishop guy today and his lame cursed dragon. Seriously, that guy needs to work on his revival technique because I killed his dragon with one AoD. By the time it woke up, I had it charged and killed it. Poor thing.

So I'm continuing through this place and come across this sewer like area called Rotwood. Casually walking through and get jump scared by an Eliminator. I spend the next half an hour attempting to get my lantern back up. It seriously pisses me off how long it takes to wear off being drenched and having all these items called absorbent rags which do jack shit (absorb oil lol). The fuck where Capcom smoking, its still a rag -___-. Also theres this ridiculous move the Eliminator does where your on the floor and you have to spin your analog stick to escape insta death. I swear its impossible to complete the QTE, i didn't even reach half way. Do they want me to break my controller.

Anyway, I go through the green door and I'm in this place called Forgotten Hall. Things seem quiet , and go down to the arena. I see two fucking condemned gorecyclops. Me and my pawns are lvl 60, I didn't even fight the one by itself as it had so much health. I decide to run away but wait 4 massive dog things spawn out of nowhere. These things are OP, they deal massive damage, theres 4 of them and they are really aggressive. How do they expect anyone to fight 2 condemned cyclops, 4 dogs and this dickhead mage. Why is this mage a dickhead? He spams the tornado move, even when I've ran away he somehow still casts it on me and I swear its impossible to escape it once you have been caught. It does a shit load of damage..... continuously. I just decided to restart. Same spawn, same dickhead mage. Also for some reason my sorceress did nothing against the dogs. She just stood still saying lets wait till we have more info or some BS while they mauled me. I somehow managed to cheese them since two disappeared through the wall lol. Ran past the cyclopses(?), wrecked these two wannabe warrior pawns and arrived at the Arisen refuge.

I feel like I'm really under levelled at this point. Was I really meant to be able to clear that entire room? I can't kill condemned cyclopses or curse dragons. How far am I away from the last boss ( in terms of those checkpoint rooms where theres a merchant and rift stone) and am I under levelled (I'm lvl 60 and my hired pawns are lvl 55)?

I hate grinding -____- one of the best things that I like about the souls game is that you don't have to grind. I hope its not too much.

Herla

^^^I'm in the exact same spot, that area is completely insane. I'm level 69 and only found 2 Garms (plus the cyclops), but I think there were multiple mages...Maelstrom everywhere, instadeath. And in the previous room, the one with all the water, I had to fight both an Eliminator AND an Elder Ogre in the same tiny space. Had to abuse the hell out of Sheltered Assault...

This game really hates me sometimes, but I can't help but love it. I guess I'll have to give up and hire an higher level pawn for once.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Clean cloth removes Drenching, Absorbent Rag removes oil/tarring. If drenched, you can also go in the item menu, unequip the lantern, then re-equip it and it'll relight itself even if you're drenched (though if you get splashed again it goes off again). Kinda annoying but you don't have to wait til the Drenched status goes away to use your lantern. Also, do pay some meager RC to light those beacons, they're fairly useful and can damage nearby enemies shortly after you light them.

The Forgotten Hall is really, really tough if you don't cheese it somewhat. You're probably underlevelled, aye. Have you beaten the main game at least once, or reached the post-game at least?

Make sure you have the very best weapons and armours you can and upgrade them (preferably dragonforged of course), it makes a big difference. If needed, try to farm a drake or wyvern in the main game to dragonforge stuff if you're still too weak to kill a Cursed Dragon (it's weak to Holy and Fire, FWIW). Once you get Sapfire Daggers, for example, the Cursed Dragon is pretty easy, just spam at its heart (snipe at its heart when it's aloft to ground it), and you can farm it for easy dragonforging (I found that other than the guaranteed Dragonforging like Grigori or the Ur-Dragon, it's the best Dragonforging rate in the game by far, almost always works for me).

My Forgotten Hall strategy the first time was... die to Maelstrom, then die again, and again. xD Eventually I got fed up and just ran like mad to the exit, hoping my pawns wouldn't get left behind. When I returned later, I used the following strategy with a Magick Archer (you can probably use a similar strategy with a Strider or Ranger), with plenty of savescumming between each step:

- Go on the second floor where the railing is, stand on the railing and snipe the mages and sirens one by one with Sixfold bolt (never got ninefold bolt ;_;). If you see a Maelstrom form up in the room below, retreat to the room with the statues for a bit until it's gone. Make sure your pawns don't jump downstairs like idiots.
- If a Garm spawns, it'll run upstairs to attack you, so meet it in the second floor room with the statues and fight it there. Spam Ricochet bolt, it'll utterly annihilate it (it's lightning-based and they're weak to lightning).
- Do this for every Garm that spawns. Sometimes they spawn one by one, so save after killing one. If they spawn in a group of two it's still doable, use the statues as sort-of cover. Wear blind-resistant gear or bring blind-curing curatives if you need.
- Once the sirens, mages and Garms are dead, advance into the Hall, then kill the remaining Corrupt Pawns in the corridors so that only the Chained Gorecyclops are left.
- You can fight the Gorecyclops one by one, if you stick to one area and don't aggro the other. Easier with ranged attacks, Sixfold Bolt and Hunter Bolt work pretty nicely. If you really want to cheese it, you can stay under the balcony where the corridor joins the hall, the cyclops can't follow you there, and just spam ranged attacks until it dies. Boring, but effective. xD Then you can do the same with the other. If your damage output is really really low, though, this is gonna be fairly boring, I warn you. Bring Conqueror's Periapts, or just skip them and come back later when you're stronger, 'cause the rewards for killing them (dropped materials etc.) aren't all that interesting. It'd probably give you some nice XP though.

I'm gonna retry that room soon, and this time I'll try not to cheese/savescum too much, but those damn Maelstrom mages are just plain annoying. I wouldn't know how to deal with them without sniping them from afar. Maybe rush them with melee really quickly before any of them can cast and hope the pawns do the same...

Top Bottom