• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Quick dragonforging methods: visit the Forsaken Cathedral, kill the Dark Bishop, takes very little time. It's a pain to rest 4 days in Gransys to respawn him though so after that, what I usually do is go to Duskmoon, kill the drake, then save and plant a rancid bait meat (if that does nothing Godsbane, reload and try again) to spawn a Cursed dragon. If that's still not enough, enter the Vault of Defiled Truths and come back to Dusk Moon, there should be yet another Cursed dragon (if not, plant more meat).

Or you could go to the Midnight Helix and hope for a Frostwyrm (if so, you can summon another Cursed Dragon there, sometimes even without using bait), since you can also try to get lv. 3 loot from the chests at the same time (the ornate one near the big Skeletons and the one at the very top floor both have a good chance of giving lv. 3 gear).

I've been farming Cursed dragons in Duskmoon. Didn't know the dark bishop dragonforged your equipment. Will it have a higher chance than Curse dragons?

Sera O

Banned
I've been farming Cursed dragons in Duskmoon. Didn't know the dark bishop dragonforged your equipment. Will it have a higher chance than Curse dragons?

The cursed dragon the bishop summons can forge your equipment, but I think duskmoon is more efficient. DF chance is so high that as long as you have a couple of rancid bait meats you can get everything forged.

I usually just hang out outside rotunda of doom after clearing the drake/wyvern (as sorcerer). I use the bait meat and enter/exit rotunda to spawn the dragon if it doesn't appear immediately.

All I have to do is holy focus bolt it out of the air and have comestion ready when it hits the ground. It's quick (dragon is done long before holy affinity is) and doesn't use any resources because the pawns don't get tailwhipped.

Sometimes I only get one dragon out of a bait meat, but once I managed 4 of them. I never thought to godsbane if it didn't appear.

Shengar

Psycho_Mantis, can I add your PSN account? I might be severely underleveled right now, but maybe this weekend I can do some massive catch up.

ZenaxPure

Well I took Ygnatz and Kaine through the entire story, a full BBI clear, a few bosses on the board sidequests, and an Ur-dragon kill, so hopefully you guys get some solid RC from that as well.

My Pawn is also a Fighter now since I had some gear laying around. Given her level (119 iirc) and the setup I went with she is pretty much immortal. Haven't had her die on me a single time. Does a pretty good job grabbing enemies attention as well. Needs a new shield really badly so I plan to work on that with my bbi weapons going forward. It had been a long time since I ran with a tank character and I forgot how nice it was to not have enemies trying to murder me the entire time.

The Light

Been playing this all week. I'm a warrior at lvl 24 and just did the quest where you have to take back the goblin fortress with the two cyclops inside....Ended up having to retreat. I think I could have won if I did the quest with the party having full health. Like a fool I decided to do a lil exploring and came across a chimera along with a ton of white wolves, goblins and white harpys at the same time. That battle started at night and ended in the morning. Toughest battle I had yet. The wolves and harpys could take some hits, I had more trouble doing damage to them than the chimera.

I have to say tho it is the last time I explore while having active quests.

ZenaxPure

Might sound dumb, but, you should buy some healing items. I try to always carry some around because there are a lot of situations where your healer can't get a heal off reliably, and well it recovers non-white health as well. Really handy.

NeoGiff

Been playing this all week. I'm a warrior at lvl 24 and just did the quest where you have to take back the goblin fortress with the two cyclops inside....Ended up having to retreat. I think I could have won if I did the quest with the party having full health. Like a fool I decided to do a lil exploring and came across a chimera along with a ton of white wolves, goblins and white harpys at the same time. That battle started at night and ended in the morning. Toughest battle I had yet. The wolves and harpys could take some hits, I had more trouble doing damage to them than the chimera.

I have to say tho it is the last time I explore while having active quests.

I just recently did this quest too, although I think I was about level 28. Really enjoyed it, I began the assault in the dead of night and didn't finish the quest until midday the next day. It was so good, felt like a real battle. Lost my two support pawns because they were killed and I was holed up in a building with my main pawn firing arrows out the doorway at a cyclops, too scared to go back out. It was all worth it, though.

The Light

I just recently did this quest too, although I think I was about level 28. Really enjoyed it, I began the assault in the dead of night and didn't finish the quest until midday the next day. It was so good, felt like a real battle. Lost my two support pawns because they were killed and I was holed up in a building with my main pawn firing arrows out the doorway at a cyclops, too scared to go back out. It was all worth it, though.

I tried going into the building thinking my support mage would still continue to use ice and lighting, but she didn't do a thing. All the pawns would just stand near the door and get hit by the cyclops clubs. :/

Also Zenax you're right about healing items. Starting to notice the mage is always the first to go down in battles.

vakarian32

Hey all, got a quick question. I have Dark Arisen PAL version on disc but use a US PSN account. Just wondering if my PAL game save will work with the US game I got from PS+? It probably won't work, just checking before i bother downloading or not. Cheers

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Keep a lookout for Wanderlust Ring, folks. Usually when your pawns gets downed and you resurrect them, their health will be reduced permanently, right? For example, let's just say to 80%. Gets killed again, it will be reduced to say, 60%. Gets killed again, halved of that. etc etc etc.

With Wanderlust Ring, the amount of health restored when you revive your pawns *always* at 75-80% high no matter how often they get killed. Really useful especially against those cheap unavoidable 1-hit kill roar from dragon-type enemies. Just equip it every time you want to revive and change it back to your preferred ring once you revive them.

So I'm done with Everfall loot. Onto BBI. Ran into my first Gorecyclops. I was like
nope1.gif.pagespeed.ce.tHUJp2q50t.gif

BBI is like a maze. I'm just aimlessly wandering about. Killed a huge eyeball monster and unlocked a shortcut to the front. Yay!.

ZenaxPure

Keep a lookout for Wanderlust Ring, folks. Usually when your pawns gets downed and you resurrect them, their health will be reduced permanently, right? For example, let's just say to 80%. Gets killed again, it will be reduced to say, 60%. Gets killed again, halved of that. etc etc etc.

With Wanderlust Ring, the amount of health restored when you revive your pawns *always* at 75-80% high no matter how often they get killed. Really useful especially against those cheap unavoidable 1-hit kill roar from dragon-type enemies. Just equip it every time you want to revive and change it back to your preferred ring once you revive them.

Sounds damn useful. Is that a BBI item or where do you get it exactly?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Sounds damn useful. Is that a BBI item or where do you get it exactly?

Yeap, from purifying Gear Lv. 3

Moreover, wearing two of them will net you 90% of health restored, *all the time*. One ring + Restoration augment from Mystic Knight will also net you 90%. Two rings with Restoration will give your pawns 100% health *every time* you revive them.

So basically, it will significantly reduce the amount of curatives your pawns need to carry since you can just let them die and revive for full health.

Erehael

Neo Member
Guys, I need some advice on how to proceed with my character.

I've leveled to 10 as Warrior and from then to 49 exclusively as Assassin. This is where I'm at now.
It's been a lot of fun but I feels it's time to switch it up a bit.

Which would be a good vocation to switch to? Ranger looks really interesting and I'm guessing their focus on Stamina growth and Attack would compliment the Assassin quite well.
If I'd switch to Ranger right now, for how long should I stick with it for optimal Stat growth?

Would it make sense to put in a few levels of another vocation as well, to even out some of the deficiencies of the focus on offense?

Ok, one last question. When should I go to BBI? After "finishing" the main DD quests, basically in post game?

Thanks, guys.

Guys, I need some advice on how to proceed with my character.

I've leveled to 10 as Warrior and from then to 49 exclusively as Assassin. This is where I'm at now.
It's been a lot of fun but I feels it's time to switch it up a bit.

Which would be a good vocation to switch to? Ranger looks really interesting and I'm guessing their focus on Stamina growth and Attack would compliment the Assassin quite well.
If I'd switch to Ranger right now, for how long should I stick with it for optimal Stat growth?

Would it make sense to put in a few levels of another vocation as well, to even out some of the deficiencies of the focus on offense?

Ok, one last question. When should I go to BBI? After "finishing" the main DD quests, basically in post game?

Thanks, guys.
Assassin has stamina growth of 27 vs. 30 for the Ranger. Any of the physical vocations would be a good choice.
Honestly wouldn't switch to Ranger because you get slightly higher stamina at the cost of slightly lower damage.

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Stat_Growths

With the exception of running and clinging to huge foes that try to throw me off. Stamina hasn't been an issue for me and I leveled as an Assassin for 22 levels.

Erehael

Neo Member
Fighter/Warrior gameplay doesn't appeal to me though.

Would it make sense to switch to Sorceror now until level 100 and then switch to Magic Archer?

Assassin has stamina growth of 27 vs. 30 for the Ranger. Any of the physical vocations would be a good choice.
Honestly wouldn't switch to Ranger because you get slightly higher stamina at the cost of slightly lower damage.

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Stat_Growths

With the exception of running and clinging to huge foes that try to throw me off. Stamina hasn't been an issue for me and I leveled as an Assassin for 22 levels.

I want to know what Capcom were smoking when they made the decision that an assassin will have more strength than a warrior wielding a greatsword twice the size of a normal person. It what universe does it make sense that a Warrior will have one of the smallest stamina growths. Why give me HP if your just going to one shot me later on in the game.

Shengar

I think I need advice too. My character now is level 24, and his vocation on Strider class gonna maxed up soon enough. I'm playing on hard, with brand new character, so what class best for me to plow through the game quickly that is not magic knight Gaf?

Though thanks to both Kaine and Celestia, I can sit my ass back and let them wreck havoc for free :p

ZenaxPure

You should just play whatever class is fun, don't worry about stat growths and shit too much. I got the same advice when I was starting out a few pages back and it's absolutely the truth.

Shengar

You should just play whatever class is fun, don't worry about stat growths and shit too much. I got the same advice when I was starting out a few pages back and it's absolutely the truth.

I've heard that pyshical build gonna be butchered by BBI, and that make me quite worried

I don't like strider as I feel he's too reliant on bow. If you want something similar but better for melee, then assassin. Haven't touched BBI yet, but I still find warrior the easiest for main story line out of the physical classes.

ZenaxPure

I've heard that pyshical build gonna be butchered by BBI, and that make me quite worried

I feel like that mostly might be a Warrior thing as I've done it as Fighter and Assassin and didn't have much trouble (then again I guess I knew what I was doing already). For melee honestly the rogue classes are all fine since climbing bosses and using hundred kisses(ing?) on their weak point deals a lot of damage. My last run through BBI I did it as Assassin and killed every boss with a weak point by climbing and hundred kisses spam. I actually found Assassin pretty good for trash as well since Snakebite knocks down 99% of the non-boss enemies in BBI and you can just use it again when they stand up. Basically allowing you to perma-stun them.

Now that said, Magick Archer is some OP shit. Having access to strong physical and magic abilities is amazing and seriously Ricochet Hunter is completely broken in like 70% of the BBI areas (as there is a lot of tiny corridors/rooms).

Shengar

I feel like that mostly might be a Warrior thing as I've done it as Fighter and Assassin and didn't have much trouble (then again I guess I knew what I was doing already). For melee honestly the rogue classes are all fine since climbing bosses and using hundred kisses(ing?) on their weak point deals a lot of damage. My last run through BBI I did it as Assassin and killed every boss with a weak point by climbing and hundred kisses spam. I actually found Assassin pretty good for trash as well since Snakebite knocks down 99% of the non-boss enemies in BBI and you can just use it again when they stand up. Basically allowing you to perma-stun them.

Now that said, Magick Archer is some OP shit. Having access to strong physical and magic abilities is amazing and seriously Ricochet Hunter is completely broken in like 70% of the BBI areas (as there is a lot of tiny corridors/rooms).

Nah, its true magic classes like MK and MA will butcher enemies but playing as a Warrior is fine. I prefer the Warrior way :)
Ah, thanks for the answer folks! That really lift off weight from my shoulders.
Tenfold arrows Assassin here I go

joecanada

I'm curious about leveling but don't care too much about being overpowered... I have basically gone from level 1-40 as a fighter, warrior, and now sorceror... cherry picking the best augments from each... final destination - mage knight.

my pawn (and again thanks for using her everyone and sorry i keep switching her) - has been mage, sorceror, and now ranger - final destination magic archer....

any tips as I go? Augments I will cherry pick but do I need to stay at a certain class to level for stats for these builds?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So leveling from 10-50 as Assassin and then from 50-100 as Sorcerer would still make a decent Magic Archer?

I leveled up as fighter from 1 to 14, then warrior to 25, then Assassin to 50, then Ranger to 60, then Sorcerer to 73, then after that right now I am level 147 mostly leveling up as MA with occasional Sorcerer every now and then.

And now my Magick/physical attack is 2600-ish/2200-ish... now my Arisen can generally just laugh his way through BBI no problem :)

Finally got a Blackwing Bow and gold rarified it, yeaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

Erehael

Neo Member
Alright, it doesn't seem to matter much unless you want to min-max to the extreme.
Already put in 2 levels as Sorcerer and it has been quite fun.

Still wondering whether I should level to 100 exclusively as Sorcerer now (for the M-Atk) or add a few levels of a different vocation.
My HP is going to be pathetic, considering I was an Assassin until 50....

Definitely going to switch to Magic Archer, but their stat growth is kinda crappy below level 100.

BadWolf

Alright, it doesn't seem to matter much unless you want to min-max to the extreme.
Already put in 2 levels as Sorcerer and it has been quite fun.

Still wondering whether I should level to 100 exclusively as Sorcerer now (for the M-Atk) or add a few levels of a different vocation.
My HP is going to be pathetic, considering I was an Assassin until 50....

Definitely going to switch to Magic Archer, but their stat growth is kinda crappy below level 100.

Consider putting some levels into Fighter/Warrior to get health/defense stat boosts and augmentations.

Sera O

Banned
Which one would you recommend? I'm leaning towards Warrior, since it offers slightly more HP and the Clout Augment.

Warrior has some great augments so it's worth getting vocation levels in it. I personally also loved playing as warrior - it's slower, you need to be deliberate with it - but it's so rewarding when you get it right. Also, that jump normal attack is hilarious with a massive hammer.

ZenaxPure

Warrior has some great augments so it's worth getting vocation levels in it. I personally also loved playing as warrior - it's slower, you need to be deliberate with it - but it's so rewarding when you get it right. Also, that jump normal attack is hilarious with a massive hammer.

Usually I find fighting the giant chained ogres in BBI boring, but the one time I fought one as a Warrior was actually the most fun I had fighting one. It is actually a really fun class. Not my favorite, but I still like playing it.

Only class I haven't actually had fun playing so far is Sorcerer. It's been useful at times, but it's all about high damage nukes which I don't really like from my magic users. I prefer control and spell synergy, which it lacks. Actually haven't tried Mage yet because of it.

Speaking of which, how the hell do you even play Mystic Knight? I tried it for a while but the whole shield enchanting thing seemed weird to me. The damage output seemed extremely pitiful so I assume I was doing something wrong.

Sera O

Banned
Only class I haven't actually had fun playing so far is Sorcerer. It's been useful at times, but it's all about high damage nukes which I don't really like from my magic users. I prefer control and spell synergy, which it lacks. Actually haven't tried Mage yet because of it.

Speaking of which, how the hell do you even play Mystic Knight? I tried it for a while but the whole shield enchanting thing seemed weird to me. The damage output seemed extremely pitiful so I assume I was doing something wrong.

I got a couple of vocation levels in MK, but never to the point where I felt I had any feel for it. If it's meant to be royal guard: the magic version, along with the ability to support the party with affinity casting on the entire group, I need to dig into it more.

I think sorcerer is fun, but it requires a stealth approach. In BBI this effectively means soloing sometimes, as pawns will usually not attack effectively from the mezzanines or long range.

I started playing sorc because magic-using pawns were not great at getting spells off. Bolide and maelstrom look rad, but I stick with quicker spells. Miasma has a really high payoff, and I like to manually position what I can for better results. I use Comestion, Gicel, Miasma, Levin, Silentium (might change this one), and an affinity.

I can totally see why sorcerer wouldn't seem fun, but my first couple of playthroughs were mostly warrior/ranger/assassin, so it's a good change-up for me (am not into the idea of MA at all).

ZenaxPure

Yeah I don't think Sorcerer is bad per se, it's more not my cup of tea. Magick Archer actually does exactly what I want which is why I think it is my favorite class overall. Not so much because it's OP as fuck in BBI, but more because it has my favorite melee abilities and then the kind of ranged abilities I like. I don't think it's that popular, but vortex trail is actually my favorite ability in the game since it lets you position most enemies wherever you want. I get a lot of enjoyment out of pinning them to the wall and then using ricochet hunter or cutting wind to murder them. Puts a smile on my face every time.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
People playing Sorcerers/Mages need to realize more that the most devastating offensive ability these vocations have is not any of those fancy spells but rather the seemingly mundane Focused Bolt. This ability is straight out one of the best available in Dragon's Dogma.

I'm curious about leveling but don't care too much about being overpowered... I have basically gone from level 1-40 as a fighter, warrior, and now sorceror... cherry picking the best augments from each... final destination - mage knight.

my pawn (and again thanks for using her everyone and sorry i keep switching her) - has been mage, sorceror, and now ranger - final destination magic archer....

any tips as I go? Augments I will cherry pick but do I need to stay at a certain class to level for stats for these builds?

First of all, pawns cannot choose hybrid vocations like Magick Archer, Mystic Knight, and Assassin, so only basic/advanced vocations only.

Mystic Knight is a great class that can handle all sorts of situation no problem (except Metal Golem, because fuck Metal Golem ("I agree!" shouted the Magick Archer too)), although if you want to maximize his damage potential you need to decide which ones do you prefer more, physical or magical, and start level on classes focusing on your choice more exclusively. Important to note however, his arguably greatest damage dealer, Great Cannon, is 60:40 Magick/Physical.

But really, you will be fine even if you level on it exclusively straight out. People leveling too much as Sorcerer/Assassin may have high attack power but they may create an Arisen that is too fragile in the end to handle big fights.

Just beat it. I really liked the ending. One of the better endings in recent memory. Cleared up a lot of the confusion I had. The last area was also really cool. How do I open everything up?

Strider started to grow on me. Solely because of fracture dart. Still don't like it's melee capabilities.

maomaoIYP

Yeah I don't think Sorcerer is bad per se, it's more not my cup of tea. Magick Archer actually does exactly what I want which is why I think it is my favorite class overall. Not so much because it's OP as fuck in BBI, but more because it has my favorite melee abilities and then the kind of ranged abilities I like. I don't think it's that popular, but vortex trail is actually my favorite ability in the game since it lets you position most enemies wherever you want. I get a lot of enjoyment out of pinning them to the wall and then using ricochet hunter or cutting wind to murder them. Puts a smile on my face every time.

The Sorcerer is the best class in vanilla imo. In BBI there are magic immune fuckers, so the sorcerer loses some awesomeness.
All the classes are fun and different enough from each other. Just for pure melee, guard crushing, head smashing awesomeness I actually love the warrior a lot.

ZenaxPure

The Sorcerer is the best class in vanilla imo. In BBI there are magic immune fuckers, so the sorcerer loses some awesomeness.
All the classes are fun and different enough from each other. Just for pure melee, guard crushing, head smashing awesomeness I actually love the warrior a lot.

Eh, there is a difference in best and the one you have the most fun with. Sorcerer just doesn't have what I like is all, but I agree one of the strengths of the game is how diverse and fun the classes can be. I actually had a lot of fun playing my fighter thanks to hindsight slash alone, that is a super fun ability that no other class has anything similar to.

Dresden

Assassins have masterful kill, which is the best defensive ability in the game. Insanely long timeframe for parries and it counters damn near everything.

maomaoIYP

Eh, there is a difference in best and the one you have the most fun with. Sorcerer just doesn't have what I like is all, but I agree one of the strengths of the game is how diverse and fun the classes can be. I actually had a lot of fun playing my fighter thanks to hindsight slash alone, that is a super fun ability that no other class has anything similar to.

Yeah I agree, all the classes play quite differently, and it's really fun to switch out when you're getting bored and try to tackle different situations with a different class.

Shengar

I just....got really bad day which forced to lose all of my progress back to six days ago.
Damned shit, I might rest a while, wait my exams really over before I try to tackle the game again.

Escape Onslaught is pretty fun, but my favourite is Snakebite. Unlike Flesh Skewer, you're invincible while the skill is active. And you can instant reset the recover frames too if needed.

Masterful kill is stupid fun. Especially against the big monsters.

But really the best thing I like about sins is having 6 skills.

ZenaxPure

Warrior has Escape/Exodus Slash, and Assassin(?) has Escape Onslaught for daggers.

Neither of those get a damage bonus for actually dodging the attack (or at least their descriptions doesn't mention it). The thing I enjoy about hindsight slash is when used to actually dodge an attack the damage/knockdown is increased. The game actually lets you know if you pull it off correctly as well since there will be a momentary slow motion thing before it happens. If anything I'd say masterful kill is the most similar ability to it, but it's still not the same.

On the topic of snakebite though I like it because the knockdown effect works on pretty much 99% of the non-boss mobs in BBI including some of the larger enemies like the fat zombie dudes. You can effectively keep enemies perma-knocked down with it where they can't do anything at all.

Top Bottom