• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Man I've been trying to farm for Darkening Storm for about a week and the only item I seem to get are Framae Daggers (and a one time Blackwing Bow). Now I'm" out of Rift Crystals and have to farm for more which is irritating as hell offline (wish they had a money/RC converter in-game). I'm" starting to find the whole trial & error purifying process to be tedious which sucks because trying to get this bow is sucking the fun out of the game for me (after investing so much time I'm" now OCD about getting this fucking bow). It'd be one thing if you could immediately access Daimon a la UR Dragon but the mindless dashing through each run to go fight him is what's killing it for me. Oh well, I'll be back at it again tomorrow.

Have you been changing the vocation of you and your pawn to match the weapon you want? Have you been purifying your lvl 2 weapons as well? This can effect the predetermined pattern of what weapon you'll receive.

Here

Edit:I never confirmed this, but I still think the sidequests from the request boards on BBI are somehow tied to what you can purify. I killed Daimon 35+ times and got nothing but head and leg armor from the lvl 3 cursed armor (no arm or torso) and a handful of the same weapons from lvl 3 cursed weapons. I desperately wanted a Revenant Wail and but it never happened. I stopped farming Daimon, collected and completed most of the sidequests from the BBI boards (that means ALL the request boards, don't forget the ones in the sanctuaries within BBI) came back and got entirely different types of weapons and armor.

If you're desperate, its worth a try and will get you away from the grind. Some of the quests send you out into Gransys to kill newly spawned BBI monsters, so its fun and a nice change of pace

Easiest way to get what you want is to purify 10-20 items at once; by doing that, you can get a full set of Hellfire/Oblivion/Carrion, or all available weapons in one go (me as Mystic Knight, pawn as Strider got me everything but the Sorcerer's staff, multiples of all of them too).

The only problem with doing that is burning the 250k(?) RC, but I'd say it's worth it to slowly build to 20 weapons and purify at once instead of just 2 or 3 at a time.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
hey guys so I beat the dragon, and now I was messing around in everfall a bit... is there stuff I should do out in the world before I finish everfall?
Also I have been playing assasin, with a shield, should I switch to a bow for fun? what are some good bow skills?
Last question, if you are linked online to servers, would you automatically face the online UR dragon? which I have heard is impossible lately in his 400th form or some crap.. lol.

thanks guys, amazing game

Well, you should finish *everything* since finishing Everfall means finishing the game and will carry you to New Game+.

As for assassin, ranged characters in most cases has so many advantages against short-ranged characters like fighters/warriors its not even fair :( So yeah, carry a bow with you.

And Online Ur-Dragon is automatically encountered if you are online in Chambers of Lament: also yeah, if we want to take it down we must *coordinate*, GAF, no other way. My guy is around 3000 magic with Bloodlust and Blackwing Bow and holy damn his attacks only affect its health little by little. It is *too overpowered.*

Anyways,

Last time I logged in, I got this from my main pawn:

image.jpg

I was so shocked I just have to take a picture! Hahaha.

If there's any of you hurting for RCs and want me to carry your pawns around, just give me a holler. PS3 only though. My PSN is LaughingBanana.

Easiest way to get what you want is to purify 10-20 items at once; by doing that, you can get a full set of Hellfire/Oblivion/Carrion, or all available weapons in one go (me as Mystic Knight, pawn as Strider got me everything but the Sorcerer's staff, multiples of all of them too).

The only problem with doing that is burning the 250k(?) RC, but I'd say it's worth it to slowly build to 20 weapons and purify at once instead of just 2 or 3 at a time.
I never tried this, wish I had. I was getting really frustrated with the drops and purification system back in April and May.

ZenaxPure

Haha Banana. I try to stick with pawns from people in this thread but I've gotten to the point where I've grossly out leveled all of them except yours (and I'm about to catch up to her). So I've been using random pawns from the rift that are my level + your pawn.

Technically I think I could drag anyone around since at this point I kill Daimon without even being knocked off him once (so very quickly), but I am lazy and I don't have to manage your pawn that much (since with her gear/level she rarely dies). I tried taking pyscho's pawn out recently but she was one shot by a cursed dragon tail swipe and my initial reaction was just "fuckkkk I don't want to walk over and res you" so I went back to using Celest.

It also helps that your pawn (since the last time I logged on) has the exact 6 mage abilities that I would roll with as a mage pawn. She fits into my party perfectly.

Also I am totally hurting on RC if you are going to be playing anytime soon haha. I've been farming Daimon a lot lately.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Haha Banana. I try to stick with pawns from people in this thread but I've gotten to the point where I've grossly out leveled all of them except yours (and I'm about to catch up to her). So I've been using random pawns from the rift that are my level + your pawn.

Technically I think I could drag anyone around since at this point I kill Daimon without even being knocked off him once (so very quickly), but I am lazy and I don't have to manage your pawn that much (since with her gear/level she rarely dies). I tried taking pyscho's pawn out recently but she was one shot by a cursed dragon tail swipe and my initial reaction was just "fuckkkk I don't want to walk over and res you" so I went back to using Celest.

It also helps that your pawn (since the last time I logged on) has the exact 6 mage abilities that I would roll with as a mage pawn. She fits into my party perfectly.

Also I am totally hurting on RC if you are going to be playing anytime soon haha. I've been farming Daimon a lot lately.

Yeah, thanks a lot for that! I was really surprised!

Sure, I'll carry your pawn for a while! If I can make a request, make her a Mage since I will be training my Celestia as Sorcerer up to max level to get that extra magic oomph so I can use a healer :)

ZenaxPure

Yeah, thanks a lot for that! I was really surprised!

Sure, I'll carry your pawn for a while! If I can make a request, make her a Mage since I will be training my Celestia as Sorcerer up to max level to get that extra magic oomph so I can use a healer :)

Sure thing, I will change her here in a minute.

ZenaxPure

Alright thanks! I can only play at night most of the time (right now where I live is 2.50 P.M.) I'll carry your pawn around till I reach max level :)

Works for me! Just did a quick Daimon run since I didn't have a good Mage weapon and my lv 3 weapon was Dominion Claw, so that worked out really well. I've had pretty good luck with the weapons, I have almost every single one of them now.

Shengar

As much as Celestia really tanky, she get curbstomped really hard by online Ur-Dragon.
Damnit, I'm not sure I can killed it when Grace Period come.

Also Banana, it seem Holy Pact is bugged, since my arrow couldn't kill ghost for shit when I got the buff from your pawn. Though I'm not really sure since my pawn can hit ghost with holy buff, but what make it doubtful is that I don't know from whom she get the buff.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
As much as Celestia really tanky, she get curbstomped really hard by online Ur-Dragon.
Damnit, I'm not sure I can killed it when Grace Period come.

Also Banana, it seem Holy Pact is bugged, since my arrow couldn't kill ghost for shit when I got the buff from your pawn. Though I'm not really sure since my pawn can hit ghost with holy buff, but what make it doubtful is that I don't know from whom she get the buff.

Online UR is just crazy right now... Gen 400-ish. Even fully golden forged level 3 BBI weapon can only damage it little by little...

Holy pact is bugged? Hmmmm perhaps. I typically use Magick Archer so I never had any problems with ghosts. I'll check it.

Anyways, I've carried your and ZenaxPure's pawn for a while... wonder how much RC you two get...

Also, speaking of RCs.... I am glad that my Celestia is used by numerous people yet again... can't really believe my luck with her, wow.....

MilkBeard

Been slowly ticking away at this game, along with some others I am playing. This is definitely my go-to game when I just want to run around and explore and take a load off from life, ha ha.

Judging by what some people have said earlier, looks like a made a good choice with strider for my character. I'm now an Assassin, which is a cool class but I still only use knives and bows. You don't really need a shield in this game, at least from what I've encountered so far. Playing with a bow is so much fun anyway.

This game is really fun to explore.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Hi all. I'm just jumping on board with my PS+ copy of this game. I want to go in blind, so I'm not looking for guides or anything. Just one question for now. Is the level-up system one that allows you to distribute points of any kind? If so, is there an easy, infinite way to reset points? Thanks!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hi all. I'm just jumping on board with my PS+ copy of this game. I want to go in blind, so I'm not looking for guides or anything. Just one question for now. Is the level-up system one that allows you to distribute points of any kind? If so, is there an easy, infinite way to reset points? Thanks!

No, unfortunately. It's a one way irreversible system.

No, you can´t distribute points or reset anything. The character evolution depends on the vocation you are using. For example, Sorcerer gives more points do Magick that the other vocations, while Warrior gives more points to Strenght.

Hey if you're looking for new hires my pawn is LV 200 with a decent amount of lv3 BBI gear, PSN thebryanjzx pawn name Saori. Aaand now I feel weird naming my pawn after my wife if I'm gonna be pimping her out.

ZenaxPure

Hey if you're looking for new hires my pawn is LV 200 with a decent amount of lv3 BBI gear, PSN thebryanjzx pawn name Saori. Aaand now I feel weird naming my pawn after my wife if I'm gonna be pimping her out.

Alright, I'll add you and roll with your pawn in my last slot. I'm hoping to hit 200 soonish. Sitting at 175 right now.

Shengar

I explored all Everfall, then
replace the Seneschal
, and greatly dissappointed by the former. Some provided a decent challenge like the chamber with 2 Cockatrices and a Lich, but many of them dissapointing. And the drop, how horrible it is! I only got two item worth, which thankfully can be used by me or my pawn, but seriously, fuck hapsurd juice, fuck it. I'm gonna play BBI now until I exhausted myself and platinum the game.

ZenaxPure

I never found any gear worth anything from the Everfall, even from the Ur-Dragon. Though, honestly I only spent enough time in the Everfall to finish the quest and then I just went to BBI and never looked back. BBI is just everything I loved about the game with a decent loot system tacked on (seems annoying at first, but once you get good at farming it's not that bad. I can get to Daimon and murder him in around 15ish minutes).

Also a bit ago I killed Death for the first time, then walked into the next room and he was there with a full HP bar (so I assume he just respawns when killed). That's rather anticlimactic. As strong as Magick Archer is I think Ranger is the ultimate Death killer, one buffed tenfold flurry with blast arrows was taking down an entire HP bar on Death and caused him to be perma-knocked down. Was fairly humorous.

Shengar

Is playing BBI on Hard is a nightmare? Cause it seems enemies are harder to knockdown. I never put any boss on permanent knockdown state, even lesser dragon even though I used blast arrows.

ZenaxPure

Is playing BBI on Hard is a nightmare? Cause it seems enemies are harder to knockdown. I never put any boss on permanent knockdown state, even lesser dragon even though I used blast arrows.

I don't play on hard and that is one of the reasons why. IMO Hard mode in DD is exactly the opposite of what devs should strive for in higher difficulties. It doesn't change enemy behavior at all and just removes mechanics from the game. That said, Death is the only boss I've ever perma-knocked down though (and I mean completely permanently, the moment he would start his animation for standing up he would just fall over again), so it's not really a common thing even on normal.

MechaGodzilla

Neo Member
I just started playing this after finishing Dark Souls. I'm getting the feeling I should have chose something else before this just cleanse my pallet. I DS is one of favorite games and for some dumb reason I thought this would be similar. It's not.

ZenaxPure

I just started playing this after finishing Dark Souls. I'm getting the feeling I should have chose something else before this just cleanse my pallet. I DS is one of favorite games and for some dumb reason I thought this would be similar. It's not.

Yeah, the two games are pretty much on the opposite sides of the world in terms of gameplay.

Shengar

I don't play on hard and that is one of the reasons why. IMO Hard mode in DD is exactly the opposite of what devs should strive for in higher difficulties. It doesn't change enemy behavior at all and just removes mechanics from the game. That said, Death is the only boss I've ever perma-knocked down though (and I mean completely permanently, the moment he would start his animation for standing up he would just fall over again), so it's not really a common thing even on normal.

I want to switch to Normal mode so I can play it relaxed, but man, dem moneys and experience points. Without the bonus, my level should probably around 50s instead of 80s and my total gold earned wouldn't be 8 millions.

ZenaxPure

I want to switch to Normal mode so I can play it relaxed, but man, dem moneys and experience points. Without the bonus, my level should probably around 50s instead of 80s and my total gold earned wouldn't be 8 millions.

That is one of the best parts of BBI, it doesn't matter. I currently have 21 million gold and 13 un-purified level 2 weapons if I ever actually need more gold again (level 2 weapons vendor for anywhere from 500k to 1 million gold per weapon). As for XP, I hit level 180 last night and I've been gaining a level every 2 to 3 cursed dragon kills (which is just what I've been using for leveling since I can kill them in a matter of seconds).

I mean technically I guess that would go faster on hard mode, but, I went from level 175 to 180 in like 10 minutes so I guess I don't care enough when I am already going that fast.

Have you been changing the vocation of you and your pawn to match the weapon you want? Have you been purifying your lvl 2 weapons as well? This can effect the predetermined pattern of what weapon you'll receive.

Here

Edit:I never confirmed this, but I still think the sidequests from the request boards on BBI are somehow tied to what you can purify. I killed Daimon 35+ times and got nothing but head and leg armor from the lvl 3 cursed armor (no arm or torso) and a handful of the same weapons from lvl 3 cursed weapons. I desperately wanted a Revenant Wail and but it never happened. I stopped farming Daimon, collected and completed most of the sidequests from the BBI boards (that means ALL the request boards, don't forget the ones in the sanctuaries within BBI) came back and got entirely different types of weapons and armor.

If you're desperate, its worth a try and will get you away from the grind. Some of the quests send you out into Gransys to kill newly spawned BBI monsters, so its fun and a nice change of pace

Sorry for the late reply, I was doing all of those strategies a while back but didn't see any results for the weapons so I went back to doing it the old fashioned way but thanks a lot anyways brother. I just turned on the game, did a run and got the Bow! Happy New Year indeed LMAO!

Shit wish I would've thought of this but I got just about everything now, all I really wanted left was D-Storm. Whelp back to enjoying the game again.

I just reached Daimon and I'm around lvl 70. I'm not sure if I should kill him or go back and wait until I get better equipment because as of right now it takes me over 30 mins to kill an elder ogre(and probably more for Daimon), and I heard that after beating Daimon BBI gets harder.

ZenaxPure

I just reached Daimon and I'm around lvl 70. I'm not sure if I should kill him or go back and wait until I get better equipment because as of right now it takes me over 30 mins to kill an elder ogre(and probably more for Daimon), and I heard that after beating Daimon BBI gets harder.

Yeah, you might want to get some better gear. I wouldn't really say BBI gets harder exactly after you beat him, it's more that it gets more dense with enemies. They aren't afraid to throw stuff like 3 eliminators at you at once (the minotaur guys) among other stuff. None of the enemies get harder, you just fight multiple at once in most every room.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Level 70 is fine for Daimon 1st form.

And once you enter the door of his room, regardless whether you fight him or not, the game treats it as if you're on a 2nd run through BBI in terms of enemy placement anyways (at least in the Fallen City), so might as well fight him :p

It took me around 20-30 minutes to beat him the first time I encountered him, and it's a nice heart-bumping fight! :) Now I can destroy him very quickly though, barring the occasional gaffe of him killing me with that swipe attack of his (very devastating in Hard)

ZenaxPure

Should climb on his face and stab away!

Really though the fact you can climb him kinda kills the fight for me, it completely trivializes like half of his mechanics. I guess it could potentially be interesting on a few classes though, I've been meaning to go back and fight him as a Warrior at some point.

Dresden

It's a pain in the ass on Hard because nothing gets knocked down and everything will kill you in two shots. Double the pain if you play a warrior.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hey ZenaxPure, how much RC you last got from me? Just wondering how much RCs someone can get from me if I carried his/her pawn on my typical BBI run.

Shengar

It's a pain in the ass on Hard because nothing gets knocked down and everything will kill you in two shots. Double the pain if you play a warrior.

Isn't play as melee vocation is nigh impossible on Hard due to the increased damage?
I don't really worry about nothing get knocked down though as long as I bring Liquid Vim with me. All I need yo do is just Invisibility+Fivefold Flurry and barrage the enemy. If things turned sour then I just need to equip Blast Arrow.

ZenaxPure

Hey ZenaxPure, how much RC you last got from me? Just wondering how much RCs someone can get from me if I carried his/her pawn on my typical BBI run.

Stupid servers haven't updated yet or something, checked a few times and the only RC I got was from someone named "funny". Probably won't be able to tell you until tomorrow.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Stupid servers haven't updated yet or something, checked a few times and the only RC I got was from someone named "funny". Probably won't be able to tell you until tomorrow.

I wonder if it's because I haven't released her yet. I wonder whether the RC data of the pawns we bring only get to the server by releasing them in the riftstone.... hmmmmmm.

maomaoIYP

Living armor is one of the main reasons I stick to playing magick archer. Fuckers are annoying when you don't have magic.

Fuckers are impossible when you ONLY have magic. Which means technically speaking warriors can still equip an enchanted weapon to take them out, but are unbeatable for full sorc parties.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Fuckers are impossible when you ONLY have magic. Which means technically speaking warriors can still equip an enchanted weapon to take them out, but are unbeatable for full sorc parties.

Huh.

Bolide/High Bolide/Grand Bolide deals physical damage though, so it should affect them... although I imagine it will be a colossal pain the ass.

maomaoIYP

Huh.

Bolide/High Bolide/Grand Bolide deals physical damage though, so it should affect them... although I imagine it will be a colossal pain the ass.

Nope. The last time I tried it with a 2 man sorc team it barely did anything. They're the only things I skip in BBI with this setup.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Nope. The last time I tried it with a 2 man sorc team it barely did anything. They're the only things I skip in BBI with this setup.

Huhhh. Bolide-spells can reliably damage Golem's disks so I just figured. Hmm.

Well, just more proof that Magick Archer is the best vocation for BBI <3

I really hate the Eliminator!
We finally meet. Funny thing. I died here a lot. So much that I needed more curatives lol. Got better pawns.
I went grapple crazy on Daimon and did good damage. Then he does the rift attack which catches my main pawn and my my other mage pawn with all lvl 3 rarefied BBI gear. It was just me and the strider against him. Funny thing is my main pawn was carrying curatives, so I immediately gave it to myself and my other strider pawn. Freaking strider pawn didn't shoot his head. It took a while before he went down. I was loaded on curatives. Now I need a lot of RC! Can't purify anything worthwhile since I spent it all. Man, how come people don't rent my pawn!

ZenaxPure

Now I need a lot of RC!

If you're on PSN, I will gladly run your pawn through some BBI.

ZenaxPure, can I add your PSN? I need high leveled Pawn to plowthrough BBI on Hard. I just've sent the request.

Absolutely, that said though, there are a few other people in this thread with max level pawns (that still post). You should have access to multiple high level pawns. Typically my pawn is a Sorcerer, but, it's currently in the rift as a mage for Banana (though I assume he's max level now since last I checked his pawn is was level 193). TheBryan has a max level ranger pawn, and Banana's is a mage.

It's worth noting though that a high level pawn really does kill your xp gain. I didn't realize it until I decided to drop the pawns in my party (except my own) for leveling the last few levels. I went from getting 100k (before weal) xp to 250k from Daimon.

Well, just more proof that Magick Archer is the best vocation for BBI <3

I think objectively it probably is the best vocation for BBI lol. I mean thousand kisses does ridiculous damage when you are climbing an opponent and ninefold bolt/ricochet shot deal crazy damage as well. Plus I still roll with vortex trail since it's my favorite ability and neither living armors or eliminators are immune to it which makes the fallen city hilarious (my favorite is when you use it on the 3 spawn in front of daimon's door and trick them into jumping off the ledge).

Also I just woke up and checked again and still no RC from you. I don't understand how this game works lol.

If you're on PSN, I will gladly run your pawn through some BBI.
Yes please. My PSN is Zerokoolpsx. Could I bring your pawn along too? Aiming for Hard pretty soon once I'm done with some Daimon runs.

I'm gaining really good levels. Gained 4 levels pretty fast. Kinda forgot I'm still using some lvl 80 pawns. They're geared though.

ZenaxPure

It finally updated Banana, I got exactly 274,203 RC from the run you did. Pretty solid number.

Yes please. My PSN is Zerokoolpsx. Could I bring your pawn along too? Aiming for Hard pretty soon once I'm done with some Daimon runs.

I'm gaining really good levels. Gained 4 levels pretty fast. Kinda forgot I'm still using some lvl 80 pawns. They're geared though.

Sure, I sent you a friend request and stuff. I already took your pawn through a quick Daimon run.

No doubt the Magick Archer is at the very least offensively, the best class for Bitterblack. When I fight Living Armors, I demolish them with my Assassin until all of their armor is off then I play support while my Main Pawn finishes them off because even with enchanted weapons I don't seem to do a lot of damage compared to my Pawn who can just knock chunks of health off of them with one spell. Sometimes the Living Armor will troll like a motherfucker when they're about to die, they start endlessly chasing my pawn and forcing him to cancel his spells lol, Shield Drum is my best friend in that situation.

Man I dig this game way more than I think I am supposed to and I've cleared just about everything I want to do. Think I'll finally be making the plunge to New Game+ soon so I can do the few quests that I missed; overpowered or no I'm" still not tired of this game. Now back to farming for those Beastial Eyes.

Top Bottom