• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Sera O

Banned
Eh, there is a difference in best and the one you have the most fun with. Sorcerer just doesn't have what I like is all, but I agree one of the strengths of the game is how diverse and fun the classes can be. I actually had a lot of fun playing my fighter thanks to hindsight slash alone, that is a super fun ability that no other class has anything similar to.

Yeah, it's cool that the classes play quite differently from each other. It's really easy to change things up and have a fresh experience playing (which is why I've put so many hours into this game and I'm now thinking of trying mystic knight). Even changing skill setup can really alter how you approach drastically sometimes and usually there are a decent number of options for each situation.

Except for metal golems, screw those guys.

ZenaxPure

Except for metal golems, screw those guys.

I ran into the one in BBI this morning as a Magic Archer and my first thought was "fuck is there going to be one in a tree again?" Metal Golems totally are the worst thing ever.

Also on the topic of why I love this game to death, I also learned this morning Eliminators aren't immune to vortex trail (I figured they would be given how huge they are). Makes them so hilarious to fight. New vortexes will usually take priority over an old one (though it can be finicky) so I was placing them alone a path to drag them into hallways or tight spots then ricochet huntering them to death.

But yeah, I was actually thinking of giving mystic knight another go once I finished gearing and upgrading my archer set. I figure whatever class I run through BBI with is the class I will try to purify the gear for. I enjoy how BBI is set up, how it resets and allows you to keep farming it so you can go through as different classes.

Dresden

BBI would be so killer with proper multiplayer support. I like how inventive the pawn system is, but going through Dark Arisen makes it feel like a missed opportunity.

Erehael

Neo Member
I'm level 56 now and gaining a level is getting a lot slower.
Should I finish the game and then go to BBI or do BBI in NG+?

BBI would be so killer with proper multiplayer support. I like how inventive the pawn system is, but going through Dark Arisen makes it feel like a missed opportunity.

What do you mean MP support? PvP. I dig that. Me and my pawn vs you and your pawn, yeah I dig that a lot. Obviously they need to balance a lot of things first. Heck even co op would be awesome, it would be just like D&D.

I'm level 56 now and gaining a level is getting a lot slower.
Should I finish the game and then go to BBI or do BBI in NG+?

Do BBI first. NG+ is the same as NG except hard mode is a viable option now since you have your equipment. Post game doesn't really mount to much its basically there for the plot and Ur Dragon.

I forgot to write my impressions of the ending and will do it soon but I found it quite a
sad ending

Dresden

What do you mean MP support? PvP. I dig that. Me and my pawn vs you and your pawn, yeah I dig that a lot. Obviously they need to balance a lot of things first. Heck even co op would be awesome, it would be just like D&D.

Nah, just coop. BBI is one big extended dungeon crawl, so being able to go through with your bros while setting some conditional parameters to improve or decrease loot would be swell. I think Dogma II, if it ever happens, will go in that direction . . . but a sequel isn't really all that certain.

Sera O

Banned
Nah, just coop. BBI is one big extended dungeon crawl, so being able to go through with your bros while setting some conditional parameters to improve or decrease loot would be swell. I think Dogma II, if it ever happens, will go in that direction . . . but a sequel isn't really all that certain.

I got a "Multiplayer BBI" feeling from the Deep Down material I saw, so I'm curious how that battle system shapes up.

I miss getting lost in Gransys in the dead of night and not knowing what was going to come at me. If DD2 is a possibility, hopefully they maintain that direction with a more dynamic world/encounters. BBI is cool because it demands rigor at first, but it's lacking in the adventuring aspect which I think is DDs biggest strength.

The pawn system is cool, but you're right about BBI really exposing the insufficiency of the AI and making you wish for real allies in your party. It seems like going through BBI would be a lot more relaxed if pawns weren't constantly yolo-ing into the abyss or eating Death's scythe, though.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Holy shit. I just found out about Super Jump, and it's only possible with a Magick Archer. With this you can reach very high places no problem!

Jump + Double Jump + Sun Flare + Instant Reset + Sun Flare.

Getting around places is a lot more fun now!

Shengar

Do BBI first. NG+ is the same as NG except hard mode is a viable option now since you have your equipment. Post game doesn't really mount to much its basically there for the plot and Ur Dragon. [/SPOILER]

I'm playing hard mode from scratch. Not that bad actually, since its only increase received damage and more stamina consumption. And the money, why I can't keep all these gold?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
*Sings and dances*

I was so lucky, managed to find a Magick Bowman's Band that gave me Ninefold Bolt AND Explosive Volley, all in one package from purifying a level one gear (my Arisen as Magick Archer and my Celestia as Sorcerer)! Holy shiiit!

Dragon_s_Dogma_Dark_Arisen_Screenshot.jpg

Explosive Volley is awesome, and Ninefold Bolt is so beautiful ;_____________________;

Taking pics of some of Dark Arisen's 3rd Tier Skills too from Warrior and Mystic Knight:

Dual skill bands are cool, I have both of them for my strider pawn, but I still keep Dragonblood on me for the most part. It's too good with all of its resistances.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I never got the Dragonblood :( but my Arisen has 100% resistance on almost every status even without it, with all the lv. 3 gear she's wearing, hah.

My arisen and pawn are both wearing dual dragonblood's. Still have some post game gear, but nothing great.

I killed my first cursed dragon in the Pilgrim's Gauntlet. My 2 support pawns was so useless. I died about 5 times to it, due to the stupid pawn's AI about just healing me and following me around instead of attacking it. After the kill, it dragonforged everything except for my Crimson Chest Plate. Time to pass it on to my pawn.
Never seen so much equipment being dragonforged at once hahaha. It was extrenely satisfying killing that dragon. ;)

Ran into death, couldn't effective fight it at 70.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
started playing after downloading it off of PS+, and wasn't sure if it was a brand new game, or just an add on (had beaten DD on 360 back when it came out).

Interesting to see it's the base game+DA. How early is any of the DA stuff? It's been long enough I don't remember much of the base DD game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I really hate Sinew, feels too mandatory. I guess I could just leave stuff laying around on the ground, but that ain't really my style.

It really is. Especially considering how heavy cursed items in BBI is.

Anyways, I think I am pretty much done with this game, although I guess I don't mind going back from time to time helping people here gaining RCs. If anyone in here is hurting for RC, call me up and I will help regardless of your level/vocation; I'll carry your pawns around killing stuff in BBI.

So i beat my first encounter with an undead dragon in Bitterblack Isle.

Literally took about 25 minutes and used up all my resources. Seems like it would have went faster if i had fire enchantments. He is weak to fire right?

so i just finished dark souls and i think i might start playing dd seriously soon
i kinda want to go in blind but there's one thing i want to know, which is the most satisfying melee build ? i tried to get into the game some time ago, went for a templar or something (the class that enchants his shield) and i didn't really like it

edit : just to make it clear i'm not asking for op builds or something like that, just the ones that you feel are enjoyable and viable for the game

ZenaxPure

Well I finally finished up the trophies. Would have been done like a week ago but I got lazy with the recruit pawns trophy and gathering 350 unique weapon/armor pieces.

Really fun ride, especially since I am still going to keep playing (which I rarely do after finishing a trophy set for a game since there is usually nothing left to do in games then). There are still some classes I want to play more and I want to get some more level 3 gear on BBI (My Pawn got a bunch of nice shit last night that basically forced me into switching her back to a Sorcerer for now).

so i just finished dark souls and i think i might start playing dd seriously soon
i kinda want to go in blind but there's one thing i want to know, which is the most satisfying melee build ? i tried to get into the game some time ago, went for a templar or something (the class that enchants his shield) and i didn't really like it

Most satisfying is extremely subjective here since it all comes down to personal taste. My favorite melee class is Assassin, but I prefer Magick Archer because it has most of the Assassin abilities I like and fun ranged abilities stacked on top of that.

I think my real advice is you need to just level them all up to level 5 or 6 and see which one you like. Personally I think all of the melee classes are fun (except Mystic Knight which I haven't spent much time with), but they are all vastly different from one another in how you play them. Outside of the rogue classes (yellow classes) all of the melee builds have completely different play styles, and even within the yellow classes each of them have a handful of unique skills the others don't have that make them play a little differently.

edit : just to make it clear i'm not asking for op builds or something like that, just the ones that you feel are enjoyable and viable for the game

If you like being defensive and parrying stuff: fighter
If you like being like a ninja: assassin
If you like carrying a giant weapon and fucking shit up: warrior
If you like using magic as well as melee: mystic knight

That's basically all there is to it. I think the Assassin has the coolest skills though.

ZenaxPure

Well actually if you like using magic and melee I think the magick archer is a more fun choice, but that's just me >_>. That class is more about control though, which is kind of my thing in action rpgs. The mystic knight is more about something I have no idea since I need to play it more. You block attacks or some shit.

Well actually if you like using magic and melee I think the magick archer is a more fun choice, but that's just me >_>. That class is more about control though, which is kind of my thing in action rpgs. The mystic knight is more about something I have no idea since I need to play it more. You block attacks or some shit.
Magick Archer is a ranger class though.

ZenaxPure

Magick Archer is a ranger class though.

Not really, technically it's a hybrid class. Has melee and magic. It even has unique melee abilities the other rogue classes does not have.

In BBI the distinction is especially diminished because the most effective way to kill 99% of the bosses as melee is to climb them and hack away, which Magick Archer has and can pull off exceptionally well with hundred kisses.

Sera O

Banned

I would suggest just trying them all - even if you don't end up sticking with them, you will end up unlocking useful augments that will help you no matter what class you play.

Haha this game still finds ways to sass me even at level infinity. Well, my fault I guess. Not much else to do after kicking so much ass in BBI as a Magic Archer, so I started trying to collect the LV 2 and 3 gear for other classes. Got a nice longsword so I decided to switch to warrior and get it dragonforged. And as long as I'm doing that, I might as well get some other gear from earlier in the game dragonforged too! Oh but I don't have sinew, and all this stuff is heavy. Let's just put all my items in storage and use whatever I can find along the way.

Only, oops I forgot how much I suck with warrior! So I got rocked by the firedrake, but eventually managed to take it down. Good thing it wasn't a wyrm or wyrven. But I had already eaten pretty much everything on the ground in the Bluemoon Tower. And then I took a couple bites to the face from the Cursed Dragon. Man I wish I knew how to play warrior. So, no healing items left, no wakestones, and now only about 100hp. Was about to say fuck it and get out of there, but I also didn't have any liftstones and I didn't trust that I could run past the dragon without taking a hit. Plus, it was down to its last two bars of health! So I fucking hid. I ran to the room with two moonbeam doors inside, and amazingly enough this was the perfect distance for me to cower in a corner but for my pawns to still fight! And they were actually doing damage!

Everything was actually working, until I hit a little snag when one of my favorite hired pawns, Tiny the Strider, got possessed. Man she always gets possessed but I still keep her even though she's 50 levels lower than me because she's so dang aggressive. Of course, that's not a good thing when she switches sides and comes after you. Luckily she was also barely alive so I smacked her once with that neat new sword, revived her and sent her back out to fight the dragon right away. Soon enough, the Cursed Dragon had no health left, so I poked my head out, waited a beat, then dashed in and finished it off with a jumping overhead chop to its weak point. Boom, everything DFed except for that dumb Meilorean Cyclops Veil.

ZenaxPure

If anyone doesn't mind, I burned through my half a mil RC on level 3 stuff so I could use some more again if someone wants to drag my pawn around. On the plus side though she's rocking a lot of level 3 armor and the best sorc staff so she hits like a truck nowadays. Need to build up my stash again. I'm almost done with gear for my main vocations so I'm gonna work on hitting the level cap now.

Random story attached to that though, Grand Bolide fucks cursed dragons up. I went Sorcerer to dragon forge the staff (since it's sorc only) and with the magic buff one cast of Grand Bolide totally did half of a his HP. I thought I was going to have trouble killing it as a Sorcerer but it turned out to be one of my fastest kills on them.

Shengar

Finally I've finished the main storyline quest. My opinion on it, they should just go with the bleak atmosphere right from the start. Now I'm confused where should I go. Hunt monster for board quest first, or should I just jumped to Everfall? Or maybe pay a visit to BBI first?

I guess now I can put DD on my "gameplay" list and play another game from my "story" list.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Finally I've finished the main storyline quest. My opinion on it, they should just go with the bleak atmosphere right from the start. Now I'm confused where should I go. Hunt monster for board quest first, or should I just jumped to Everfall? Or maybe pay a visit to BBI first?

Do some Everfall first. BBI can get plenty rough even when fully kitted out with Ur Dragon loots. Besides, its a fun dungeon in its own right, and learning how to get to the right chamber when and as you want to farm for something specific is kinda tricky.

Also, if you decide that you've missed some story events during the course of your playthrough, it might be helpful to just farm out Everfall, finish the final story events, and leave farming Ur and BBI to NG+. Those things are available throughout, whereas for obvious reasons Everfall can only be explored at the end of a story cycle.

Shengar

Do some Everfall first. BBI can get plenty rough even when fully kitted out with Ur Dragon loots. Besides, its a fun dungeon in its own right, and learning how to get to the right chamber when and as you want to farm for something specific is kinda tricky.

Also, if you decide that you've missed some story events during the course of your playthrough, it might be helpful to just farm out Everfall, finish the final story events, and leave farming Ur and BBI to NG+. Those things are available throughout, whereas for obvious reasons Everfall can only be explored at the end of a story cycle.

Yeah I missed The Conspirator side quest because I forget completing the main quest will rendered some side quest unplayable. This really annoy the hell out of me. I will explore Post-Game Gransys first then, completing some board quest here and there (especially killing the cockatrice in Soulflayer Cavern) then dive deep to Everfall.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Everfall was honestly my least favorite part of the game. It's basically rng chest hunting with nothing interesting in between. You'll explore some areas and it'll be like deadend, locked door, dead end, chest with junk in it. Thanks. Ur Drag is the only good part.

Shengar

Everfall was honestly my least favorite part of the game. It's basically rng chest hunting with nothing interesting in between. You'll explore some areas and it'll be like deadend, locked door, dead end, chest with junk in it. Thanks. Ur Drag is the only good part.

I wouldn't pushed myself too hard with RNGing the game. My goal is just to cleared all the Everfall area, then move on to NG+. RNGing to get equipment is just too timewasing. Also since I played on Hard Mode, any boss would just oneshot me regardless of equipment I wear.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Everfall was honestly my least favorite part of the game. It's basically rng chest hunting with nothing interesting in between.

That's not an unfair description of Everfall, but I enjoyed learning how to deal with the various combinations of monsters in the various chambers. Especially as there are quite a few things in there that don't appear previously.

Also BBI's mixture of random loot and stuff that is determined by job-role is just as grindy in its own way, as it seemed to me that there's a hidden hierarchy at work ensuring you can't get the top-tier stuff until you have the lesser sets.

More than anything else though BBI's difficulty is way, way, more severe. There are combo's in there that make the hardest fights in Everfall look like nothing. Chamber of Fate's "hard" layout has nothing on Sparyard's
triple-dragon + Death
equivalent encounter.

skybald

Ok, just started this and don't really understand or know of a lot of the mechanics.

I picked a mage character but I seem to be getting smacked early on. I cannot beat the alligator dudes in the well even though I beat the hydra and have two pawns.
I have a staff but can I also use a sword or something? If I keep playing the single player quests will everything get fleshed out?

Thanks

Shengar

Ok, just started this and don't really understand or know of a lot of the mechanics.

I picked a mage character but I seem to be getting smacked early on. I cannot beat the alligator dudes in the well even though I beat the hydra and have two pawns.
I have a staff but can I also use a sword or something? If I keep playing the single player quests will everything get fleshed out?

Thanks

Early game is tough for mage character, and Saurian is hard to beat at that point of the game. They are harder than then Hydra mostly because they are mostly outnumbered you in much smaller space. You should hire one more pawn or revisit the area later when you reach Gran Soren.

Oh, another notice, you should go directly to Lost and Found quest after reaching Gran Soren so you did not miss it after exploring Everfall for the first time.

You can stay on the cliff's edge and hit them with ranged attacks from above. Well you can with a bow. Never played mage. Also, try hiring a fighter pawn with shield drum to draw aggro.

skybald

Early game is tough for mage character, and Saurian is hard to beat at that point of the game. They are harder than then Hydra mostly because they are mostly outnumbered you in much smaller space. You should hire one more pawn or revisit the area later when you reach Gran Soren.

Oh, another notice, you should go directly to Lost and Found quest after reaching Gran Soren so you did not miss it after exploring Everfall for the first time.
Thanks. Is it possible to wield a bow or a sword as well playing a mage?

maomaoIYP

Saurians freeze easily, use that basic ice spell to stop them in their tracks, then aim your fire spell at their tail. When aiming a spell click RS (or LS, I can't remember which), to lock on. Once their tail is off they're easy pickings.

Shengar

Thanks. Is it possible to wield a bow or a sword as well playing a mage?

Mage hybrid class is avaible when you get to Gran Soren and reach level 10. Mystic Knight is Mage/Fighter hybrid while Magick Archer is Mage/Strider. Do note even though Mystic Knight sword/mace attack could be physical, Magick Archer bow attack is only do magic damage.

skybald

When you get to Gran Soren you can change your vocation to Mystic Knight (Sword/Mace/Staff and Shield) or a Magick Archer (Daggers/Staff and Magic Bow).

Saurians freeze easily, use that basic ice spell to stop them in their tracks, then aim your fire spell at their tail. When aiming a spell click RS (or LS, I can't remember which), to lock on. Once their tail is off they're easy pickings.

Thanks everyone. Need to learn that ice spell then

Mage hybrid class is avaible when you get to Gran Soren and reach level 10. Mystic Knight is Mage/Fighter hybrid while Magick Archer is Mage/Strider. Do note even though Mystic Knight sword/mace attack could be physical, Magick Archer bow attack is only do magic damage.

This game is so addictive. Makes me feel like I am living a D&D campaign. Dunno why it took me four restarts (reach Gran Soren then quit), but once it clicked it clicked hard. Decided to roll a Strider with a Warrior pawn to guard me. Seemed like a logical choice, and Strider is a joy to play as so far. Just did the story quest under the pawn guild in Gran Soren so I am still rather early into the game, but I feel like I have a much better grasp of how the game works. Taking it slow to learn the game's systems, and trying every quest that comes my way, instead of rushing to the next story event.

Some observations from playing....

Really appreciate not having to rate, and receive and give stupid gifts because of pawns at the inn. I remember having to do that before and it seemed tedious.

Also finally realizing that your materials can be stored at the inn and still be used in enhancements. In previous plays I had all kinds of crap on me that I didn't know what to do with and I avoided items because they made me too heavy lol. Now I love finding stuff because I know I can stash it away to be useful for later.

Searching for specific abilities for pawns in the nexus makes things so much better now that I noticed I could do it. Entering an undead heavy area with holy and fire magic makes for good strategy.

Also never noticed how you can see quest goals on the map. Before I was searching around like a fool without any idea of where the objectives were. It still feels challenging though, because the goals aren't entirely giveaways.

I love the pawn chatter. While it can be repetitive at times, it really brings the world to life.

Herla

I decided to abandon my quest to run BBI as much as I could (it was apparent that it's impossible to stop having fun in there) and decided to finish the story.

Holy Shit. That..."secret" ending. Fuck. I don't even know if I want a sequel anymore. I mean, I want it, but they need to expand on this stuff in some way. It went from GOTY to possible candidate on my list of best games of the generation.

Now I just need to finish it again to platinum it...

joecanada

hey guys so I beat the dragon, and now I was messing around in everfall a bit... is there stuff I should do out in the world before I finish everfall?
Also I have been playing assasin, with a shield, should I switch to a bow for fun? what are some good bow skills?
Last question, if you are linked online to servers, would you automatically face the online UR dragon? which I have heard is impossible lately in his 400th form or some crap.. lol.

thanks guys, amazing game

Top Bottom