• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Otheradam

Can some of you guys run my pawn through some runs for rift crystals. I just started this on PS3 and have not gotten any rift crystals. Guess no one is starting new characters anymore. I'm currently arround lvl 42. Please send me a friend request, PSN id is otheradam.

Also, how is BBI as an assassin. I think I am going to use that as my main. I don't want to switch to sorc now and lvl to 100 to gain enough magic to be a decent magick archer.

ZenaxPure

I don't want to switch to sorc now and lvl to 100 to gain enough magic to be a decent magick archer.

I wouldn't worry about that too much honestly. I barely played Sorc while leveling up and I can shred stuff as Magick Archer. Nowadays my ninefold bolt does almost 2 HP bars of damage to a condemned gorecyclops fully buffed (not sure about other enemies, anything else with that much HP I just climb and thousand kiss them to death). Could probably be higher sure, but it seems high enough to me.

Assassin should be fine though, especially if you enjoy it more.

Also I can run your pawn around after I run some others around.

joecanada

Can some of you guys run my pawn through some runs for rift crystals. I just started this on PS3 and have not gotten any rift crystals. Guess no one is starting new characters anymore. I'm currently arround lvl 42. Please send me a friend request, PSN id is otheradam.

Also, how is BBI as an assassin. I think I am going to use that as my main. I don't want to switch to sorc now and lvl to 100 to gain enough magic to be a decent magick archer.

I'll run your pawn around, I have actually been using lower level pawns lately to gain more XP... psn id - JoeCanada.
You can use my pawn too "hellfire" if you want but she is like level 75 so you will get less experience if you are lower level....

she is a sorcerer and spams bolide though lol.... pretty good for her level. dies alot though as she tries to tank too much lol.

edit - question guys... i use an assasin with dragons dogma (sword) and gouge+ ... i just climb on and gouge away until dead... are daggers technically a better weapon because I can't see getting much better than this...

Santiako

I'm in dire need of RC due to damn Orla ripping me off with the purifications, my pawn name is Cha-Cha and my PSN id is Duramboros. I'll use your pawns as well.

ZenaxPure

edit - question guys... i use an assasin with dragons dogma (sword) and gouge+ ... i just climb on and gouge away until dead... are daggers technically a better weapon because I can't see getting much better than this...

Hundred Kisses can be used while climbing an enemy as well. I don't know exact numbers or anything, but I assume the two attacks are fairly identical just one requires daggers and the other a sword. I've never actually used gouge myself, but I will say you can spam hundred kisses a long ass time without it draining stamina as long as you keep mashing the button. Not sure if gouge works that way as well.

I'm in dire need of RC due to damn Orla ripping me off with the purifications, my pawn name is Cha-Cha and my PSN id is Duramboros. I'll use your pawns as well.

Maybe not today, but I can take your pawns for a ride in the isle. But before, I stll have someone to help...ZenaxPure maybe?

I use daggers instead of a sword because I like to have an evade move and because most of the times I attack using the bow.

ZenaxPure

Maybe not today, but I can take your pawns for a ride in the isle. But before, I stll have someone to help...ZenaxPure maybe?

It's cool if you help others. As of this morning I have all of the level 3 weapons and all of the level 3 armor (minus grave claws), and about half of the level 3 rare armor. Only thing I will be spending RC on going forward is level 3 armor and upgrades, so it's not too bad.

Otheradam

Thanks guys. I'll add you guys to my psn friends list.

What's a good level to start BBI? I will probably switch to magic archer and see how it feels after I reach rank 10 in assassin.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
So I just started and have no idea what I'm doing. Still having fun though.

Can anyone point me to some resources for new players? Any tips or things I could miss if I'm not careful?

I need to pick a vocation. I was thinking Mage but what do you all recommend?

ZenaxPure

So I just started and have no idea what I'm doing. Still having fun though.

Can anyone point me to some resources for new players? Any tips or things I could miss if I'm not careful?

I need to pick a vocation. I was thinking Mage but what do you all recommend?

I don't really feel like you need a guide for just starting. Really the only thing worth noting to me is that there is a shit load of missable quests. Specifically there are quests that if you choose to skip you won't gain access to other quests later in the game (since some later quests require you to have completed earlier ones). I wouldn't sweat it too much though because there is a new game plus. I just played through the game normally and then on my NG+ used a walkthrough.

As for what vocation to play, there is no harm is starting as a mage. Mainly because eventually you will want to branch out and do other vocations for their passive abilities (that can be equipped by any other vocation). After a few early missions you are able to change your vocation any time you see fit. There is a one time unlock cost for the class, but after that you can change as often as you like with no penalty, the combat is all about experimentation so they don't really limit you that much in that regard.

Shengar

Dragonforging your pawn equipment is a pain in the ass. Though I might said that landing the Arc of Deliverance on Drake is pure fun.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I don't really feel like you need a guide for just starting. Really the only thing worth noting to me is that there is a shit load of missable quests. Specifically there are quests that if you choose to skip you won't gain access to other quests later in the game (since some later quests require you to have completed earlier ones). I wouldn't sweat it too much though because there is a new game plus. I just played through the game normally and then on my NG+ used a walkthrough.

As for what vocation to play, there is no harm is starting as a mage. Mainly because eventually you will want to branch out and do other vocations for their passive abilities (that can be equipped by any other vocation). After a few early missions you are able to change your vocation any time you see fit. There is a one time unlock cost for the class, but after that you can change as often as you like with no penalty, the combat is all about experimentation so they don't really limit you that much in that regard.
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to try all 3 once I can change at will just so I find the one I enjoy playing the most.

joecanada

What's a good level to start BBI? I will probably switch to magic archer and see how it feels after I reach rank 10 in assassin.

I went there first at about level 35... you can do it but you have to run from every boss pretty much or hide in hallways shooting out into the garden or other courtyards.... any *dead body* encounters (if you go you will find out what this means, death attracts more death), will be impossible.

I am now about level 78, and still last night I spent 40 minutes going thru three rooms... ran into those red wights, then some super saurians, then an elder ogre decided to drop in, then an eliminator flanked by skeleton mages.

.... final cost - 2 wakestones and one fleeing arisen.

btw to answer above I think assasin is awesome, I love the sword and bow, I use gouge, the other day I got on a dragons back and gouged my way all the way to victory (bring lots of mushrooms)... I can take down most bosses with two gouge moves. getting on their back is not always easy though (eliminators ftl )

ZenaxPure

btw to answer above I think assasin is awesome, I love the sword and bow, I use gouge, the other day I got on a dragons back and gouged my way all the way to victory (bring lots of mushrooms)... I can take down most bosses with two gouge moves. getting on their back is not always easy though (eliminators ftl )

I keep meaning to try swords when I do assassin, but I always feel so naked without instant reset. It's such an interesting ability on a mechanical level since you can just exit 99% of the animations in the game. Honestly have to admit I kinda feel like a badass whenever an enemy knocks me away and I simply instant reset before hitting the ground. It also turns shearing wind into a decent (albeit stamina heavy) sprint ability.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to try all 3 once I can change at will just so I find the one I enjoy playing the most.

Well, one thing to note is that there are actually 9 classes available to you, just only 3 at the start. After a few hours the others will unlock. 3 are "advanced" versions of the basic classes (though those classes lack things the lower versions have in some cases) and 3 hybrid classes (magic knight like class, magic archer, and a warrior/rogue hybrid).

Released your pawn right before Daimon ZenaPure. She died a few times so I'm not sure if she gets RC or not. Gonna summon her again since I still need some dps in my group.

ZenaxPure

Oh my god you can instant reset out of the lantern animation. I had no idea.

Best ability confirmed.

Released your pawn right before Daimon ZenaPure. She died a few times so I'm not sure if she gets RC or not. Gonna summon her again since I still need some dps in my group.

I actually got around 400k from you so far. Pretty nice haul.

Oh my god you can instant reset out of the lantern animation. I had no idea.

Best ability confirmed.

I actually got around 400k from you so far. Pretty nice haul.
Instant reset lantern animation?

Man, I forgot how much I hate the last city. Fighting eliminators with Wyverns casting their spells. For some reason, I dodge and fought my way through instead of going for the Wyverns first. At least their hp bar is really short.

ZenaxPure

Instant reset lantern animation?

Yeah, the animation for bringing out/putting away your lantern. It's short sure, but, I still always found it annoying. I had no idea instant reset went that far and let you cancel out of it.

As for the fallen city, I always tend to go along the roof tops and murder the dragons first. They are assholes.

yamo

Thinking about starting this game for the first time, i'm going in pretty clueless! Anything special I should think about? Any choices I might end up regretting later on?

So how do you handle Daimon 2nd form when he does the Rift attack. I just lost my entire party and it drains a ton of stamina even if I dodge away. Should I give everyone mushrooms or something?

Its just me and him. He has like 6 bars of hp.......

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Thinking about starting this game for the first time, i'm going in pretty clueless! Anything special I should think about? Any choices I might end up regretting later on?
A few posts ago...

But yeah I'm just starting out too, we can probably help each other as we go along. Ended up picking Fighter vocation to start. You on PSN?

Mine is

Surreal_Blue

ZenaxPure

So how do you handle Daimon 2nd form when he does the Rift attack. I just lost my entire party and it drains a ton of stamina even if I dodge away. Should I give everyone mushrooms or something?

Its just me and him. He has like 6 bars of hp.......

If you are climbing him it makes you immune to the rift attack (at least as far as I can tell). If you do enough damage he will stop channeling it. If you're ranged (or a warrior) I can't offer much advice since I always just ignore the mechanic and haven't actually ever fought him as a ranged exclusive vocation.

Kinda like I mentioned a few days ago, any class that can do great damage while climbing (which is basically everything but mystic knight, warrior, mage, and sorc I think) can ignore like most of the mechanics on Daimon.

Got him down to 2 bars of hp solo with my ranger and his rift attack caught me lol. Well, that was about 30 minutes wasted.

If you are climbing him it makes you immune to the rift attack (at least as far as I can tell). If you do enough damage he will stop channeling it.
Thanks for the tip. Took him down real quick and interrupted his rift attack. Gained almost 3 levels from killing him.
WtSipcm.jpg

yamo

A few posts ago...

But yeah I'm just starting out too, we can probably help each other as we go along. Ended up picking Fighter vocation to start. You on PSN?

Mine is

Surreal_Blue

Suppose I should have read at least the last page before posting! Just finnished the tutorial dungeon and woken up.. Picked fighter to start as well. I will add you on PSN.

Game is a bit overwhelming to begin with. I'm just going through menus atm checking all this junk I picked up in the first building.

Edit: Ended up killing the first cyclops then spending half an hour making my pawn. I'm not really happy with my main character though.. might have to start all over again.

Shengar

If you are climbing him it makes you immune to the rift attack (at least as far as I can tell). If you do enough damage he will stop channeling it. If you're ranged (or a warrior) I can't offer much advice since I always just ignore the mechanic and haven't actually ever fought him as a ranged exclusive vocation.

Kinda like I mentioned a few days ago, any class that can do great damage while climbing (which is basically everything but mystic knight, warrior, mage, and sorc I think) can ignore like most of the mechanics on Daimon.

Does Fivefold Flurry with 150 Blast Arrows and Liquid Vim is enough to stop his channeling?

Shengar

Finished my first BBI run. The ring loots I get are all shit, but it was good experience nonetheless. Daimon OST is stellar, I demand more of this if Capcom ever want to make Dragon's Dogma 2.

Erehael

Neo Member
My pawn is about to turn 80. She was a Mage from 1-50 and then a Sorcerer until now. I fear that her HP and Def might be a bit low. Should I use the next 20 levels to level her as a Warrior to gain some more HP?
I'm in BBI right now and I killed the first boss.

Hi everyone. So, I got DA through the European PS+, I really really love the game. My only problem is with my main char class. I have a lvl 50 something sorcerer, and a lvl 50 something warrior pawn, I was fine up until before the final battle, now everything basically bodies me, and it's infuckingpossible to kill monsters like golems, because my pawn just doesn't figure out how to attack it.. Can I still change vocation without fucking my stats up? What should I choose? Do I hav no choice but to start from scratch? Also, not related to the above thing, is there a good online walktrhough for getting the platinum trophy? Thank you everyone! My psn id is angelcage1987, if anyone would like to add me.

ZenaxPure

To both of you, don't worry so much about the stat growths while leveling. It's not completely irrelevant, but, gear just matters so much more in the long run. Sitting at max level I have no trouble murdering stuff with magic or melee, and I never ever bothered to min/max my stats at all. I've said it in 2 different posts over the past couple of days, but, when I can use one ability to remove 2 full bars of health from a cyclopes in BBI even if min/maxing gave noticeable damage differences (which it might, I dunno), those cyclopes only have 11 bars of HP anyway. Doing more than I did now would just be stupid overkill. Just swap your vocation around, get the best gear you can afford, and don't think too much about it.

Also as quick math, what you said about your pawn Erehael means that you only lost 140 defense by playing as mage/sorc as opposed to warrior or 210 compared to fighter (assuming I didn't fuck up simple math there, which is entirely possible given my inability to do simple math). Anyway, the second best chest piece in the game for warrior/fighters (which isn't that hard to get once you start farming BBI) has 202 defense fully upgraded. That one single piece of armor is about the same amount of defenses you lost over the course of 70 levels, which, is minimal when you consider you have an entire armor set to equip.

As for a walkthrough for platinum, I used this one myself. Specifically I found the way they structured the quest achievement to be extremely handy. They use a color coded naming system to show when each quest is available at each point in the game.

Shengar

It's really hard to get around as physical vocation if you don't have the access to any elemental affinites. I noticed that both of you, Laughing Banana and ZenaxPure, have sorcerer pawn that focused on offensive spell. Is it because both of you guys played as Magick Archer and left the elemental buff casting to yourself? Really tempted to try Magick Archer, but the I can't use my Demon's Bane then D:

ZenaxPure

It's really hard to get around as physical vocation if you don't have the access to any elemental affinites. I noticed that both of you, Laughing Banana and ZenaxPure, have sorcerer pawn that focused on offensive spell. Is it because both of you guys played as Magick Archer and left the elemental buff casting to yourself? Really tempted to try Magick Archer, but the I can't use my Demon's Bane then D:

It's more that you don't really need elemental buffs as a magick archer honestly as they do magic damage already. For me at least I found ninefold bolt (magic damage) and thousand kisses (physical damage) to cover every single enemy in BBI. If an enemy is resistant to one, just use the other. I actually never use a staff on my character because it's extra weight I have to lug around in my inventory, which is annoying in BBI.

That said, I believe my pawn currently has holy affinity, I think. Since I mostly do the last wing of BBI it's an alright affinity, most enemies that spawn there are either neutral or weak to holy, not sure if any resist it off the top of my head.

On the topic of magick archer though, I finally decided to give immolation a go and man it's stronger than I thought. By the time I climb up to Daimon's head (second form) it does an entire bar of his hp. Pretty crazy. I think I'm going to run immolation/instant reset/thousand kisses every Daimon clear now.

Garland7G

So I got locked out of a quest pretty early on called lost and found, its like the 1st witchwood quest iirc, am I screwed here? what will I miss aside from xp?

ZenaxPure

So I got locked out of a quest pretty early on called lost and found, its like the 1st witchwood quest iirc, am I screwed here? what will I miss aside from xp?

Story bits (some cutscenes and such, none of which have any barring on the main story) and xp are it. And the quests that that quest leads to (which is another 3 or 4 you've locked yourself out of).

Nothing really meaningful outside of a side story.

Garland7G

Story bits (some cutscenes and such, none of which have any barring on the main story) and xp are it. And the quests that that quest leads to (which is another 3 or 4 you've locked yourself out of).

Nothing really meaningful outside of a side story.

Thx, I'll need to make a note of it for new game+

Thank you very much, whenever you can, there's really no rush.

I have not forgotten about you two. Today I'm going to take a break from GT6 and play a bit of Dark Arisen.

Aside from some XP, you will not be able to do another sidequest that would give you the Blessed Flower (double xp).

ZenaxPure

I'm so proud of your pawn zerokool, I didn't even realize pawns were smart enough to string together thousand kisses with instant reset. She took down like 2 bars of HP on a Living Armor with it before he even turned around to try and swat her away.

Released Pia and Cha-Cha after having defeated Death four times with a Blessed Flower (656.250 EXP x2 each fight).

And if anyone want or need a lvl 200 pawn, my PSN ID is RS_Daimon (Capcom copied my PSN ID :p ).

------

I'm so proud of your pawn zerokool, I didn't even realize pawns were smart enough to string together thousand kisses with instant reset. She took down like 2 bars of HP on a Living Armor with it before he even turned around to try and swat her away.

Sometimes pawns can surprise you in a good way, like throwing an explosive barrel to the middle of an enemy group or carrying a fallen pawn.

Hydrargyrus

If someone want a medical sorcerer, I have one pawn with level 46

I would be proud of him if someone uses it... and came back with something :D

I'm now adding you Persona RS

Santiako

Released Pia and Cha-Cha after having defeated Death four times with a Blessed Flower (656.250 EXP x2 each fight).

And if anyone want or need a lvl 200 pawn, my PSN ID is RS_Daimon (Capcom copied my PSN ID :p ).

Thank you very much, those 250000+ RC will be very handy indeed. :D I'll also send you a friend request later so your pawn can get me out of some jams lol

Shengar

Just what the fuck man
How did online UR-Dragon died when I'm asleep?! I'm sure the damned thing have 4.8 HP left before I go to sleep!
Back to grinding it goes. I'll try Magick Archer, it just too bad Masterful Kill exclusive to Assassin only D:

Otheradam

------

Sometimes pawns can surprise you in a good way, like throwing an explosive barrel to the middle of an enemy group or carrying a fallen pawn.

Got Pia back with a ton of RC and the BBI present! Thanks so much. I'll add you to my psn list too.

Thanks! I aim to please. I'm always looking at her skills and augments to see what works or not and adjust if necessary.

I'll shoot you an invite. I'm down to 1k RC again and still got some bitterblack items that needs purifying.

Shengar

Played Magick Archer, did not please to see grunt need many hit to die.
Then I met the gorecyclops in Soulflayer Canyon. Ninefold Arrows the monster. The thing didn't bunch an inch from its starting place.
Goddamn

ZenaxPure

I'll shoot you an invite. I'm down to 1k RC again and still got some bitterblack items that needs purifying.

How much RC have you gotten from me so far? I've been taking your pawn places (and released it a few times with free items) but it's always hard to know how much RC someone has actually gotten out of it. I wish the game was more transparent in that regard.

Played Magick Archer, did not please to see grunt need many hit to die.
Then I met the gorecyclops in Soulflayer Canyon. Ninefold Arrows the monster. The thing didn't bunch an inch from its starting place.
Goddamn

The default magick archer bow attacks are pretty bad, mostly because they are really slow. ninefold really is what I would consider your primary attack. Though really, the higher level you get (and more stamina) you should probably just stop using basic attacks in general, both ranged and melee. Even as magick archer for example, there is no need to use basic melee attacks when you have hundred kisses (especially if you are running hundred kisses/instant reset). Maybe use basic attacks if you know you will one shot the enemy (which becomes a reality eventually), I guess.

Shengar

The default magick archer bow attacks are pretty bad, mostly because they are really slow. ninefold really is what I would consider your primary attack. Though really, the higher level you get (and more stamina) you should probably just stop using basic attacks in general, both ranged and melee. Even as magick archer for example, there is no need to use basic melee attacks when you have hundred kisses (especially if you are running hundred kisses/instant reset). Maybe use basic attacks if you know you will one shot the enemy (which becomes a reality eventually), I guess.

Well that was before I upgrade my magick bow. Sometimes it one-shot grunt even when it is not headshot, sometime it doesn't. Snow Harpy apparently, become tankier when they began to sing. Nonetheless, Ninefold Bolts is really powerful. Even Drakes go down very quickly. Though I've noticed that Ninefold Bolts element will be always ice regardless of buff you have unlike elemental default attack that could be overriden. This could be pretty bummer against wyrm and frostwyrm, my most hated dragonkin due to their heart location that is so hard to reach.

ZenaxPure

This could be pretty bummer against wyrm and frostwyrm, my most hated dragonkin due to their heart location that is so hard to reach.

Frostwyrms actually have a pretty good heart location that is easy to reach. All you need to do is walk up and press the grab button, no need to start anywhere else and try to climb there or try and jump to make it. I find them really easy to latch on to since you can do it while standing still.

That said though, when you get immolation (or whatever the first name of it is I forget) you will be laughing at how easy frostwyrms are. You can literally kill one by just popping it and standing under their heart. Their natural weakness to fire damage means the ability does insane damage.

Shengar

Frostwyrms actually have a pretty good heart location that is easy to reach. All you need to do is walk up and press the grab button, no need to start anywhere else and try to climb there or try and jump to make it. I find them really easy to latch on to since you can do it while standing still.

That said though, when you get immolation (or whatever the first name of it is I forget) you will be laughing at how easy frostwyrms are. You can literally kill one by just popping it and standing under their heart. Their natural weakness to fire damage means the ability does insane damage.

I'll just suck at grabbing then. I always ended up at its hind leg somehow.
Also its frost aura is really annoying. I always frozen when I reach its heart. Is Immolation null that frostaura somehow?

Top Bottom