• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

I'd still like reports from anyone currently playing right now. I'm considering nabbing it on PSN since I still have the $10 credit from the last promotion.

I have the PSN version. It feels about the same as vanilla, though it's been several months since I played that. Running around a field and fighting is fine, but sometimes in canyons there's a hitch to load... and the framerate in Gran Soren isn't wonderful. If it's improved it's only modestly improved.

But, to me, the framerate is fine. I don't mind a low framerate in town as long as I can fight smoothly - which I can.

Grisby

Bout to play in a bit. So the deal is that some of the dlc might be in there? I never bought any and I'm on my 2nd go around and was planning just to port my save over to Dark Arisen.

Pretty sure they said that they weren't trying to improve that stuff or fixing the tearing on the 360 version. Visually, it's the same game.

Is this really true? I stopped playing the xbox version and traded it in due to screen tearing, but the ps3 version i got in the trade has huge framerate slowdowns. If they didn't improve the framerate or screen tearing in their respective versions, then theyre's no way I'm picking this up. Shame to waste a re release not improving the game performance.

Edit:

famousmortimer said:
But, to me, the framerate is fine. I don't mind a low framerate in town as long as I can fight smoothly - which I can.

I definitely couldn't fight with a stable framerate (ps3), so if this is really the same performance then I won't make the jump.

DLC UPDATE (Thanks Tentpole and famousmortimer): Ok, looks like all of this is confirmed to be in, but it doesn't immediately show up in your inventory (like as if you'd bought it from the PSN). Gear can be purchased from the Black Cat. Quests show up at their designated time. Hairstyles and voices should be accessible from the stylist shop in Gran Soren.

Also, to reassure my heart, Kevin VanOrd confirmed it with Capcom PR:https://twitter.com/fiddlecub/status/326767756865335296

• A Coiffure You Can't Refuse
  • A Face of a Different Color
  • Weapon Pack: The Monster Hunter
  • Weapon Pack: The Debilitator
  • Armor Pack: Divine Protection
  • Armor Pack: Demon's Protection
  • Armor Pack: Motley Crew
  • Quest Pack: The Chosen
  • Quest Pack: The Challenger
  • Quest Pack: The Savvy
  • From A Different Sky - Parts 1 - 10
  • Set Out for Adventure - The Right Tools
  • Challenge Pack: A Trial for Adventurers

xCobalt

Just noticed that you can equip two pieces of jewelry now! Got a ring that increases my strength by 69 and magick by 56.

There is also a new type of equipment in this game. You get generic types of equipment that is unusable and you have to go to an NPC to "reveal" it. Once the item is revealed, it'll have a generic name with random enchantments on it. I got 3 rings with the same name but different stats.

Has anyone beat the (minor boss spoiler)
giant eye boss
on Black Isle yet? His health is dropping so slow.

Edit:have to jump on it. Thankfully the kotaku review had a vid on the boss, as of now the review seems spot on. Only about a hour or 2 in.

TentPole

I am pretty sure that the way the DLC notice board quest work is that each notice board can only have five quest at a time and as you do them new quest replace them so that each board only has five quest at a time. If DLC quest aren't showing up it means that you need to finish up the ones you already have and work your way through them until you get to the DLC quest.

You are being jerked around by either the mean spirited or the misinformed. I never bought any of the DLC for my PS3 copy and it is all here in DA. From a Different Sky fetch quest are there. All sorts of random notice board quest have popped up at every board in the game. All DLC items are available for purchase at the Black Cat as intended, including Mercades' Captain's Armor Set.

Thought so. What they're doing here is making the DLC available but not making it immediately available so as not to spoil people on their very first playthrough. Smart move, though I'd prefer to still have free copies of the items I've already bought.

lol

went to Continue game right away and my vanilla DD New Game Plus LV 49 Hard Mode character was ready to go, right where he left off <3

Also, new snappier menus are NICE (^___^)

Billen

Banned
No, it also includes the full game with DLC and the expansion.

You mean that the downloadable version contains everything? I was undder the impression that I missed out on some stones, armor and things like that. Also that I missed out on some new texture pack that was supposed to make it run (load) better.

Edit: Read to Joystiq review. This got me confused: "While the option to purchase a digital copy of the expansion exists, players new to the franchise will want to opt for the physical bundle, which includes both an install disc for the Dark Arisen portions of the game and another to launch into the original Dragon's Dogma." so, it's access to the physical discs only? Wohoo. Or something. :D

ironcreed

Banned
You mean that the downloadable version contains everything? I was undder the impression that I missed out on some stones, armor and things like that. Also that I missed out on some new texture pack that was supposed to make it run (load) better.

It's the same content as the disk version.

TentPole

Those are bonuses for having a save game from the first release but non of it is a big deal... unless you are jst dying to play the game as a nun. Digital vs retail has no bearing on them.

Noticed something odd when I started a new game after importing. I wouldn't let me select Hard Mode from the menu. I went to start a new game and hard difficulty wasn't an option. I had to run through the tutorial dungeon on normal and then switch to hard once I had started Cassardis. Why is that?

Can anyone confirm if the PSN digital version loads pawn dialogue quicker? I always noticed on the vanilla game that the PS3 had to fetch the dialog off of the disc, which kind of irked me. Small pet peeve, of course, but just curious.

Thanks for the info, guys.

I'm gonna pick this up after class. Capcom got me with Devil May Cry 3: special edition years back. They're good at enticing me with new content

Mesoian

Noticed something odd when I started a new game after importing. I wouldn't let me select Hard Mode from the menu. I went to start a new game and hard difficulty wasn't an option. I had to run through the tutorial dungeon on normal and then switch to hard once I had started Cassardis. Why is that?

OOOOOOOOOH NOOOOOOO that's garbage...

I wonder if that'll effect the cheevo.

nikos

As a Strider, do I want my companion to be a Fighter or Mage? I answered the questions to try to get a healer, so Mage?

As a Strider, do I want my companion to be a Fighter or Mage? I answered the questions to try to get a healer, so Mage?

If you're melee, definitely get a mage to support you. I went melee with an archer pawn for a while and damn it was rough, we ate so much warish together it was ridiculous.

PS3 version for me anyways since my saves were on the PS3, but I'm glad to hear about the performance as I'm usually the type to find poor framerate more tolerable than screen tearing.

Chairhome

So is this only available in-store at gamestop? I wanted to pick it up using paypal which left me with Best Buy or Walmart as options, but it looks like they're not getting any in-store. :-/

I've only played the demo of the original, so I just had a quick question. I usually like to play status ailment type characters (or DOT/poison types being my favorite). What type of character should I roll with in this game that is a good fit? I played a pryo as well in Dark Souls and loved the hell out of it as well, if there is something like that too.

Also, I know about the texture bump, but is it confirmed that this runs at a more stable and smooth framerate on ps3 compared to the original this time around? Thanks!

So is this only available in-store at gamestop? I wanted to pick it up using paypal which left me with Best Buy or Walmart as options, but it looks like they're not getting any in-store. :-/

Yeah, hard copies at retailers and digital on PSN/XBL.

I've only played the demo of the original, so I just had a quick question. I usually like to play status ailment type characters (or DOT/poison types being my favorite). What type of character should I roll with in this game that is a good fit? I played a pryo as well in Dark Souls and loved the hell out of it as well, if there is something like that too.

Also, I know about the texture bump, but is it confirmed that this runs at a more stable and smooth framerate on ps3 compared to the original this time around? Thanks!

Play Mage (heals, buffs, some debilitation) and Sorcerer (aoe damage, poisons, crowd controls) and Mystic Archer (I think has a bunch of debilitation moves nope, has like 2 of them :/ ).

nikos

If you're melee, definitely get a mage to support you. I went melee with an archer pawn for a while and damn it was rough, we ate so much warish together it was ridiculous.

Thanks! Not sure if I wanted to lean more towards archery or melee, or if that's even an option, but I'll go Mage regardless. I wasn't sure if a tank would be better, if I focus on archery, but answered questions that catered to medic stats.

Raptomex

I did this too.
Thanks! Not sure if I wanted to lean more towards archery or melee, or if that's even an option, but I'll go Mage regardless. I wasn't sure if a tank would be better, if I focus on archery, but answered questions that catered to medic stats.
Be sure to get a mage that has healing capabilities.

Also, is there a guide for this particular version?

I started a game on the Adventure demo just far enough to have a save data, but it doesn't look like it gives you any of the bonuses that an og dd save would. Ah well.

xCobalt

Anyone encounter (boss)
Gore Cylops yet? Not sure the best way of dealing with it. I could avoid it but wheres the fun in that?

Outstanding! Thanks for the insight! Now it's just a PS3 vs. 360 question. :)

But you do need to be careful about saving. Auto-saving checkpoints are few and far between. If you do happen to die you can lose a significant amount of progress if you haven't saved recently. If you did save recently there's no penalty at all.

I'm about to give vanilla Dragon's Dogma's demo a try on PS3. If I like it, should I buy vanilla or spend the extra $20 to get Dark Arisen? I read the fast travel and interface were fixed in the expansion. That correct?

Raptomex

I'm about to give vanilla Dragon's Dogma's demo a try on PS3. If I like it, should I buy vanilla or spend the extra $20 to get Dark Arisen? I read the fast travel and interface were fixed in the expansion. That correct?
Yes, correct. And get Dark Arisen. You would be getting the original game plus everything else.

Ok, DD:DA just delivered and waiting at home. I last left off Vanilla at level 87, New Game Plus in Cassardis, just after awakening as an Arisen. Good time to start Dark Arisen in Hard Mode, yes?

already thinking of restarting my veteran save

Just never found New Game Plus that appealing and am walking over everything even on hard.

You still get infinite ferry stones even with new games right?

dubq

Just playing the PS3 disc version. Is there a background install with this game? I'm literally sitting with it on pause and the blu ray disc keeps reading and the hdd light flashing. I have only been playing for about 15 minutes.. I don't remember the original game doing this. Anyone?

iiicon

Just picked this up on PS3 on my break and I'm already disappointed. Awful instruction book! Hopefully it's all uphill from here.

Top Bottom