• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

KePoW

Banned
Just got home and picked up my package from the door.

For the 360 version, should I install Disc 1 from the xbox dashboard?

atomsk

Party Pooper
2 hours my ass, just spent 6 hours capturing my friends level 200 play-through (pretty sure he's on hard)

Died multiple times, and I have no idea how far we are. Recording more tomorrow.

Death will still one shot you at 200. Only chipped off like 2.5 life bars thus far.

Well the thing is, when I was playing Dragon's Dogma Vanilla, it still carried over the Gold Idol stuff, as far as I remember, and now it's changed, which is what confuses me.

No it wasn't carried over.
The effect of the gold idol were carried after the post game stuff not new gameplus.
i'm talking about the quest itself.
You could keep the gold idol on your inventory to have the bonuses for New gameplus ( discount for example ) but either way you had to get another ( your current run idol ) if you wanted to clear the quest or make a forgery.

This applies even for the extra tomes. You could use their effect early in new game plus but you still had to do the quests ( and said quests could be completed early since you've already had the items in your inventory )

ezekial45

Banned
2 hours my ass, just spent 6 hours capturing my friends level 200 play-through (pretty sure he's on hard)

Died multiple times, and I have no idea how far we are. Recording more tomorrow.

Death will still one shot you at 200. Only chipped off like 2.5 life bars thus far.

Awesome, glad to hear it.

No it wasn't carried over.
The effect of the gold idol were carried after the post game stuff not new gameplus.
i'm talking about the quest itself.
You could keep the gold idol on your inventory to have the bonuses for New gameplus ( discount for example ) but either way you had to get another ( your current run idol ) if you wanted to clear the quest or make a forgery.

This applies even for the extra tomes. You could use their effect early in new game plus but you still had to do the quests ( and said quests could be completed early since you've already had the items in your inventory )

Ah, must have been confusing it then, my mistake. Thanks!

~Kinggi~

Banned
So is the HD texture pack a surprise? Or did the original DD have that install as well? I only knew about dlc and Dark Arisen as the installs/.

Grisby

So is the HD texture pack a surprise? Or did the original DD have that install as well? I only knew about dlc and Dark Arisen as the installs/.
Yes, the HD thingy was not in vanilla Dragons Dogma. On the install disc (360) it has that as well as the option to install the Japanese voice pack.
YES I MANAGED TO NAB THE ONLY NON RESERVE COPY AT THE STORE

Time to install this sucker.
Ha my GS only had two reserved copies. The other one belonged to the guy next to me. I looked up and nodded saying, "Good taste.", before walking out.

I hope I can still find a copy later this week, this looks like a game that could get rare.

Maybe order from Amazon.

I went to Best Buy and Target early this morning, neither store had it. I was able to buy the only non-reserved copy at the nearby GameStop.

Definitely seems like it was not ordered by the big retailers.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Me too. There's no way in hell I'm letting Death come near me.

Make no mistake there is other shit that will kill you. I really thought my friend was going to have a cakewalk at 200, but it's been anything but.

But he's also stubborn and stuck around for a boss fight you can easily run past. (A fight I'm honestly not sure how you would do without cheesing with a ranged guy)

As soon as I saw him spawn, I ran away up a corridor shooting arrows at it.

Ha, I set myself on fire and tried to mount him. Protip: You can't mount Death. lol

But I managed to survive, only to be killed by an optional gore cyclops fight a little while later. Blackbitter Isle is pretty tough, I must say.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Yes, the HD thingy was not in vanilla Dragons Dogma. On the install disc (360) it has that as well as the option to install the Japanese voice pack.

Ha my GS only had two reserved copies. The other one belonged to the guy next to me. I looked up and nodded saying, "Good taste.", before walking out.

Lol weird, i remember all the pre-release news saying the 2nd disc was for the DLC and expansion. Hell thats even better news to know its for HD textures and shit.

I'm finally diving in to this series; used my $20 PSN cash to pay for half of it, seems like a completely viable option. Really looking forward to this.

Thinking about picking this up, but I am only on post in my first playthrough. Haven't even downed UR dragon once yet.

Maybe I should wait? Not sure how the add on island works with the post game stuff.

Billen

Banned
People on Twitch are claiming to have better framerate with this version on PS3 compared to the original release. Anyone that could verify?

What do you get from purifying the Bitterblack Novelty Lv. 1? Anything good? Already have two, and I'm kind of afraid I'll get wrecked again, so I'm almost considering using a Liftstone to get out and purify them.

joeblow

First time DD player here (PS3 version) with some questions:

1. Is it worth it to rent the vanilla game for the bonuses?
2. Any of the DLC worth getting before the first play through, or can I wait!?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
If you play as a Fighter, the game feels a little bit like Dark Souls combat. You can block attacks with your shield, which consumes stamina. There are also attacks to break an opponent's guard.

Lol fighter is exactly the class I plan to go. Though I hear to level assassin for the strength gains and then switch back?

VXLbeast

You asked the right question

'Is the combat engaging?'

My friend. If you think Dark Souls is fun, you will absolutely love Dragon's Dogma in terms of combat.

Thank you much. Maybe I'll give it a quick rent to make sure (I do have a pretty hefty backlog), and then dive in.

As far as RPG's go:

Dark Souls has the best animation centric combat system on store shelves today.

Dragon's Dogma has the best twitch based combat system on store shelves today.

DD-Gaf, you may have a new acolyte. Thanks for the info.

Eusis

People on Twitch are claiming to have better framerate with this version on PS3 compared to the original release. Anyone that could verify?
Grabbed it, tested a tiny bit, and it SEEMS smoother or faster in Gran Soren and Cassardis. But we'll probably need DF to really pick this apart. By the way, for those with the retail version: what's your game data size? I didn't delete my original DD data, and so far DA's is only at 14 MB. I'm thinking it may actually be smart enough to just use existing DD data (that, or they improved load times and just stream everything off the disc.)

And despite what I said about the manual I ended up asking if I could just take the manual back from the copy I traded in yesterday, and got it. Anyone really upset about the lack of manual may want to ask about that at a GameStop with used copies if buying from them.

Lol fighter is exactly the class I plan to go. Though I hear to level assassin for the strength gains and then switch back?

You can do that, but you'll be nerfing your physical defense stat at the same time. I say mix it up.

Here's a Google doc that shows stat progression for each vocation: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...k8wUGNGRTVkeE0xWFE&f=true&noheader=true&gid=9

And of course, if you want to fight with sword and shield you can do that as an Assassin. The Assassin gets the most primary and secondary weapons, and may use One handed Swords or Dagger and Bows or Shields. You get the best of all words, weapons-wise.

Just picked this up on ps3...Didn't play the vanilla version, but i really dug the demo. Any other first timers want to swap pawns? My psn is Moneyman232

Thank you much. Maybe I'll give it a quick rent to make sure (I do have a pretty hefty backlog), and then dive in.
Imagine fighting the Asylum Demon in Dark Souls.

Now imagine you are climbing up his back to attack his wings or other weak spots.

That's what you do in Dragon's Dogma. :D

Talk about bad influence and I just made my friend buy this game.

He has never played it, he likes shooters but never a fan of fantasy games. Oh well, I hope he likes it.

Any suggestions of how to start the game?

xCobalt

So does anyone know how to obtain the secret augments yet?

One of the Bitterblack items. I got 2 scrolls that teach two augments. First is the rate your health returns when being healed and the second was the chance to be left with 1 hp if an ability kills you.

What do you get from purifying the Bitterblack Novelty Lv. 1? Anything good? Already have two, and I'm kind of afraid I'll get wrecked again, so I'm almost considering using a Liftstone to get out and purify them.

I think bitterblack novelty are consumables. Not 100% sure. I uncovered a pretty good set of boots called Assault Boots. Decent stats with +30 attack.

ironcreed

Banned
Just arrived at Bitterblack Isle. Taking a stroll before taking the plunge.

529296_506751312721974_1383202058_n.jpg

Just a had a brief first encounter with Death. He did not tarry long, but I'm guessing that was just to let me know he is there, lol. Beautiful, yet ominous locations so far.

923056_506751446055294_1578120099_n.jpg

407056_506751599388612_544627381_n.jpg

15245_506751662721939_1439235361_n.jpg

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
So does anyone know how to obtain the secret augments yet?

Bittberblack items that you have to get cleansed. Certain ones or Augment scrolls that you read and it adds the augment to your list.

edit: beatensobad - Really really interested in the new tier on the skills... crossing my fingers that they are suitably bad ass... Would love to see clairvoyance add in like another swipe or the ability to stumble large monsters...

burgerdog

Just arrived at Bitterblack Isle. Taking a stroll before taking the plunge.

529296_506751312721974_1383202058_n.jpg

Just a had a brief first encounter with Death. He did not tarry long, but I'm guessing that was just to let me know he is there, lol. Beautiful, yet ominous locations so far.

923056_506751446055294_1578120099_n.jpg

407056_506751599388612_544627381_n.jpg

15245_506751662721939_1439235361_n.jpg

Awesome, heading to the isle now.

One of the Bitterblack items. I got 2 scrolls that teach two augments. First is the rate your health returns when being healed and the second was the chance to be left with 1 hp if an ability kills you.
I got one that makes it harder to be knocked off a creature when mounted, which is pretty freakin' awesome for my Immolation-abusing self.

You can do that, but you'll be nerfing your physical defense stat at the same time. I say mix it up.

Here's a Google doc that shows stat progression for each vocation: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...k8wUGNGRTVkeE0xWFE&f=true&noheader=true&gid=9

And of course, if you want to fight with sword and shield you can do that as an Assassin. The Assassin gets the most primary and secondary weapons, and may use One handed Swords or Dagger and Bows or Shields. You get the best of all words, weapons-wise.

Damn thank you. Useful for a rookie like me.

I hope there's a plethora of cool gear and weapons.

nikos

So I'm looking at my friends' pawns. What happens if we have a large level gap? Are they downleveled, or will everything be ridiculously easy?

One note for Dark Souls veterans: a big flaw of Dragon's Dogma is that it does not have 'quick equip' slots like Dark Souls. That means in order to switch weapons or use a curative, you have to open the menu by pausing the game.

The dpad is mapped to pawn commands, which are really not useful. The dpad would be much better used like in Dark Souls.

Top Bottom