• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Just playing the PS3 disc version. Is there a background install with this game? I'm literally sitting with it on pause and the blu ray disc keeps reading and the hdd light flashing. I have only been playing for about 15 minutes.. I don't remember the original game doing this. Anyone?

Yeah, pretty sure it background installs like 4gbs

Arcteryx

Just playing the PS3 disc version. Is there a background install with this game? I'm literally sitting with it on pause and the blu ray disc keeps reading and the hdd light flashing. I have only been playing for about 15 minutes.. I don't remember the original game doing this. Anyone?

The original did. I remember it chugging/being choppy for about half an hour or so.

Eusis

I expect disappointment from all instruction booklets nowadays.
I checked the manual before trading in and honestly that wasn't all that great anyway. Relative to many current games it's good, BUT it's around 20 pages for an RPG that could probably stand to have 30-50 that better detail the vocations. Even last generation it'd probably have been laughed off.
The manual is in the game.
I hear it's like 6 pages in it anyway.

The most disappointing thing is when manuals are scrapped and digital manuals phoned in anyway.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ok, DD:DA just delivered and waiting at home. I last left off Vanilla at level 87, New Game Plus in Cassardis, just after awakening as an Arisen. Good time to start Dark Arisen in Hard Mode, yes?

I'm in a similar situation, only I'm sitting pretty at level ~130-something, at Cassardis, in the very beginning of NG++!

Definitely switching to Hard and jumping right into the expak!

theDeeDubs

Feel free to add me (GT- DeeDubs, PSN-theDeeDubs). I loved this game so much I platinumed and 1k'd it. Pretty sure both my pawns are Mages with the 360 one being better decked out. I'll probably snag a 360 copy later this week after much debate. Mystic Knights were slide-shows and I got random freezes/hitching a lot on the PS3 version and I mainly only noticed tearing at the start of the game or in cities on the 360 version.

*edit. Thinking of starting a new character so I'm not sure how that will affect my pawns for others.

Mesoian

Yup, my copy is in the next district over, so I'll have it tomorrow. Good stuff.

GT: Mesoian BTW, if anyone wants to use my pawn or anything. God I haven't turned this game on in almost a year, I'm gonna have millions of rift crystals...

Grisby

Menu's are definitely more snappier. Also, the game seems a tiny bit smoother considering I just played the vanilla version last night. This is on Xbox by the way with the texture pack installed.

Also, when I booted up the game it detected my save and I had a set of clothes/infinite ferry stone in my bank. I cloud buy tons of dlc stuff from the black cat too so it seems like it's all there. Haven't noticed any new dlc quests in Gran Soren.

However, while it runs a bit smoother the pop in seems to be worse. Dudes take a little longer to appear and can disappear after walking a few inches away from them/ I'm going to install the actual game to the HD later and see if this helps.

Haven't started the new content yet as I was busy messing with all the new hairstyles and such. Good times.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just picked this up on PS3 on my break and I'm already disappointed. Awful instruction book! Hopefully it's all uphill from here.

I can't even remember the last time a game came with a great manual.

But then again, I don't really mind. I'm more of a "try first, and again, and again, and then maybe consult a manual or something" kind of guy. Truth be told it feels a bit cheap if you buy a game and there's nothing inside the box besides the disc and some stupid leaflet of another game.

Anyway, 3 more days..

xCobalt

Feel free to add me (GT- DeeDubs, PSN-theDeeDubs). I loved this game so much I platinumed and 1k'd it. Pretty sure both my pawns are Mages with the 360 one being better decked out. I'll probably snag a 360 copy later this week after much debate. Mystic Knights were slide-shows and I got random freezes/hitching a lot on the PS3 version and I mainly only noticed tearing at the start of the game or in cities on the 360 version.

*edit. Thinking of starting a new character so I'm not sure how that will affect my pawns for others.

If you have multiple saves on one account, I'm pretty sure the server will have the latest pawn you connected online with.

I'm thinking of making a new character as well and save it on to a USB drive.

Menu's are definitely more snappier. Also, the game seems a tiny bit smoother considering I just played the vanilla version last night. This is on Xbox by the way with the texture pack installed.

Also, when I booted up the game it detected my save and I had a set of clothes/infinite ferry stone in my bank. I cloud buy tons of dlc stuff from the black cat too so it seems like it's all there. Haven't noticed any new dlc quests in Gran Soren.

However, while it runs a bit smoother the pop in seems to be worse. Dudes take a little longer to appear and can disappear after walking a few inches away from them/ I'm going to install the actual game to the HD later and see if this helps.

Haven't started the new content yet as I was busy messing with all the new hairstyles and such. Good times.

I noticed this while doing the tutorial dungeon. I'd run into a room and wonder where the hell the mob went, only to have them teleport next to me 5 seconds later. Game was probably still downloading in the background.

Skilletor

I wasn't going to buy this since I'm pretty early into vanilla DD, but I bought that version used and felt like Capcom should get some of my money for making this amazing game. :)

Will be sure to back up my save before starting, haha.

So I can reroll on an alternate PSN account and still keep my original character, right? So I guess if I start up a vanilla game on that alternate PSN account first, then I can also get all of the benefits in Dark Arisen?

abundant

Just started it and boy do I still love stacked Great Cannons. Paired with the right enchantment and everything dies quickly

Can someone explain this texture pack? It comes with Dark Arisen? Is it part of the install disk for 360?

It's the second disk that comes with the game. You install it.

Does the digital PS3 version include the texture pack?
Texture pack is only choice on PS3 , you don't even have to choose it's there from the start .

Can someone explain this texture pack? It comes with Dark Arisen? Is it part of the install disk for 360?
There are 2 disk on 360 , one comes with the game , the other comes with a install pack for HD textures ( much recommanded ) , and another install for japanese voices.
Again both those features are on the regular blu ray disc on ps3. ( no install needed , the game will install the stuff it needs by itself )

What does downloading player pawns mean?

I never played the original.

You have your character that you can custom,
then you have an helper , it's yours and you can custom it.

Afterwards you can add up to 2 more helpers from either the pool of other players if you're online
or from pre determined helpers from the game.
Your own helper can be recruited by other people , and rate it . Then you can send items to another players with your pawn.

As long as you're online the game will provide helpers for you to recruit simply by walking around ( they appear on cities , dongeons , and regular maps ).

Soodanim

My dispatch email was sent this morning, so I will be eagerly listening for the post tomorrow morning.

For £13, I won't care if it's an awful game. But it won't be, so this is an amazing bargain.

Raptomex

There are 2 disk on 360 , on comes with the game , the other comes with a install pack for Dh textures ( much recommanded ) , and another install for japanese voices.
Again both those features are on the regular blu ray disc on ps3. ( no install needed , the game will install the stuff it needs by itself )
\
Yeah, I installed the second disk for 360. I haven't played the game yet since I had to go to work. I was just curious.

KePoW

Banned
You have your character that you can custom,
then you have an helper , it's yours and you can custom it.

Afterwards you can add up to 2 more helpers from either the pool of other players if you're online
or from pre determined helpers from the game.
Your own helper can be recruited by other people , and rate it . Then you can send items to another players with your pawn.

As long as you're online the game will provide helpers for you to recruit simply by walking around ( they appear on cities , dongeons , and regular maps ).

Thank you for the specific details!

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Welp... just took my 191 assassin solo into the depths for the first time and while the wargs took more than 1 hit (awesome) other things were not really overwhelming me that much... nothing truly monsterous or anything ...

Then i fought a Elder Ogre and 2 of those super large saurian's show up.

Holy shit. That EOgre was fucking swoll. Honestly he almost killed me. Just before I had to shut it off I walked into a large tower room with a
100 foot tall evil fuckin eye??!!
... can't wait for work to be over. Plenty of challenge (post game here).

So, for some reason, I go to Caxton, and he asks for a an idol, and I don't give one, as I figured since he already had the gold one I gave him in my first run (NG+ now) he would still have it...

...Apparently not.

Well that's lame.

VXLbeast

So this game has always looked a speck generic to me, but the more screens I've seen, and the more I've heard people talk about it, the more interested I am. Will this game scratch my Dark Souls itch? Or, i guess a better way to ask it is: is the combat engaging?
Those screens in the OP look fantastic.

So, for some reason, I go to Caxton, and he asks for a an idol, and I don't give one, as I figured since he already had the gold one I gave him in my first run (NG+ now) he would still have it...

...Apparently not.

Well that's lame.

You're in a new cycle, so you have to get idols just like in your first run.All your quests have been reset.

So this game has always looked a speck generic to me, but the more screens I've seen, and the more I've heard people talk about it, the more interested I am. Will this game scratch my Dark Souls itch? Or, i guess a better way to ask it is: is the combat engaging?

You asked the right question

'Is the combat engaging?'

My friend. If you think Dark Souls is fun, you will absolutely love Dragon's Dogma in terms of combat.

You're in a new cycle, so you have to get idols just like in your first run.All your quests have been reset.

Well the thing is, when I was playing Dragon's Dogma Vanilla, it still carried over the Gold Idol stuff, as far as I remember, and now it's changed, which is what confuses me.

Mesoian

As far as RPG's go:

Dark Souls has the best animation centric combat system on store shelves today.

Dragon's Dogma has the best twitch based combat system on store shelves today.

Top Bottom