• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

jediyoshi

Just arrived at Bitterblack Isle. Taking a stroll before taking the plunge.

529296_506751312721974_1383202058_n.jpg

Aw jeeze, was hoping they'd do something about the compression of screenshots by now. Bit of a tragedy having to see the game like this

burgerdog

Pawns are still chatty as heck, is there an option to calm them down?

edit
I can't remember the last time I let a review influence my decision to buy a game. By this point I know exactly what kind of games I like and I have only been burned twice; farcry 2 and brothers in arms: hell's highway. Not bad considering I've bought a ton of games this gen.

My team of level 90-ish characters just got it wiped out by a GoreCyclops(take that back, it was the
giant cyclops
) on normal difficulty.

BitterBlack Isle is no joke

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Reviews could say this game is a pile of garbage and I'd still play it cause it's a breath of fresh air in terms of design.

Man, fuck you, UPS Guy. My place isn't that hard to find.

If you don't deliver it today, I hope the wind pushes you down some stairs.

So I'm looking at my friends' pawns. What happens if we have a large level gap? Are they downleveled, or will everything be ridiculously easy?

They remain at their level, so don't hire pawns way above your level.

When I hired pawns, I would get ones 5 levels above me and dump 'em after I was 5 levels above them.

Alucrid

Banned
Made my character, got through the intro, didn't like it, now to restart :|

My save was gone. Dunno if I deleted it before or something happened, but :(

RS4-

ugh, already have two quests cancelled lol. "Lost and Found" and "Floral Delivery." For those that did play DD, was Lost and Found important enough for me to restart the game? I'm level 15 at the moment.

~Kinggi~

Banned
How exactly does the expansion content integrate into the game if you are brand new to it? Is it part of the main story or a side quest?

Trigger

ugh, already have two quests cancelled lol. "Lost and Found" and "Floral Delivery." For those that did play DD, was Lost and Found important enough for me to restart the game? I'm level 15 at the moment.

IIRC Lost and Found is mildly important, but not worth a restart. You can just do it again on a NG+.

nikos

Man, fuck you, UPS Guy. My place isn't that hard to find.

If you don't deliver it today, I hope the wind pushes you down some stairs.

They remain at their level, so don't hire pawns way above your level.

When I hired pawns, I would get ones 5 levels above me and dump 'em after I was 5 levels above them.

Thanks! Most of my friends are way higher level than I am, but I found a few at the same level as me.

Pakkidis

Probably one of the biggest design oversights in the game is that certain quests can't be completed if you go to far in the story/ don't trigger certain events.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it to much, your probably going to miss a lot more unless you have a guide with you.

RS4-

Probably one of the biggest design oversights in the game is that certain quests can't be completed if you go to far in the story/ don't trigger certain events.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it to much, your probably going to miss a lot more unless you have a guide with you.

IIRC Lost and Found is mildly important, but not worth a restart. You can just do it again on a NG+.

Alright thanks, I'll just tackle it in NG+; I'll just go meet the Duke then.

How exactly does the expansion content integrate into the game if you are brand new to it? Is it part of the main story or a side quest?

I believe it appears after an early, mandatory event.

It's a sidequest, you don't have to go to the island, or even talk to the person that takes you there, if you don't want to.

xCobalt

One note for Dark Souls veterans: a big flaw of Dragon's Dogma is that it does not have 'quick equip' slots like Dark Souls. That means in order to switch weapons or use a curative, you have to open the menu by pausing the game.

The dpad is mapped to pawn commands, which are really not useful. The dpad would be much better used like in Dark Souls.

Just a tip if you didn't know. By using Help (left on dpad) outside of battle, mages will buff you. It's good to have your entire party enchanted before a boss battle.

Just a tip if you didn't know. By using Help (left on dpad) outside of battle, mages will buff you. It's good to have your entire party enchanted before a boss battle.
I never got that to work properly, especially when they have multiple buffs equipped and I need a specific one.

If nothing else, the game could have pawn commands as the default, and let the player hold right bumper/trigger to switch to 'fast equip' slots like Dark Souls.

The only pawn command I found "effective" was down on the dpad, which I used as FOLLOW ME WHILE I HAUL ASS AWAY FROM THIS BIGASS MONSTER THAT AMBUSHED US OUT OF THE DARK.

I haven't played Dark Arisen yet but usually you wouldn't need more than 1 buff on your pawns because it usually seems to confuse them. Usually light just the way to go in everfall but I don't know if that has changed for the new dungeon where different buffs would help.

Kyoufu

If you want the Hero trophy then you need to complete that quest (and others).

The guy on gamefaqs was full of shit. 2 hours? lol, I'm 4 in and I think I have a long way to go. Only seen 4 or 5 new monsters so far

Got an upgrade for one of my sword techniques. Sooooo good

Kolgar

I left off in Dragon's Dogma with my save at the start of a new game. Then booted up the new game tonight.

Have I lost my beloved Pawn?

Edit: Hmm. Cassie (my Pawn) is back. I was just hoping to get the bajillion Rift Crystals and other loot I figured she'd have collected for me over the past six months.

Oh wat, you lose a pawn if it dies?

If a hired pawn dies, it goes back to the Rift and must be hired again by entering the Rift. Any items they were carrying that were not equipped, automatically enter your storage.

If your pawn dies, just go touch the nearest Rift Stone and they'll pop back out with everything they had on them when they died.

I plan on starting a new character instead of importing my DD save do I still get goodies or only for an imported character?

Man I have that exploration music in my head from the original but won't get to play arisen till tomorrow

Card Boy

Banned
What are some tips for new player? Does it have a craft system similar to dark/demon souls?

I'm new myself and i believe it has a crafting system. It says so in the item description that you can 'combine this item' or something to that effect. I could be wrong but its similar to Monster Hunters crafting system from i've seen.

I just defeated a large troll and made my first pawn. It's an awful attempt at Ed from MGS4, while my main character is Meryl.
Needs broader shoulders for MGS4 Meryl! If you were going for that anyway.

I went for big muscle girl warrior with a petite femme boy mage pawn. The joys of character creation.

I don't understand why they had to compress the hell out of the screengrabs.

So, since I saw you post about it earlier, just to be sure the way to start a completely fresh game and still get the bonuses is to:

1) Import your save
2) Start a new game

And that's it, right?

Yep, so long as you import your vanilla data once you can restart as many times as you like and still get the bonuses.

I'm noticing something odd about hard mode. Hard mode was removed from the "new game" option and put onto the main menu. If you're currently running a hard mode save file and you want to start over, you have to start the tutorial on normal and then once you're in Cassardis quit to the title screen and select hard mode from the menu. Annoying. Why can't I select hard when I start a new game?

burgerdog

Wow, I've only been in the isle for 40 minutes and I have found 5-6 hidden rooms/chests. Make sure you explore everything, I'm loving this so much.

Card Boy

Banned
My only complaints about the game are technical. The game isn't HD, is letterboxed, has bad draw distance on objects, has bad framerate, bad AA, bad AF and has screen tearing. A PC version would fix all this.

Gameplay is fantastic.

xCobalt

What are some tips for new player? Does it have a craft system similar to dark/demon souls?

Always pick up monster parts and store them. You never know if you'll need them later on to upgrade some equipment.

DD does have a crafting system where you can combine consumables. They will usually create more effective items. If you're using arrows, you can combine branches with certain items to create Oil or Poison Arrows.

B-Dex

So I made it to Gran Soren and switched to warrior. Should I have gotten more skills from fighter first? I can always switch back I suppose.

Also I tried uploading some screens to the capcom site but it always errored out. (I'm on PS3 so I guess I can transfer the files to a USB and upload them myself)

Top Bottom