• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

burgerdog

If a hired pawn dies, it goes back to the Rift and must be hired again by entering the Rift. Any items they were carrying that were not equipped, automatically enter your storage.

If your pawn dies, just go touch the nearest Rift Stone and they'll pop back out with everything they had on them when they died.

You have to re-recruit it. The easiest way is to add it to your favorites, go into the Rift, and search by Favorites.

It's the first time I've had hired pawns die(thanks, death) so I was surprised to see them gone. Wouldn't the pawns be a different level if I have to re-hire them? The one that I lost went from 70 to 80 :(

Raptomex

Anyone attempt to install both disks on the 360 and encounter a problem? I installed the expansion disk no problem but the other would just spin and not install. The game plays fine but I'm wondering if I'm even able to install it.

I've only seen one mediocre review, and it's from Polygon (personally I completely disagree with their reviews often). Even then, their score doesn't quite match the score they gave it.

http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox360/684235-dragons-dogma-dark-arisen/articles.html

The polygon review is a little misleading though because they only reviewed the new content, not the package as a whole like the other reviews have. So i guess its a good review to look at if you've already played vanilla.

jackal27

Banned
Ok, I'm really wanting to play this. I love pretty much all types of RPGs, I love Japanese games, I love Dark Souls, I love dark fantasy (and fantasy in general), but I really couldn't get into Skyrim/Fallout 3/etc. very much. I play for a quarter of the game and get bored as evitonments, enemies, and things get repetitive. Open world games in general always seem to get way too repetitive to me. I'm not great at making my own fun.

Should I get this?

Slygmous

Anyone attempt to install both disks on the 360 and encounter a problem? I installed the expansion disk no problem but the other would just spin and not install. The game plays fine but I'm wondering if I'm even able to install it.
Does it sit at 0% when installing?
I had that issue with another game, I had to disconnect from the internet to get it to work.

It's the first time I've had hired pawns die(thanks, death) so I was surprised to see them gone. Wouldn't the pawns be a different level if I have to re-hire them? The one that I lost went from 70 to 80 :(
huh? Hired pawns don't gain levels. They'll be exactly the same if you rehire them, though it may cost you rift crystals

Card Boy

Banned

Mine was spinning in the disk tray for 2 minutes before it allowed me to install and choose a hard disk location, first time this has ever happened on my Slim 360. Normally it's straight away for other games. There wasn't any damage to the disk though.

BadWolf

Ok, I'm really wanting to play this. I love pretty much all types of RPGs, I love Japanese games, I love Dark Souls, I love dark fantasy (and fantasy in general), but I really couldn't get into Skyrim/Fallout 3/etc. very much. I play for a quarter of the game and get bored as evitonments, enemies, and things get repetitive. Open world games in general always seem to get way too repetitive to me. I'm not great at making my own fun.

Should I get this?

Try the demos.

Raptomex

Does it sit at 0% when installing?
I had that issue with another game, I had to disconnect from the internet to get it to work.
It didn't show a percentage it just sat at the install bar. I didn't try disconnecting.
Mine was spinning in the disk tray for 2 minutes before it allowed me to install and choose a hard disk location, first time this has ever happened on my Slim 360. Normally it's straight away for other games. There wasn't any damage to the disk though.
I didn't wait that long. Does it play okay?

Meicyn

Gold Member
Is the PS3 performance any better?
The digital-only version certainly is. I did my first 100% playthrough on Xbox 360, and going to vanilla Dragon's Dogma on PS3 was painful. It wasn't just a reduced framerate that was a problem; there was a lot of noticeable stuttering due to the PS3 trying to read data from the Blu-Ray disc. At times, the audio would just cut out entirely for half a second or so.

The digital version of Dark Arisen on the other hand, has eliminated the stuttering problem for me, likely because the Blu-Ray drive has been eliminated from the equation. I don't know if the disc version would lead to the same improved experience, but I'm just glad to have that awful stuttering and audio glitching go away forever.

jackal27

Banned
Try the demos.

I did try the demo when DD vanilla came out and really enjoyed the art direction and combat. Not to mention I found myself enjoying playing an archer which has never happened before. Still, the open world aspect makes me nervous to dive in.

~Kinggi~

Banned

Wow, just tried my copy, same thing. Hasnt let me install yet though. Fucking bad presses is what this is.

burgerdog

huh? Hired pawns don't gain levels. They'll be exactly the same if you rehire them, though it may cost you rift crystals

Don't know what to tell you, pawn died, I went to rehire it and it was 10 levels higher, I think it updated to its up to date level. Owner must be leveling up in the isle~

~Kinggi~

Banned
Alright mine just let me install. I wonder if its larger size than usual and it needs to do a more intensive file allocation beforehand.

The digital-only version certainly is. I did my first 100% playthrough on Xbox 360, and going to vanilla Dragon's Dogma on PS3 was painful. It wasn't just a reduced framerate that was a problem; there was a lot of noticeable stuttering due to the PS3 trying to read data from the Blu-Ray disc. At times, the audio would just cut out entirely for half a second or so.

The digital version of Dark Arisen on the other hand, has eliminated the stuttering problem for me, likely because the Blu-Ray drive has been eliminated from the equation. I don't know if the disc version would lead to the same improved experience, but I'm just glad to have that awful stuttering and audio glitching go away forever.

Excellent news.

I had similar gripes with data-fetching via the blu-ray drive in the vanilla version. Glad to see it's been cleared up in the digital release. Thanks for the info.

Jobbs

Banned

I ordered the game from Amazon, and damn if I don't want to wait another day for it to arrive. I shoulda just done THIS. :(

I played DD a gazillion hours last year, and I can't wait to start fresh on this game (I switched from 360 to PS3 so I have no save).

Which reminds me, is there anything different about the experience playing the old areas and low/mid levels? Any new items available in this range? Or am I going to see nothing new until high level?

njean777

Are mages viable in this game? I thought about going assassin, but I never play mages and wanted to change it up and try something new. Coming from dark souls playing a dex character I wanna try some magic.

pixlexic

Banned
Are mages viable in this game? I thought about going assassin, but I never play mages and wanted to change it up and try something new. Coming from dark souls playing a dex character I wanna try some magic.

you get a mage a high enough level and you can kill everything pretty easily. Except those stone elemental giants.

Jobbs

Banned

Honestly, everything's viable, and mages in particular will explode your asshole. In my time with DD last year I remember casters being the easiest types of pawns to drop into your party and benefit tremendously. Sometimes rogue types wouldn't seem to utilize their skills often enough and be somewhat unpredictable, whereas casters make things boom.

Starting fresh on PS3 since I never really got to put any time into Vanilla cause my 360 broke. Feels good man. 2 Striders + 2 Mages to start the adventure. Reckless violence with magic flying everywhere.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Don't know what to tell you, pawn died, I went to rehire it and it was 10 levels higher, I think it updated to its up to date level. Owner must be leveling up in the isle~

If it was another player's pawn (rather than an offline version game-generated pawn), then yeah, going back to the Rift and rehiring that pawn will fetch the newest 'version' of that pawn uploaded by his/her user.

Pawns upoaded to the Rift are essentially snapshots of their states when the user last rested at an inn. The snapshot or copy that you hire will never get updated so long as you keep him/her in your party. If the pawn dies or gets dismissed, then next time you pull him or her from the Rift, the copy you get will reflect all of the progress that pawn's user secured up to his or her lass Rift world sync (inn stay).

Ok, I'm really wanting to play this. I love pretty much all types of RPGs, I love Japanese games, I love Dark Souls, I love dark fantasy (and fantasy in general), but I really couldn't get into Skyrim/Fallout 3/etc. very much. I play for a quarter of the game and get bored as evironments, enemies, and things get repetitive. Open world games in general always seem to get way too repetitive to me. I'm not great at making my own fun.

Should I get this?

Yeah in that respect Im not sure i could recommend it if you didnt like skyrim, fallout etc. DD is still very much an open world game. Combat is more fleshed out in this game but it's still repetitive which isnt such a problem for me. Its more action based/gameplay orientated than what you see from bethesda but a less detailed world than those.

nikos

Just got to Gran Soren and bought new skills before realizing I could have changed my vocation.

Should I have purchased armor/weapons yet? If so, what should take priority? Should I try to fully upgrade myself before worrying about my companion?

dubq

I really wish the Pawn Community thing was integrated into the game. Hate using the awkward browser that takes 50 attempts to save your Twitter login auth. :(

Tan

Any status on the XBOX 360 framerate status? I heard some bad things about the first one? And I don't have a PS3 :(

Jobbs

Banned
questions 3.

1) (playstation 3) can anyone confirm if the digital purchase version of this game runs faster/less stuttering than the physical version?

2) are there any differences in itemization in regards to the old world that existed before the added areas

3) butt poop!

Pakkidis

Just got to Gran Soren and bought new skills before realizing I could have changed my vocation.

Should I have purchased armor/weapons yet? If so, what should take priority? Should I try to fully upgrade myself before worrying about my companion?

I wouldn't worry too much about armor/weapons now. You will find some on your travels. Money becomes a non issue later on in the game so you can buy to your hearts content.

Upgrade yourself first, then your main pawn.

Mejilan

Any status on the XBOX 360 framerate status? I heard some bad things about the first one? And I don't have a PS3 :(

Generally, the 360 version runs better (actually, less bad) then the PS3 game.
But it lacks the PS3's v-sync.

Ultimately it comes down to what bothers you more. More dropped frames or screen tearing. It's purely subjective.

Do note that both versions drop frames. The 360 version drops quite a few less, though.

nikos

I wouldn't worry too much about armor/weapons now. You will find some on your travels. Money becomes a non issue later on in the game so you can buy to your hearts content.

Upgrade yourself first, then your main pawn.

Thanks! Wasn't sure how far to go without upgrades.

Generally, the 360 version runs better (actually, less bad) then the PS3 game.
But it lacks the PS3's v-sync.

Ultimately it comes down to what bothers you more. More dropped frames or screen tearing. It's purely subjective.

Do note that both versions drop frames. The 360 version drops quite a few less, though.

Is that just the info on the original DD (if so, has nothing changed)? Or Dark Arisen?

JJD

Guys the 11.5GB size of the download for the digital version of Dark Arisen for the PS3 includes the vanilla game right?

Mejilan

Not much has changed for DA.
Menus are snappier, which helps.
Going digital download only probably helps too; but from what I've read, not much was optimized under the hood.

Moofers

Well, Cacpcom really spared no expense the the instruction manual, eh? Bummer, but oh well. Looking forward to getting started with this. Never finished the original. Got to the point with the bottomless pit, so I wonder if that's right where I'll pick up again?

Okay, anyone else playing on hard want to confirm something for me?

1.) My stamina usage is a lot less restrictive in DA hard than it was in DD hard

2.) Enemies aren't hitting as hard

3.) Money drops from enemies feel significantly reduced - no more giant gold bags every third enemy you kill

These changes would be especially noticeable if you started fresh from lv.1 like I did. Casting 3 Ingles should take up most of my stamina, but now I'm able to cast 4-5 before I need to stop. Goblins can still kill me in one shot with their power attack, but their light attacks are doing significantly less damage. I can take 4 of them before I die as opposed to a couple in the vanilla game.

What's going on? Did they nerf hard mode? No way I'm just imagining this.

Should I hire high lvl pawns? Or should I hire ones in my lvl range?

Be careful not to hire pawns that are too much higher. It'll make fights too easy. You could still die, yes, just it zaps fun out. Try to keep them in your level or a few levels higher if you have some on your friends list!

Xander51

I picked up a cheap copy of the vanilla game in part just to unlock the bonuses in this, and I was pleased to see it doesn't obliterate the original save data on import, so I could go back to vanilla if I need some of that glorious Dangan action, or those slower menus and different monster spawns. This is on PS3 by the way.

I played about 6 hours of this on 360 last year then swore I'd go back one day and never did until this week. Pretty stoked to finally dig into this.

Top Bottom