• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

LOL. Took to almost 9 o'clock for my copy to arrive.

1dJmtpg.jpg

It's beautiful :D

Mentallyerect

Neo Member
I've been itching to pick this up. I had Vanilla DD and beat it last year. Loved everything about it but it KILLED me that the world wasn't bigger. That was the only flaw I had in the game. I LOVED the feeling of exploration and just wish there was more to see. This game with the scale of Skyrim would literally own my life. I really hope there is a sequal in store with a much larger world.

All in all though, I think I might take the plunge and pick up Dark Arisen. The atmosphere that game provides just draws you in.

Quoting for a new page:

Okay, anyone else playing on hard want to confirm something for me?

1.) My stamina usage is a lot less restrictive in DA hard than it was in DD hard

2.) Enemies aren't hitting as hard

3.) Money drops from enemies feel significantly reduced - no more giant gold bags every third enemy you kill

These changes would be especially noticeable if you started fresh from lv.1 like I did. Casting 3 Ingles should take up most of my stamina, but now I'm able to cast 4-5 before I need to stop. Goblins can still kill me in one shot with their power attack, but their light attacks are doing significantly less damage. I can take 4 of them before I die as opposed to a couple in the vanilla game.

What's going on? Did they nerf hard mode? No way I'm just imagining this.

Astra

I picked mine up today. Did a straight trade for ZombiU at EBgames. Great deal for me.
Started on hard mode, and it imported my level, weapons, gold and skills. Started at level 32 and the enemies do hit pretty hard, but otherwise it hasn't been very difficult.

^ I can't comment on the other points, as I didn't get a chance to play DD on hard with the vanilla game, but I am getting a lot of large pouches of gold from wolves.

Grisby

I forgot how bad ass it is to face a dragon. The way they talk to you is f'ing creepy.

Also, how cool is it to spot one of those hefty bags of gold. Feels like an item from the old arcade days. "Yes, I will take 3,000 in gold."

Arklite

1.) My stamina usage is a lot less restrictive in DA hard than it was in DD hard

2.) Enemies aren't hitting as hard

3.) Money drops from enemies feel significantly reduced - no more giant gold bags every third enemy you kill

Playing with 120+ char so I'm not sure on 1 and 2, but in terms of point 3, enemies are still dropping large bags of gold. Only played for 30 mins so far, though.

dubq

So you buy DLC inside the game now from the Bitterblack lady? I only see the DLC in there and not on the actual PSN store.

Eusis

The digital-only version certainly is. I did my first 100% playthrough on Xbox 360, and going to vanilla Dragon's Dogma on PS3 was painful. It wasn't just a reduced framerate that was a problem; there was a lot of noticeable stuttering due to the PS3 trying to read data from the Blu-Ray disc. At times, the audio would just cut out entirely for half a second or so.

The digital version of Dark Arisen on the other hand, has eliminated the stuttering problem for me, likely because the Blu-Ray drive has been eliminated from the equation. I don't know if the disc version would lead to the same improved experience, but I'm just glad to have that awful stuttering and audio glitching go away forever.
I seem to have less audio stuttering on the disc now (had it happen ONCE so far), but that usually was minimized after it was done installing in the background. Dunno if Dark Arisen puts more data in, but it does seem to borrow the DD install file if there. There's no option to force a full (or at least bigger) install like they added to MGS4 though.

Some crazy moments so far...

Monster spoilers for Bitterblack Isle!
Had a really strong ogre charge me on a bridge (think he had 6-8 health bars?), he missed and fell to his death. Instant 38k experience!

The minotuars are TOUGH. Only 4 health bars but their defense is insane. I keep hitting him with dragon maw, wasn't doing a ton of damage until my pawn buffed me with lightning.

Just fought an undead dragon, they have a ton of health but if you're good at fighting normal drakes, you'll be fine.

There was an arena that had 3 Chimeras, was a lot tougher than I thought fighting all at once. They kept healing each other and the battle turned hectic once my pawns started dropping

This is a very meaty edition to vanilla DD. I played over 5 hours today and I'm just now seeing a lot of the new monsters from previews and getting new weapons/augments.

njean777

Is the frame rate in this version improved over the original?

Maybe it is not bothering me or I am crazy, but the ps3 FPS seems a bit improved. It also looks better as well form what I remember of the original DD.

I seem to have less audio stuttering on the disc, but that usually was minimized after it was done installing in the background. Dunno if Dark Arisen puts more data in, but it does seem to borrow the DD install file if there. There's no option to force a full (or at least bigger) install like they added to MGS4 though.

So that was what all the noise was from the drive, I was playing and it was reading the disc like crazy. Although it seems to have stopped now.

So it downloaded and started to install but when it got to 80% it is now giving me 1% every 30 mins....balls

Welp, looks like I'm not playing DD today >_>

xCobalt

So you buy DLC inside the game now from the Bitterblack lady? I only see the DLC in there and not on the actual PSN store.

The DLC from the original dragon's dogma is already in-game. They are spread across all the notice boards as well as the Black Cat's shop.

dubq

The DLC from the original dragon's dogma is already in-game. They are spread across all the notice boards as well as the Black Cat's shop.
I meant the new stuff specifically for DA. There are a bunch of new rift packs as well as a new appearance dlc. They only seem to be purchasasble through Orna using her "online store" option.

Eusis

So that was what all the noise was from the drive, I was playing and it was reading the disc like crazy. Although it seems to have stopped now.
Yeah, it's actually one of the neatest things about Dragon's Dogma PS3 versus other games, while it'd be sorta nice if it were optional if I need to do an install it's nice to have the game just do it while I'm playing, rather than taking 5-30 minutes before starting for the first time. And yeah, my first time with DD had obscene amounts of stutter, but it largely went away once it was done installing (or so it seemed, I might've just gotten used to it.)

nikos

Not sure if I'm liking Strider. I have no protection when up close and using my daggers and have to rely on healing. Also, my aim isn't too great with controllers, so I'm not the greatest archer.

Might have to switch it up to a pure melee vocation, but I do like being able to attack from a distance. Any suggestions? Mystic Knight? I was originally going to go with Assassin.

I wish you could make as many pawns as you want. Even limit your party to just one main pawn, just let me create several different pawns I can use for that "main" slot in my party.

Kyoufu

Not sure if I'm liking Strider. I have no protection when up close and using my daggers and have to rely on healing. Also, my aim isn't too great with controllers, so I'm not the greatest archer.

Might have to switch it up to a pure melee vocation, but I do like being able to attack from a distance. Any suggestions? Mystic Knight? I was originally going to go with Assassin.

You can try shield + daggers Assassin, Mystic Knight or Light Attack spamming Sorcerer. Plenty of options. Also Magick Archer attacks lock on targets easily.

nikos

You can try shield + daggers Assassin, Mystic Knight or Light Attack spamming Sorcerer. Plenty of options. Also Magick Archer attacks lock on targets easily.

This game is too good. I've never had so much trouble deciding on a class. Think I'm going to watch some videos of each to see which appeals to me the most.

Arklite

Strider gets a dodge and double jump, so you have options to evade attacks and dive back in for damage. Same with Assassin.

Magick Knight is great if you really want a shield since it has awesome counter attacks with shield buffs. You can also buff yourself/party with elemental weapon enhancements.

ironcreed

Banned
Damn, Bitterblack Isle is pretty diabolical once you go through the door that requires the void key. You kill enough of certain enemies, then the world gets pissed and spawns harder enemies that can one shot you left and right. Even during boss-type encounters before you slay the foe you were already fighting. The music and atmosphere make it incredibly tense as well. Like, I feel threatened in a big way.

On another note, how in the hell could anyone finish this in two hours? There are secrets, loot, paths and rooms everywhere, many of which I will not be able to enter until later. I have been playing over 4 hours and am still at the start of the area after you use the void key, which is early into it. There is a quite a chunk here indeed.

Eusis

Experience gains scale to a party's average level. If you hire two uber-pawns to support your feeble pair, be prepared for VERY slow leveling.
Probably why it's best to just grab randoms than your friends uber-pawns. I did that initially, but just for the sake of a more even challenge went to roughly my level.

Hmm it's nice to hear that you guys have already spent a few hours and there's more to go. I didn't pick up the game yet, I was thinking about it once the weekend hits depending on my finances. Are you guys playing on hard mode or just normal? I'm really interested since it seems that the new monsters are able to put up a challenge even for imported characters.

Based my new Arisen on myself and my pawn on my wife. Anyone in the market for a low-level strider, my PSN is Deified_Data.

DragonsDogma_DarkArisenScreenshot_zps5497ea2a.jpg

Okay, so I confirmed that stamina usage was definitely lowered in DA's hard mode. I've found a few giant money bags, but they're noticeably more rare.

Okay, so I confirmed that stamina usage was definitely lowered in DA's hard mode. I've found a few giant money bags, but they're noticeably more rare.

i think it was a good decision to lower stamina usage a bit. it made the game slightly less fun on hard. they should make up for it somewhere else. maybe BI is better balanced for hard mode? they had enough time to wove it in.

nataku

Finally got that 1.01 update done. No idea what the issue was with downloading it.

Now I just need to decide if I want actually finish the post game, or just start a new game. I never did beat the post game in DD because of other games I started playing, plus dealing with some really bad image retention on my plasma from so much DD.

i think it was a good decision to lower stamina usage a bit. it made the game slightly less fun on hard. they should make up for it somewhere else. maybe BI is better balanced for hard mode? they had enough time to wove it in.

I agree that it made combat a bit more restrictive. Over time I think the rebalanced hard mode will work out alright, but I'll miss raking in the 10,000g for every enemy I kill.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Boycotting Capcom for over a year worked out just fine. The one game I actually wanted from them, got an upgraded release for a cheaper price. Matter of fact I did a straight up Trade 1 at Futureshop using Battlefield 3: Premium Edition (kept the DLC code for myself)

Top Bottom