• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Glad to know that going to level 60 instead of stopping at 50 like I originally planned isn't going to make Bitterblack too easy.

Okay, so I confirmed that stamina usage was definitely lowered in DA's hard mode. I've found a few giant money bags, but they're noticeably more rare.

I think I'm okay with this. The gold drops and stamina increase were a bit excessive in hard mode.

dubq

LOL I saw her earlier when I first went to the pawn thing.
Haha, awesome! :D

BIluZC3CAAA_9LO.jpg

On another note, how in the hell could anyone finish this in two hours? There are secrets, loot, paths and rooms everywhere, many of which I will not be able to enter until later. I have been playing over 4 hours and am still at the start of the area after you use the void key, which is early into it. There is a quite a chunk here indeed.
If you're a game journo playing on a debug unit using god mode.

Skilletor

I feel dirty for having this teleporting stone with infinite uses.

/me leaves that in the box until I've explored all of the map.

I'm sure I'll get tired of running around eventually, but right now a huge part of the fun is leaving Gran Soren and not knowing what I'll run into or if I'm prepared for it.

Meicyn

Gold Member
For anyone interested, my pawn is in the level 40s, bouncing between warrior and fighter until I get all the augments I want (needed leg-strength from capping strider first). He's equipped pretty adequately and has utilitarian/scather for inclinations. Just send me a friend request to Meicyn on PSN and you can rent him for free after I add you in the morning. Sleep calls.

ironcreed

Banned
I pissed off a gargantuan armored cyclops.

Now I'm scared to come down from the catwalks.

Bastard is lethal, as are many other things that have surprised me so far. Sure, there are still some trash mobs for balance, but god damn there are other enemies that will lay you to waste in one blow. I hate to see what awaits deeper in. This area is no joke.

RS4-

I think I'll start over again. I don't even remember how to teleport between areas or something. Or get my pawn dude to do the whole online thing, or recruit other pawns from users.

Bastard is lethal, as are many other things that have surprised me so far. Sure, there are still some trash mobs for balance, but god damn there are other enemies that will lay you to waste in one blow. I hate to see what awaits deeper in. This area is no joke.
I stayed up in the catwalks shooting arrows at it for so long my lantern went out.

Killed it though. :D

ixix

People are saying that the Ur is the same between vanilla Dragon's Dogma and Dark Arisen. So people can still farm it with vanilla Bloodlust/Autonomy Assassins and that'll be reflected in Dark Arisen.

Apparently pawns are also persistent between the versions, but if someone sends you an item from a different version it turns into a rock or you get a message that their data is invalid.

Jobbs

Banned
Last time I played this game, about a year ago, on 360 -- I remember lamenting a bit not optimizing my stats by leveling up as the classes that gave the stats I want.

Now, I'm starting over, since I got rid of my 360 and I'm all PS3 now. But I can't remember what it is that I wanted to do with my stat level ups. :)

LegendX48

I'm thinking of picking this up after I get paid later this week. Any difference between the digital/physical versions or is it pretty much the same?

People are saying that the Ur is the same between vanilla Dragon's Dogma and Dark Arisen. So people can still farm it with vanilla Bloodlust/Autonomy Assassins and that'll be reflected in Dark Arisen.

Apparently pawns are also persistent between the versions, but if someone sends you an item from a different version it turns into a rock or you get a message that their data is invalid.

Invalid, huh? That's probably why all the people who rented my Pawn's data came up as "Invalid Data"

Motherfucker. I loaded in my old save, loaded it up and confirmed that I got the bonuses. Then I started a new game, lo and behold, no outfits or infinite ferrystone. You really do have to go make a brand new game in vanilla Dogma and then import it.

ixix

Invalid, huh? That's probably why all the people who rented my Pawn's data came up as "Invalid Data"

I've been tooling around in the base game waiting for DA to arrive and I actually just slept at the inn and got an Invalid Data rental. Guess my pawn has played Dark Arisen before I have.

I've been noticing when I go into the rift that there are quite a few pawns walking around who aren't fully equipped, like missing weapons and stuff. I wonder if they're equipped with Dark Arisen gear that just vanishes if you hire them into vanilla.

Motherfucker. I loaded in my old save, loaded it up and confirmed that I got the bonuses. Then I started a new game, lo and behold, no outfits or infinite ferrystone. You really do have to go make a brand new game in vanilla Dogma and then import it.

So to get the import bonuses in Dark Arisen from a fresh start it's necessary to create the character in the base game then import into Dark Arisen every time you want to start a new character?

That's pretty silly, but oh well. I was planning on holding on to the base game anyway.

Fou-Lu

Loving the game so far, think I need better equipment though, everything is killing me. Or maybe that's supposed to happen. Mostly saurians and skeletons.

nikos

So here's my current plan.

Strider 1-10 (15 in my case because I hadn't figured this out before).
Assassin 15-40ish while learning Sword/Shield skills.
40ish+ Mystic Knight.

Does this make sense?

I haven't even seen Bitterblack Isle. Just did a fresh start thing with starting over in DD and importing the save to DA. I started in Hard Mode and was surprised at how often I died. About 3 times in the prologue and then a few on the first cyclops. I haven't died much since then but Gransys is certainly a lot more dangerous on Hard Mode. I just made it to Gran Soren... gonna stop there for today.

I haven't even seen the new content but I'm already loving what I've played so far. It's good to be back in the Dragon's Dogma world after so long!

Fou-Lu

Still have no idea where I am going with my vocations, started with Strider, can't choose whether to go Assassin, Ranger or Magick Archer next.

Jharp

Have they fixed any of the graphical issues with the game? Namely the letterbox bullshit. I didn't see it in the changes list, but those were all gameplay changes.

Those bullshots kinds of piss me off, because the 360/PS3 game does not look anywhere NEAR as good as those, and there ain't no goddamn PC version.

I still played 40 hours of DD and finished the main quest and a huge chunk of side content, but damned if I wouldn't kill for the game to just look half way decent. What an utterly hideous game to look at. PS3 version, btw.

broham

Just when I think I might be over leveled for the new content, here comes an elder ogre to drop kick me into next week like it's fucking wrestlemania. Starting to get that fight tooth and nail feeling I got the first time I went through post game everfall. Really enjoying it.

ixix

Last time I played this game, about a year ago, on 360 -- I remember lamenting a bit not optimizing my stats by leveling up as the classes that gave the stats I want.

Now, I'm starting over, since I got rid of my 360 and I'm all PS3 now. But I can't remember what it is that I wanted to do with my stat level ups. :)

If you want to min-max there are a few simple builds for maxing various stats:

Max physical attack power: Fighter 1-10, Assassin 11-200
Max physical attack power (for pawns): Fighter 1-10, Warrior 11-99, Warrior or Ranger 100-200
Max magickal attack power: Mage 1-10, Sorcerer 11-200
Max HP: Fighter 1-10, Warrior 11-99, Fighter or Mystic Knight 100-200

For the max HP build obviously Mystic Knight is only for min-maxing your Arisen; Pawns have to use the Fighter path from 100 on. Both Fighter and Mystic Knight gain 15 HP per level, so which one you choose doesn't change the final HP total. Mystic Knights continue to gain magickal attack and defense post-100, Fighters don't.

The Assassin build ends up with significantly higher physical attack power than the Fighter -> Warrior -> Warrior/Ranger build, so don't use the pawn build for your Arisen. It's got more variety in the classes you use, but it's statistically worse.

This is all assuming that stat growths haven't been changed in Dark Arisen, of course. If they have, then obviously these builds need to be reworked.

So here's my current plan.

Strider 1-10 (15 in my case because I hadn't figured this out before).
Assassin 15-40ish while learning Sword/Shield skills.
40ish+ Mystic Knight.

Does this make sense?

That'll work fine. There's not really any bad build short of, like, taking nothing but Sorcerer levels then switching to Warrior at level 200. Unless you set out to actively screw yourself over the chances of actually screwing yourself over are virtually nonexistent.

Eusis

I poked into the new content briefly to make the game shut up about it, and went far enough to see Death THEN RUN LIKE HELL OUT OF THERE. Man, he even popped through a wall when I was going the wrong direction.

And the frame rate DOES seem to dip less, but like said we'd need DF to analyze it. At any rate it's not a day and night switch, either it's not that big of an improvement, or the game was reliably enough 30 FPS that having the bad spots ironed out doesn't stick out too much, especially since it didn't do Dark Souls-esque FPS halving.

So to get the import bonuses in Dark Arisen from a fresh start it's necessary to create the character in the base game then import into Dark Arisen every time you want to start a new character?

That's pretty silly, but oh well. I was planning on holding on to the base game anyway.

I deleted my DA files and tried again. So here's the deal. Whichever you do FIRST, either load your game or start a new one, is the one that gets the bonuses. So when you get Dark Arisen and you get the popup on the title screen that says your stuff carried over, if you want to start a new game, immediately start a new one, don't load your old one.

Waited until this came out to play Dragon's Dogma, and having not gotten to the point where things can get annoying yet, it's basically everything I've been craving from a Western-style RPG for a long, long time. I'm pretty stoked.

Anteater

I just think it's amazing the picture taking is much easier now. It was so crap in Vanilla.

Taking pictures didn't even make sense in vanilla, when you take a picture and post it on twitter, it would list your pawn stats, so obviously the function was there for the player to take pictures of the pawn, but your camera is on your character all the time, lol.

Waited until this came out to play Dragon's Dogma, and having not gotten to the point where things can get annoying yet, it's basically everything I've been craving from a Western-style RPG for a long, long time. I'm pretty stoked.

It's the closest thing we've had to a D&D-esque game in quite some time.

nikos

If you want to min-max there are a few simple builds for maxing various stats:

Max physical attack power: Fighter 1-10, Assassin 11-200
Max physical attack power (for pawns): Fighter 1-10, Warrior 11-99, Warrior or Ranger 100-200
Max magickal attack power: Mage 1-10, Sorcerer 11-200
Max HP: Fighter 1-10, Warrior 11-99, Fighter or Mystic Knight 100-200

For the max HP build obviously Mystic Knight is only for min-maxing your Arisen; Pawns have to use the Fighter path from 100 on. Both Fighter and Mystic Knight gain 15 HP per level, so which one you choose doesn't change the final HP total. Mystic Knights continue to gain magickal attack and defense post-100, Fighters don't.

The Assassin build ends up with significantly higher physical attack power than the Fighter -> Warrior -> Warrior/Ranger build, so don't use the pawn build for your Arisen. It's got more variety in the classes you use, but it's statistically worse.

This is all assuming that stat growths haven't been changed in Dark Arisen, of course. If they have, then obviously these builds need to be reworked.

That'll work fine. There's not really any bad build short of, like, taking nothing but Sorcerer levels then switching to Warrior at level 200. Unless you set out to actively screw yourself over the chances of actually screwing yourself over are virtually nonexistent.

Thanks! Just to make sure I'm understanding, I should be using Sword/Shield combo while leveling Assassin, right? Otherwise it would be somewhat pointless as a precursor to Mystic Knight?

nikos

Just YOLO'd some Lion/Snake/(something else) thing and ended up taking it down. This game is so good. Only thing I wish it had was real multiplayer.

EDIT: Just ran away from a cyclops because a pawn said it was too strong and failed a mission. :/

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Just YOLO'd some Lion/Snake/(something else) thing and ended up taking it down. This game is so good. Only thing I wish it had was real multiplayer.

EDIT: Just ran away from a cyclops because a pawn said it was too strong and failed a mission. :/
If you have a mage with lightning spells, cyclops isn't hard at all.

nikos

If you have a mage with lightning spells, cyclops isn't hard at all.

I should've YOLO'd it :(

Ran into some bandits that attacked me. Now I'm in their area, spoke to one and she said "You haven't left yet?"

It's getting dark, and I'm scared. Hold me bros.

Jobbs

Banned
I should've YOLO'd it :(

Ran into some bandits that attacked me. Now I'm in their area, spoke to one and she said "You haven't left yet?"

It's getting dark, and I'm scared. Hold me bros.

the thrill of getting caught farrrrrrrr from home with the sun going away was fuckin epic in this game, especially earlier on before you get super powerful

Any point in going Assassin->Ranger besides strength growth?

quite different classes... assassin has emphasis on melee and gets sword skills and stuff, ranger gets more bow powers and can use long bows. In general I think strider and assassin and ranger are all very fun classes to have on your player, because of the mix of bow and melee, you're always effective.

Top Bottom