• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

GorillaJu

Ugh. I am infuriated by this: apparently since my DD was a Japanese copy I picked up at the store, and my DA is downloaded from the US PSN store, I can't transfer my save file. Holy fucking hell, I am not going to start a new character from scratch.

GorillaJu

This is insane, I've seriously been installing this game for 3 hours. It's @ 90% right now.

Happened to me too. I turned off the ps3 despite the warning, deleted the corrupted data from the unfinished installation, disabled Media Servers (this is apparently the culprit), and then installed again and it worked a treat the second time.

Any way to change my characters looks?

I made my guy too fat and ugly.

Yes. Costs RC.

GorillaJu

^ there's also an item you can use to do it infinite times. I can't recall where you get it. It adds a "edit character" option to the main menu permanently.

Happened to me too. I turned off the ps3 despite the warning, deleted the corrupted data from the unfinished installation, disabled Media Servers (this is apparently the culprit), and then installed again and it worked a treat the second time.

Yes. Costs RC.

Was the install file still on your drive after you did that, or did you have to download again?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Thanks! Just to make sure I'm understanding, I should be using Sword/Shield combo while leveling Assassin, right? Otherwise it would be somewhat pointless as a precursor to Mystic Knight?

There's no overlap in sword skills between Assassin and Mystic Knight, save those that both share with the Fighter. Mystic Knights also use mystic shields, which are a completely different equipment class from the regular shields that the Fighter and Assassin use. The discipline points you earn carry over between classes, so you can use discipline you earn as an Assassin for Mystic Knight skills.

Short answer is that it doesn't matter what equipment you use as an Assassin; you'll be earning discipline no matter what, and that carries over between class changes.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Are you guys talking about installing the digital version? Because I don't see any install options on the disc version which is odd since I expected that to be kind of a major thing.

edit - Oh I see it's a ghost install

Is 5000RC a lot?

Well not if you have had your pawn around for a while ( remember coming back from month of not playing and getting a couple hundred thousand). But if you are starting fresh it might take some luck since you might need a bunch of people hire your fresh pawn. Have people on gaf hire your pawn. You can gain RC pretty fast if you have your friends just take your pawn out.

This may have already been posted (i'm in a rush so i apologize if it has) but EBGames in Canada has a promotion at the moment where if you trade in 1 game worth $15 or more, you can get this for free.

I popped into a store earlier and the fellow told me about it. Seems pretty great and didn't seem to be promoted well, so i thought i'd mention it here!

Bad news, guys!

I was wrong before. I said that if you upload your vanilla data once you'd be able to restart as many times as you like after that and still receive the bonus for importing, but that is apparently not the case. Either the game has a maximum amount of times you can restart after importing your data or I encountered a glitch, because after fiddling with the difficulty and restarting for a third time tonight I did not receive any of the bonuses - no outfits, no RC, and most importantly, no infinite ferrystone.

Not quite sure what to do now. If I restart again maybe I'll get my bonuses back. If not, perhaps if I popped vanilla DD back in and started a new game and imported that I'd be good to go, but that sounds like a pain in the ass.

nikos

There's no overlap in sword skills between Assassin and Mystic Knight, save those that both share with the Fighter. Mystic Knights also use mystic shields, which are a completely different equipment class from the regular shields that the Fighter and Assassin use. The discipline points you earn carry over between classes, so you can use discipline you earn as an Assassin for Mystic Knight skills.

Short answer is that it doesn't matter what equipment you use as an Assassin; you'll be earning discipline no matter what, and that carries over between class changes.

Awesome, thanks for clarifying!

GorillaJu

Bad news, guys!

I was wrong before. I said that if you upload your vanilla data once you'd be able to restart as many times as you like after that and still receive the bonus for importing, but that is apparently not the case. Either the game has a maximum amount of times you can restart after importing your data or I encountered a glitch, because after fiddling with the difficulty and restarting for a third time tonight I did not receive any of the bonuses - no outfits, no RC, and most importantly, no infinite ferrystone.

Not quite sure what to do now. If I restart again maybe I'll get my bonuses back. If not, perhaps if I popped vanilla DD back in and started a new game and imported that I'd be good to go, but that sounds like a pain in the ass.

How do you upload your save for import?

Bad news, guys!

I ran into a similar issue, where I loaded my game first then started a new game, and didn't get the bonuses. I deleted my Dark Arisen saves, and then it redetected the old saves and gave me the bonus when I started a new game. It seems to only apply the very first time, whatever you do.

Eusis

If you have vanilla DD data it gets uploaded automatically when you start Dark Arisen, but apparently there's a limit to how many times you can restart and get the bonuses from that data...
That seems kind of asinine, though I wonder if they plan to sell the DLC later?

I ran into a similar issue, where I loaded my game first then started a new game, and didn't get the bonuses. I deleted my Dark Arisen saves, and then it redetected the old saves and gave me the bonus when I started a new game. It seems to only apply the very first time, whatever you do.

I'll give this a shot tomorrow. Too tired to try it now.

Crazy thing is with all the fiddling around I did tonight I must have restarted at least 3 times. Why it decided to take my bonuses now I do not know.

That seems kind of asinine, though I wonder if they plan to sell the DLC later?

It sounds like a glitch to me, personally.

Sanctuary

No, it's not. There are some real spikes in the difficulty though.

The first 3 hours is TOUGH because you are illequpt for the things that come out you until you hit Gran Soren. Once you get better weapons and armor, you'll be fine...until you
kill the dragon
. Then the difficult spikes again and gets REALLY REALLY REALLY hard.

The early levels only felt rather rough to me as a Mage, prior to Miasma. The other classes had no such difficulty unless running into Uber_Bandit_OfDoom_01. Post was not nearly as bad as many made it out to be either, and was a rather refreshing change of pace.

ixix

Now that people are collecting some hard numbers it looks like the weapons you get for
killing the dragon
are indeed the strongest weapons of their respective types, unless there are weapons new to Dark Arisen that are more powerful.

Now that people are collecting some hard numbers it looks like the weapons you get for
killing the dragon
are indeed the strongest weapons of their respective types, unless there are weapons new to Dark Arisen that are more powerful.
You mean when rarefied?

Now I'm really confused. If I start a brand new game with Dark Arisen will I get the save transfer bonuses or not? Or do I have to use a character/save game from the original?

Bernbaum

Now I'm really confused. If I start a brand new game with Dark Arisen will I get the save transfer bonuses or not? Or do I have to use a character/save game from the original?

That is my understanding, yes. Rolling a new character in DD: DA will not yield the perks.

Transfer bonuses are effectively a reward for owners of DD:Vanilla getting the updated game.

That is my understanding, yes. Rolling a new character in DD:DA will not yield the perks.

Transfer bonuses are effectively a reward for owners of DD:Vanilla getting the updated game.

Bah, I wanted to start over. I guess I'll just play through the intro and then transfer that save.

ixix

You mean when rarefied?

All the numbers I've seen are either base stats or Dragonforged stats. Haven't seen any info for the new upgrade tiers. Drops from
the Ur-Dragon
look to mostly have the same stats they had in vanilla from what I've seen, whereas the weapons from
the dragon
have had significant buffs. In the vanilla game the
Dragon's Dogma
had 788 attack power when Dragonforged, in Dark Arisen it apparently has 938, for example.

I assume the disparity remains after ascending beyond Dragonforged.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
So I'm on maybe my 3rd or 4th trip down digging the enemy variety rocked a few bosses sideways got some fresh new gear
unicorn helm! Mistletoe circlet. So good
and I'm happily trotting down through the 2nd or 3rd larger courtyard that normally has a boss....this time...all I see are some goblins. Meh whatever...kill kill kill hahahaha this is easy BAM... Screen goes wavy and green then
a Fuck all huge gorewolf shows up outta nowhere and goes to town. He was flinging me up above the freakin trees...

This shit is fantastic. Post game at least this shit is plenty challenging. It was fast! Lol..back to work!

nikos

Some of these Wyrm Hunt quests are driving me crazy. The map marker is on the entrance to Gran Soren, but it doesn't move when I enter or exit. I've been running around Gran Soren, but nobody can offer any significant information for any of them.

So the basic path I suppose, for my brand new game is go through the vanilla game, kill
The Dragon
and do everything up to
killing the Seneschal
and then taking a trip down to bitterblack.

dont I get to make my own pawn later?

I seem to remember that from the original demo

I got to make my actual character finally and playing on hard is fun as heck

glad I picked this up, looking forward to playing more

ixix

dont I get to make my own pawn later?

I seem to remember that from the original demo

I got to make my actual character finally and playing on hard is fun as heck

glad I picked this up, looking forward to playing more

You'll get to make your main pawn as soon as you reach the encampment just north of Cassardis.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
...... Moonbeam gem talk here....

just opened my first door. Dragons glaze? Wat? Famed for the soul piercing chill of its ice enchanted arrows?!?!
.... o_O

Gotta find em all. Now now now.....

Is this what pokemon feels like? Holy shit I'm 5 again....

Kyoufu

IT HAS ARRIVED. Too bad I'm still hellbent on getting this last trophy. :(

edit: Wait wait wait... you can now equip TWO pieces of Jewelry?!?! :O

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Finally got in 2 hours with it this morning, few observations -

- fuck me the UI/hud during the tutorial is terrible.. pawn subtitle placement is terrible.. tutorial window is terrible.. its just a mish mash of garbage on screen. the menus themselves are also pretty robust so it'll take a bit to get used to it all

- the game looks pretty bad on ps3. You would never guess this is a current gen game by a big name developer by the textures/cg. I'm not even a graphics whore, the game just looks average

- except my character's ponytail. Tressfx my ass, that shit waves around like crazy. It's awesome. I love my ponytail.

- the combat is very quick, very fluid, but fuck me I had no idea what was going on in the tutorial. I'm climbing monsters, the pawns are climbing the monster as well, they're grabbing monsters for me to hit, spells flying everywhere, pawns talking over each other. Hopefully I just get used to filtering all the info quickly.

- Not being able to attack with your sword while your shield is up will be a BIG change from the Souls games. I realize there's shield abilities as well, but just that reflex of L1->R1 swing I'm gonna have to get rid of.

It seems like a pretty good game so far, literally just stepped out of the first city since I was running around doing the beginning quests. I don't think I'm gonna like how EVERYTHING is lootable.. fish..buckets..garbage.. not to mention my fuckin pawn loots shit as well. Oh god. Inventory management.

Top Bottom