• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
It seems like a pretty good game so far, literally just stepped out of the first city since I was running around doing the beginning quests. I don't think I'm gonna like how EVERYTHING is lootable.. fish..buckets..garbage.. not to mention my fuckin pawn loots shit as well. Oh god. Inventory management.

You can train your pawn to pick up everything they see so that you never have to bother.

Klepto pawns are the best pawns.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I hope you can get over the graphics, inventory management and pawns talking because if not you might as well return the game. The combat is where this game shines, everything else is decent.

Also he really needs to get into the options and clean up the HUD. It helps immensly.

Also... Dat feeling when you walk into the cat and just buy up Fuckin every piece of dlc gear ...filling yourself and all 3 pawns with weight...and not even really touching your cash. Arisen baller style wut.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I hope you can get over the graphics, inventory management and pawns talking because if not you might as well return the game. The combat is where this game shines, everything else is decent.

Those were just observations, I don't get hung up over stupid shit like that. I play games for the game part lol..there's plenty of good rpg/action gaming goodness here. Anyone could tell immediately.

I did want to clean the hud up a bit and saw the options for it, but I'll get to that next time.

I wish I could shift everything to the top of the screen but the letterbox just fucks everything up.

Kyoufu

Those were just observations, I don't get hung up over stupid shit like that. I play games for the game part lol..

I did want to clean the hud up a bit and saw the options for it, but I'll get to that next time.

Make sure you turn off Cinematic Actions or whatever it's called.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yeah. Nobody should have to suffer those. Disable immediately!

I think I will. Can I grab enemies similarly for my pawns to attack? When they grab them, do I just attack them normally or is there some sort of special prompt/qte to do?

denshuu

Whaddya mean? The eternal ferrystone is in the storage bin at the Inn at Cassardis.

You're right, my bad. Was mixing up the perks with DLC stuff.

But yeah, it's there, even on a 2nd new DA character.

QWVKl9i.jpg

Kyoufu

Finally, it now shows how many of each item you have not just on you but in storage too.

Loving these improvements so far (that one should have been in the game to begin with though).

I'm an expert

Damn they have no problem throwing 3 pawns at you right away.

Jumped into this for the first time yesterday (never played DD before) and I'm liking what I've seen so far. My least favorite thing about the game is the stupid letterboxing. All that wasted space is incredibly annoying, but hopefully I can get over it.

Kyoufu

Jumped into this for the first time yesterday (never played DD before) and I'm liking what I've seen so far. My least favorite thing about the game is the stupid letterboxing. All that wasted space is incredibly annoying, but hopefully I can get over it.

I honestly didn't notice it on a 42" Plasma. It probably sucks on a monitor.

I'm an expert

If it wasn't for the ui I actually wouldn't mind the letterbox, but the ui just seems squished in there at the bottom and you lost a lot of real estate on the screen.

Now that people are collecting some hard numbers it looks like the weapons you get for
killing the dragon
are indeed the strongest weapons of their respective types, unless there are weapons new to Dark Arisen that are more powerful.

They've been buffed by quite a lot.

Fey Whisper was the best bow, beating out Dragon's Rancor by about 10 in all categories; now, Dragon's Rancor is about 100 points better. They're both DF'd as well.

And now there's two levels above DF'd for even more murderpower.

Sanctuary

I honestly didn't notice it on a 42" Plasma. It probably sucks on a monitor.
That's what I play on as well and I never actually noticed the letterbox while playing. Similarly how you tend to block out letterbox on most blu-rays. The screen tearing is also overblown here. You barely notice it while running around outside or when in combat. The only time it really stands out is when you sit there and pan the camera repeatedly, looking for it. Sometimes GAF amazes me. Some will nitpick a bunch of minor things and call them gamebreaking, while waxing poetry on something like Monster Hunter: a game with a laundry list of issues.

I played the original on my plasma but currently have my PS3 hooked up to my LCD monitor in the office my new apartment and it definitely looks a lot worse on the monitor. It doesn't really matter because it becomes engrossing again almost right away but the flaws are a lot more obvious on the monitor.

Ainaurdur

I wasn't sure if I was going to pick it up yet, figured I would try the demo first, so I started downloading it on Monday night before getting in bed.
I stopped at Walmart yesterday after work to pick up cat litter and some groceries. Wandered past electronics so I figured I would check even though I have not had a chance to play the demo...

They had a few PS3 copies, but before I could get out of the game aisle, an employee walked over and asked if I needed any help, I immediately told him that I did. Ended up with the game in my cart. :D
I have not opened it yet, didn't have time last night and may not find time today either.

Did anyone ever figure out if the demo save data unlocks the extra stuff in DA? If not, I'll just delete the demo and dive into the game proper. I just finished reading back through some previous posts and found where at least two guys already confirmed it does not. Will delete the demo then.
I am excited to play this for the first time!

sublimit

Banned
Just curious,does the
post game
affect the new area and its monsters?
does the sky turn green and dark when you are at Bitter Black Isle?

Dyno

Started last night for the first time ever. Very nice, very nice indeed.

The game gives off a wonderful vibe, even in the first menus. The introduction is great. Soon enough you've got a sword and shield to go with peasants' clothing. It's a good thing, I like how meagre you start out. They start you out slow but it's a nice way to learn your special attacks. Right off the bat you feel quite lethal.

- the game looks pretty bad on ps3. You would never guess this is a current gen game by a big name developer by the textures/cg. I'm not even a graphics whore, the game just looks average
It's weird that you say that, because I absolutely love the look of DD. The textures are fairly bland, and the framerate drops can be annoying, but everything else just looks brilliant to me. I love the lighting effects (day/night cycle, weather effects), the shadows look so intricate and pervasive that it makes the world feel real, and I absolutely love the AA solution they're using. The letterboxing doesn't bother me either (I don't even notice it any more).

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm considering craziness.
Thinking of retiring Firinel and Elsbeth; a lethal pair that took me through two complete Vanilla runs and straight to the Platinum, in favor of starting DA fresh, and in hard mode.

o_O

I ran into a similar issue, where I loaded my game first then started a new game, and didn't get the bonuses. I deleted my Dark Arisen saves, and then it redetected the old saves and gave me the bonus when I started a new game. It seems to only apply the very first time, whatever you do.

Just confirming that this worked for me, too. Looks like you can only restart once after porting over data. Sorry if I confused anyone yesterday. Keep your vanilla data around in case you ever need it again.

I'm considering craziness.
Thinking of retiring Firinel and Elsbeth; a lethal pair that took me through two complete Vanilla runs and straight to the Platinum, in favor of starting DA fresh, and in hard mode.

o_O

Do it. I've never got the appeal of steamrolling through everything.

KorrZ

Did they under ship this game or is Dragon's Dogma more popular in my city than I thought. I went to 2 EB games both of them were sold out. I finally got my copy from Walmart but it was the last copy they had.

Anyways, loving the game so far...first time through and it's great.

Jobbs

Banned
Did they under ship this game or is Dragon's Dogma more popular in my city than I thought. I went to 2 EB games both of them were sold out. I finally got my copy from Walmart but it was the last copy they had.

Anyways, loving the game so far...first time through and it's great.

was my personal GOTY in 2012 and apparently it has sold well enough that Capcom decided it was worth it to re-release the game with new content.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The game definitely has a stumbly start till you get to Gran Soren. Mostly because you don't feel like you have many options at your disposal and you're stuck with basic gear which definitely makes the creatures at the bottom of the well rather challenging among other things.

Once you get to Gran Soren the world just feels a lot bigger, I switched my vocation at level 15 and went out exploring to level it up a little and all the random encounters were just so exciting, the first time you get caught in the darkness and undead just start to crawl out of the earth was just awesome!

This is my first play through since the original demo. I've been waiting for dark arisen forever since it was announced. The game was at like 40 bucks used for a long time and it dropped in price as soon as DA was announced but I still decided to wait. Well worth it i'd say.

fallingdove

I love Dragons Dogma. Definitely my GOTY last year. Kinda sad that I won't be picking this up. I think my wife would divorce me if I spent another 300+ hours on a Dragons Dogma game.

edgefusion

Damn, was hoping to grab the download version off PSN today but it's not available until Friday. Guess I'll just stick with a rental copy then.

njean777

Quick questions: How do I equip the lantern I got from the guy at the well, I went into equipment and couldn't seem to find anywhere to equip it...? Also when and where can I change my vocation?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Quick questions: How do I equip the lantern I got from the guy at the well, I went into equipment and couldn't seem to find anywhere to equip it...? Also when and where can I change my vocation?

Use select/back to open the item inventory not the equipment inventory. Go to tools (i think that's where it is) and just select the Lantern and use it.

Sanctuary

Use select/back to open the item inventory not the equipment inventory. Go to tools (i think that's where it is) and just select the Lantern and use it.
Don't forget to make sure to fill it with oil when needed. Your pawn can carry one as well, though I don't remember if the other two followers can.

Goddamn me and my criticism over character creation. I must have been in that menu over 20 minutes trying to create my perfect ranger. It feels like 2012 all over again.

Would it be better to get this on the PS3 or 360? I have a previous save file from the 360 version of the original, but feel no loyalty toward the platform at all. Should I abandon and go with the PS3 or are the rewards for the save file good enough to keep me on the same platform?

I'm enjoying it to a degree but I'm about to start over

Wizard was a bad choice. It's not passive but it's not as active as front line murderer

Level 20 and I don't know if theres stats you get from leveling or if it's safe to just switch. I know I'll be behind on vocational levels but eh, seems like I can make that up

gotta decide now if I want to go sword and board or two handers on my next guy

Also is there a benefit to maxing out strider before moving to assassin/ranger? looks like most of the active abilities do not carry over

I'm an expert

It's weird that you say that, because I absolutely love the look of DD. The textures are fairly bland, and the framerate drops can be annoying, but everything else just looks brilliant to me. I love the lighting effects (day/night cycle, weather effects), the shadows look so intricate and pervasive that it makes the world feel real, and I absolutely love the AA solution they're using. The letterboxing doesn't bother me either (I don't even notice it any more).

You know, when I got out of the beginner town and looked at the horizon, I did see a hint of good there. The game isn't awful looking or anything, but just the entire section after the tutorial..

- the cg with the dragon looks very rough
- the entire attack on the village has terrible models
- the part where the dragon takes your heart is..ps2 level

Again, I'm not a graphics whore, it's just it became very clear to me from the first few mins that the budget was not huge for this game. The action since then has looked fine. I ventured out in the night to encampment and it looked great with goblins attacking and shit.

Goddamn me and my criticism over character creation. I must have been in that menu over 20 minutes trying to create my perfect ranger. It feels like 2012 all over again.

I only spent about 5 mins on myself and my pawn but I tweaked every option I could. Based them off some WoW characters.. I didn't know my female pawn would have a horrible Scottish accent though.

Dynamic3

Went with the PSN version, downloaded in 30m, then literally took from 8:30 to 12:30 to install. I fell asleep on the couch.

Is my PS3 dying?

I'm an expert

Went with the PSN version, downloaded in 30m, then literally took from 8:30 to 12:30 to install. I fell asleep on the couch.

Is my PS3 dying?

Apparently that's how long it takes, but I left it to install when I went to work so I had no idea. If there's one thing you have to do when going digital, it's basically set the game up the day before you plan to play. Downloading/patches/installs can take a few hours.

Top Bottom