• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Mesoian

Man, being a Sorc isn't too fun anymore. The high damage spells aren't doing as much damage as I had hoped and I've hit a huge brick wall. Got to the
giant evil eye
and it just takes so long to damage. My pawns aren't worth for shit either.

Kind of out of areas to go to too so this sucks, :/

Back to the critical path for you!

LaneDS

Let's say you want to convince someone to buy Dragon's Dogma, either the original or Dark Arisen- what single trailer or video do you show them to highlight why this game is worth their time and money?

Eusis

Let's say you want to convince someone to buy Dragon's Dogma, either the original or Dark Arisen- what single trailer or video do you show them to highlight why this game is worth their time and money?
Find whichever one has the main character get set on fire and jump on a monster about to fly up into the air to set them on fire too. Afterwards going on to slash at its face a hundred feet into the air.

Mesoian

This one did it for me

maelstrom1mxb1.gif

Jobbs

Banned
pro tip, never put that huge wind up move on a warrior pawn (the lash moves). they never hit. ever. and they waste all their time standing there.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Just cheesed the well quest by stayin up top and snipin with my bow...ranged...yessssssss

I wanted difficult, I finally got difficult. This fucking Ogre has killed me 3 times in a row. I've got him down to his last health bar all three times, but his attacks are insane. I'm a tank but his drop kick attack takes 2900 HP off (or around their, not sure on the specific number). That's bananas for how great my defense is. His grab attack where he eats your face is basically instant death if your pawns don't jar you loose.

i think i'm going to enjoy this on hard.

abundant

I thought I was on the critical path. Have to check for something I've missed I guess.

Also, I read the DD wiki and the seismic spell might come in handy for fighting those dudes.

You have to beat
The Gazer
to continue down the critical path. That's been the only boss fight I've hated so far.

Grisby

You have to beat
The Gazer
to continue down the critical path. That's been the only boss fight I've hated so far.
Damn.

Let me ask you this. Does that 1 hit kill spell have a range? The one where he
summons 4 rocks with a thingy in the middle and you have to destroy the rocks.
Didn't figure it out in time and died.

ironcreed

Banned
About ready to head back down into the depths to see what insane battles await me next. While some of the enemies take ridiculously long to beat and deal out absurd amounts of damage, it's still a pretty great expansion overall. Those who wanted even more difficulty... here you go.

Drewfonse

I know that this has probably been answered a million times, but how do I access my unlimited Ferrystone? I imported a vanilla DD character.

ironcreed

Banned
Damn.

Let me ask you this. Does that 1 hit kill spell have a range? The one where he
summons 4 rocks with a thingy in the middle and you have to destroy the rocks.
Didn't figure it out in time and died.

Stay up top and use the pillars as cover. I took him out fast by leaping onto him from up there and climbing in his eye to do massive damage with my strider. If you fall, just go back up and repeat until he is toast. Before that, I spent nearly an hour shooting arrows at his eye until I finally died. Maybe switch vocations and give it a try.

Eusis

I know that this has probably been answered a million times, but how do I access my unlimited Ferrystone? I imported a vanilla DD character.
Go to an Inn and check storage. Should be under tools IIRC and have the same icon as the regular Ferrystone.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I had a prolonged fight at night with like every goblin and wolf outside of Cassardis and leveled up 4 or 5 times just killing them and finishing like 5 signboard quests. Absolutely destroyed the first cyclops. There sure are a lot of quests early on..

emag

I don't know if it's just my jack-of-all-trades character build or my lack of high-tier equipment or a combination of the two, but BBI just wasn't doing it for me. Every boss-like opponent I came up (
Cyclops, direwolf, ogre
) against was dealing 75%+ damage to me per hit and I could barely do a sliver's worth of damage in return.

I decided to restart the game in hard mode and am now having a lot more fun. After I complete the main game again, I'll give BBI another shot.

I'm an expert

Can you turn a current game into hard mode? Or it has to be from the start?

I'm an expert

You have to do it from the start.

Hm, interesting. Wonder if it's worth restarting one more time for that.. does this game hit a point where you clearly outlevel everything? AKA Amalur's biggest weakness cause it happens in the first fuckin 10 hours.

Grisby

Stay up top and use the pillars as cover. I took him out fast by leaping onto him from up there and climbing in his eye to do massive damage with my strider. If you fall, just go back up and repeat until he is toast. Before that, I spent nearly an hour shooting arrows at his eye until I finally died. Maybe switch vocations and give it a try.
I figure it would be easy to switch to strider but I'm trying to beat it with my Sorcerer. I'm finding out when there are multiple limbs it's hard to target with spells.

The
giant eye
boss fight (early DA spoiler )was a superb fight. i was worried since i had trouble to hit his weakspot ( and my arrow were doing little damage ) and then i understood how this fight was supposed to work.

"Let's use his magic against him !"

You bet i will !

Mrbob

FedEx brought my copy today, started with a Strider based on recommendations and am digging the game. So much fun to play. I bought the 360 version and I have a question. I installed the HD Texture Pack, but do I have to toggle a switch on somewhere? Honestly, the textures look horrible. Hard of my eyes. I feel like I missed a switch somewhere. Maybe I didn't and this is how the game looks with the "HD" textures on? My eyes are adjusting but it really was a rough initial transition.

I'm an expert

Nah.. The game looks pretty bad. The cutscene where weird hooded dude talks to you when you go back to starter city. Geezus. Worst textures ever.

So...I beat the ogre. Felts good, man. That feeling didn't last long however...

Then I run into a *monster spoilers*
a Minotaur, which are a lot of fun. Its a fight were I wish it was one on one duel. My pawns just get in the way. After that, Death shows up and kills everything but me. So I run to the next room...two giant chained cyclops and a bunch of super powerful sorcerers. Kill me immediately

For those how have finished Bitterblack Isle, is there a lot of new, strong equipment? I'm getting level 2 cursed items, some are good but its stuff I already use or have seen before. I really want some new, boss weapons and armor.

I'm an expert

We told you about Strider bro! We told you dawg!

If you did I'm truly sorry for not listening. There's a reason I shy away from melee chars in these games..dey straight hot garbage! Ranged is where it's at.

Pooya

FedEx brought my copy today, started with a Strider based on recommendations and am digging the game. So much fun to play. I bought the 360 version and I have a question. I installed the HD Texture Pack, but do I have to toggle a switch on somewhere? Honestly, the textures look horrible. Hard of my eyes. I feel like I missed a switch somewhere. Maybe I didn't and this is how the game looks with the "HD" textures on? My eyes are adjusting but it really was a rough initial transition.

the game has awful textures, that's how it is, you'll get used to it...

Nah.. The game looks pretty bad. The cutscene where weird hooded dude talks to you when you go back to starter city. Geezus. Worst textures ever.
most of the NPCs look like dogshit, even in cut scenes. Low poly too.

Most of the boss monsters look flat out fantastic (hydra, griffin) and are amazingly animated. Its an OK trade off in my book

I'm an expert

most of the NPCs look like dogshit, even in cut scenes. Low poly too.

Most of the boss monsters look flat out fantastic (hydra, griffin) and are amazingly animated. Its an OK trade off in my book

I'd agree. So far the action looks great, but do a close up of my char's face or hair and we time warp to N64.

Sanctuary

Might be old news, but I didn't see any actual numbers on the supposed magick bow buffs. So I looked at the initial bow you have access to (magick clutch I think) and in vanilla it's 73 magick, and in DA it's 113. So if the other bows were buffed similarly, then that was about a 55% increase. Still doesn't seem like it's enough to simply switch to MA at level 10. At least, it should allow for a much more reasonable "mandatory" Sorcerer breakpoint.

I'd agree. So far the action looks great, but do a close up of my char's face or hair and we time warp to N64.

It's nowhere near N64. What it does look a lot like however are the really bad faces from the first Mass Effect.

KePoW

Banned
Never played the original, but enjoying Dark Arisen so far.

But is it advisable to loot everything you see for selling or crafting? There's so much stuff to loot everywhere, it's kind of a pain.

Or is it completely unnecessary to loot all those random things like Nuts and Rocks and stuff?

If you did I'm truly sorry for not listening. There's a reason I shy away from melee chars in these games..dey straight hot garbage! Ranged is where it's at.
You definitely need range in your party, either bows or spells.

You can switch vocations to get Fighter and Warrior augments that increase defense and attack.

I suspect like most of us you will love the Assassin vocation, it gives you the most non-spell flexibility.

Ainaurdur

Speaking of things looking terrible...

I wanted to get some upgraded armor for my Fighter character, bought him a Traveler's Hood, Skull Belts, and some Budget Greaves.

My female Pawn is ashamed to be seen in public with him.

xCobalt

For those how have finished Bitterblack Isle, is there a lot of new, strong equipment? I'm getting level 2 cursed items, some are good but its stuff I already use or have seen before. I really want some new, boss weapons and armor.

I'm thinking the actual level of the bitterblack items doesn't have much to do with the quality of the item. Might have more to do with the probability of getting something good. I purified a level 1 bitterblack weapon and got Dragon Risen which was a pretty nice surprise. I also purified a level 3 armor and it gave me a pretty good cloak. It replaced the one I found from the everfall.

I wanted to get some upgraded armor for my Fighter character, bought him a Traveler's Hood, Skull Belts, and some Budget Greaves.

Helmets are pretty ugly. For the majority of the game I used Gossip Mask.

I'm an expert

You definitely need range in your party, either bows or spells.

You can switch vocations to get Fighter and Warrior augments that increase defense and attack.

I suspect like most of us you will love the Assassin vocation, it gives you the most non-spell flexibility.

I'm goin straight ranger asap. The bow life is for me.

Sera O

Banned

Yeah when I had my pawn dressed in what appeared to be dirty white longjohn bottoms, I was highly motivated to upgrade his outfit. Highly, highly motivated. There's a lot of armor I have with better stats that I don't equip, either because it's hideous or because it doesn't go with any other equips.

/Dragon Savvy: Trendsetters

:O I understand.

I mus have missed my pawn saying that.

My pawn said that ... after i crushed

-all the tentacules arond the eye
-all the recovery magic portail the eye made on the floor

The fight is a peace of cake if you evade properly everything

I'm thinking the actual level of the bitterblack items doesn't have much to do with the quality of the item. Might have more to do with the probability of getting something good. I purified a level 1 bitterblack weapon and got Dragon Risen which was a pretty nice surprise. I also purified a level 3 armor and it gave me a pretty good cloak. It replaced the one I found from the everfall.
yeah, I'm not sure how it works either. Some of the loots been good, I had a lvl 2 item give me a Wounded Heart, which is one of the best warrior swords based on damage. I also got an awesome robe for my mage pawn.

I really want a new helmet and shield for my warrior.

I was just thinking Dragon's Dogma would be perfect for a 'medieval horde' co-op mode. Four players in a Everfall or Bitterblack Isle area against waves of enemies and hard-ass boss monsters.

Anyone here actually use one of the 6 outfits that came with the game when it detects your previous DD save? I find them lacking in aesthetics and because of that I have only put them on once and never looked back.

I started a new game and I know the outfits are ten times better then what you can get the first few hours but the queen and nun sets completely take me out of the game. It is like Capcom is making fun of me for choosing a female class over a male.

Top Bottom