• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Made it to the second area in Bitterblack Isle...

But in some underground sewer area I had some ogre spawn that had like, 8 health bars, wouldn't take any damage from me, so I started to book it, and then the entire run through thus far started to unravel. My pawns ended up dying to some super goblins as I was frantically running trying to find my way out. I was the last one left and right before I made it out to the exit, a giant hell wolf from hell spawned out of nowhere and it was me frantically running to the exit, barely making it.

At least out of that run I got the Predation augment, so that's going to be nice.

Bitterblack Isle is kind of terrifying so far, but mostly just because I don't know where anything is yet...

Hey has anybody purchased the "New Character Edit Options Pack" from Orla at BBI?

I'm curious about this too. I thought we were supposed to get more appearance changes for free? Or did we get more and then this is just even more character options?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So I just got to the
the priest and the dragon
fight. I got my ass handed to me at 72 and then I reloaded my checkpoint and ended up back where I last slept at the start of the dungeon. So now I have go back down through the
minotaur
, a potential
Elder Ogre
and all the crap leading up to the fight.

45551-Shits-on-fire-yo--Colbert-scre-T8Z0.gif
For once, being a PC gamer benefits me in a console game. I'm a habitual saver after events I'd rather not do again.

Update(New player still): Sorted my pawn out, turned him into a sorcerer, relaized i need a new weapon for him to actually attack with. Shield counters and learning how to properly pace attacks to make the most out of a stamina bar. I was frustrated earlier, but the game is starting to sink in for me and it's getting pretty awesome. Mechanically, The combat is by far the best feeling in any RPG this gen.
For me, it feels like Elder Scrolls with A slight Dark Souls aesthetic, and character action combat. I fucking love it.

RangerBAD

For once, being a PC gamer benefits me in a console game. I'm a habitual saver after events I'd rather not do again.

For me, it feels like Elder Scrolls with A slight Dark Souls aesthetic, and character action combat. I fucking love it.

My mistake was using the checkpoint. It was really my fault. I was kind of pissed because a lot of shit was getting thrown at me.

RSLAEV

Man, I really like the core components of this game- the combat, the pawn system-I hope they add more to it in the future-like more quests and dialogue and monsters.

My character and her pawn kick ass and I don't want the adventure to end

burgerdog

This was my strategy:
I just focus fired on the sorcerer while trying to evade the dragon. As soon as the sorcerer went down, so did the dragon! Got drops from the dragon and managed to get a piece of equipment dragonforged.

That dragon is made of paper and when you kill it(takes about 10 seconds or less to kill it)the sorcerer falls to the ground for a long time. You can easily remove half of his total HP bar within that one stun period. Wait for dragon to come back, kill it again and repeat.

Arklite

Finally found some new armor pieces. Trophy jacket is skimpy/awesome and a set of bone armor for the pawn. Much, much better than most of the included DLC gear. Surprising how bland a lot of that was.

How the hell do I get pawns that are from Dark Arisen? Almost every Pawn I find I can't rate. I got lucky and someone used my pawn, but I can see how tedious it is to find pawns that can be rated. Hope the devs fix this.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Did anyone here play without a full party? Maybe just you and your pawn? Or a party of 3? How was it?

xCobalt

How the hell do I get pawns that are from Dark Arisen? Almost every Pawn I find I can't rate. I got lucky and someone used my pawn, but I can see how tedious it is to find pawns that can be rated. Hope the devs fix this.

When you hire pawns, there should be some icons below their name. Pawns that have an icon with 2 blue arrows are from DA. If there's a red line through an icon, it means they're from the original game.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Anyone else in the "Fuck Helmets" category?

I love the way my character looks and the somewhat goofy looking helmets they give you early on diminish the aesthetic appeal.

Although, I fear that helmets give a much needed boost in defense rating so I will probably have to get one eventually.

Any opinions?

When you hire pawns, there should be some icons below their name. Pawns that have an icon with 2 blue arrows are from DA. If there's a red line through an icon, it means they're from the original game.

I get that. What I'm saying is there needs to be a search filter for DA pawns only, Or only show DA pawns for people who are playing DA. All I see are DD pawns.

Kyoufu

I get that. What I'm saying is there needs to be a search filter for DA pawns only, Or only show DA pawns for people who are playing DA. All I see are DD pawns.

It's not out in Europe until another 6 hours so a lot of players are probably stuck with DD til they can get their hands on DA.

They should patch a filter in though.

I love the way my character looks and the somewhat goofy looking helmets they give you early on diminish the aesthetic appeal.

Although, I fear that helmets give a much needed boost in defense rating so I will probably have to get one eventually.

Any opinions?

I wear Beowulf Mask.

Trigger

Any opinions?

Real talk: About 80% of my armor choices are based on looks alone. lol, I completely understand you. Never wore a helmet once.

Arklite

Any opinions?

Difficulty starts to taper off as you go, so helms aren't that necessary. There are some circlets that are minimalistic and look pretty good, though.

Eusis

Helmet was fine with me when I had this horned one while wearing a direwolf cape, but now I think I'm just going to go without.

I usually wear the griffin helmet on when I'm a fighter, switch to the White Hawk Sallet as a warrior. I like changing my looks depending on the class.

Got a white and gold cape, pretty badass. Works well with my shiny armor getup

Eusis

I'm mostly in the Swordsmen setup right now, only lacking the main armor (I'm wearing something that seems to work well with the rest), I kinda want to switch back to Warrior just to do the Guts thing properly, but I'll probably end up foisting it on my Pawn when I turn her Warrior as i want to level up either Assassin or Sorcerer next.

atomsk

Party Pooper
just watched my pawn jump on a giant skeleton and start slashing away... and then skeleton proceeds to run into a bottomless pit

welp

Persona7

Banned
So this has the entire previous game? Is anything missing?

I had the previous game on my amazon wishlist and still want to know if I should get the original title.

Is there an easy way to rename my Pawn? I just had an idea for a badass name.

Any opinions?
Yeah, so many of the hats and hoods look downright atrocious, to the point where I mostly go bareheaded as well. The fighters get a few nice ones but the other classes are (for the most part) shit out of luck.

Special shout out to the style of hat that looks like Robin Hood accidentally put his through the dryer. They even make them in multiple colours so that everyone can enjoy them. lol.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Download complete! Installation time. Man, I guess this weekend will be spent playing since this is turning into quite the endeavor.

Grisby

Freaking finally. Beat the
Gazer
. Took forever for a Sorc because my spells kept getting interrupted.

My pawn needs an attitude adjustment. She was fine, more than fine, for vanilla DD but she's not attacking as much here for some reason.

maomaoIYP

Any opinions?

A lot of headpieces can look great when paired up correctly with matching equipment.
Case in point:
45978410151473910897758.jpg

47812610151473922797758.jpg

ironcreed

Banned
Get the hell out of here with this Forgotten Hall place.
Two giant cyclops chained to the wall and sorcerers casting ultra powerful maelstrom that sucks me and my pawns into the room and bounces us up and down to a near instant death. Can't do shit.

So yeah level 53 character here and wow.... I was getting creamed easily. I just defeated the cockatrice. I'm guessing that isn't very far. Would you recommend just playing through the main campaign before trying it again?

burgerdog

Get the hell out of here with this Forgotten Hall place.
Two giant cyclops chained to the wall and sorcerers casting ultra powerful maelstrom that sucks me and my pawns into the room and bounces us up and down to a near instant death. Can't do shit.

Hahaha, I killed the three sorcerers and ran out of the room to save. Uh, NOPE, three cursed-wolves spawned in the hallway with the door and destroyed me. One wolf gave me a ton of trouble the first time I battled it, now I have to kill three? My god, that entire floor is just wrong.

ironcreed

Banned
Hahaha, I killed the three sorcerers and ran out of the room to save. Uh, NOPE, three cursed-wolves spawned in the hallway with the door and destroyed me. One wolf gave me a ton of trouble the first time I battled it, now I have to kill three? My god, that entire floor is just wrong.

I just got two, but the third one did the same shit before I could get to him. Insane.

ironcreed

Banned
So yeah level 53 character here and wow.... I was getting creamed easily. I just defeated the cockatrice. I'm guessing that isn't very far. Would you recommend just playing through the main campaign before trying it again?

Oh, you have not even begun, lol. The way it's looking is that everything here scales to you anyway. Even level 200 players are running into situations where they are getting one-shotted, etc.

Oh, you have not even begun, lol. The way it's looking is that everything here scales to you anyway. Even level 200 players are running into situations where they are getting one-shotted, etc.

Ahhh ok. I might just put it on easy mode! I know... for shame... but I don't want to have the game taking me forever simple cause I'm redoing stuff over and over. I got alot on my plate :D

The switch to warrior this time has been interesting. Almost everything in BBI has been easier except
minotaurs and wargs
. I had no problems with them before thanks to Dragon Maw. The warrior really needs an uber move like that :(

I got insta-killed A LOT.

That room is nuts.

Once I killed the sorcerers, my ranger pawn jump on one of the Cyclopes and started hacking away...stupid mother fucker almost got us all killed. I traded him for a new pawn shortly there after lol

In case any new players don't know, you can turn off 'cinematic camera' so that in moments when a big monster is staggered or when your pawn bangs shield, holds down a foe etc the camera doesn't zoom on whatever else, taking the view away from your character.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Am I going to be able to beat DA with a sorcerer on hard?

There are some bits of Bitterblack that are probably gonna be rough. I'd recommend playing the game until you get
the Wyrmking's Ring
before you go to Bitterblack, because the sheer number of enemies along with their level of aggression make charging spells kind of a pain in the ass.

You're not going to be getting a lot of Bolides and Maelstroms and such off, so lean on your basic spells for the most part. High Voidspell's really useful to have, too, though you can always just pack plenty of petrification-curing items if you don't want to use a skill slot for it.

I'm using a staff-wielding Magick Archer so far, and I'm kind of jonesin' for some non-pawn physical damage at this point, personally. Good luck.

Freaking finally. Beat the
Gazer
. Took forever for a Sorc because my spells kept getting interrupted.

My pawn needs an attitude adjustment. She was fine, more than fine, for vanilla DD but she's not attacking as much here for some reason.

Even pawns with good inclinations seem to have AI troubles against the giant enemies in Bitterblack. I'm not sure if it's something they changed in the way the AI works between the versions or if they're just not good at handling the colossal enemies in DA. Even pawns with Scather/Challenger seem to become rather passive against the Bitterblack bosses.

Mesoian

Got the game and started over. Man the beginning of this game is slow, and Hard mode isn't hard AT ALL. Little disappointed. Was gonna wait until midgame to go to the DLC stuff, but maybe it makes sense to go there now.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I just realized that my main pawn has been spending so much time casting High Voidspell to cure pawns that go and get themselves petrified that her primary inclination has become Nexus.

I imagine that's the reason I've been having so much trouble getting her to kill things of late.

Grisby

Even pawns with good inclinations seem to have AI troubles against the giant enemies in Bitterblack. I'm not sure if it's something they changed in the way the AI works between the versions or if they're just not good at handling the colossal enemies in DA. Even pawns with Scather/Challenger seem to become rather passive against the Bitterblack bosses.
Oh, I see. Well, maybe I'll keep trudging along with her then.

Did feel pretty epic finally beating him. Holy affinity was a good thing to have.

Final edit just because- Got a sweet new red robe, Adept robe. Looking for a new staff. I never did beat nor farm the Ur Dragon so I might be behind on equipment stuffs.

Top Bottom