• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen |OT| deep down darkness

Anyone here actually use one of the 6 outfits that came with the game when it detects your previous DD save? I find them lacking in aesthetics and because of that I have only put them on once and never looked back.

I started a new game and I know the outfits are ten times better then what you can get the first few hours but the queen and nun sets completely take me out of the game. It is like Capcom is making fun of me for choosing a female class over a male.
I'm going to import a low level save and make a pawn named Nunya. :D

Well, back at The Everfall in Post-Game, and still haven't found good loot yet, lol. Not sure if I should stay here for a while or head back to Bitterblack Isle...

I was just thinking Dragon's Dogma would be perfect for a 'medieval horde' co-op mode. Four players in a Everfall or Bitterblack Isle area against waves of enemies and hard-ass boss monsters.

All i ask is a 2 player co-op ( 1 player + his personal pawn )*2 With a series of dongeons that are a set of inter connected rooms featuring ennemies + bosses (
TRUE
everfall style ) with increasing difficulty.

Sanctuary

Anyone here actually use one of the 6 outfits that came with the game when it detects your previous DD save? I find them lacking in aesthetics and because of that I have only put them on once and never looked back.

I started a new game and I know the outfits are ten times better then what you can get the first few hours but the queen and nun sets completely take me out of the game. It is like Capcom is making fun of me for choosing a female class over a male.

The first or second male armor (the blue and black cloth + plate) looks relatively good, and it's actually a pretty phenomenal set for a Mage or Sorcerer for a long while. I went from the random early bandits shooting me down to half, or a third of my health with their whatever flurry shots, to them barely hurting in comparison.

Drewfonse

Ugh, I think that I've hit a glitch or something. I'm on The Watergod's Altar, and I have to find the 5 pieces of slate. I have wiped out the dungeon, and it says that I only have 3 of 5. I have opened every single chest that I've come across. I've even used a map, both online and off, that shows the exact location of all 5 slabs. I systematically went to each spot, and those chests have ALL been opened. I haven't dropped or sold any of them. Very frustrating, considering that it's a mandatory quest.

I'm considering starting a new game (arrrrgh), but if I get to this quest and the same shit happens again, I might join Al-Qaeda.

Just ugh.

Chao

Ugh, I think that I've hit a glitch or something. I'm on The Watergod's Altar, and I have to find the 5 pieces of slate. I have wiped out the dungeon, and it says that I only have 3 of 5. I have opened every single chest that I've come across. I've even used a map, both online and off, that shows the exact location of all 5 slabs. I systematically went to each spot, and those chests have ALL been opened. I haven't dropped or sold any of them. Very frustrating, considering that it's a mandatory quest.

Just ugh.
Maybe one of your paws took one of the pieces? I think you must carry all five of them to finish the quest, but I could be wrong.

I'm considering starting a new game (arrrrgh), but if I get to this quest and the same shit happens again, I might join Al-Qaeda.

Just ugh.

Check your pawns' inventories.

Drewfonse

Check your pawns' inventories.

One of them had 2, another had 1. I gave them to my character, but Haslett won't prompt me to give the slabs to him. Those are the three that I had already gotten credit for.

I wonder if I let go of a pawn who had a few slabs with him. But I WOULD have approached Haslett after I got all 5.

The problem is that this is where I left off in DD, and now I remember why I gave up on the game. I bought DA, thinking that I had just gotten bored. Nope, it was just this brick wall quest. I may have to start over.

xCobalt

One of them had 2, another had 1. I gave them to my character, but Haslett won't prompt me to give the slabs to him. Those are the three that I had already gotten credit for.

I wonder if I let go of a pawn who had a few slabs with him. But I WOULD have approached Haslett after I got all 5.

The problem is that this is where I left off in DD, and now I remember why I gave up on the game. I bought DA, thinking that I had just gotten bored. Nope, it was just this brick wall quest. I may have to start over.

Are you sure you opened the chests that contained them? Have you tried looking at a vid? If you only have 3 and you opened all 5 chests, you may have discarded a couple. Check with the Black Cat as he will sell quest items that you may have sold/discarded.

Jobbs

Banned
playing assassin and loving it.

I like it because you get to use a sword and a bow. bow is always a good thing to have and fun to play, and the sword is just generally better than daggers, in my opinion. it seems to generally do more damage, plus it's easy to use and you get lots of knock downs and staggers. dash to target and knock him back, also get a nice big knockup, those are the two meat and potato skills, and then add a third one to taste.

plus, the assassin has epicly good stat scaling, for anyone playing a physical class, everything you want, nothing you don't.

what's more, carry a shield wtih you and put it on if the situation warrants it, such as a dungeon with really tight confines where a bow isn't as good.

I recommend assassin if you are kinda torn on what to play. and since the stat scaling is so good, your stamina an strength both scaling very high, you can transition very strongly to ranger if you decide that focusing on all out bow use is what you want to do.

Kyoufu

Just killed the
Sorcerer & Dragon
on stream. Have I mentioned how much I love Magick Archer?

With a Dagger this vocation is very versatile and veeeeeery fun. <3

Are you on PS3? I could maybe gift whatever it is you need to your pawn.

burgerdog

Just killed the
Sorcerer & Dragon
on stream. Have I mentioned how much I love Magick Archer?

With a Dagger this vocation is very versatile and veeeeeery fun. <3

Very easy boss once you realize the dragon is made of paper and what happens when you ... yadayadayada.

Sera O

Banned

Is it possible you approached Haslett while you had them distributed among your party (you may have needed to have all five on your main char) and then let a pawn go, thus sending whatever they were carrying back to your storage?

Otherwise, I have no idea why this would happen.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Info on the new augments yet?

Already found 4 or 5 of them. There are some real kind of quirky gems ( like gaining a slight bit of health back if you land the killing blow on an enemy) - some other utility style ones that greatly decrease the stamina used while running or make you carry another person as fast you would normally run... stuff like that.

nothing really "of course i'll equip that!!" Levels of OP...

Still haven't seen a single new skill (that lvl 3 stuff they talked about) at all.. and i'm pretty sure I walked up to the place where i'll be fighting the big bad. I've found 3? or 4 moonbeam gems so far .. need to find the others as The Dragon's Glaze and a few other of the items i've found that are truly worth gangbusters have all come from behind those doors.

Drewfonse

Is it possible you approached Haslett while you had them distributed among your party (you may have needed to have all five on your main char) and then let a pawn go, thus sending whatever they were carrying back to your storage?

Otherwise, I have no idea why this would happen.

Holy shit, that's exactly what happened, I had 2 in storage from a discarded pawn. I can't thank you enough. I have all 5 now. Wow.

xCobalt

Info on the new augments yet?

Found this on gamefaqs:

Predation: Slightly restores health when you deliver the killing blow to a foe.
Conveyance: Hastens your movement speed whilst carrying a person or object.
Acquisition: Hastens the speed with which you gather and mine items
Prolongation: Makes your lantern oil last longer, greatly extending it's use
Mettle: Increases the ratio of white, recoverable health when you take damage
Athleticism: Decreases stamina consumed while running
Recuperation: Increases the speed you recover lost health from curative magic and springs
Adhesion: Makes it harder for an enemy to throw you off while clinging to it.
Opportunism: Augments your strength while clinging to a foe
Flow: Keeps you from being slowed while running through water or marshland
Grace: Lets you land safely from greater heights
Facility: Hastens ballista reloading

I have an additional one called Tenacity which gives you a chance to survive an attack, leaving you with 1 hp.

Kyoufu

There's an augment that gives you 1hp when you'd otherwise be killed.

Amazing for hard mode.

edit: Yeah, Tenacity as xCobalt said. Definitely top tier.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Just so I'm clear, it's totally ok to pause and heal with items in this game? The challenge comes from preparing enough consumables for your journey? Cause right now it seems really hard to die when I can just pause and heal.

Kyoufu

Just so I'm clear, it's totally ok to pause and heal with items in this game? The challenge comes from preparing enough consumables for your journey? Cause right now it seems really hard to die when I can just pause and heal.

Yep, that's how it's done. I always carry Spring Water and Large Mushroom.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Found this on gamefaqs:

Predation: Slightly restores health when you deliver the killing blow to a foe.
Conveyance: Hastens your movement speed whilst carrying a person or object.

Acquisition: Hastens the speed with which you gather and mine items
Prolongation: Makes your lantern oil last longer, greatly extending it's use
Mettle: Increases the ratio of white, recoverable health when you take damage
Athleticism: Decreases stamina consumed while running
Recuperation: Increases the speed you recover lost health from curative magic and springs

Adhesion: Makes it harder for an enemy to throw you off while clinging to it.
Opportunism: Augments your strength while clinging to a foe
Flow: Keeps you from being slowed while running through water or marshland
Grace: Lets you land safely from greater heights
Facility: Hastens ballista reloading

I have an additional one called Tenacity which gives you a chance to survive an attack, leaving you with 1 hp.

Bolded i've already found. .. that last one.. Tenacity.. i put on my main Pawn... to give her chance to make it through 2 solid hits from necdragons lol ..

The augment strength while clinging tho? Yup. Gonna have to take that one.

Eusis

Are there any noticeable differences between the 360 and PS3 versions?
Screen tearing but stays closer to 30 FPS more often, no screen tearing but somewhat lower FPS on PS3. It seems this release helped iron out some of those issues, but they're not wholly gone. Stick with whichever issues bugs you less (I prefer to not have screen tearing, so PS3) or which controller you like better (for this game? Ditto, PS3.)

Kyoufu

Screen tearing but stays closer to 30 FPS more often, no screen tearing but somewhat lower FPS on PS3. It seems this release helped iron out some of those issues, but they're not wholly gone. Stick with whichever issues bugs you less (I prefer to not have screen tearing, so PS3) or which controller you like better (for this game? Ditto, PS3.)

DS3 face buttons are really nice for this.

RangerBAD

So I just got to the
the priest and the dragon
fight. I got my ass handed to me at 72 and then I reloaded my checkpoint and ended up back where I last slept at the start of the dungeon. So now I have go back down through the
minotaur
, a potential
Elder Ogre
and all the crap leading up to the fight.

45551-Shits-on-fire-yo--Colbert-scre-T8Z0.gif

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Trust me you'll run out of healing at certain points.

I'm sure. Just with the abundance of herbs in the outside environments it felt like the game was always giving you an out. No idea about later, I'm still super early.

Also still have no idea what the crafting is in this game. I was surprised enough when I realized there's a weapon enhancing system..that let's me enhance even my starter rusty daggers.. this game really packed a shit ton of rpg systems in.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Trust me you'll run out of healing at certain points.

More often than not... until you level comfortably past 40/50 ... there are many things in the woods and dungeons that will kill you so hard you'll never have a chance to hit the start button.
You develop this new terror after fighting some boss monsters where you know certain attacks will almost certainly kill you - especially if you are already hurt - where they start to swing the attack and you reflexively hit pause only to stare at the options menu that gives you NO options to save your skin. As soon as you let time flow once again .. that fucking tail is gonna slap your shit across the valley and you are dead. Should you even watch? Just reload now? Maybe it won't kill you all the way??
Unpause -
SMACK !!!!
"Yes!! holy shit it didn't kill me! FUck yAH !! THE WIIIINNND IS PPPUU...."
*you hit the ground and die from falling damage*
"....SSSsssshhhhhhiiiiiit."

This game is one of a kind. So good. I wanna leave work so hard and go home to slay more. Like Nao.

I'm an expert

About to buy this on PSN. Really really excited! How are load times?

I've never played the disc version but the in-game load times are pretty snappy and I attribute it to the digital version. The only weird loading is when you first start the game.. the weird press start->main menu->news from Capcom->another main menu->load game->finally play.

xCobalt

Does anyone know how long it takes to level up vocations using those guards during post game? I just climbed on top of a wall and letting my pawns do the work.

I'm an expert

Is it possible to compare this game to Dark Souls?
If so, considering I loved DS, how much am I going to enjoy this one?
Thanks.

I just came off of finishing Dark's platinum a week ago right into this game. This game plays a lot more like an action/rpg or, if you've played it, Kingdoms of Amalur. The customization and systems, imo, blow Souls away, but the game is your typical quests from a sign board mmo gameplay mixed with a bit of Monster Hunter for epic fights. As a Souls player you'll have no issue mastering the combat, but you might take a bit to get used to managing a party of 4 and their classes/gear.

The games are pretty much nothing alike, but share that dark fantasy common theme that makes it fun to draw parallels. As much as I adore the combat in Souls, it's very satisfying whizzing around, climbing monsters, jump attacking, etc in this game.

More often than not... until you level comfortably past 40/50 ... there are many things in the woods and dungeons that will kill you so hard you'll never have a chance to hit the start button.
You develop this new terror after fighting some boss monsters where you know certain attacks will almost certainly kill you - especially if you are already hurt - where they start to swing the attack and you reflexively hit pause only to stare at the options menu that gives you NO options to save your skin. As soon as you let time flow once again .. that fucking tail is gonna slap your shit across the valley and you are dead. Should you even watch? Just reload now? Maybe it won't kill you all the way??
Unpause -
SMACK !!!!
"Yes!! holy shit it didn't kill me! FUck yAH !! THE WIIIINNND IS PPPUU...."
*you hit the ground and die from falling damage*
"....SSSsssshhhhhhiiiiiit."

This game is one of a kind. So good. I wanna leave work so hard and go home to slay more. Like Nao.
Those are moments when a shield saves your life.

So I just got to the
the priest and the dragon
fight. I got my ass handed to me at 72 and then I reloaded my checkpoint and ended up back where I last slept at the start of the dungeon. So now I have go back down through the
minotaur
, a potential
Elder Ogre
and all the crap leading up to the fight.

45551-Shits-on-fire-yo--Colbert-scre-T8Z0.gif
yeah, that's the part where shit really started to hit the fan and get difficult. I still haven't managed to kill one of those chained gorecyclops yet. dragons are easy for me, they're weakness plays right into my strength. Some of the other stuff is kicking my ass though.

I got to the bottom of BBI and...got destroyed. I need to train, lol. I'm back in everfall. Got a new badass sword for my warrior on BBI though, it was well worth it.

Update(New player still): Sorted my pawn out, turned him into a sorcerer, relaized i need a new weapon for him to actually attack with. Shield counters and learning how to properly pace attacks to make the most out of a stamina bar. I was frustrated earlier, but the game is starting to sink in for me and it's getting pretty awesome. Mechanically, The combat is by far the best feeling in any RPG this gen.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've never played the disc version but the in-game load times are pretty snappy and I attribute it to the digital version. The only weird loading is when you first start the game.. the weird press start->main menu->news from Capcom->another main menu->load game->finally play.

Cool, thanks. This download is taking forever though...Ugh

Eusis

Oh yeah, and Dark Arisen DID make a 5+ GB game file afterall, so maybe it wasn't using the DD data afterall and that time I backed out at 14 MB was because I was barely playing at the time. Weird though, I'd figure at least a few hundred GB given I was in Gran Soren, outside Cassardis, then in Cassardis.

RangerBAD

yeah, that's the part where shit really started to hit the fan and get difficult. I still haven't managed to kill one of those chained gorecyclops yet. dragons are easy for me, they're weakness plays right into my strength. Some of the other stuff is kicking my ass though.

I got to the bottom of BBI and...got destroyed. I need to train, lol. I'm back in everfall. Got a new badass sword for my warrior on BBI though, it was well worth it.

I had to sit in the tunnel for like 45 minutes trying to hope my pawns would do big spells on the
black dragon
. No one had Holy Affinity.

xCobalt

I had to sit in the tunnel for like 45 minutes trying to hope my pawns would do big spells on the
black dragon
. No one had Holy Affinity.

This was my strategy:
I just focus fired on the sorcerer while trying to evade the dragon. As soon as the sorcerer went down, so did the dragon! Got drops from the dragon and managed to get a piece of equipment dragonforged.

Top Bottom